1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exalted 3E Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Friendly warning. 'Condoning' IP theft is not against board policy: linking to warez is. Now I am not a moderator, but having a base level of expected civility is considered a prequisite of being a member of this board. If you cannot handle that, you are free to leave. ;)

2. Valette-Serafina

Valette-Serafina Shameless Shadow

Personally, I'm expecting a standard of quality comparable to d&d 5th.

I don't want perfect. I do want a system that runs smoother than what I've got. What it looks like I'm getting is a system where my players will roll, write down everything they rolled, roll again, write that and compare, roll again, total, and then maybe roll some more.
    This is assuming there's nothing like the Third Excellency, which I'm not going to unless I've got evidence or the Book.

For a subsystem, that maybe one or two of my players will use, that I need to learn in-and-out so I can explain it to new players and catch mistakes and that will eat my time and attention, because every time a player makes an artefact, I need to know.

As a Storyteller, I am not pleased that Ex3 seems, if anything, more drawn out. I am quite tired of spending more than four minutes while my players roll for one thing, and I'd really really hoped that the devs would actually think of a way to reduce the amount of rolling needed for Craft.

They increased it, apparently.

One titled developer, more than one person developing the game.
    When I say devs, I mean the people writing the rules.
    If they ended up off by a year, they shouldn't have given the date.
    I will, however, admit that I can't actually remember what the first release date was. It's been that long.

I wasn't really mad at the first deadline they missed, though. Nor the second, nor the third.
    "First Financial Quarter of 2014" was fine, and I wasn't even mad when it hit Autumn.
    I've still seen nothing, though. A statblock, a few Charms. A little art.

I backed at Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, to clarify. $145, about 92 Pounds.
    And that's very unfortunate. It's also a thing that happens sometimes. The world is not kind.
    Did he not have someone at his right hand? Would Ex3 have died if he'd been hit by a bus?

I've already put $145 into this. I own a deluxe copy of the book, just as soon as they print it.
    I've still not seen the leak, though. Can't find it. I'd rather like to, because I want to test the new rules myself. I've been looking forward to doing so for a year and a half.

So far, the only analysis of the system I've seen is the Craft analysis given by the person you just insulted, who may very well have backed the Kickstarter themself, and thus have already acquired a copy of Ex3.

I'm sorry? Does posting on a certain board grant extra legitimacy?

It's just that I've heard certain things about the moderation of RPG.net, and to be quite frank I don't post on Spacebattles ether.

Yes. It's a really big risk, so they need a system that's beyond reproach. One that doesn't look at the problems of Ex2 and double down.
    I truly hope that's what they made, because I deeply love Exalted. It is far and above my favourite game, absolutely.

What I've seen so far tells me that I might as well stick with the edition that has Alchemicals and Infernals, that I've run on and off for more than five years.

A year and a half. That's how long I've been waiting for my copy.
    It's been there in the back of my mind all this time, sometimes rushing to the forefront: "How will the new system handle this? What about that? And Heavenly Guardian Defence, how will that work?"

Every single update they announced on the Kickstarter, I searched for actual meat, meaning rather than trivial excitement or art or fluff. "I know about Creation, tell me whether we'll still be using Shaping! How will Firewands work? Is sorcery still mirrored by necromancy?"

I haven't found the leak. Haven't seen the things in it.
    I want to know how it works.
    I'll explore it thoroughly, and discuss it at the club I attend, and bring it with me when I visit the local gaming shop to discuss there.
    If there's space and interest, and if there's some merit to the rules, I'll use my rulebook.

If not, it'll be a very pretty ninety quid shelf warmer, and I'll keep using my Ex2 books. I have most of them, after all. It'd be nice not needing to buy 7+ books to run vanilla Creation, and I'd have Alchemicals without needing to wait eight years.

3. Non-Euclidean

Non-Euclidean Gone for Good

Moderator has already been discussed about what IS illegal, which if you don't know what I am referring to do a google search on IP laws. I'll give you a hint, what IS illegal has happened on this thread. You've been warned. Any further posting of materials from the book will result in contact from CCP lawyers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. Non-Euclidean

Non-Euclidean Gone for Good

Correct, and thank you for your clarification.
    Re-check Onyx Path's commentary on release date estimates. They were quite clear that it's not a release date, it's an estimate.

Ask RichT and co. some time about that because the answer you're going to get is going to surprise you.

He hasn't. That's 100% confirm-able and knowable. He hasn't received a copy because no one has. Full stop. I said my piece on what I think of people who people who pirate. I don't care if you don't like that. I don't care if you think that is insulting.

5. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

...Wow you guys are rabid about this I gather.
    Then again, it's not that I do not understand this kind of attitude~ Waiting a long time for stuff you really wanted tended to be...frustrating.

6. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Verbal knife fights are pretty much bread and butter when it comes to Exalted.

And that was just over the every day stuff, let alone a whole new edition.

7. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Non-Euclidean is now permanently banned for attitude and threatening QQ, via the means of making false accusations of IP law violations, directly to a moderator, after being warned to stop engaging in this behavior. To be on the safe side, we have made minor edits to certain individual's posts, in the instance of direct copy-pasting of text from 3E.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    tighearnach, BBJimmy, Yzarc and 15 others like this.
  8. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

It's blue balls I tell you. Our frustration is a thing of legend, and now it's exploding all over the faces of everyone who sets foot in this thread. :p

9. Valette-Serafina

Mm. For example, I will absolutely defend Creation having a 25 hour day, despite no canon support whatsoever.

(We get attached. It's something that makes people care about it.)

10. Stroth

Stroth Definitely not an AI

I Fully support this unwarranted crazyness and will defend it to the death if necessary.

11. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

IIRC, I think 25 hour days is canon.

12. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Incidentally, that's also what I've thought on Creation with 25 hour days.

5 hours per Maiden/Gaian element, I swear, it's like our minds think alike :p

13. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

The Bii has been doing exalted since 1st edition in 2001 with a hard cover still intact.

The Bii recalls the Original Exalted Compendium and its community that was so fierce that well... yeah. Also the Exalted Compendium Redux, aka Patternspider.net before it got bought out along with pbp.patternspider.net before it fell along with its parent forum.

The Bii remembers the Unofficial Exalted Wiki and the Official [before it fell] with the White Wolf forums.

The Bii is ancient and has for now laid aside the HOARY ANCIENT mantle of HAKU it once wore with pride.

More the Bii remembers all the verbal knife fights.... from 1st ed Lunars to 2nd ed DBs and Fairfolk and various goddamn splat broken stuff.

The Bii recalls the dispair and hate for 2nd ed before eventually adapting and making it bending over and squeal for the Bii's amusement.

14. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

So you think things will settle down over time as people come to accept 3e too?

15. BFldyq

BFldyq It's pronounced Be-Fled-Ick

Valette-Serafina, I spent $375, American, on it. Roughly 2.6 what you spent on it.

If I can be calm about this, I fully expect others to do so.

16. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

House rules are easy to do.

I mean craft and kung fu shouldn't be XP sinks... I've always house ruled it thus for craft....

And yes... people will settle down. Heck, the Bii didn't like the Tick system at first but adjusted. Give it time.

kinglugia likes this.
  17. Valette-Serafina

I've never seen a clock, but I've ordered the hours as

Mercury’s hours begin the day, for journeys are begun in the morning.
    Mars' hours are the middle of the day, the time of battles and hard work, the day's challenge.
    Venus' hours follow the end of work, the relaxation of free time and the joy of the afternoon.
    Jupiter's hours herald sunset, the cloak of night and the mysteries of dreams.
    Saturn's hours are dark and dead, empty of words and warmth. They end afore the sun rises.

In common use, one might say: "Jupiter's third hour." or "Under Jupiter's eye."
    In formal use, each hour probably has several names and a god.

Not sure if the Immaculates would change it.
    If I don't like Ex3, I'll stick with Ex2. It's not like my dice will stop working with it.

So yeah, after time things'll be quieter on the subject when the people who had hope ether lose it or have it validated.
    Mm? I feel strongly on the subject, but I don't see anything particularly objectionable about my posts?

I used a lot of italics?
    (I'll also point out that $145 was literally everything I could spend on it at the time.)
    Hacking it into turn-based initiative is really simple, unless your group makes a lot of use of movement.
    If they do, hit them with a hardback rulebook until they stop.
    (Or run movement separately from turns.)

18. tehelgee

True.

Well... I can see why they'd do it they way they did as far as Craft and MA using multiple abilities.

Knowing how to cook well has nothing do with being able to build a house. Knowing how to use Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style isn't going to help you to learn Righteous Devil.

I never really cared for it either. Way too accounting heavy. I like the new 'everybody has one turn per round' style they have now.

It's abstracted in 3e into ranges. No more counting meters of movement.

19. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Ehh, I'd lean towards them keeping it.

They acknowledge the Incarnae as distant, but powerful and important gods who are to be paid proper respect and worship at the allotted times.

So I can see them keeping it.

20. Valette-Serafina

And knowing how to fight with a knife has more in common with fist-fighting than using a longsword.

Or, for less combaty examples, riding a horse is not the same as surfing. (If you use sail for surfing, first why and second that's even more different.)
    Good change, for the most part. I do rather hope they've done something to allow fighters to move at the same time, rather than d&d "five-foot out of melee" sillyness.
    I'm inclined to agree.

21. tehelgee

A regular move action is a reflexive action that can be done once per round and can move the character one range band.

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  22. Stroth

Well, no. That would be crazy. You use Survival for surfing. Waves are environmental hazards. That require a balance roll.

23. tehelgee

Or just buy Graceful Crane Stance and ignore balance rolls.

24. Stroth

I consider the entire Fuck Your Athletics Checks charm cascade to always be an unspoken option, yes.

25. Valette-Serafina

But then it's Athletics, unless you do it with a Daiklave and use Melee.

Skitzyfrenic, BBJimmy and kinglugia like this.
  26. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Perhaps this isn't the right place for it, but what the hell: anybody feel like running an Exalted game on these forums? Or the IRC, or whatever?

Admittedly, the only Exalted I know about is Infernals and a little bit of Alchemicals.

27. tehelgee

I'd want to play it, not run it. :/

tighearnach, fitzgerald and kinglugia like this.
  28. Anasurimbor

Anasurimbor I trust you know where the happy button is?

Was canon. This was changed to 24 hours for 3E.

kinglugia likes this.
  29. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Interested in playing as an Infernal. Doing some...research on them. Might make custom charms based on my patron Yozis.

Valette-Serafina likes this.
  30. Stroth

I'd probably play but I there's no way I'm will to run one.