1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome back to QQ. The search function will be unavailable for some hours until the index has been rebuilt.
    Dismiss Notice

Fourth [Worm Altpower!Taylor]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TCGM, Feb 3, 2018.

1. CrunchySharpie

CrunchySharpie A wild Bowsette appeared!

Coil is an extremely tall, lanky, and by accent likely ethnic white person. Out of everyone in the building Calvert fits that description more than most and would be a likely suspect. So basically, do what police would normally do with a masked suspect, profile by everything but their facial features. Armsmasters rig could probably do it in his sleep.

~[]~ and Grimrr like this.
  2. vladspellbinder

vladspellbinder Odd and obscure vampiric panther

In this case "ethnic profiling" would mean racial discrimination against african americans, which Armsmaster is unlikely to do because of who he is. At least that was my read on it.

It was never mentioned in canon but W.O.G. from Wildbow is that Calvert is black. A few fanfics use this bit of trivia at times, normally to stir up trouble with the Empire, but it is not often brought up because most of the time Coil is dealt with in costume and not in his civilian identity.

~[]~, Einonymouse, Grimrr and 3 others like this.
  3. IronyIsGood

IronyIsGood Making the rounds.

*Unlurks*
    There was this one fic where he was played by Morgan Freeman.
    *Relurks*

Jonn Wolfe and One-who-reads like this.
  4. Flutters Is Shy

Flutters Is Shy Friend of the Rage

Drop it before we attract the mods like they did over on SV.

5. CrunchySharpie

You mind quoting that tidbit of WOG? Because I certainly don't remember that being the case.

The mods over at SV are a bunch of fun police. QQs mods dont care about this unless you're actively being a dick. This is talking about the ethnicity of a character as he is described in the most recent chapter, hardly a reason for any mod intervention. Listing actual facts about the character is not a reason for mod intervention. Now insulting him based on race, sure, that's worthy of it, but we're not doing that.

~[]~, january1may, WhiteNoise and 4 others like this.
  6. vladspellbinder

vladspellbinder Odd and obscure vampiric panther

It was said in Discord; screen capture here

The wiki has...its problems we'll say but it is a resource to be used when needed.

7. CrunchySharpie

Huh, consider me learnt. Thank you.

8. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It kind of has unfortunate implications, because it makes him another named black character in Worm who shows serious criminal tendencies.

january1may and Starfox5 like this.
  9. SomeoneCrazy

SomeoneCrazy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Okay, and...? Black people are ~15% of the population, aren't they? Compare the number of black villains to white villains in Brockton - I havent - and unless it's like 30+% black, it's a decent representation. Even then, if you were to consider the economic difficulties likely to occur to any black person with an extremely powerful racist gang in their city, it wouldnt seem that strange. Using tactics extreme enough to be labeled a villain to attempt to defend their entire neighborhood wouldnt be ridiculous. Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't a blacks-only gang, vying for power and control of a portion of the city. Whites and Asians have one, even if the separate Asian peoples were basically forced into it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    ~[]~, Einonymouse and WaNoMatsuri like this.
  10. CrunchySharpie

Actually it's around 13% in the United States, though considering there's only like 3-4 notable black villains that are named that still falls within an acceptable margin of error, so your point still stands

~[]~ and Einonymouse like this.
  11. SomeoneCrazy

SomeoneCrazy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah, my bad, what I said is the prison population, not general population.

~[]~ likes this.
  12. Prince Charon

The problem is that, AFAICT, Worm has more named black characters (that is to say, named characters that we know are black) who show serious criminal tendencies than it has named black characters who do not show serious criminal tendencies. I think someone made a list, but if so, I'm drawing a blank on who and where.

13. One-who-reads

One-who-reads Illuminatus

I have been looking for an ET fic for a few months now. And the first one I find is this absolute gem. Keep up the good work.

I'm kinda hoping Taylor or new Emma unleash the Shaper shard on Piggot to fix her kidneys. With or without consent.

14. WaNoMatsuri

WaNoMatsuri Know what you're doing yet?

You know, as an European I never understood racizm. You are all American, yes? In Europe we only have national-izm so it's weird to me to judge someone for their skin tone. If you are German or Russian... ;p

15. Prince Charon

The only reply that I think I can give here is that I hope you aren't trying to bait people into a 'current politics' argument, which is what it honestly looks to me like you are doing.

january1may and WhiteNoise like this.
  16. WaNoMatsuri

... It does? I don't follow politics so I wouldn't know, I just saw ppl saying there is too much black villains like it matters what skin color they have and tried to express my confusion.

17. Prince Charon

I don't want you to think that I'm ignoring you, but I don't know how to answer (to explain why your post made me think that you were baiting/trolling) without referencing current politics in the US and Europe.

18. WaNoMatsuri

Eh, I wouldn't be interested anyway. Let's drop it, ok?

Prince Charon likes this.
  19. Diraniola

Diraniola Not too sore, are you?

I wonder if Dragon is going to have a Scion shard or another unusual one. Also, is Taylor copying all the shards she comes across? She really needs to get fully grown if she wants to deal with the Warrior when he eventually tantrums.

~[]~ and Prince Charon like this.
  20. january1may

january1may Versed in the lewd.

Generic and non-political(-ish) answer to the initial post:

Europe (especially Eastern Europe) does not have a significant population of non-white people, and many of the non-white people that are around on European streets turn out to be rich visitors rather than poor locals. So they're seen as exotic but not something to discriminate against.

Meanwhile, the USA has a well-established large black minority (and a smaller but also significant Asian minority), both of which (but especially the former) tend to be poorer than average for complicated historical reasons (which go back over a century, and don't actually have much to do with current politics). This makes them an obvious target of discrimination.

Of course, discrimination against the other is in the human nature, and since Europe lacks such obvious others as in the USA, they have to make do with what they have, which mostly turns out to be people from different nations in Europe or nearby (Russia, Poland, Turkey, and Syria are common targets, IIRC; I'm not aware of much anti-German discrimination, but I would not be especially surprised if it also exists).

21. CrunchySharpie

This doesn't even go into the gang situation which exacerbates the problem. Not going into the politics either but America has a bit of a gang problem. Though overall, crime and aggression has been trending downwards since the early to mid 90's where it was the worst. Several theories on that I've seen was due to high lead poisoning from leaded gas which we phased out in the 80's, millions of people had unsafe lead toxicity levels and one of the main side effects of lead poisoning is increased aggression and stunted critical thinking, two hallmarks of the average thug.

Edit: which makes it kind of hilarious that the entities are basically the cosmic equivalent to environmental lead contamination because of all the conflict drives they're handing out.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    ~[]~, Einonymouse, Anaerobie and 4 others like this.
  22. Daimonin

Daimonin Getting sticky.

Huh haven't heard that theory, but it sounds interesting. Makes me wonder if lead found in paint would have a similar effect. It's not used anymore nowadays, but older houses in extremely poor areas might still have it, simply due to lack of interest or income to repaint. And it's probably peeling and saturating the air due to its age.
    Hell, lead plumbing used to be a thing, though I don't know if the states got rid of it all or if there's still buildings/area that use it, simply because it still works.

23. Jonn Wolfe

Jonn Wolfe (Verified Sarcastic) (Not a Wolf)

If you think about it, every main villain in Worm is a caricature. When I say main, let's go with the Gang Leaders of Lung, Kaiser, Skidmark, Coil, and Jack Slash for the examples. Lazy Bastard who will fry you if you poke him; Megalomaniac who uses racism to gain power; a Crack-Head who had a decent thought last decade; a Slimy, Creepy Fuck who believes he's a Bond-Bad-Guy; and a Suave Bastard with a Knife.

There's nothing wrong with using a caricature, but sometimes it's difficult to see them as anything else. Some ficwriters try to make an Honourable Samurai, a Magneto-Wannabe, a fake crackhead who's actually a Cunning Bastard, an Anti-Villain who actually wants to make the Bay safe, and a Suave Bastard with a Knife. *shrugs* I can't see Jack as anything but Captain Jack Sparrow, good or bad.

Anyway, with all of them being caricatures, racism is going to fall into it rather heavily... I mean, BB is the Nazi Capital of the US, for pity's sake. Kinda hard not to get stuck in epithets and slurs with them in town.

Still, so what if Coil's black? A creepy fuck is a creepy fuck is a creepy fuck, and isn't dependant on skin tone. Look at Hannibal Lecter. He was played by Sir Anthony Hopkins, and that's one Creepy Fuck!

At any rate, shitty people are going to be shitty no matter what they look like. That's my two bits.
    [edit] forgot the Sir, in Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020