1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'General' started by Master of Squirrel-fu, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

2. Tikitau

Tikitau Definitely Not A Pattern Spider

Mmf.

Well, cannot drive out now, so may as well try and sleep throigh it

Edit: is either that or drive myself crazy with fear and worry and anxiety

Editedit: Water is down a little from tbis morning. Just taking it day by day, really. *curls up in chair with a bowl of hot soup and an afghan blanket and a book* z.z

Editedotedit: is monday morning here in houston, streets and yard are drained, but still chance of more rain, so not comfy yet.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Xicree likes this.
  3. ChandraMagic

ChandraMagic Just a Bit Ditzy Moderator

And they just opened the Lake Conroe Dam, and the Barker and Addicks dams are trying to dump water, but not succeeding (water is rising despite it, my god).

I don't even have a reference point for this clusterfuck any more.

1986ctcel and Xicree like this.
  4. ChandraMagic

1986ctcel likes this.
  5. ChandraMagic

Apparently, an updated evacuation list (Of note, that Dickinson is mandatory, NOT temporary, with a 'if you can't get out/don't get out, we can't rescue you' warning):

http://abc13.com/2337616/

Yes, a triple post, but I'm iffy on just editing this in and not letting people get potential alerts on this type of thing.

That bit about Dickinson is just...it's chilling.

1986ctcel likes this.
  6. ninjafish

ninjafish Extremely Rude. Gone for Good

ping.

I just got back from fishing in my back yard.

I caught a Bass.

And no I don't keep fish back there, or even have a pond or pool of any sort.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Smuthunter and 1986ctcel like this.
  7. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

I live on the NE part of Harris County and it's not good. The San Jacento river is flooding, and neigherhoods around Lake Houston are fleeing/need rescue. I'm still dry, but watching things closely.

8. Tikitau

Well, bayous are draining properly down here in my region, and our local municipality just brought the wastewater plant back online, so normal water usage can resume for the moment.

Future is the future, but we are cautiously optimistic in our area. Weather reports are showing a chance of actual sunlight before the weekend, so suppose it just depends at this point.

9. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Likewise, just heard the crest of the Brazos has come down. East of I-45, we haveanother 12 hours of rain at least.

10. Tikitau

Hm.

My neighborhood is officially considering things finished.

The local milk & cookie walk-up bar (It's attached to one of the local restaurants) has opened up and is doing gangbusters selling hot coffee and pastries, as usual. xD

(Seriously, ten or twenty people standing about in drizzle for overpriced coffee and five dollar kolachies. xD)

Still sucks for some areas of Houston Metro, but mine is starting to have the local AccuWeather/Channel 13 weather updates remove 'major flooding will continue' on their forecasts, the streets are wet but not puddling, and things seem to be decent at the moment, knock on wood (AKA, Don't Smite Me, God-Bros! *implores Poseidon and Zeus for mercy*)

Hey, I can go to my doctor's physical tomorrow, then!
    ...oh.
    *slumps*
    I can go to my doctor's physical tomorrow.
    *sad mandible clicking* *eight simultaneous sad mecha spider shoulder slumps*

11. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

From the sound of things the west side save for the Addicks reservoir region is starting to clear. However the East side is still getting hammered. Forcasts have it moving out by Wednesday morning, but the question stands on when the river flooding will crest.

12. Tikitau

Hope for the best, prep for the worst, I suppose.

Also, I'd go for the local channels over the Weather Company/Weather Channel for my info. I've...noticed they have gotten a bit, well, -sensationalist-, these days...

13. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Agreed. KHOU and KPRC are the two best sources for news here. The former is still brodcasting even after having to evacuate from their studio.

14. ChandraMagic

Yeah, KHOU have been champions, and the station that took them in is too (I think it was another station that took them in and let them share broadcast bandwidth, but I can't remember; it's been days ago and oh god).

15. Aleh

Aleh Destroyer of Faith in Humanity

Many sympathies to you guys -- especially since I'm about to be in the same situation. Thanks, Irma!

16. TheOtherSandman

TheOtherSandman Well worn.

Fuck, this is annoying. Can't sleep because the hurricane is making too much noise.
    Pipe down, will ya!

Tikitau likes this.