1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

News and Headlines...

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Nov 11, 2016.

1. CreepyUncleLuke

CreepyUncleLuke Superior Shut-In

Well, that's the Royals done for then. The only respectable Royal left has passed on. RIP Liz.

NounNoun likes this.
  2. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

I don’t think Charles will be that popular as king. But at least Andrew is not king.

NounNoun likes this.
  3. bobnik

bobnik Some Random Wonka

Charles simply isn't going to get the same amount of time to work on it. But yeah, glad it's not Andrew.

GoodOldChap and vyor like this.
  4. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

Yeah. Charles isn't actually a bad guy, but he has made unpopular moves and doesn't have 70 years to become a British institution like his mother did. He doesn't have the time or likely the inclination to build up the mystique and public persona like Elizabeth did.

NounNoun, GoodOldChap, Walkir and 2 others like this.
  5. Blackgutter

He at best is unremarkable, at worst annoying and weird.

on a different subject:

I still find it annoying people get so mad at others criticizing someone after they die unless they despise them. Like, what unwriting waiting period rule is there about this sort of thing? There’s no difference shitting on the queen the day of her death or 20 years from now. She”s still dead.

SuperMod and bryanfran36 like this.
  6. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

The phrase you're looking for is "too soon".

In short, it's called having some human decency to not dump on someone who just died. It's not a very high bar.

7. Darrenb209

Darrenb209 Only way to survive is keeping your eyes on screen

Technically, the appropriate phrase is "Long Live the King" now.

Well, unless you're backing Princess Anne and are intending to cause a succession crisis.

LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  8. Blackgutter

I don’t really understand that part unless we’re talking about a random nobody. If it’s a public figure, I really don’t get it why it matters. I don’t bother trying to do it anyway because of the infraction I’ll get and people stop caring in about a week.

9. Darrenb209

Public figures are people too, with families who care about them and who would appreciate it just as much as a random stranger if idiots on the internet could extend basic human decency.

You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree that it's necessary, but the reasoning behind it is exactly as sound for a public figure as for a random stranger.

"A person died, don't be an arse."

10. Biigoh

I'm going to lay it out as simple as possible.

A person died. It doesn't matter if they're J Random Old Person or J Random Young Person or X Celebrity or Y Royalty. It doesn't matter because they're human and a person at the end of the day.

It's BARE basic human human decency to not dump on them because they're people and they just died.

This is like if your parents died and someone going "I don't see why I can't dump on them, they're dead and no one cares, right?" right afterwards.

So, it's not a celebrity/royalty thing, it's about someone who just died.

11. Blackgutter

That wouldnt happen because Im a nobody and no one would hate me enough to bother. Regardless I dont personally do it myself because its a pointless attempt at being edgy that gets old when people stop pearl clutching after the persons been dead for a while. I just object in princible because it makes zero sense, arbitrary time period after a person dies and suddenly their untouchable.

12. Biigoh

But if someone hates your parents enough to do so after they die? Or they absolutely loathe you?

It's an arbitrary thing that goes don't talk smack about dead people especially if the death was recent.

It's kind of like when 9/11 happened, you don't talk smack about the event or the people who died right after it.

If you can't work out why you shouldn't disrespect the recent dead, I don't know what to say.

Aureus, metalax, vyor and 1 other person like this.
  13. Blackgutter

I get why not to do it, people get mad and pissy at you and then usually on a forum you get ejected from a thread. Doing it in person is social suicide. Doesnt stop from some of the queen death jokes being funny.

Edit: I am not sure how much more I can discuss this because I think I might be violating the off topic rule for the thread. Sorry for the derail.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  14. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Mr. Archleone Gone for Good

The thing I find annoying is that people want to disrespect Queen Elizabeth when she earned her respect for her duty during WW2.

Like holy hell she drove ambulances while London was being bombed by Nazis, and people want to disrespect her now that she's passed away.

Fuck those people.

15. Darrenb209

I wouldn't mind people criticising her if they were actually criticising her and not just being opportunistic arses who waited until she was dead to find the "courage".

But none of the criticism I've seen is actually fairly aimed at her. She is not responsible for Andrew's actions, nor does her lack of apology for the actions of the British Empire amount to tacit support like I've seen some people say. She couldn't actually apologise without breaking British law and breaching Parliamentary Supremacy, and the last British Monarch to do that lost their head. Literally.

16. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

I think the arbitrary time period has to do with giving the people who do care about the deceased, whose emotions are likely pretty raw, time to work through their grief (the corpse obviously doesn’t care either way). Whether the cutoff should be more clearly defined, probably, but it is what it is.

That said, I don’t really think how famous a given person is has much to do with how socially acceptable dancing on their grave is seen as, it being more to do with how reviled or beloved they are. The local rapist or Osama bin Laden aren’t likely to get many defenders, but a local hero or Robin Williams probably aren’t acceptable targets. The Queen isn’t as controversial as say, Margaret Thatcher (and there was pushback to celebrations of her death), but there’s still a fair bit of antipathy directed toward the royal family and the institution it represents.

17. Firedon

Firedon Experienced.

I just want to say if someone thinks people haven't been criticizing her for all the things they're bringing up right now then they haven't been looking in the right places.

18. MadGreenSon

There are no perfect people. She wasn't always right, wasn't always the best, but IMO she was pretty good all the same. There is definitely criticism of her, legitimate and not.

However, it remains true that if you find a world leader that you think has no faults and nothing wrong with them, then I've found which world leader has snared you with their hype machine and has you believing their lies.

19. Blackgutter

she was a apolitical figurehead for the uk. Most of what she did to affect change must by definition be very little for her to stay apolitical as queen of England.

20. MadGreenSon

She did charity work as I understand it and otherwise upheld the functions of being Queen. Undoubtedly there is some politics in it, but... <shrug> So what? Her main goal as I understand it was to influence the voting public towards one party/issue or another as little as possible.

Whether the people of the UK choose to admit it or not, the Royal Family very much can and does influence them, she tried to wield that power with as light a hand as possible.

21. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

Is this the obituary thread?

Here's a photo allegedly taken at Twitter HQ:

[​IMG]

Sol Mark-1 and wasprider like this.
  22. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

It isn't from there.

Though if it is, that guy needs to be fired.

Out of a canon.

Sol Mark-1 and Walkir like this.
  23. Jomasten

Jomasten GIVE US TIAMAT OR RIOT!

24. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

25. Blackgutter

I thought Sierra Mist was much older than that.

26. TheQwertyOne

TheQwertyOne ЙЦУКЕН

wasprider and evildice like this.
  27. Blackgutter

Here hoping that that turkey can recover after the earthquake.

28. Hyp3rB14d3

Hyp3rB14d3 Violence!

Silicon Valley Bank has gone under. The bank was known for providing startup capital for new business ventures, and many companies that got their start through them still had a lot of money invested in them. FDIC insurance only covers up to $250,000 per account. All of 2.7% of the accounts in SVB had less than $250,000 in them.

Expect a tech bubble pop next week as numerous tech companies suddenly can’t pay their employees.

29. NounNoun

NounNoun Gather, Purify, Condense, Repeat Gone for Good

eh, if I say someone did a stupid on x day, and then a day later that same person dies and I again say that they did a stupid on x day, would that be insensitive? i think otherwise.

30. Darrenb209

Between that and another bank, crypto also lost 70 billion in the last 24 hours.