1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Of Ice and Men (Young Justice. Icicle Junior SI.)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Apr 19, 2022.

?

Location of Team's base.

Poll closed May 4, 2022.
  1. Missile Silo in Nebraska

46 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Ski Lodge in Colarado

23 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Lighthouse in Hawaii

28 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Ranch in Texas

19 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Summer Camp in Michigin

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Junkyard in Washington

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. Rundown Hotel in North Carolina

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Threadmarks: Chapter 25: Be The Change You Wish To Ski
    Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Chapter 25: Be The Change You Wish To Ski
    Grand Canyon, Arizona
    September 19, 5:17 AM MDT

The clinking of empty bottles in the front seat, wakes me up with a groan. Pounding in my head only gets worse as the sunlight washes over me.

The college campers had more than enough booze to share once Roy paid up. Even graciously let us share the site. Though that may have been because they love Mortal Kombat.

Patting the mattress brings great relief. Good, nobody I have to let down easy.

“Brah, keep it down.” I think it’s Calvin who complains from the floor of my van, with the pair on the bench seat mumbling agreement.

“Whatever.” Slipping out the back door, I slam it as hard as I can in a form of petty revenge. Quiet enough for ya Brah?

Six tents are scattered around the cliff side, with Patrick rapped around the fire pit like a snake. His head resting on the leg of one guy who never got out of his lawn chair.

“Did Jade even set her tent up?” I creep through the camp and find on of her hiking boots outside Roy’s crimson two-man.

“Oh...” A grin grows as I start planning the design. “This is going to be funny.” Really shouldn’t have tripped me into that puddle Roy. Get ready for a real case of blue balls.

It takes longer than I would like to create each brick individually. But in the end, it’s more than worth it.

“She’s going to kill you,” Patrick lifts his head of his leg-pillow and grins t the igloo I built around the tent. One without any door.

Shrugging at the obvious, I decide she earned it after a few of the pictures sent to Artemis. “Worth it.”

His expression shows how little he believes me. But in the end he decides the better part of valour, is feigning sleep.

“Just tell them I’ll be back for lunch. I’m going ice fishing.” And just to make sure nobody leaves me out here, I have both sets of keys.

Reaching the edge of the canyon just as the orange rays start stretching down to the river below, I inhale the fresh air. I wasn’t really able to enjoy my trip East. So it’s strange to find out Roy’s not so bad.

Hell... I think I’m starting to actually consider him a friend. How many is that now?

“Doesn’t look so high.” Peering over the edge, I do know better than just making a straight shot down. Need enough loops to slow me down.

I give the slide a sturdy anchor on the ledge and climb up. Has to be another world record.

“Kowabunga!” Throwing myself onto the slide with a gleeful abandon, I guide the tube back and forth between the canyon walls.

My speed keeps increasing and I’m forced to make over thirty loops on the way. If I didn’t, I probably would have shoot right through the ice on the last corner.

Tumbling out beside my fishing rod, I scan the river bank for a good spot. That looks slow enough, I guess it’s fine.

A quick blast of blue energy later, and a sheet of ice stretches right to the other side. Should be thick enough for a recliner.

Whistling along with the birds, I cast my line into the river. And now the fun part.

“Can’t believe how much Alan charged me for these. Better be damn good stuff.” Securing the rod between my knees, I reach into my pocket for one of my joints.

The scream of inarticulate rage that comes from up above, is muffled by both ice and distance. Knowing how long it will take to get out of the igloo, only makes me smirk as I light a match.

Midway Studios, Arizona
    September 21, 1:08 PM MDT

I wasn’t aware at the time, but Midway was in the process of liquidation when I sold my rights. In only three months, they’ve made enough to pay off the debt three times over. Everyone in America really does want to hit me.

The new offices are in the better part of Phoenix and are twice the size of the old building. At least according to the brochure.

Roy insisted on coming up with me and once I caved, the other two unbuckled their seat belts. His glare being directed at the board member is amusing. But not as funny as him insisting an archer could work in Mortal Kombat.

“I don’t mean to offend you Glenn. But...” Alberto hesitates at the suddenly deadly gleam in Jade’s eye.

“Who are they?” He nods in relief and I decide I’m not quite finished screwing with people. “Well she’s a martial arts master I grew up with. Figured you might want to base a new character on her.”

“I’m not selling my name.” Jade is quick to insist, but that just makes Alberto more excited.

He flashes a dazzling white smile and takes the assassin’s hand. “That’s even better. It’s far cheaper to just get your likeness.”

The negotiation is fast and by the time we’re back in the lobby, Roy’s face is nearly crimson. Jade seems just as pleased by her new toy’s reaction, as she is by the half million dollar check in her hand.

“Alright...” She holds it up to the light once we return to the heat. “I’m impressed. Not nearly as selfish as I remember.” Because even though I forget more than half the time, I’m not really the Cameron you grew up with.

“Tommy was right. You do take care of us Boss.” Patrick grins and puts extra emphasis on the title only he knows embarrasses me.

Bubbling with rage at not being able to change anyone insides mind, Roy just holds out his shaking hand for the keys. “Lighter’s in the glove compartment?”

“... Yeah.” Shocked at him finally succumbing, we follow him with growing excitement.

“I honestly thought he was going to throw it over the ledge once he sobered up,” Admits an equally stunned Jade.

“So did I.” I’m forced to agree as a cloud of smoke emerges from my van. “I think he needed this trip more than me.” The coughing that follows gets all three of us to snicker.

Doing the math in my head as Jade and Pat climb into the back, I realize we should reach El Paso by morning. Which means I need to think fast and give Artemis a call.

I’d have to be blind to ignore how hot she is. But am I honestly good enough for her?

Artemis is an actual hero who wants to help people. I’m just some lazy punk who stole her friend’s body.

But if I turn her down now... That’s a door I’m closing forever.

2. ThedudeManBro

ThedudeManBro The Dudeliest Man on the block, Bro!

Do it! Just do it! Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday, you said tomorrow. So just do it!

Make your dreams come true! Just do it!

Some people dream of success, while you're gonna wake up and work hard at it! Nothing is impossible! You should get to the point where anyone else would quit, and you're not gonna stop there! No, what are you waiting for? Do it! Just do it! Yes you can!

Just do it!

If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up!

JUST DO IT! BREED HER!
    Wait wha-
    [​IMG]

3. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Glenn, Glenn, Glenn. Your destiny lies in Norway. There you will meet your soulmate: Ice! The two of you will have so much in common, it is like a professional writer designed her just to be your counterpart.

For real though. Your adoptive father is a brilliant doctor and engineer. Your girlfriend is doomed to become Cyborg after he saves her from a terrible accident.

For REAL for real. Artemis is a fine junior hero, but she is not cut out for the Justice League with her current skill set. She has some growing up to do. She could retire, she could undergo some transformation to get powers, she could get some super science surgery upgrade… And she has friends who’ll support her fragile heart through that. Be a friend, not a peg for a hole in her heart.
    Now Raquel (Rocket) is someone you can trade jabs with who won’t let her life revolve around you. You can continue your exploration, pranks and commissions while she studies back home. If you care about kids with superpowers growing up under terrible parents like you, Artemis, and Jade did, Raquel is the sort who’ll work to fix things politically. Does anyone here feel bad for Polka Dot Man from the last Suicide Squad? Anyone in Young Justice could have turned out like him, or a messed up kid/teen from Worm.

You’re earning a lot of money. But you’re not a science or magic guy. But you can be an advocate for social stuff, Glenn, and you won’t have to do it alone if you have someone passionate and stubborn by your side.

4. Flightless Man

But what if they're Cameron's dreams?

Glenn's just not in the right head space for a relationship beyond something casual.

5. Threadmarks: Interlude 16: Super Sons
    Flightless Man

Interlude 16: Super Sons
    Metropolis, Delaware
    September 19, 4:52 PM EDT

While Superboy and Robin finish their hot dogs on the roof of the Daily Planet, Superman floats in front of them with a warm smile. “This is a good city to test out the wings. The streets are wide enough, you shouldn’t be in any danger of crashing.”

“Thanks again for letting us use... whatever alloy this is. It’s light enough to glide and still block a low calibre bullet.” Now in an arms race with Artemis, Robin has a pair of folded wings in place of his cape.

“And thanks for letting Robin come on patrol with us.” Kirk frowns at his teammate.

Without his clone being an exact copy, Clark Kent has been able to see him as his own person far easier. “I was worried if I said no, Batman would just have you two patrol Gotham. We really don’t need anyone else that gloomy and figured he could use some sun.”

“Are you sure this will work?” A flustered Kirk struggles with his enchanted cape, courtesy of Giovanni Zatara.

“That’s why I’m here to test these things out with you. In case something does go wrong, I’ll catch you before you fall even a single story.” The sheer confidence in the statement, is enough to settle both boys nerves.

Wanting to make sure this is in the papers, Robin tries to count how many floors he needs to descend. “Mister Olsen is going to be ready with his camera, right?”

“I’ll wait until you get the hang of it and then let him know.” Worried about either getting embarrassed by a bad photo, Superman shares one of his own early days. “It took me years to be able to do more than jump really high. Was actually terrified of heights for a long time.”

“No way!” Relieved that he’s not alone in his uncertainty, Robin stops trying to look relaxed.

“I still try not to look down when I’m having a bad day,” Admits the Man of Steel without any shame. “Makes me more nervous than I like to admit around Batman.”

Still focused on an earlier sentence, Kirk looks up with hope in his eyes. “How long did it take before you could fly?”

“I got to Earth when I was about one or two years old, still not completely sure how long the trip took.” Superman does some quick mental math. “I’d say it took a little over twenty years before all my current powers kicked in. But I do still occasionally notice improvements.”

“Twenty years...” Once again defeated, Kirk can only scowl at the world’s unfairness.

Trying to cheer on of the few heroes younger than himself up, Robin raises a good point. “Maybe it’s not going to take that long. You already have the strength, durability, super hearing, and thermal sight.”

“You think it might just be related to a Kryptonian’s physical age?” Superboy turns to the rich teen with desperation rolling off him in waves.

“I think it’s too early to panic. The League must have a way to do some tests to find out,” Explains Robin, with growing excitement at having a challenge to solve.

Weighing his options, Superman can’t think of any reason to object. “How do you feel about the cold? Because I have a place we could run the tests.”

National Lighthouse Museum, New York.
    September 19, 5:17 PM EDT

“Why did you want to see this place so bad?” Zatanna gives Kaldur and Tula a frown of confusion.

Garth manages to tear his eyes away from the plaques long enough to answer. “Our king was raised in one of these buildings. I have always wanted to go inside one.”

“Just remember not to jump in anymore fountains.” Rolling her eyes, Zatanna can’t find it in her to get to upset. They showed me and M’gann around Poseidonis, it’s only fair to return the favour.

“Why didn’t L’gaan come with you? I thought he couldn’t wait to surprise our favourite Martian.” He followed her around like a cleaner fish.

Suddenly the fun is sucked out of the visitors as Kaldur explains. “L’gaan resigned from the conservatory and left the city weeks ago. He was not alone and nearly one in ten students, has also taken leave.”

“That sounds suspicious.” Megan shares a frown with Zatanna.

“Which is why the king’s brother is investigating the case.” Gritting his teeth at how many friends have vanished, Garth is clearly failing at distracting himself.

Tula isn’t as angry as her partners, more overcome with grief at the loss instead. “It’s why Queen Mera granted them permission to visit. The conservatory is closed until the teachers have all been cleared.”

“So this isn’t Kaldur’s way of trying to get you on the team?” After Kaldur’s mental plea to change the subject, Megan tries to forget her own concern.

“The oceans are a big place. Atlanteans are used to long distance relationships.” Garth explains with a more tender voice. “Kaldur knows we wait for him.”

Adding to the claim, Tula has a smile that nearly conceals her sorrow. “And we know he will return to us.”

“Should we just leave you three alone and you can call this a date?” A slightly awkward Zatanna offers. “I don’t mind going to a play or something with Megan.”

“Apologies. We shall try to restrain ourselves.” Kaldur bows his head with a blush.

Glad that’s finally settled, Zatanna crosses her arms in only partially mock annoyance. “See that you do. Dad can smell hormones swirling around me from three states away.”

“Are you sure he’s not psychic?” M’gann has found it strange how often he interrupts at just the right moment to chase off some boys.

“Just a spell I haven’t figured out how to unravel.” Annoyed but also encouraged to overcome the challenge, Zatanna just shrugs. “It can’t be a very powerful one, or it would have been easy to find.”

Intrigued, Tula proves herself the most advanced of the three Atlanteans. “Any chance the spell could be adapted, once you do manage it?”​

6. NightmareWarden

All I can imagine after unraveling and rewriting that spell is getting a mental pop-up notification when your partner is in the mood. And I have a few guesses why someone who can teleport via magic would want to know every time their partner gets hot and bothered.

I wonder if those anthropomorphic Atlanteans disappeared without any fuss. If there was no sign of a fight and they aren’t with their families, something terrible might have happened with zero leakages. Ugh. It is a bit of a mood killer after Glenn’s giant toilet gag.

7. Flightless Man

Something happened to his wife. He's just being cautious.

They dropped out of school. No sign of struggle in any of their rooms.

8. Threadmarks: Chapter 26: Rebel Without A Claus
    Flightless Man

Chapter 26: Rebel Without A Claus
    El Paso, Texas
    September 20, 4:01 PM MDT

After giving Pat the keys, I left him to chaperone Jade and Roy. It doesn’t take long for Huntress to find me in a costume already upgraded since last time I saw her in it. I better not look stupid in this.

The main reason I detoured to Arizona first, was to pick up the replica Sub-Zero suit. Back in July I would have looked like it was only cosplay with my scrawny arms. But I’ve bulked up enough in the upper body, that I’m willing to give it a try.

“Please tell me that’s not just a Halloween costume.” Artemis is waiting on a roof overlooking the Kord Tech office, very clearly trying to hold in belly laughter.

“The mask is a little hard to breathe in.” Reaching up, I pull the black hood off and shake out my hair. “But Jade gave it a few good stabs just to make sure it’s passable.” Alberto needed to be convinced that the character with the same name, should get a new look.

Swallowing a ball of nerves, I decide it’s better to get this over with. “I did a whole lot a thinking and I don’t know if you’re going to like my answer.”

“Building up the suspense, is really not going to help.” She warns me after a solid five seconds of silence. “Just spit it out and we can go find someone to hit.”

“I’m picking out my college and you’re just starting grade ten. Not really a great look for someone fresh out of Belle Reve.” Taking a seat on the edge of the roof, I gesture for her to join me.

Choosing to pace instead, she frowns down at me. “So you think you’re too grown up for me?”

“Do you actually want to date me, or are you just worried I might relapse?” Now it’s her turn for silence, gaping like a fish at my bluntness.

“I’m not the Cameron you grew up with anymore and I need to find out what that means now that I’m free.” I just don’t want to hold you back. “I still have no idea who I’m going to become. But I know you’re going to be a hero.” It’s better for both of us this way.

She doesn't answer immediately and I start getting nervous. “Look. I still think you’re smoking hot...”

“You just want something more.” Her tone speaks volumes about her own self confidence.

“Something less actually.” I’m not ready for anything serious and I definitely don’t want to screw around with somebody I care about. “Anything more than casual sex is too much for me. You deserve all of somebody and I’m just not able to provide.”

“You aren’t just saying this so you can sleep with my sister?” Needing to make sure Jade’s seduction to the dark side hasn’t worked, Artemis growls with the promise of pain.

“I think Roy saved me from that.”
    Seemingly alright with the explanation, Artemis offers me a hand up. “Thanks for just being straight with me about that. Zatanna was filling my head with the totally wrong idea.”

“What do you mean?” Worms of doubt start to wriggle in my gut.

“She thought it was so romantic how you came to see me before getting arrested. Said you had to see me one more time, to stay strong enough to repent.” She’s smiling along with the words and I feel like it’s safe to chuckle.

“I needed someone I could trust to hold onto my gold.” I remind her with groan. “Who else would I turn to, but my best friend?”

Artemis nods slowly at that, a smile growing as the tension leaves the roof. “... I guess you kind of are.”

“Kind of?” That’s not going to do, I just bared my soul. “I’ve already got my costume on. Tell me who my competition is and I’ll fight them on any stage you want... Except the spiky bridge one!” Not sure where she could find a real life replica anyway.

“M’gann and Zatanna are besties and the boys pretty much came as a packaged group.” She considers whose left on the team. “Greta latched onto Roy right away, so I guess that would be Rocket by default.”

“The girl who made the shield around you at Yellowstone?” I can vaguely remember the dark skinned girl. She looked about the same age as Artemis.

“Yeah and those shields can hold Superboy for almost an hour.” Smirking at that, Artemis holds out a dragonfly shaped drone. “I said I was going to show you around the city. Still up for coming on patrol?”

The drone shoots off and Artemis shows me the display on her wrist. “Ted made it for me. Doesn’t want me going blind into anything too dangerous.”

“Is it just a camera?” I haven’t seen anything mind blowing yet.

“It can release a knockout gas or create a localized magnetic burst. Could take out a whole transformer if I have too.” The way she says that, makes it obvious it’s not a hypothetical statement.

“Alright, that’s pretty cool.”

It takes a hell of a lot longer to find trouble here, than back in Gotham. It’s almost dark by the time Artemis finds trouble that can only be solved with fists.

“You take the big guy. I get the other three.” She’s not asking and I’m not invested enough to argue.

“Fine. But just don’t make me look too bad.” I know she’s better at hand to hand and don’t need it rubbed in.

“Don’t suck then.” Without anymore warning, she sends a net arrow at her first thug.​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 58 others like this.
  9. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Now Cameron needs to cultivate the growling voice that the videogame Sub-Zero has, followed by the change in body language that speaks out loud 'I'll freeze you to death, and leave your corpse at your home's fridge to surprise the family', along with becoming intimately familiar with spikes and Chinese martial arts.

Shit, he'd do better with The League's training. The opportunities lost! :V

10. NightmareWarden

Ah, that’s shut down too then. Fair argument.

Who was Alberto of Arizona? Aside from the designer of that costume.

Does Huntress’ costume match her canon green outfit? I hope she has some way to keep cool in bloody El Paso, Texas. September is still Summer (temperature-wise) there. If that dating conversation had gone differently, obviously Glenn could help with that. And he can help in the future, but for this patrol it’d be awkward.

Huh. Painting young Zatanna as the member of the group with the least understanding of guys and dating is pretty dang accurate. Neat to see a fanfic version of her with a flaw. I mean Kon and M’gann should have massive blind spots, but Zatanna’s the ignorant one confident enough to try to guide Artemis.

No sign of supervillains here. But I reckon Blue Beetle is just as vulnerable to an eventual starro-tech chip as the rest of the League was. After all, the Light now has a living Starro, so their chips should be even better than ever! And if Dr Serling is still trapped when said chips are eventually used, how will the League get cured? Scary, scary.

Have you seen the background section for Amanda Spence? https://youngjustice.fandom.com/wiki/Amanda_Spence . If Waller is working at Cadmus now and Spence has replaced Guardian as the acting head, then Spence might get some of Waller’s spy/soldier training. The basics of using guns or something. I’m just spitting ideas here, but maybe she’ll reprise some of her comic book counterpart’s notoriety as a minion the Light manipulates to cause trouble with Young Justice? Eh, they have TONS of people though.

11. ThedudeManBro

Ras: So young Glenn, what made you decide to join our League? Money, power? Perhaps a sense of duty?

Frozone: Nah. Wanted to learn how to freeze a man and tear out his head with the spine attached.

Ras: Haaaa. The Mortal Kombat motive. Fair enough. We needed a Sub-zero for our Scorpion anyway.

Iceman: Sorry what?

Ras: Nothing nothing. Training starts tomorrow you may go to your room and unpack. If you wish to know where, just put a ear out for "Get Over Here" chants.

Polar Boy: *Surprised Pikachu Face*

12. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

If this were a true crackfic I can honestly see this happening. But alas! Its glory was not meant to be.

From a League equivalent of Scorpion ... to Ras Al Ghul being a rabid player of the entire series since its launch.

13. Flightless Man

The true master turns the corpse into a refrigerator, complete with ice dispenser.

Not so much shut down for good, as put on hold for a couple years.

Nobody from canon, but like Mark and Alan. I like naming side characters that I may need to use again. Any time I interact with Midway, it will be Alberto. If I ever go back to Star City, I'll buy Mark a new bike. I also now have a weed connection in Arizona.

A darker version of the Blue Beetle costume, but in Huntress colours of black/white/purple. Only the mouth area is exposed and instead of a generic beetle on the chest, it's a damselfly (one of the best hunters on the planet, with an incredibly high kill %). It's got heating and cooling systems built in.

She really came across like the book smart friend who has never actually had a drink. Since Giovanni is over protective because of her mom's death, I decided to tie that into the no dating rule he seemed likely to have.

Since Dr Fate's helmet get's controlled, very few people could resist.

Amanda Spence is quite busy with medical experiments right now.

In my head, Infinity Island just looks the island from the OG Mortal Kombat movie.

Too much crack is addictive. I try to limit it.

14. Stonemask

Stonemask Know what you're doing yet?

You know, I'm kinda excited for the college experience of a former super villain

15. Threadmarks: Chapter 27: In Brrrfect Agreement
    Flightless Man

Chapter 27: In Brrrfect Agreement
    Hollywood, California
    September 23, 11:16 AM PDT

Watching Roy trying to make it clear to Jade, that whatever they had going on is over is hilarious. It takes everything I have to stay quiet, as she humours him by listening to his whole speech.

When he gets to the part about not being tempted by her any longer, Jade winks at me. The false acceptance, was clearly only to pull him in for one more whispered promise.

“Think this jawline is strong enough?” Patrick taps me on the shoulder and shows off one that could cut granite.

“Yeah...” It’s hard to put my finger on it, but something screams familiar about the face. “Not sure who you smashed together with Josh Brolin for the look. But it’s a damn sight better than that whole uncanny valley look, you normally have going on.”

“Whatever you say, Soft-Serve.” Snorting to himself after such a witty remark, Patrick pours himself out the window. Is it really that much faster than using the door, or does he just like drawing a crowd?

As soon as he reforms on the street, the buskers attention has been handily stolen. “Hurry up Jade. I want to beat rush hour, you can break Arrow’s heart later!”

I don’t notice his odd half stumble, nor do I catch her shocked eyes drilling into the back of my skull. The sight of Patrick taking on the appearance of various League Members, is far too distracting.

“Just stay out of trouble,” Warns a pink cheeked Roy. “My teams bigger and better now. You won’t get away this time.”

“You ever want to go a few rounds for old times sake, just give me a call.” I don’t have any interest in fighting thugs every night. But I have to admit, it was fun giving him the run around.

“Colorado next?” He tries to play it smooth, as Jade climbs into the passenger seat with a saucy grin.

Shrugging at the question, I turn to an oddly watchful silent Jade. “I guess. Not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for though.”

“Neither am I,” Admits the assassin. “Was just told the rough area you need to look and how much of the snow pack that you’re supposed to replace.”

Knowing Ra’s is hundreds of years old, only makes it even harder to guess. He could have hidden anything, or even just erased any evidence of whatever is buried.

“You’ll let Artemis know if it’s dangerous?” Roy is trying really hard to let go of his paranoia, even if it is well founded in this case.

“Anything more dangerous than Superboy.” He was originally created as a weapon, even if I;m not supposed to know that.

The clone could really only kill maybe a thousand people if he rampaged, before the heroes would find a way to stop him. He’s pretty much just a targeted missile strike and the Shadows already have other weapons of that calibre.

“Stop worrying so much Red.” Jade waves goodbye. “What’s the worst that I could do to him?”

He snarls as I drive off, the crowd stopping him from any attempt at pursuit on foot. When we lose sight of him in the rear view mirror, I decide it’s time to stop playing around with Jade.

“So... What is is going to take, for Ra’s to tell me where Psimon is?” I can’t relax until he’s been dealt with. “How many things do I have to find in the ice?”

“Just five. Though...” Jade smirks at my blunt approach.“You better tell my sister, that the campus tour is going international.”

“And why do I have to do the digging?” The Shadows have hundreds of agents around the world. Why wait for me?

“Misdirection is our greatest tool. It’s better if those who think us friends, don’t know what we find.” Jade’s tone has me unsure who she means.

Are Roy and the rest of the heroes the fools this time, or is it me she’s playing for one? Or is this one of those rare moments of honesty? The ones she sprinkles into conversation, as a way to leave everyone uncertain what side she’s really on.

“You impressed the Great One with how much snow you made back in Kentucky. Twice that much should be more than enough, to hide any evidence of our search.” Jade reaches for the radio.

“What did I say?” I smack her hand viciously and level my frostiest glare at Jade.

Her hand slowly backs away. “Touch the dial and find out how cold Pluto is.”

“You don’t like the Beach Boys, just be happy I’m not singing along.”

The horror on her face hurts. But I manage to hold firm, not letting her ruin the trip with garbage pop.

Worried I’ll follow through on the threat, Jade is quick to keep the conversation going. “You’ve already got more talent than any school can teach you. Why even bother going?”

“It’s for the architecture classes.” Stuff like making a bridge that can actually be driven over. “I can make stuff look nice. But I have no idea how long it will last or what kind of load it can really support.”

“You do kind of get carried away,” Acknowledges my smirking passenger.

When I finally get out of the city and the gridlock it contains, I decide it’s been a while since I risked bodily harm. “So why do you work for the Shadows anyway? You ran away from home, just to find a new sugar daddy?”

“You want to get hurt?” She reaches into her sleeve, her hand emerging with a curved knife.

“Look Jade...” I’m not going to keep acting like she terrifies me, not if she’s going to try using it as means of control. “They have tons of assassins and can train as many replacements for you as they need. But I’m one in a billion.”

I know how few people have a natural control over the cold. Killer Frost is my only competition in North America. The only other ones active, all pretty much stick to freeze gun levels of skill.

“If you want to stop playing around and really threaten me...” I let the challenge hang as I let my ice skin form. “I’ll show you exactly why I’m the one being recruited and you’re a disposable asset.”​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 59 others like this.
  16. ThedudeManBro

I dunno Coldboi.

She's a NAMED Ninja. That's like... A thousand Normal Ninja worth of firepower.

So yea to be honest Jade might strut around but if Iceman commeth's all over her body she's done. She's still a squishy humie and she's not fast enough to stab him with that dinky knife in the car before he gives her his coldest of shoulders.

17. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Unfortunately for the MC, he can't set himself on fire to avoid getting ganked by said Named Ninja.

Ice just isn't the same, even with freezerburn and frostbite on the table! :V

If anything, Jade is quite dangerous right now as she is just one Ninja in the area. Have other Ninja support her? Then their strength falls down like the panties of a fangirl in a boys' band! :p

18. Xbure

Xbure .

A thousand Normal Ninja isn't a good estimate of power due to the Conservation of Ninjutsu.

19. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

One ninja is worth a thousand.

A thousand ninjas are collectively worth a thousandth of one. :sneaky:

20. Flightless Man

Yes, but now so am I. I even have my own uniform of the Lin Kuei.

Rapid expansion icy porcupine. Would need a new ride, but I'd get my point across... the road.

21. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

As long as he is aware of her as a threat, the most she can likely manage is a mutual kill, and even that is a long shot, she has a split second to either get him dead or hit him and get away before she is too frozen to accomplish anything else, if she can't manage that consistently she will either not be able to approach again while avoiding getting iced or just get stuck waiting for hypothermia to set in while he escapes and seals his wound with his ice.

Only way she has a good chance of killing him and surviving is if she catchs him REALLY unprepared and to be fair, she IS a ninja, but that ain't really a good sell when you're trying to play "If you don't shut up I will hurt you" card.

22. Flightless Man

She was told to lean on her old relationship with Cameron. He's not the same old follower anymore and isn't going to tolerate it beyond light teasing. Like Artemis said, you either challenge people where she comes from, or you don't survive.

23. Threadmarks: Interlude 17: Finding The Strings
    Flightless Man

Interlude 17: Finding The Strings
    Mission Silo, Nebraska
    September 23, 3:41 PM MDT

Returning to the base after his road trip, Roy barely even says hello to the current occupants. Far too focused on connecting the bugs he spent all night hiding in the van.

“This is starting to seem like an obsession Roy.” Dannette resists the ghost girl’s best efforts to even make her fingers wiggle.

“It is one,” He admits to the shock of the pair. “Only, I admit I was wrong about the actual culprit. Glenn really does want out of this life and we need to make sure the Shadows let him.”

Poking his head up from his spot lounging on the couch, Wally frowns at the team leader. “And you know this, because?”

“Because Cheshire tried to put me into some kind of trance and give me some kind of hypnotic suggestions.” Roy can’t remember how she drugged him, but he can remember being frozen in the tent most of the night.

“She what!” Eyes blazing with rage, Artemis leaps out of her own recliner.

Admitting his failure is hard, though something Roy forces himself to do. “She wants me keep her up to date on all of you. And I’m supposed to leave Glenn alone, until he gets back to America.”

“Why didn’t the hypnosis work?” Rocket grunts as Captain Marvel zips between five different dummies. “Too thick headed for that kind of thing?” It forces her to move the violet barrier faster than she thought possible and fills Raquel with confidence.

“All the training with Greta, I guess it really paid off.” Roy gives the spirit a grateful smile. “I could recognize something was trying to distract my mind. Was able to fight it off enough, I could remember most of the instructions.”

Captain Marvel stops mid flight and watches the teens with a frown. “You’re not going to let the League handle this, are you?”

“Of course not.” Ducking under a flock of confetti filled pinata birds, Robin takes down most with his dulled birdarangs.

Agreeing with the acrobatic rich boy, Zatanna redoubles he efforts with a blast of marshmallow goo. “The whole forgiveness is easier to get than permission thing.”

“The Shadows tried to control Roy.” Greta’s voice echoes eerily. “I don’t like them.”

Knowing he can’t warn them off, the magical champion tries a different approach. “Alright. But we’re only investigating the reason.” Making sure each of the teens nods in agreement, Billy waits the longest for Roy to consent. “Once we find it, I decide if we need to call in back up.”

“You aren’t going over our heads with this?” Wally blinks in shock, speaking for the rest of the equally amazed team.

“This is a training team. As long as you let Firebrand and I help with the investigation, it counts.” Grinning at the teens who aren’t aware they outage him, Billy Batson enjoys the moment.

As the mood in the room shifts, Kirk hangs up with a promise to call Cassie back later. The lure of going back for Easter, something he can’t quite explain his desire for.

<Hey Sweetstuff.> Wally sends a quick mental update to the Martian still tucked away in the kitchen. <We got a mission,.>

Sending back her sight of the counters and the pile of dishes, M’gann shows off the timer at three minutes. <Almost done, just need to get the dishes finished and I’ll bring out the first batch.> A mumbled ‘be right back’ from the next room and suddenly a gust of wind is in the kitchen.

<You focus on those masterpieces and I’ll wash.> The smirking speedster doesn’t even try speaking with a mouth full of cookie.

With the pairs teamwork, the reemerge from the kitchen bearing cookies that are eagerly devoured. Wally squeezing the chef’s hand in thanks, for the tray she made special for him.

Roy gets a clear connection to one of the microphones after switching between the lot. Three of them have already been found, only twenty nine left. Glenn’s voice comes through crystal clear, concerning all three who went to Bialya.

“Psimon...” Kirk growls the name.

Not anymore excited, Wally brings up a valid point. “Didn’t M’gann turn him into a coma patient?”

“If she did, it makes sense why the Shadows would offer him to Glenn.” Artemis reasons with a growing scowl.

“But it doesn’t explain why Glenn wants the psychic. He was terrified of Megan.” Remembering the reaction at Arkham, Kirk starts to feel a surge of empathy.

Roy nods and starts putting the rest of the puzzle together. “Senior must have hired Psimon to make his son a better criminal. But something went wrong... That would explain his sudden shift in personality.”

“I can’t wait until I can put all this in a report,” Blurts out an eager Captain Marvel. “The League is going to be so impressed at you for this.”

Red Arrow’s fingers slow enough, that Robin can tell the words meant something. “That I left Glenn alone with the Shadows?”

“That you could admit the mistake you made. That was really the only thing Batman said you needed to work on before...” Eyes suddenly wide, Captain Marvel thinks fast for a way to save himself. “Before you come of his super secret probation and get to work international cases. The one I just finished back in January.”

Everyone else can hear the lie plain as day. But Roy’s mind narrows in on this apparent secret test, set by the head of the Justice League.

“So if I keep proving myself...”

“He’s going to invite you to the covert team!” Robin cheers for his friend.

Beeps and musical chiming comes out of the red sphere, nudging Kirk who nods in agreement. “Sphere is right, we should all start training with Greta.”

“Especially if we’re actually going to interfere with the Shadows plans. They aren’t going to go easy on us because of our age.” Artemis slams a fist into her other palm. “We need a plan.”

“Follow in the bioship and find out what Ra’s is looking for,” Explains her fellow archer. “Firebrand can melt us a path through any ice, as soon as Glenn and Cheshire leave each site.” It’s hard for him to separate who she pretended to be and who it seems Jade really is.

24. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

Roy graduated from a double agent, to a triple agent.

25. Barbaric_Bob

Barbaric_Bob [Barbarus-Maximus]

I love how the butterflies went and created a storm the size of The Great White Spot
    go you crazy little bastards, throw the timeline into a volcano and sacrifice it to the altar of creativity!

26. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Got to admit that I was shocked by that one, didn't think that training with a ghost would let him level up his Will Save against programming.

Now to see when they inevitably discover the original Roy deep within Luthor's basementCadmus.

27. Flightless Man

I thought the only way to play with Roy as the mole, was for him to be the one to discover it first. Of course I didn't want to just give him the answer, so he thinks that was the start of the SHadows trying to hypnotize him into being a sleeper agent.

We really only have about 8 episodes left that I'm drawing anything from. The rest of the story is pretty much it's own thing at this point.

I couldn't think of an original way to have Roy be a mole. So I decided he should be the one to find out something is wrong, I don't think I've ever seen it done.

Well, pretty much all of Cadmus has been moved to Mount Justice.

28. Threadmarks: Chapter 28: Sleigh My Name
    Flightless Man

Chapter 28: Sleigh My Name
    Mojave Desert, California
    September 23, 6:38 PM PDT

With the gauntlet thrown down, the mood in the van becomes charged with danger. My cold stare meets her venomous sneer and I refuse to bend like Cameron always did.

“I’m not scared of you anymore Jade. I know what I’m capable of now.” It must hurt, knowing her life means almost nothing.

I can see it in her eyes. Jade knows that even if she kills me, I’m right about which of us is replaceable.

“We’ll see how much you’ve really grown.” Her growl speaks volumes as I pull into a rest stop.

“Last chance to apologize and call this water under the bridge.” Opening my door and standing under the setting sun, I wait for Jade to grab her gear out of the back.

I can’t leave any doubt in her mind about who wins. She needs to use everything she brought and still lose.

Otherwise, she’s just going to come at me the second my guard is down. If that happens, Jade probably will find a way to kill me.

“We keep going until you yield.” I don’t let even a shred of doubt enter my voice.

“Don’t you mean until one of us does?” She slams the back doors and emerges without her mask.

The club in her hands looks like a samurai one, a bunch of metal stud bound in leather and wood. Not quite as heavy as a mace, but fast enough for a ninja to use.

She charges at me when I’m halfway through saying ‘on the count of three’. The club shatters my hastily created wall of ice. But it does give me enough time to send a carpet of rolling snow at the assassin.

Leaping over the wave, Jade drops enough smoke pellets to blanket the area. The sand and snow are soft enough, that I need all my focus to react in time.

Jade comes at my from behind. Her weapon cracking the ice around my left arm, when I bring it up to block the attack.

“Which one of us is the replaceable one?” Her snarl comes from the right and is followed be throwing stars. Ones that I know are poisoned.

“Is it my turn?” Pissing her off would be great. But I’ll settle for the hiss of frustration, that my snarky comment brings.

Instead of sending beams of blue or shards of ice in any one direction, I send the energy out in every direction at once. Remembering how it felt to create the chilly mist, gave me an idea.

The smoke screen shields my freezing cloud as it expands. Drawing a snarl from Jade, when she makes an attempt on my left flank.

“That’s a pretty neat trick. Got anymore?” Her mocking words, are accompanied by something whistling fast for my face.

Creating a blade of ice in one hand, I roll under the weighted chain. With a quick thrust up, I make contact with one of the links.

The ice extends over the chain and snaps in half, leaving me free to counter attack. Even in freezing temperatures, Jade proves herself a far superior warrior.

She’s barely slow enough for me to keep up. My ice clashes with yet another knife of hers, drawing no reaction when it too shatters. It’s replaced so quickly, I’m almost convinced I imagined it.

My snow already surrounds us from my first attack and I back into it as we clash. When we’re knee deep in the powder, my eyes shine with blue energy.

The snow snap freezes into a rink of ice, leaving Jade trapped in front of me. After my practice at Belle Reve, I can now confidently freeze a person. Without killing them.

“Yield?” Knowing the answer already, I still give her a chance to avoid anymore pain.

Not answering with words, Jade starts stabbing at the ice around her legs. Of course she isn’t going to quite.

“Just remember...” Bringing my palm to the sheet of ice, I send a surge of energy towards Jade. “I gave you a chance to stop.”

The energy pools beneath her feet and shoots upwards, creating a pillar dozens of feet high. The speed it was created, sends the shocked assassin flying through the air.

She goes way farther than I intended and I frantically start skating after her. Shit!

As I watch her arc towards the ground, I blast a beam of white energy where I think she’s going to land. The snowbank blossoms just in time, catching her like a Russian leaping of his roof.

Her legs stick out of the snow, with neither looking broken. They aren’t moving either. But I’m pretty sure I made the snow deep enough and try not to panic. Yet.

“Jade?” Her legs start to twitch and I sigh in relief.

Grabbing her ankles as she kicks at me weakly, I yank her the rest of the way out. “Did I get my pint across, or you want to go for round two?”

“Alright. Partners until this is over?” She sighs and holds out a hand, trying not to wobble too much.

“Which one of you is the bad guy?” A terrified voice calls from over here I parked the van, now surrounded by vehicles.

A state trooper is trying to keep the crowd from leaving the pavement and I realize how many drivers pulled over. Hope this works.

“Neither of us Officer. This was just a promotional demonstration, for the new Mortal Kombat spin off.” Thinking fast, I wrack my mind for anything usable. “Sub-Zero gets trapped on Edenia and teams up with Jade to free Princess Kitanna. Once they overthrow Shao Khan, the Lin Kuei hero can finally go back to Earth Realm.”

To sweeten the pot, I have Jade start signing autographs and ask the trooper who his favourite character is. It takes him a few tries before he gets a character in the right franchise, his first few being from Tekken and Street Fighter.

But eventually Trooper Carlos tells me he loves the four armed guy and I sag in relief. With his ‘blessing’, I create a statue of Goro towering over us in all his ferocious glory.

While the crowd ‘oohs’ over the nearly twenty foot tall display, I also create replicas of Jade and me ready to fight the monster. “Can you turn towards the headlights please?”

As the confused trooper does so, I get a really good look at his face. The final champion I create to face Goro, is a cowboy with Carlos’ snarling mug.​

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 57 others like this.
  29. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Nice save there, Sub-Zero! Got to make every public event count towards marketing!

I must also say that he's changed from the psychic experiment that he started due to Psymon and daddy dearest's plotting, and is now kickin' ass! :D

The pajama brigade will not rest until you are playing their game, so freeze their hearts instead! :V

30. ThedudeManBro

"Ew that guy is ugly as sin cover it up COVER IT UP! - Ed Boon after losing his girlfriend to the render of a random trooper, probably.
    [​IMG]