1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The SFW image thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, Mar 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. fishbait08

fishbait08 I trust you know where the happy button is?

[​IMG]

A depiction of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

Mistodon, Desalis, Walkir and 3 others like this.
  2. fishbait08

[​IMG]

Another depiction of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

Mistodon, Desalis, D'waawwu and 3 others like this.
  3. fishbait08

[​IMG]

A picture taken from a Japanese aircraft during the attack on Pearl Harbor, showing another Japanese aircraft making an attack run on Battleship Row.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Imabot and Prince Charon like this.
  4. fishbait08

[​IMG]

The burning wreckage of the battleship Arizona (BB-39) after she was destroyed by a hit to her forward magazines from a 16" armor-piercing shell that had been converted into a bomb, with the loss of 1,177 of her crew.

Prince Charon likes this.
  5. fishbait08

[​IMG]

Rescue operations on the stricken USS West Virginia (BB-48), which sank after being hit by 7 torpedoes during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Tennessee (BB-43) is visible in the background.

NuclearBird and Prince Charon like this.
  6. fishbait08

[​IMG]

A close-up of the stern of the sunken West Virginia, her ensign still flying

7. fishbait08

[​IMG]

Another view of the battleships West Virginia and Tennessee during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

8. fishbait08

[​IMG]

The crew of USS California (BB-44) abandoning ship.

Although the ship was only hit by two torpedoes and two bombs, a combination of almost all the hatches and other access panels inside the ship being open in preparation for an inspection scheduled for the next day and intense smoke & fires from the bomb hits made it impossible for the crew to engage in effective damage control, forcing them to abandon ship within a few hours.

9. fishbait08

[​IMG]

The overturned wreck of the minelayer USS Oglala (CM-4), December 7, 1941.

At the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Oglala was moored to a pier next to the cruiser Helena (CL-50) with her engines completely shut down for maintenance, receiving power from the shore. Although the minelayer was not directly targeted, the shockwaves from a torpedo that missed Helena and detonated against the pier, as well as a bomb that missed the cruiser and exploded in the water next to the two ships stove in part of the hull, and with shore power being cut by the attack, the crew was unable to get the pumps started to control the flooding, resulting in the ship capsizing and sinking alongside the pier.

Visible in the background is the battleship Maryland (BB-46) as well as the overturned hull of the battleship Oklahoma (BB-37), which capsized and sank after taking 3 torpedo hits in rapid succession in the opening moments of the Japanese attack, followed by two more as she was starting to roll over.

10. fishbait08

[​IMG]

The Japanese Type A midget submarine HA-19 grounded near the Bellows Field airbase on Oahu, Dec. 7 1941.

The Japanese plan for attacking Pearl Harbor included the use of 5 two-man midget submarines, which were to be transported to a location near the harbor entrance on the deck of a fleet submarine, where they would be launched on the morning of the 7th, and from there, infiltrate the harbor, launch their torpedoes at the largest targets that presented themselves, and make their escape, meeting back up with their motherships at a prearranged rendezvous, at which time, the crews were to abandon and scuttle their submarines, and be picked up by the motherships.

However, the midget submarine operation was an utter failure. One midget was spotted making its way into the harbor, and was engaged and sunk by the destroyer Ward (DD-139) in the first official American shots of World War II, although Ward's contact report did not percolate its way up the chain of command rapidly enough to alert the defenders of Pearl Harbor of the pending attack. The wreck of this midget was discovered in 2002. A second midget was detected in the harbor while unsuccessfully launching torpedoes at American ships, and was subsequently sunk by the destroyer Monaghan (DD-354). This submarine's wreck was located and raised in 1943, and used as fill material for a new pier at the Pearl Harbor submarine base. The third midget submarine sank in the harbor after apparently firing its torpedoes and being abandoned by its crew, who may have hoped to hide amongst the local population of Japanese ancestry until they could meet up with a Japanese submarine, but nothing is known of their ultimate fate. It was located and raised in 1960, being returned to Japan, where it was restored for display at the Japanese naval academy at Etajima A fourth midget submarine was unaccounted for, until it was discovered in 2009 amongst a pile of wreckage related to the 1944 West Loch Disaster that had been salvaged and dumped at sea outside the harbor, having evidently been scooped up in the salvage effort. Examination of this submarine indicates that it too fired its torpedoes and was evidently abandoned & scuttled by its crew, who like that of the third submarine, remain unaccounted for.

Aerial photos taken during the attack suggest that one of those two midget submarines may have fired at the battleship Oklahoma, possibly scoring a hit, though there is no proof either way.

The fifth submarine, HA-19, failed to make the harbor entrance due to a malfunctioning compass and a series of mechanical malfunctions, and eventually ran aground on a beach on the eastern shore of Oahu. The crew set the scuttling charge and abandoned ship, hoping to hide among the local Japanese population, but the charge malfunctioned, and the crew, exhausted by their exertions, failed to make their goal- the helmsman (a PO Kiyoshi Inagaki) drowned in the surf while attempting to swim ashore, while the commander, Ens. Kazuo Sakamaki, washed ashore unconscious, and was apprehended by a beach patrol while passed out, becoming the first Japanese POW captured by American forces.

HA-19 was salvaged and repaired, and after technical evaluations, was brought to the continental US, where it was used as a travelling exhibit in war bond drives. After the war, the submarine ended up on display in several museums, before ending up at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg, TX, where it remains to this day.

Prince Charon and Biigoh like this.
  11. fishbait08

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two destroyers that sank Japanese midget submarines during the attack on Pearl Harbor before the war, USS Ward (DD-139) (top) & USS Monaghan (DD-354) (bottom).

12. fishbait08

[​IMG]

The wreckage of a Japanese A6M2 'Zero' fighter shot down during the attack on Pearl Harbor. The tail number indicates that it had been assigned to the fighter squadron of the carrier Akagi's air group.

D'waawwu and Prince Charon like this.
  13. fishbait08

[​IMG]

The wreckage of several USAAF fighters inside a destroyed hanger at Wheeler Field, one of several Army airbases located on Oahu at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

14. fishbait08

[​IMG]

President Franklin D. Roosevelt delivering the 'Day of Infamy' speech to a Joint Session of Congress on December 8, 1941, in which he outlined Japanese aggression across the Pacific and asked for a declaration of war against Japan. A little over a hour after the conclusion of the speech, Congress voted upon and passed a formal declaration of war, with only a single dissenting vote.

15. fishbait08

[​IMG]

An aerial view of the drydocks at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard several days after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

In Drydock 1 at the left of the picture are battleship USS Pennsylvania (BB-38), along with the wrecked destroyers Cassin (DD-372) and Downes (DD-375). The light cruiser Helena (CL-50), which had been hit by a torpedo during the attack is in Drydock 2, undergoing emergency repairs to the right. At the far right is the wrecked destroyer Shaw (DD-373), whose magazines exploded after taking a bomb hit, sinking the floating drydock YFD-2 that she had been undergoing maintenance in in the process.

16. fishbait08

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Salvage efforts on the overturned wreck of USS Oklahoma during 1943

17. fishbait08

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several views of USS West Virginia (BB-48) undergoing temporary repairs after being refloated in order to patch the ship enough enough to sail to a shipyard in the continental United States for more permanent repairs, taken in June, 1942. The battleship would be sufficiently repaired to make the voyage that September, but permanent repairs, combined with an extensive modernization, would take over a year and a half, and she would not rejoin the fleet until the middle of 1944, the last of the battleships damaged at Pearl Harbor to do so.

18. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

Fashion. Only SFW because empty.
    [​IMG]

19. NuclearBird

NuclearBird Lustful Sacraments

Why?

D'waawwu and Imabot like this.
  20. Walkir

Because there's no skin visible.

If you mean why these things exist... fashion. Perhaps an attempt to make money of wasted product. These are not mutually exclusive.

21. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I have never seen anyone wearing these. Hopefully, that's because it didn't sell.

22. The MMR

The MMR Know what you're doing yet?

Just search "Thong Jeans" on google, and you'll get models wearing them, at least.

Winged One and Prince Charon like this.
  23. 24caratcoal

24caratcoal Plotbunny Rancher

Contains spoilers for the latest Darths and Droids comic, also possibly the best sound effect ever in the last panel.

[​IMG]

Noctum, wasprider, Mistodon and 5 others like this.
  24. Jake

Jake Not too sore, are you?

I have honestly been stuck with Internet service where that method would have given me better bandwidth. LPT: Never download a large Steam game over BT Openzone unless it is your only practical option.

Winged One and Prince Charon like this.
  25. Prince Charon

*does so*

Well, that's about as silly as I thought. Sure, it's sexy, but the sheer silliness distracts from that.

D'waawwu likes this.
  26. Walkir

Good old https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet.
    Througput is great, latency abysmal.

27. The MMR

The MMR Know what you're doing yet?

vyor, Walkir, Ohmrond and 3 others like this.
  28. Prince Charon

Maybe when we start using subspace radios. Then again, maybe not (new technologies take time to develop, after all).

29. Mistodon

Mistodon Invading the city of Alexandria

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  30. 24caratcoal

24caratcoal Plotbunny Rancher

Well... that’s bordering on being nightmare fuel. I’mma go try and find the brain bleach so I can forget seeing that face.

FourthPear likes this.