1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Unnamed World [Quote based Worldbuilding Game]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Gaemnomut, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

marsolino, I like your quote, but you need to also provide context for the quote by the poster above you.

Like this (doesn't have to be this loooong though):
    -- Sinalan the ageless to Damian, while fleeing from the hollow guards during his great escape from the desert of ash, the sixth afterlife of the Diade.
    The sixth afterlife is sealed by the Gates of Eternity, which will only let those leave the cursed desert that carry living blood in their veins.
    The friend mentioned is Tiobalt, who, in his quest to rescue Damian (he was hired to do so) ventured willingly into the Diade afterlives by having a black shaman of the Diade send his soul there while his body slept.
    When he reached Damian, he found out that he had befriended a man called Sinalan and refused to leave unless Tiobalt took him with them as well.
    Unfortunately, neither Damian nor Tiobald knew that Sinalan was not what he seemed, but a terrible dream demon that had been banished from the world of the living by the black shamans centuries ago. When they finally reached the world of the living again, the demon revealed to them their folly and and left to gorge himself on the hopes and dreams of mortals once more.
    Furious at being tricked, Tiobalt enlisted the aid of the black shaman that had helped him before and together they set out to banish Sinalan once again.
    In this, Tiobalt suceeded as well.

"When the stars forged thought into the pittyful creatures that roamed the earth and thus gave us the ability to think and reason they set a contract with all mortals.
    It stated that they would give our life meaning and guide us into a better world. In turn it also stipulated, that for every star, one of ours per generation would be born without a soul, and thus be available as a vessel for that star. Now you see, we can live perfectly fine without a soul, the only differnce is that the vessels cease to exist when they die instead of carrying on to whatever afterlife they would normally go to, so finding these vessels is not an easy task. Luckily we have the blood of the last vessels Lord Ysgith and his court inhabited, so we will not be completely blind in our search.
    In ancient times the stars could enter and leave their vessel freely but with the high stones keeping them out that hasn't been true for a long time.
    But now, thanks to the continued efforts of our brothers and sisters we have weakened the stone's protection enough that, if we had the right vessel, we could perform a ritual to allow one of our lords to take what is theirs and walkt among us once again!"

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Crawkid likes this.
  2. marsolino

marsolino I trust you know where the happy button is?

Gaemnomut, I know, but the post before mine didn't leave a quote so I wrote one of my own instead.

Now that the user put in their message I'll add the one saying it.
    Maximus Grandair, captain of the Snarling Wolves, to a renown mercenary of high skill before a battle against the Scorpion Lord, the most fearsome bandit to ever pass through the uncontested lands with his band of savages.

Elder Tao, member of the Sacred Following of the Star Gods, to his apprentice, Yun, who would go on to become the next Grand Master of his Most Holy Order.

"Our people embarked in the greatest exodus in the history of our species! We fled before those conquering daemons and forged a paradise out of a dying world! Now, centuries after their victory, the time is nigh for our revenge! People of Raxia, with me! We will teach those butchering monsters the meaning of FEAR!"

Crawkid, Prince Charon and Gaemnomut like this.
  3. ttd0000

ttd0000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Vinganza, Ruler of Doxithon, High King of the Underground Empire Raxia. Raxia is home to the Lani, the dominate race on this nameless world before they were driven underground by the rise of humanity.

"Oh this? It's the story of a great hero. Largely forgotten now, I'm afraid. I met him once, when I was younger, though you would be hard pressed to tell! I admit, our fight was... disappointing. I caught him on a bad day, I think."

Crawkid, Prince Charon and Gaemnomut like this.
  4. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

-- Corso Peliando, retired soldier that went on to become a highwayman, to Cecilia Warga.

He was talking about a book that chronicled the story of the enigmatic figure that would come to be known as the knight with the rusty saw. They never actually fought but it was actually Corso who had taken the man's original sword when he robbed him, taking his armour and horse as well, while the former was in the woods to relieve himself.
    Left with only his normal clothes, a rusty saw and a rather distinctive green cap that Corso had lost in his haste to carry off his stolen loot he wandered into the nearest city where he was mistaken for the infamous Corso and forced to stand trial for his crimes. His choice of trial by combat lead to his duel with Tiobalt, which cost the latter his life.

Incidentally, since everybody believed him to be Corso no matter what he said, the real Corso used this oportunity to take on the identity of the fallen knight and enter the service of Imperator Yunny LenoViz of the free City of Zhuliroal who had never seen either of them before. When his victim atained fame for his unconventional weapon and his skill in using it, he tried to find out as much as he could about him to help keep his cover intakt, which meant he knew exactly who he was dealing with when they met again many years later.

"Those people that have been hunting you for half your life, they are called the Followers. The reason they are after you is the same reason they are after me, you see you and me, we're special. You see, when you heard my friend back there joke about me being a soulless bastard, he was actually telling the truth, at least about the soulless part, you see, I have no soul, and neither do you."

Crawkid and Prince Charon like this.
  5. marsolino

marsolino I trust you know where the happy button is?

An extract from the 'Memories of a Soulless One', a nameless runner to Valiant Reboute, who would go on to found the city state of Corint, safe haven for soulless people.
    The Sacred Following of the Star Gods is tenacious in hunting down those blessed without a soul by their gods, so that they can be sacrificed in a ritual to permit them to enter the material plane through their body. They just can't understand why people wouldn't want to be sacrificed in the name of a higher entity...

"You should be burned at the stake for what you just said, you daemon worshipper! I don't know who told you these lies, filthy heretic, but I assure you our Great Golden Lady is the only Goddess to ever bless our people with Her presence!"

Gaemnomut likes this.
  6. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

Edit: Removed
    -- Sangruhl, a Lani cleric, confronting Lihired, the historian's aprentice as he sets out to leave the underground empire in search for the fabled hidden crypts of Mosaraktu, where legends say the ancient bones of the old Safelian or god-touched lie buried.
    Safelian losely translates to star barer or blaze/inferno carrier/bringer/slave

"Hey, I'd like to file a complaint. The newy I bought last month, its acting really strangely. Every time it completes a task, instead of going into standby mode or returning to me for further orders it tries to wander off. It's really annoying!
    And I thought you at Nexlor-Winnet automatons prided yourselves on high quality."

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  7. ttd0000

"You should be burned at the stake for what you just said, you daemon worshipper! I don't know who told you these lies, filthy heretic, but I assure you our Great Golden Lady is the only Goddess to ever bless our people with Her presence!"

Shouted by an unknown zealot during a "religious debate" that preceded empire-wide riots in Ziqebe. Originally their god Duskbreaker had four wives, each one representing virtues Dawnbreaker himself, and thus the religion as a whole, held dear. They were: the Great Golden Lady, nobility and excellence; the Silent Silver Woman, wisdom and humility; the Beautiful Bronze Girl, Beauty and Innocence; the Indomitable Iron Maiden, martial skill and steadfastness.

Of Course, the inevitable question was asked, "Who was his first wife? Whose virtues are more important?" Dawnbreaker did not answer, the priests and intellectuals had no answer and so the masses tried to answer for themselves. During the worst of it, different factions refused to admit the other wives ever existed at all.

"While the minor change to theology came to late to stop the riots, which just had to be allowed to burn themselves out, it did help insure no more occurred. Very few of the rioters liked the elegant solution, but only the most intractable refused to accept it."

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  8. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

That is pretty cool...
    *considers it*
    Sure, why not, I'll find another place to fit in mine.

9. ttd0000

Thank you, I'm pretty proud of that one.

Also, I just noticed I called Duskbreaker, Dawnbreaker on accident. I'm leaving it. Who's Dawnbreaker? Why would he or she have a say in who Duskbreaker married first? I don't know, but it should be interesting.

Gaemnomut likes this.
  10. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

-- Historical scholar Timothy Ramson, talking about the early years of the great slavers empire of the Tu Heirn Da.
    The riots he mentiones took place 997 years before the rebellion.

"Hey, I'd like to file a complaint. The newy I bought last month, its acting really strangely. Every time it completes a task, instead of going into standby mode or returning to me for further orders it tries to wander off. It's really annoying!
    And I thought you at Nexlor-Winnet automatons prided yourselves on high quality."

11. ttd0000

Andrew Hexaltrek of the NEC speaking of the new model of newy Nexlor-Winnet recently produced, a pure labor model. It was actually based on a failed attempt at creating magically crafted life. Andrew was given a new newy and full refund while his old newy was taken for "processing". Life tests are inconclusive.

"Guess what kind of eggs these are? Kalinkat! I figure we can train and domesticate and breed them as warbeasts. That should give us an edge I think. Why are you guys so pale?"

I seem to have broken the flow. Shouldn't have asked for dibs. Sorry.

Gaemnomut likes this.
  12. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

-- Jonas Freeweather, Junior Infantryman in the NEC
    While he was a loyal and capable soldier and well liked by his entire company, nobody would dispute that Jonas was a bit dim and sometimes had some amazingly stupid ideas.
    Even more amazing was the fact that the idea to breed Kalinkats as battle mounts actually paid off big time. While they never got large enough to ride and were far to unpredictable in battle the adorable terrors kept the camp vermin free and provided quite the morale boost once people stopped shitting their pants at the sight of them.
    Later known as the Kalinkat Company, Jonas' brothers and sisters in arms even smuggled the three surviving Kalinkats back to the mainland when they were recalled, which led to quite an interesting series of events.
    But that is a story for another time.

"You want to talk to the Lani, are you mad? They will kill you on sight! And you, you really think they would help us? They will probably gladly watch us all burn.

Hmrf, if you really want to throw away your life for this madness I won't be able to stop you.
    Go to old Hannerman's pass in the Berenor Mountains, I heard a hermit lives there that might still know about some of the old tunnels that lead down to their gates.
    And take this with you, I know it doesn't look like much but this knife has been in my family for 60 years and it got me out of a few tight spots in my own travels.
    And take my winter cloak, it gets cold up there in the mountains.
    And I'll pack you my old map of the pass.
    And,...
    take care.
    If it looks like it won't work turn around.
    And come back safely, ok?

Your father would be so proud..."
    Don't sweat it, this thread often pauses for a few days.

Prince Charon likes this.
  13. ttd0000

Archfuurst Alehi Il'uDavann's firstborn (adopted and very self-conscious about it) son to his twin youngest siblings. He was caught and killed seven months later, certain he sent them to their doom.
    The twins, on the other hand, have accidently incited the Lani towards invasion of the surface. Things have gone just a tiny bit completely out of control, but they're doing a pretty good job riding the tiger. They'll probably survive whatever comes and even have plans (mediocre though they are) to betray the Lani once they've defeated the usurpers... who've already lost.

"Spirit Court. Corset spy ring. Fatty Crab spy ring. The Tinker Tailors. More besides. I remember all the signals, the counter-signs, the dead drops. What I don't remember is how long I've been doing this, or how many organizations I report to, or who I'm actually loyal to."

14. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

OOC: I'm glad the Alehiid/Il'uDavanni princes and princesses have being seized on as an interesting setting element :p
    In case there's any confusion on the matter, though, Archfuurst is a title. 'Grand Prince', more or less. The ruler of a principality equivalent to a kingdom.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  15. ttd0000

It's Anastacia but there's three of them and we can ensure some happy endings. Not all of course, but some. Of course we're all over that.

16. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

OOC: I like the stories with the Archfuurst's children. The premise rings a bit of old fairytales and since we know almost nothing about them and they could be anywhere they are a blank canvas to paint adventures on.
    Also, I just opened up a new version of this: The NSFW Quote Worldbuilding-Game. This thread will of course keep on going as long as people enjoy it and contiue to post.

-- Vivian Sawsmith, writing in her journal.
    After she died her landlord cleaned out her quarters and found journals in which she recounted her strange dreams among other things. Dreams of an endless white desert, dreams of moss covored toombs, dreams of an armada of ships crossing the sea. Bizarre and wondrous were the stories written in them. The landlord, who knew that Vivian had had no family and almost no friends sold most of her belongings and burnt the rest. He kept one of them though as a memento of the woman that he had known for many years. As nobody wanted the books filled with an old woman's ramblings, All but (that) one of Vivian's journals went up in flames and she was soon forgotten by the world at large.

"Valiant? Valiant Reboute? I haven't heard that name in ages. And my memory isn't what it used to be. Come to think of it, I'm also a little dehydrated. What say you about buying me a drink and maybe I'll remember something.

Ahh, that hits the spot. Best ale in the land they've got here, I tell you. Tastes like a warm night by the fire and kicks like a horse.
    Hmm, so what do you want from ol' Val then?
    Family business? Can't remember that he even had family anymore. Thats just like him, he never told us anything. He was right quiet all the time.
    Oh, another one? I won't say no to that, to your health!
    Val, yeah, last I heard he was heading off to the uncontested lands to find some place Mosirat... no Mosirastu, no thats not right either. Mosaraktu! Thats what he called it. 'Sposed to be some kind of krypt or so.
    Wha.. you're leaving already? Come on buddy, at least finish your drink, it would be a shame to let it go to wast...
    Ok then, ima gonna finish it for you, I never say no to a free drink...
    Mos-ahhh-raak-tu ... sounds funny, I wonder who called it that."

17. ttd0000

Valiant Reboute, Explorer Extraordinaire and Master of Disguise (quite useful in avoiding members of the Sacred Following), trying to learn about his new would-be apprentice before officially meeting her. Thus far all he knows is that she's a crafty interrogator with a one track mind.

"The sword is Mine! The Spear Is MINE! AND THE GIRL IS DEFINITELY MINE! NOBODY TOUCHES MY Thi-ngs...?"
    Yeah, I forgot. Should have used the Compendium but I was rushing. For the record, I've found the Compendium to be very useful in keeping things straight. It is pretty clunky though.

Gaemnomut likes this.
  18. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

OOC: Lol thats awesome. You turned my cynical drunk who sells out his old buddy into a crafty bastard. I did not see that coming. I do want to remind you though Valiant is a character we already established. He is one of the vessels the followers are hunting. There is no reason to assume he can't be a vessel and an explorer I just wanted to make sure we don't have two characters with the same name or else this will quickly get confusing.

--Fidel Denostro, Collector of rare art and Tu Heirn Da history enthusiast. He was regarded as kind, if a little excentric, even though most people who got to know him mentioned that he could be very intense at times.
    Legend has it that the three artifacts, the Green Sword of Betrayal, the Spear of the left handed Fisher and the statue of the girl known as the Warrior Princess are connected. It is said that the statue of the girl is an actual girl that was cursed all those centuries ago and if one could return her weapons to her she would be freed and walk among the living once more.
    Fidel and his friend Timothy Ramson had spent half their lives looking for the artifacts and the other half trying to aquire them for their collection. When they had finally managed to get all three artifacts together Fidel turned on his colleague and proclaimed them to be his and his alone.
    He never noticed the statue behind his back slowely and silently come alive until the girl in question stabbed him through the back. HIs lifeblood running along the green blade of her sword was the last thing he ever saw.

"Gelwin, I am sorry to tell you this but we are closing down your excavation. What we found down there... No, I can't tell you what it is or why its important. I can only tell you that the order has demanded that the digging stop immeidiately and only members of the order be permitted to enter the tunnel.
    I'm sorry, I truly am but please do not fight this. For some reason the Exalts are nervous about this and you know what happens when Exalts get nervous."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Prince Charon and Snake/Eater like this.
  19. Snake/Eater

Snake/Eater Myth Maker of the North

These were the last words spoken by Lady Erline Bancisi that evening, she not been seen since. to this day no one knows what is inside that hole in the ground that is guarded by a entire fortress built around it.

"This Warship is the product of Years and Countless wealth on her research and construction. the Hull is made of newly discovered light weight but durable Red metal that will help make this ship fast and hard as it rams into her wooden foes. what also makes her a real nightmare is that we have made her big enough to carry a new record of 38 cannons, which are based on the latest and most effective designs stolen from the Far northern Nations. This ship runs on coal and strength to keep her moving without having to rely on the wind.

What the discovery of Numbers has done to society is Equal to what this ship does to War, we have conquered and defeated Nature. she will turn the seas red!"

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Gaemnomut likes this.
  20. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Grand Fleet Captain Velaar gaf-Ti'ign, just before the launch - and only a bit longer before the sinking - of the Ship-of-the-Line VRS Steam Goddess. She was right that the vessel turned the sea red, but only for a day or so, and only in that harbour.

"You want to go down there because your elder sister asked you for a favor?! Are you simple?! Have you forgotten what happened the last time she asked you for a favor?! Well I haven't! THERE WERE ONLY THREE SURVIVORS!!!"

Gaemnomut and Snake/Eater like this.
  21. Snake/Eater

OOC:I think Steam engine ships are supposed to explode when they sink underwater, also doesn't this kill any future R&D for steam powered Ironclads unless it can be proven incompetence or sabotage was the cause?

Gaemnomut likes this.
  22. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

-- Harvey Tophor to his brother in law Howard Long
    Debating the merits of the idea of a diving expedition to retrieve a chest from the remains of the VRS Steam Goddess' bridge. The fact that Long's sister would not explain what was in the chest did not help to convince Harvey that it was a good idea.
    Long later hired some help and tried anyway only to find that a leviathan had found the sunken ship and had decided it was a perfect place to rest for a year or two. They did manage to get the chest but the Leviathan was less than happy to be woken and the venture had, once again, only three survivors.
    When Long's sister later asked him for one more tiny favour he declined.

"Run, they've found us! Bilal must have betrayed us! I always knew that bastard wasn't to be trusted."
    B!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  23. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

OOC:
    There is no mention that it didn't explode. Whether it exploded or not, the remains sunk to the ocean floor.
    As for the future of steam powered ships, there are always people willing to try one more time to get it right. And who knows, maybe sabotage will be proven.

I'm trying to think of a way that makes it easier to use. Any ideas?

24. Snake/Eater

Ask a mod for advice with writing experience or create a wikia site.

Gaemnomut likes this.
  25. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

Good ideas. Although I think a wikia site would be a little much. Sounds like a lot of work ;-)
    For the short term I'm thinking about grouping together quotes that are connected and putting them in seperate spoilers. That makes it easier to find stuff when you know what you are looking for. Although it does have the downside that you have to open the spoilers to find stuff with the search function, so not entirely sure about that.

In the meantime I've updated the compendium and added some more tabs to better organize it. That will have to do until I figure out a better way of doing it.

Another question:
    If I were to run a quest in the Unnamed World, what would you like to read about?
    I have some ideas, but it will be a while until I have time enough to run a quest and it would be interesting to hear which parts you guys like the best in the meantime.

26. ttd0000

Old Birdy, just a young thieving magpie at the time, in over her head stealing from the Della'yori. She and her gang led their pursuers on a merry chase before being captured or killed. Once captured, Birdy negotiated the location of the stolen goods for her remaining friends lives. When her torturers delivered her message to their superiors, they were so surprised and impressed by her resourcefulness, her gumption, and most of all her loyalty that they agreed on the sole condition that she work for them. Poor thing still thinks she saved them.

"So, the good news is we have no need to fear our southern neighbor becoming a naval superpower. The sabotage was a success. Bad news is, I didn't get the plans. The copies I made were destroyed as I left, the captain burned her set in despair, and the only set of plans left were on the Steam Goddess herself. We're gonna need more patience, I'm afraid."

1) Thanks for not going with a wiki. My laptop hates those sites.
    2) You never added Corso to the "mentioned people" list.
    3) I got some narcissim so just anything I had a hand in is good. Specifics-wise, I seem to have wrote quite a bit about spying. Also, I'm curious about The Blessed.

Gaemnomut and Snake/Eater like this.
  27. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

I mean, an easy, wide open concept would be an unmentioned Alehiid prince or princess, off on their own adventures.

Gaemnomut likes this.
  28. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Feorjess Goold, recently-former cultural attache for the Wallaminan Embassy to the Court of Sankt-Vantic, two and a half weeks before said southern neighbor, the Crown of Vanetica, announced the results of their investigation into the sinking and explosion of the VRS Steam Goddess (and offers a reward for any information leading to the capture or death of the saboteur) and one week before divers from the Vanetican Royal Navy secretly retrieved the ship's safe, containing the plans to the Steam Goddess.

"Security for this project is your responsibility, Lord gaf-Welnr. I know it's a bit low for your rank and skills, but given what happened last time, another such breach would be completely unacceptable."

Gaemnomut likes this.
  29. Gaemnomut

Gaemnomut Well worn.

1) I'm not sure if it would even work properly. After all the informtion that is gathered is not in long articles, but in really short snippets. Not sure if a wiki would be the best way to organize it.
    2) Thanks, good catch. Fixed.
    3) The Blessed. Senavar spec ops ;-), I almost forgot about them, yeah they might have potential.

You really like your litter of orphans, don't you? XD
    Yes, they would be be good candidates. Especially because I could even include a character creation at the beginning without breaking the lore.

-- Lord Crendal Winnet, Cofounder of Nexlor-Winnet Enterprises. To his friend and Board Member Lord Trevor gaf-Welnr after an 'incident' in the level four research labs at NWE.
    Lord gaf-Welnr was 68 years old at the time and could look back on a long life filled with bloodshed, backstabbing and political maneuvering.
    He had served some time in the army, stationed first at an outpost guarding the border to the south, then as a captain in the disciplinary corps he hunted down traitors. Later he trained new members of the corp as an instructor and then spent his final years before he retired from the army in charge of the disciplinary corps' prison citadel Fort Thrioton.
    It is even rumored that he was a member of the Fatty Crab spy ring and that he still has some connections to the organization.
    The gaf-Welnr had been wealthy for generations but with Trevor's connections to the upper echolons of the army and the court, and later his involvement with NWE, they had made the jump to very rich and powerful.
    He is also the brother of Sylvia Moranday.

"The Library of Nostaprim.
    You know, when I first heard about it I didn't believe it actually existed. A huge underground library, full of ancient texts and collections of prized artifacts? Sounds almost to good to be true.
    Even you have to admit that sounds like the product of an overactive immagination.
    And now I'm really here, I still can't belive it...

Yeah, yeah, I know we need to hurry, just let me savour the moment."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  30. Snake/Eater

OOC: What we also need is a timeline of what has chronologically happened in the unnamed world.

Crawkid, Gaemnomut and Prince Charon like this.