1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For a trial period of one week, allowed avatar size has been increased to 256kb, up from 51.2kb. During this time, if the forum seems to be loading slow, drop by the topic in the Announcements & Rules sub to let me know.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. QQ will be down for upgrades starting at 2030 EDT. Please be prepared and save any work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. To the many new members following Mr Zoat to our forum, I would suggest a quick read of our Rules. Don't worry, it's not a long post. Pay special attention to Rule 8. We are deadly serious about it.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. To make things official, I have added a proper description of the method to appeal a moderator action in the Rules thread.
    Dismiss Notice

To Last Time Itself {Faction/Empire Quest}

Discussion in 'Questing' started by ReinZero, Aug 26, 2014.

  1. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    [X] Attempt to charm her into aiding you (and being your friend as well too).
    [X] Chat about the Akogawa sisters. (Can be selected twice.)
    [X] Focus efforts on convincing/charming her. (Requires ‘Attempt to convince’ or ‘Attempt to charm’. Can be selected twice.)

    Probably best QQ really isn't that popular I think? SB and SV has more people so you will have more votes and probably better plans.
     
  2. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Had cross posted it onto them 12 hours ago or so. Exactly one vote combined total.
     
  3. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] Attempt to charm her into aiding you (and being your friend as well too).
    [X] Chat about the Akogawa sisters. (Can be selected twice.)
    [X] Focus efforts on convincing/charming her. (Requires ‘Attempt to convince’ or ‘Attempt to charm’. Can be selected twice.)
     
  4. Psyckosama

    Psyckosama Well worn.

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2013
    Messages:
    7,951
    Likes Received:
    20,637
    I'll bite, Rein.

    Works.
     
  5. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    [X] Discuss with her normally.

    [X] Discuss Politics in general with her. (Can be selected multiple times.)
    ---[X] Their current boarders and what had happened to Reglis
    [X] Ask about her opinion of and about nearby Clans… and then some. Or in more subtle terms, an alternative outlook on other Clans, and particularly her/her Clan’s views on them.
    [X] Discuss about Diviners.
     
  6. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Tally:

    QQ:
    [4] Attempt to charm her into aiding you (and being your friend as well too).
    [4] Chat about the Akogawa sisters. (Can be selected twice.)
    [4] Focus efforts on convincing/charming her. (Requires ‘Attempt to convince’ or ‘Attempt to charm’. Can be selected twice.)
    Truthswraith, Wing101, Ceslas, psyckosama,

    NOTE: ---[ ] How do you go about charming her? <- Needed. General idea/etc.

    [1] Discuss with her normally.
    [1] Discuss Politics in general with her. (Can be selected multiple times.)
    ---[1] Their current boarders and what had happened to Reglis
    [1] Ask about her opinion of and about nearby Clans… and then some. Or in more subtle terms, an alternative outlook on other Clans, and particularly her/her Clan’s views on them.
    [1] Discuss about Diviners.
    Adyen

    SV:
    [3] Discuss with her normally.
    [3] Ask about her opinion of and about nearby Clans… and then some. Or in more subtle terms, an alternative outlook on other Clans, and particularly her/her Clan’s views on them.
    [3] Discuss Politics in general with her. (Can be selected multiple times.)
    [3] Discuss Politics in general with her. (Can be selected multiple times.)
    A Nation's Virtue, Tempest, Tyrant's Bane

    SB:
    None.

    ---

    Slightly tied, though if the charm plan has no method proposed, then only its 'Chat about the Akogawa Sisters' portion will locked in, displacing one instance of 'Discuss Politics with her'.
     
  7. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Locking Votes. Due to a lack of write in on how to handle/angle for charming, it defaults to "Discuss with her normally". However, the Chat selection is being integrated into the vote block used as one instance of "Discuss Politics with her" is one vote short.

    [X] Discuss with her normally.

    [X] Chat about the Akogawa sisters. (Can be selected twice.)
    [X] Ask about her opinion of and about nearby Clans… and then some. Or in more subtle terms, an alternative outlook on other Clans, and particularly her/her Clan’s views on them.
    [X] Discuss Politics in general with her. (Can be selected multiple times.)

    That aside, due some of thread exchanges with a few people over wanting "more opportunities to act instead of react" and like concerns, I will say that directly, as is, it isn't possible to 'speed it up'. However, if you can meet one of two conditions before this year's last event is over, then yes, I will give the option for it.

    The reason it isn't "earlier" and has set requisites is the simple fact that the educational and development planning is already optimized to work out sufficiently at/by age 18. Running and managing everything heavily eats into time, concentration, etc. thus it doesn't mesh really well with it "earlier". However, if you can secure/obtain people whom are directly loyal to you (not the due employed sort), then it could be managed. The other condition is well..., related to what 2 year's events have been angled after and this one resulting from. I am being intentionally obtuse about the second condition due spoiler avoidance.
     
  8. backgroundnoise

    backgroundnoise "What the fuck penis?! I trusted you!"

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    597
    Likes Received:
    1,604
    What, nobody even wants to try and recruit the ninjas? We have a ninja maid after all, maybe she knows them, perhaps even has some kind of in with them? I mean, you don't even really have to make a write-in or anything, heck, if anything I suspect she'd be more surprised if we didn't try and recruit her.
     
  9. Happerry

    Happerry The Song to the Flame

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2013
    Messages:
    3,159
    Likes Received:
    3,129
    Ninja's are standoffish and paraniod, as a rule. Better to not be an obvious minionizing person and get to know them first. After all, that way, if we decide to be friends, we'll already have some information on each other and will know how to be friends and if we'd get along with them.
     
  10. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Working on update still, got interrupted earlier >_>. Current status: Almost done with first topic.

    I would just like to say that it's pretty difficult for someone already in a active leadership position to build relations with one in the first place due to the above. It's less so if you can build up a close positive relation (of some sort) before you take active leadership position -at all-. Also, it is pretty much far more likely for them to have more information on you than you having information on them (even less likely if you don't already have some).

    They have their own Clans, akin to the same vein that Samurai do, though there are differences (which are, publicly unknown).
     
  11. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    ---​
    After some thought, you settle for just discussing with her, normally. Nothing underhanded or particularly endearing, but just straight and proper discussion. It’s also a good course of action when one’s uncertain how the other would react- which you’re a little bit sure of, but it’s better to be on the safe side of things. “So, what does Nasaki-dono think of the Akogawa sisters? And it’s fine if you tone the formalities down a little.”

    “...,” Eri grimaces as she considers it for a moment. As you aren’t her liege, it isn’t strictly needed of her to go along with that, but at the same time, it’s a bit of a problem if it would cause relations problems for her ‘Onii-sama’. After a few moments of deathly silence, her lips move, “Then Kentaine-dono will also keep what transpires… adjusted for accordingly if Kentaine-dono needs to reference or refer to it?”

    “Yes, I will,” you says nodding in affirmation. It isn’t really a price or anything for you to ‘pay’ over it. If it’d get her to edge off a bit at least on the formalities, it’s progress.

    Eri nods once before exhaling. Rather deeply at that, as if letting out a fair bit of stress. “Thank you, Kentaine-dono. But on to your question… well, that is a little complicated.”

    “Complicated?” you repeat if only to egg her on forward.

    “Hai.” She pauses for a brief moment as if considering which words to use. After all, even if you’re asking her to speak frankly about the matter, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a tricky matter as to not offend the other party of whom their Clan serves. That and the fact that as Hanako is of your Personal Guard, it can borderline outright insulting you yourself if she chooses her words… poorly. “The heir of the Akogawa Clan is an old acquaintance compared to the younger sibling, though I suppose that difference makes all the difference, especially with Kentaine-dono’s clarification of her intentions. That is, I suppose Akogawa-dono is quite competent, just Akogawa-dono’s priorities and goals that Akogawa-dono applies such to are… strange.”

    “I concur, Hinako is quite strange,” you raise an eyebrow as you continue, “but competent? In what way do you mean?”

    “Well, Akogawa-dono goes out of her way to ‘encourage’ others to ease up on their more ‘firm’ behaviors,” says Eri as she shuffles around slightly, in place, as if somewhat uncomfortable about the topic, “and apparently has enough insight- somehow- to make sure she prods people the right way. Or just being a plain nuisance to those- like myself- who are less certain of Akogawa-dono’s reasons. A little less uncertain now, due Kentaine-dono’s explanation, but the workings Akogawa-dono employs for it eludes me.”

    You grimace for a moment as you nod in sympathy, but you don’t dwell on it, “Indeed, Hinako’s mind works in strange ways. But it makes for interesting sights when one isn’t on the receiving end of her… antics.”

    “Is that so?” Eri tilts her head slightly, her expression one of well tempered stoicism- initially, then a hint of slight incomprehension. One of which changes as she continues, “Akogawa-dono doesn’t know the time, place, or occasion for such foolishness. To be blunt, I am rather worried for the Akogawa Clan’s future if she is the next Clan head. If only that Akogawa-dono (Hanako) doesn’t deserve to see her (Hinako) lead the Clan her parents built up into ruins. That would not be the case if Akogawa-dono knows how to control herself, which is something Akogawa-dono apparently was never taught. Self control. How hard is it for her to refrain from doing one of those things that’s supposedly called a ‘joke’? Do you understand how hard it is to hold back from trying to attempt to beat her senseless during a mock battle in the presence of the Clan heads of both Clans? Or, in particular, a gathering of Clans of low status?”

    You refrain from commenting on her slip of tongue. “No, but I can imagine given Hanako’s insistent standards and efforts to become an exemplary Personal Guard… yes, I have a fairly good idea how embarrassing it can feel- no, how humiliating it is.”

    Eri seems to smile faintly at the mention as she nods- quite readily at that-, “Yes that’s right. It’s even worse when it’s one’s own Clan’s turn to host it.” She shakes her head. “Why bother part-taking if she’s just going to make a mockery of it? It’s just despicable! The entire mess is just… just…,” She just shakes slightly as she bites her lip, her eyes narrowed as if trying to force down an unpleasant, but hated memory. After a moment, she forcibly inhales and exhales in an attempt to vent her fury… nonviolently, “....”

    “I won’t say I understand,” you begin, as you make a slight, apologetic bow, “But I can say your anger isn’t (entirely) misplaced. I suppose Hanako does not commit such foolishness?”

    She nods once before replying in a steady tone, her earlier fury seemingly completely gone, “Hai. Unlike that disgrace (Hinako) of the Akogawa Clan, your subordinate (Hanako) of the Akogawa Clan is almost exemplary, though I would suppose the lacking parts are of little consequence.” Eri smiles faintly as if recalling a fond memory. “‘To act, behave, and honor one’s liege without concern for one’s self is but the duty of the vassal,’ so said Akogawa-dono (Hanako).”

    You smile in turn. Even if Hanako is anything but behaving and acting anywhere remotely close to how others do around you, it’s nice to have someone confirm that no, she isn’t like this all the time- and especially, especially means what she says. “Is that so. Thank you for looking after her for me.”

    Eri shakes her head, “No, I should be the one thanking you. If it weren’t for her actions, I do not know how I would face Onii-sama over my disgraceful conduct.”

    “I do not think it would be disgraceful if you took all reasonable effort to suppress it- and then some, as I would presume you did,” you then shrug while sighing, “besides, you handle her troublemaking with far more dignity (intact) than Hinako does.”

    “No, I would not think that my… dignity as you put it, would be as intact if she (Hanako) did not intervene after Akogawa-dono began her… strange behavior in earnest,” replies Eri, with visible self restraint as to not blacken the mood again.

    “So I would presume that Hanako was responsible for bringing the matter up this time?” you say, leaving the implication and subject to her interpretation.

    “Hai.” Eri nods, twice. “Akogawa-dono did so with due consideration for her liege, so I brought it up with Onii-sama. There was almost no discussion, he merely asked over some unlucky subordinate of Akogawa-dono’s sister.” She winces. “The heir of the Akogawa Clan rather readily agreed with a rather unpleasant smile- no, that’s subjective. My apologies.”

    “It’s fine,” you say while waving it off, “I would feel the same if someone close to me was being manipulated by someone I despised.”

    “The rest is as is.” Eri sighs as she concludes the extreme summary of her self-considered fiasco. You’re sure she’s trying to not rub her forehead over the memory of it.

    You shove down your original follow up to that- asking between her ‘Onii-sama’ and Hinako. If the matter already frustrates her to begin with, it… really isn’t a good idea to bring it up. If anything, moving the subject to something else would be better. Nodding to yourself, you do so, “Is there any indication her antics have inversely affected any relations for your Clan?”

    Eri glances down for a few moments as if contemplating before looking back at you, “... no, not as far as I can tell. Though in one of the instances that Awaki-dono happened to had been invited-” she winces and grimaces as if recalling a rather painful memory- “- and had requested a practice spar or so….”

    “‘Or so’?” you repeat, quizzingly. Her reaction paints it rather differently than the usual ‘unusual practice’ implications, from your understanding anyways.

    “It…,” She pauses for a few moments as her mouth opens and closes indecisively, as if uncertain how to continue. After a half a dozen repetitions, she continues, “... didn’t make sense. The arrangement was the third daughter of the Awaki Fudai Clan against one representative from each of the lesser Clans, all of whom were chosen from those at least two years her senior, up to four years tops- though I think the Kiryo Clan representative was six years older instead.”

    “From your tone, none of them stood a chance at all?”

    Eri sighs and shakes her head, seemingly having recovered her composure, “That would be putting it nicely. She wiped the field with them, with particular care to beat the Kiryo Clan’s representative to a bloody mess, though he seemed to be asking for it so…” she shrugs, “it’s hard to pity him. But the others-” Eri grimaces, “-didn’t deserve to get crushed like that in full view of Clans other than their own.”

    You nod slowly as you respond, “It’s understandable that the difference wouldn’t be bridged by only a few years difference if it’s between, well, our age group when considering the advantage a Fudai Clan’s ‘Hime’ has over a lesser Clan member.”

    “Hai, that was expected as the intention was to just humor her,” replies Eri. “But her actions reflected something… different in comparison. In hindsight, that was a misunderstanding. It doesn’t excuse her brutality- no, bloodlust.” Her expression shifts and she frowns, “Though it’s unpleasant, Akogawa-dono (Hinako) apparently managed to ruin her mood for it, which prevented the continuation of the mess.”

    You raise an eyebrow at that. “That’s… well, a relief she didn’t skewer herself over the matter.”

    “Indeed,” says Eri as she nods, “even if she’s a pest, Akogawa-dono at least wasn’t trying to aggravate the situation further. Credit is due where credit is due after all.”

    “Given that…,” you pause in faux thought for a moment, “ would Nasaki-dono mind sharing views on the Awaki Clan?”

    “... I would think it prudent,” affirms Eri as she seems to bite her lip for a moment before continuing, “The Awaki Clan of Fudai are… mostly decent people if not ones that do give due consideration to prospectively capable lesser Clans. However, the third daughter of the Awaki Clan, Awaki, Sen, is rather…-” Eri feigns a cough, “-strange in the head-” and another false cough, “-but otherwise deathly competent in combat, much like the Awaki Clan’s practice of female inheritance with males as ‘second’ to them and considered ‘less’.”

    Oh… that’s going to be a problem. Or at least a headache to deal with. “I don’t see that working out very well with other Clans.”

    “Hai. It’s a factor that puts them at direct odds with the Asami Clan, though I’m fairly certain they’re not on particularly good terms with more than a few other Clans as well. Just that it’s, if I may say, closer to open warfare against each other,” says Eri as she rubs her forehead, almost as if echoing your growing mental headache over the messed up relationships. “Whereas the Awaki Clan at least doesn’t prosecute any other Clan over or due to their views, the Asami Fudai Clan has no such restraint. They know no shame what with their prosecution of females in any position of power.”

    “...,” you almost fail to catch yourself before showing the first signs of tipping over from the literal stupidity of the stance, “and just how would they enforce that within their own Clan?”

    “... we’re not sure actually,” says Eri as she shakes her head, but her expression is quite clear- it’s revolting- “, but it may be tied to why the Clan hasn’t been assaulted all over- no, to why it’s even a Clan.”

    “I take it then that the Awaki Clan is on better terms with fellow Fudai Clans whereas the Asami Clan isn’t as well received?” you say as to move the topic along while directing her disdain towards the Asami Clan in a way that benefits you.

    “From the bits I’ve heard, it’d seem a few members within the head of Awaki Clan are personally on good relations or friends with members of the Kasugo, Hiiro, and Amari Fudai Clans.”

    You nod, the former is somewhat a bit more obvious as the Kasugo Clan does have history with the Awaki Clan, though you’re not sure if the Kasugo Clan was once apart of the Awaki Clan or not, effectively that is. “Any ideas on the particulars of it?”

    “The Kasugo Clan seems to be keeping its distance from the Awaki Clan though, at least, that’s how their interactions seem to be from what little I’ve personally seen,” says Eri as she bows apologetically in reflex- without notice of her own action, “Especially in the interactions between the senior members of both Clans. Aneue thinks that there’s particularly bad blood between them, but one that seems to be ignored by the younger generations.”

    “Or not enforced, but given how the Awaki Clan is like,” you shrug for emphasis, “I doubt it’s a lack of enforcement.”

    “In some ways the Kasugo Clan is like… well, a relative in ways, but that doesn’t make sense,” Eri sighs shaking her head as if expressing her disbelief, “why would they be on remotely good terms with the Asami Clan.”

    “...,” you blink and nod in agreement, “I suppose it would have to do with the disputes and differences between the seniors in the Awaki Clan and the Kasugo Clan. Though it could be something else… an arrangement is always possible- no, given the Asami Clan’s teachings that doesn’t seem likely to be it.”

    “And if it’s the elders, they shouldn’t be dictating policy except as ‘advice’,” says Eri, “Unless they have a flagrant disregard for their descendants.”

    “Even if they did there’s other options though, no?” you reply while performing a mock counting of possibilities, without the accompanying verbal detail.

    “If it weren’t for that, as Otou-sama says, we would have sided along with the Kasugo Clan. But no, their choice is just…,” Eri drifts off as if unwilling to finish the statement.

    “...disappointing huh,” you finish for her. You shake your head at her shift in tone over the Kasugo Clan. The apparent preference to align with a Clan that holds relatively similar values and traditions is all but laid out on her face. “There’s nothing you can do about it, but seek out the truth of the matter.”

    Eri merely nods without reply, her lips shifting to a frown, almostly pouting one could say. She sighs and slackens her posture slightly for a moment before sighing again. Opening her mouth once, closing, then grimacing, Eri straightens her posture once more before looking to you to continue. “My apologies, please, let us continue Kentaine-dono.”

    “It’s fine,” you say while waving off the apology. It’s the least you can do in exchange for another take on information you do have. “What about the Hiiro and Amari Clans?”

    “The second daughter of the Hiiro Clan and the fourth daughter of the Amari Clan are fairly close friends, though… well, I would say their relation is somewhat more akin to a toned down extremity of the Akogawa sisters.”

    “... in what way do you mean?” you motion for her to continue. It’s not private knowledge that the two Clans get along quite well, the alliance between the two that’s lasted through several changes in Clan leadership- or about three generations on both sides, goes to show quite well how solid it is. If anything, from what you know yourself, the ties between the two Clans have only grown stronger over the course of each generation. But… nothing about joining together.

    “Hiiro Seiren of the Hiiro Clan is more… normal of the two and is quite exemplary of a normal Hime as opposed to Hanabi, Amari of the Amari Clan, of whom seems to… be a bit strange or off, though I cannot fathom why Hiiro-dono would actually heed Amari-dono’s strange behavior.” Eri exhales and shakes her head faintly, “But at least Amari-dono has sense enough not to cause undue trouble, unlike Akogawa-dono (Hinako).”

    “I see, that’s quite fortunate,” you say while making mental note to keep an eye on Hinako if your Family strikes up a relationship of any kind with the Amari Clan, if only to ensure that Hinako doesn’t spread her influence to Hanabi.

    “Indeed it is, though their relation seems to be an oddity,” replies Eri, though she quickly slips into a apologetic bow on reflex as she continues, “unfortunately, we don’t have the honor nor luck to meet the others much or even enough to have a more solid grasp on matters. Except one thing. Asami, Hitagi of the Asami Clan seems to hold a more mild stance towards the Hiiro Clan- and likely others- than his Clan does. I doubt his stance on the matter will change for the better, if anything, it’s far more likely he’ll turn out like his elders.” She shakes her head to emphasize her disappointment- or disgust.

    “Yeah…,” you sigh as you nod in agreement. “It is rather unfortunate, but it can’t be helped. Speaking of which, are there any others of particular issue?”

    “Well… there’s the Azai Clan, but they’re further to the south so…,” Eri shrugs, “I did not think it would be of interest to Kentaine-dono.”

    “They’re still about close enough,” you note, even if three of the closest neighbors of note are Fudai Clans- or at least their subordinate Clans sworn to them- which means you just have to expand your scope a bit. “After all, it would be a mess of things if we went into detail about the Clans sworn into service of a Fudai Clan, no?”

    Eri nods, her expression seemingly shifting to a more content- or at least less grim- one, “In the Azai Clan’s case well, they seem to be in a bit of crisis, financial I think it is from the few negotiations I’ve had the luck to sit in on. Of course, I’m not at leisure to discuss the contents of it.”

    “That… would explain those dispatches from the Azai Clan,” you say, almost uncertain how you should take the news. Especially compared to the prior information on the other Clans. “It would be a shame if they fell apart due to financial crisis. But there really isn’t much we can do to help if we were to extend a hand to them.”

    “Hai…,” Eri frowns slightly, “I don’t think the matter will go that far. But… I do admit that Kentaine-dono’s concerns have been echoed by some of my fellow Clan members.”

    “In either case, it would be unlikely that anyone would take upon themselves the debt that the Azai Clan has incurred.” You shake your head at the idiocy of the Azai Clan. For a major Clan such a folly shouldn’t have occurred in the first place. So either something’s up, or the leadership is just… a failure. Maybe both.

    “Agreed, it simply isn’t worth the cost. Which…,” Eri pauses for a moment while settling on a choice of words, “... is probably a contributing factor.” She shakes her head, “No, from what Aneue had said about that matter, they probably banked on their worth and value.”

    “It’ll only be a matter of time until the Shogunate intervenes then,” you say while shaking your head. A pity that they’ll be dissolved due to said incompetency. While you’re on the topic of this sort of issue…, “If I recall correctly, wasn’t there already a vocal support by the Asami Clan their allies to redistribute the nation’s eastern domains? What is your take on the matter?”

    “I…,” Eri seems to dally for a moment as if unsure how to put it, “am not quite sure, given the Asami Clan’s absence of much if any allies in the region, it would be rather disastrous to their value in the eyes of their allies.”

    “So would I be correct then to assume they’re taking a risk of the Shogunate dismantling their designs on the redistribution of territory?” you propose the question without hesitation, after all, it was something that did come to your attention. But… well, it’s always nice to make sure of it from an entirely different point of view, from one that would be heavily affected by such changes more than you would.

    “Eh…?” Eri blinks and seems to connect a few dots in her head, “No, that’s not it. There’s little risk unless they wind up with the Azai Clan’s holdings, but even then. That gives them an excuse….”

    “If you put it that way,” you nod in agreement, “that makes more sense then. By shifting their positioning or annexing the Azai Clan’s holdings entirely, that means they have an easier way to ‘grow’ their influence by merely rectifying the mess the Azai Clan committed.”

    “At least it does not further justify their beliefs,” says Eri. She turns her head slightly for a moment as her mouth forms a partial frown for a moment. “If I may ask, what is Kentaine-dono’s stance on the matter?”

    … You mentally frown. This is one of the instances that really annoys you about Far Eastern address- particularly the adjustments present in South Central region ones. Is she referring to you, or your Father? But at least in this instance, the answer is obvious, “It serves the nation no benefit, if anything, it is harmful instead.” And that is due personal bias as well. With the Kentaine Family’s current domains and positioning, sharing a border with another nation- especially one that the Shogunate is on poor relations with, is ideal for opportunities to rack up achievements. Speaking of which…, “Furthermore, there is already perfectly good reasons for the Shogunate to have distributed the domains as they did. As such, pushing for changes to it implies that they suppose they know better than the Shogun. Which is, of course, treasonous.”

    Eri sighs, seemingly relieved, “Is that so. Certainly treason is rather extreme, but well, I would not pretend I can even begin to understand them (Asami Clan) at all.”

    And that, would effectively an end to that inquiry. But not without another that it opens up, of which holds value, “Speaking of which, what do you make of the balance of power in the region?”

    “There’s nothing of note is there?” replies Eri, though she seems to think on it for a few moments before saying, “Unless you count the oddity towards the Alfanz Empire border, as it does seem rather lacking compared to a decade ago.”

    “Yet no change to the arrangement in the region was done,” you continue for her. It’s a strange fact, given that the domain assignment reflects and is indicative of the nation’s intentions. But despite that, the Alfanz Empire’s decrease in their border strength along the Yamagi Shogunate-Alfanz Empire border is just bizarre due the lack of any news that would indicate forces being distributed elsewhere. Or any notable decline in any such way. “Maybe information suppression?”

    “Or de-escalation?" suggests Eri, "I mean, with the retaking of the Reglis Province only a few years ago, they'd surely need to avoid a repeat from using the same policies as before."

    Yes, that's a possibility. But you don't voice it, for one simple reason. It would mean that the Kingdom of Aforza has worked out a deal with the Alfanz Empire. From what you know, it would likely explain a bit with the lack of aid and assistance from the Aforza to Reglis during the latter’s crisis. This could be a bit problematic…, “That still leaves the Kingdom of Aforza, which its continued existence is a thorn in its side.”

    “... true.” Eri shrugs and glances away for a moment, “Maybe internal dissent is having its way with them?”

    “...,” you link as you consider the possibility. It does make sense, as both are North Western in culture as opposed to otherwise. Plus the lack of a nationally embraced religion makes for further fracturing and lack of anything to unify behind. Still, it just doesn’t feel as if it adds up right. Something… something’s missing. But what? Keeping the direction of the discussion in mind, if Eri keep pressing on the subject, well, you’ll lose out on a good point to stop pursuit on this front, so you settle for a simple response, “A possibility.”

    Eri seems to sigh in relief for a moment before grinning, “That’s good to hear. Safety is always nice, especially with opportunities, isn’t that right-”

    At that moment, the door slides- almost slamming- open, and a lady in her mid twenties with brown hair tied back into a ponytail steps into the room in a hurry, as if having hurried away from a pursuer of some sort. Her attire isn’t anything of note, formal dress attire with the crest of the Akogawa Clan embroidered upon it. Without pause, she drops to a kneeling position, “Please pardon this one’s rudeness Kentaine-dono. Please allow this one to stay for the moment.”

    “That’s fine, close the door first,” you say, without much thought over the matter. After all, Eri’s reaction makes it rather obvious.

    Eri takes only one look at the Akogawa Clanswoman before raising and turning to face the entryway, stepping forth not a moment too soon as a second figure appears, “Onii-sama, what are you doing!”

    The newly (un)announced person is a boy the same age as Eri and dressed in formal grab that clearly displays the Clan’s crest- which is only a slight difference from the normal positioning- with short black hair and black eyes with a hint of brown. “Oh Eri.” He looks beyond her almost immediately, “Ah, my apologies Kentaine-dono, but well, I’m here for her.”

    “Well then, you best be going Nasaki-dono (Eri),” you say while motioning pointlessly for effect.

    “Right,” agrees Eri as she nods, “so Onii-sama, let us be off.”

    “Not Eri,” retorts the Nasaki Clan heir, “I meant the Akogawa Clanswoman.”

    ““No I refuse”” / “No” / “Wait~”

    Both the Clanswoman and you respond simultaneously, overlapping with Eri’s own response. No wait, isn’t that- “Hinako?”

    Eri tilts her head almost reflexively upon hearing her voice, “Oh not again-”

    “Ah Akogawa-dono,” greets the Nasaki Clan heir as he turns to face the approaching, but out-of-sight (from your point of view), Hinako, “Just the person I was going to seek out.”

    “You’re at it again Shokaze?” says a rapidly nearing Hinako. “You only have to ask~”

    “Onii-sama!” snaps Eri as she takes a step forth closer towards her brother. “And Akogawa-dono, where are your manners!”

    “At home.” (Hinako)

    “““. . .”””

    The room goes silent for a moment as all eyes turn to the newly arrived (in sight that is) Hinako.

    “Don’t leave it at home!” scolds Eri, while keeping an eye on her brother,

    The Akogawa Clanswoman just slowly edges away from the doorway while keeping her eyes on the two Clan heirs. Sensible, or Hinako would just throw her to the wolves. No, Hinako would do it anyways.

    “Anyways,” says the Nasaki Clan heir, “I’ll take you up on your offer Akogawa-dono-”

    ““Denied.””

    Eri and you respond immediately. For entirely different reasons.

    “Onii-sama, please give the future of the Clan more thought,” scolds Eri as she continues, “If you do not take up the mantle from our parents then Aneue will only lead the Clan to ruin.”

    “Hinako, at least give more thought to Clan benefit,” you sigh a moment after, “or the answer’s no.”

    Eri almost rounds on you. “Kentaine-dono if that is correct, Akogawa-dono was not granted permission to do-” she gestures over at the Clanswoman, “-this?”

    “I was never informed of it,” you say while shrugging, “but the senselessness of it all is well, not really acceptable.”

    “...,” the Clanswoman just looks at you pleadingly.

    It’s… awkward really. Then again, it does make some sense as everyone present- including Eri- is of higher rank and position than her- and half of those are heirs to the position of their respective Clan of whom would then fully have free rein over their Clan- which would then include her as part of it. Which pretty much means if she acts poorly, she’ll suffer. If she doesn’t cooperate, she’ll suffer. If she doesn’t hold up to standards and demands expected of her, she’ll suffer.

    “Now now you two~,” Hinako just lazily waves it off, as if it entirely doesn’t concern her, “So Shokaze, how about it? Is that addition acceptable?”

    “...,” Eri just glares at Hinako, “What addition?”

    “You mean for Kentaine-dono’s agreement?” says Shokaze, “Eh? What’s wrong with that Eri?”

    Eri just sighs and rubs her forehead, “Please take it more seriously Onii-sama. How much do you think either of you know of each other!”

    “That’s no problem,” replies Shokaze as he smiles, “there’s worse cases!”

    “Hai hai~” Hinako nods in agreement. “Though if that’s a concern… it can be arranged~”

    The Akogawa Clanswoman just pales instantly upon hearing it, while picking up her pace somewhat, as if the act of edging away from the (insane) duo would give her some sense of safety. At least she knows well enough to keep quiet as if she isn’t here, lest they fully direct their attention onto her, again.

    It doesn’t seem this is going to go anywhere anytime soon. But you have a schedule to keep, so you’ll have to put an end to this… or just relocate elsewhere. Only if Hanako didn’t fail to keep Hinako away long enough for you to drop Aria and Kenta on her. It can’t be helped, she isn’t infallible.

    So what do you do?
    [ ] Leave the room, this isn’t your problem. You’ll just have to hold the meeting in another room, that’s easy enough to arrange for.
    [ ] Well, you can work with this, though a slight problem is if Shokaze would be disqualified for inheritance if he goes through with this. The main problem then is their elder sister, of whom Eri considers to be a threat to their Clan’s survival if she becomes Clan head.
    ---[ ] Angle/Plan to convince Eri to go along with it? (Aka Write In).
    [ ] Deny it, but consider allowing for it if Shokaze can resolve Eri’s concerns.
    [ ] Deny it, without room for negotiations, after all, responsibilities come hand-in-hand with duty and station.
    [ ] Something else? (Write In.)
     
  12. Truthswraith

    Truthswraith Making the rounds.

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] Leave the room, this isn’t your problem. You’ll just have to hold the meeting in another room, that’s easy enough to arrange for.

    I say let them deal with it. I don't see much reason to get deeply involved in this.
     
  13. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] Leave the room, this isn’t your problem. You’ll just have to hold the meeting in another room, that’s easy enough to arrange for.

    Let's leave the crazies alone.
     
  14. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    [X] Deny it, but consider allowing for it if Shokaze can resolve Eri’s concerns.
    -[X] But only if it doesn't involve you or let it be known that you'd consider allowing it.

    This... should be interesting.

    Speaking of which, we might want to suggest to our father about finding out who owns the debts to the Azai. This sounds like a perfect way to spread our influence. Or find out who's trying to undermine them.