1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For a trial period of one week, allowed avatar size has been increased to 256kb, up from 51.2kb. During this time, if the forum seems to be loading slow, drop by the topic in the Announcements & Rules sub to let me know.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. QQ will be down for upgrades starting at 2030 EDT. Please be prepared and save any work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. To the many new members following Mr Zoat to our forum, I would suggest a quick read of our Rules. Don't worry, it's not a long post. Pay special attention to Rule 8. We are deadly serious about it.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. To make things official, I have added a proper description of the method to appeal a moderator action in the Rules thread.
    Dismiss Notice

To Last Time Itself {Faction/Empire Quest}

Discussion in 'Questing' started by ReinZero, Aug 26, 2014.

  1. backgroundnoise

    backgroundnoise "What the fuck penis?! I trusted you!"

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    597
    Likes Received:
    1,604
    [X] I think that you can only measure success by how much not only you, but also those whom rely on you gain; whether they be allies, friends, or even just business partners. I personally have always found it prudent to strive for the greatest victory for the largest number of people, I believe I've heard other people refer to it as a 'win-win' situation.

    [X] Aria's boredom reaches its peak... and then some. (Aria will be automatically present.)

    [X] Aria Alflami
    [X] The Kitsune Fox sisters
    [X] Ito Kenta

    We should get to know her better, I get the feeling that making an ally out of her could prove invaluable.
     
  2. Warslick

    Warslick I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2014
    Messages:
    582
    Likes Received:
    513
    [X] I think that you can only measure success by how much not only you, but the people who you're helping or is helping gains.

    [X] Aria's boredom reaches its peak... and then some. (Aria will be automatically present.)
    [X] Aria Alflami
    [X] The Kitsune Fox sisters
    [X] Ito Kenta
     
  3. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Unusual eye colors are not uncommon and tend not to have much implication on their own. It's when in tandem with hair color.

    Red/Blue/Green/White tend to reflect a corresponding element, and are the more common unusual hair color. Though how much it is reflecting it varies from merely affinity, to lineage, to their hybrid nature, or to something different/oddity.

    Other unusual hair colors are less common and usually reflect an oddity, hybrid nature, or lineage. In the case of hybrids, it'd reflect ones that are not biased towards a single element (even if it is just sub-type of their monster nature). Whereas for Lineage it has no effect nor influence on their power nor takes away from it (it also cannot be from a Mixed Lineage). Whereas for 'oddity', it generally isn't significant unless it's tied to eye coloration as well.

    In both cases, the odds of it being true are significantly increased if one has both unusual hair and eye color (and both the same color). In the case of the common unusual colors, it means a sufficiently strong emphasis/oddity and is fairly normal for an element biased hybrid. For unusual colors, it either implies a further, more narrow selection of monster heritage (including Chimeras), a powerful Lineage, or a significant 'oddity'.

    If the hair and eye color are different, it tends to be more 'mix and match' results, though having a common unusual color + a uncommon unusual color is pretty rare. I should note that element biased hybrids can change their hair color between a more mundane one and their element reflective/indicative one. It's been demonstrated by your water elemental fyi.

    It is also possible to manage/wind up with a conditional/situation temporary change, though this is one way it can show up with a lineage- and tends to reflect 'oddity' pretty well... though it's different in more ways than an 'oddity' reflective of having natural unusual colorations.

    Note: Trying to fake having unusual hair & eye coloration is not a really good idea.

    Depending on certain other things, yes, very much possible~
     
  4. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] I think that you can only measure success by how much not only you, but the people who you're helping or is helping gains.

    [X] Aria's boredom reaches its peak... and then some. (Aria will be automatically present.)
    [X] Aria Alflami
    [X] The Kitsune Fox sisters
     
  5. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    ... Adyen, your write in, I'm not sure how it's on topic, as she's not asking on success or helping others. Please elaborate or adjust.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  6. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    She's asking if one is in the position of leader/rulership, then is it pessimistic to be judged for how much a person gains by their actions because of necessity.

    My write-in is a counter: That one should only count their actions as a gain if it benefits both people you serve and those who serve you. It may mean the same things at times, but it is not pessimistic because it helps the people that trusts in you.
     
  7. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    She's asking on a ruler/leader prioritizing personal gain/benefit, disregarding if it also benefits/is for the best of many.

    Judging from your explanation, it'd fit/work with merely minor tweaks.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  8. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    Let me rephrase it then.

    [X] Misunderstood...
    -[X] "Rulers should only act in a way that benefits more than themselves. They are the state, and the reverse is also true. If a country suffers, then wouldn't a ruler suffer as well? If something benefits a ruler directly but hurts the state, then it's not something that can be counted as a gain. But on the flip side, if a ruler benefits and it doesn't hurt the state, then there's reason why it should not be done. It's just a question of knowing all the risks and rewards."
     
  9. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    "It's a misunderstanding," you retort, shaking your head, "Rulers and leaders should only act in a way that benefits more than just themselves. Placing personal preference or the like first is acceptable if it doesn't benefit them the most out of the action itself, the nation or group they control should at least benefit from it somehow. As a result, it's a simple yet complex matter of knowing all the risks, consequences, and finally, rewards."

    "As you said, 'that's one way to look at it', and perhaps the one that's most ideal," replies Aria. Her tone strains for a moment, "But it's only under ideal circumstances. Reality is not so kind."

    "Is it? That's a pretty harsh way of looking at it," you say as you slow to a halt and turn to face Aria.

    "It may be, but that's a more realistic take on matters," her expression is a plain but simple frown as if reminiscing about something, "that's not even factoring in yet the fact that one may not necessarily have the full information available to know which course of action will result in the 'best outcome'."

    "That's true, however, one can draw a general idea of the risks and rewards involved," you retort. "If one only waited for ideal conditions before making their choices and acting, then they'd never get anything done- never mind getting anywhere in the first place."

    "Or if you're acting on false information," says Shina, she shakes her head gently, "and have little to no way to verify it first due to whatever reason or circumstances."

    "Then would, in such cases," Aria's frown shifts to a grin as if she stumbled upon something amusing, "it excuse the ruler or leader's actions due intentions of personal benefit derived from the hypothetical rewards?"

    "If the intention was for an action or decision that provides benefits for the nation or group they lead," you pause for a moment as you shift your tone to your best 'affirmation'-like tone you can manage, "then yes, it should be excusable, if but unfortunate."

    Shina catches herself, grimacing for only a split second at your response, "Indeed, it's unfortunate, but that's why one should be certain of their decision as to not regret the fallout afterwards. Some consequences are just unacceptable should they come to pass, no matter how unlikely they were."

    As she finishes speaking, both you and Aria just stare at her. Then Aria makes a quick half bow while speaking before a puzzled Shina does, "Is that so. My apologizes, it must have been rough."

    "So it's like that...," you say, your tone nearly a mutter. There's no reason to be 'glad' or 'positive' about the situation a friend's Clan suffered through, "Thank you for your advice on the matter," you conclude, making a quick nod in affirmation- it'd be strange for you to make any sort of bow at this point in time due formalities. However, even if that's so, you have to convey your intention- thus more subtle means is something you have practice with.

    Guest Audience Room (Book'd by Terun)

    There's merely four people within the room, though the feeling of emptiness is entirely absent. At the 'head' of the arrangement is yourself, with Kenta seated nearby at your side on your right side. The usual table and arrangements in the room have been cleared out for your use, instead, the two of you share a fairly well built and modestly stylish table, that angles outwards like a wide ^ , it's a fairly cheap table still by any means. On the table is but a pair of tea cups with tea prepared by Satsuki, though the (ninja) maid herself is off handling joint duty of overseeing Aria Alflami and your own safety.

    In the middle of the room, the part where the guest would be, a cheap normal rectangular table is laid out before the two Kitsune Fox sisters Sakura and Ume. Upon the table itself are about two dozen miniature images crafted by illusions. Of these the twelve formed by Sakura are rather more finely detailed and have a quality that is actually recognizable as 'people'. On the other hand, there's Ume's twelve humanoid-looking miniature images, with one that just has... its joints backwards, and only its joints backward.

    "Ume, no not that way," says a half-annoyed Sakura as she nudges herself over towards her Imouto, "that image has its body reversed."

    "Eh? But doesn't this make him stand out more?" responds Ume, she just looks at Sakura as if her issue makes no sense, "Besides, weren't you saying I should make them more 'different' as opposed to all the same?"

    "...," Sakura sighs and forces a smile, "Yes I did say that. However, this wasn't what I meant. I meant-"

    "It wasn't?" Ume tilts her head in 'confusion'- or rather complete and deliberate obliviousness, "Then was I supposed to work on the details?"

    Sakura nearly tips over for a moment before catching herself, "-yes. Yes that's what I was saying."

    "In other words, neither of them have made much progress, again," muses Kenta as he drinks from his cup of tea.

    "Well, Foxes will be Foxes," you say, sipping your tea in turn. Literally on cue, Sakura tips over headfirst into the table. And Ume straight onto Sakura, pinning her down on the floor. Simultaneously, the images dissolve as their focus slipped. Indeed, not much progress.

    For one thing, you've seen at least one instance wherein a older Kitsune managed to maintain a few illusions for entertainment of guests while directing his attention towards business proceedings. Likewise, the amount of detail, precision, and control demonstrated by the Kitsune was close enough to realistic that you'd have to be paying attention to spot the inconsistencies. Deliberate inconsistencies. Oh well, it isn't exactly something that can be taught to them, but more something they'd have to learn and develop through use.

    "Ume, please get off me," mutters Sakura as she attempts to push herself up and off the table, only to no avail.

    Her sister replies without hesitation, "(I) Don't want to."

    "You're heavy," admits Sakura as she struggles more.

    "Eh? You just need to work out more," says Ume as she props herself up... right on top of Sakura. "I'll help!"

    Sakura just tilts her head up, her face rather a slight shade of white as if Ume's words are but foreboding times of great pain and suffering to come... for her. Blinking, she seeming remembers her surroundings, and stares at you with pleading eyes. Well, maybe it's pleading eyes. Hm... nah.

    You turn to Kenta, "So, how's the adjustments gone?"

    "Well, a number of other issues corped up, but the Akogawa sisters helped put in a word and things went from there." Kenta scratches his head, his expression slight red from... embarrassment?

    "Oh?" You raise your eyebrows for a moment at the news while sipping your tea, again. "Is that so?"

    "Yes, it was during a field inspection," replies Kenta. He chuckles and shakes his head as if in relief, "They happened to have been passing by at the time and your subordinate inquired over the matter of my presence there. So I just answered bluntly. You know how she is."

    You sigh and shake your head slightly. "Yeah, first word of my involvement and she immediately promised her assistance on the matter right? I take it Hinako just went with it?"

    "Yeah." Kenta nods and sighs, "It was a bit overbearing though what with Hanako being... Hanako. If it weren't for Hinako I'd probably have petitioned you to get her off the matter."

    "Sorry about that," you say, rubbing your forehead as you do so, it's best to nurse a headache before it becomes a actual issue, "Did she cause any problems this time?"

    "Well, aside from my personal bias...," Kenta pauses as he thinks over it for a few moments, "No. She didn't dispute the matter of cost distribution amongst other matters, so it was rather handily avoided."

    "Ah, that's good to hear," you grin. "Is your sister doing well?"

    "Well yes, they're doing fine," replies Kenta. He winces however, "Just please make sure Hanako's supervised when she meets with them."

    "What-" you cut yourself short as you spot a signal from Satsuki, immediately you turn towards the 'entrance' to the room, "Hello there Alflami-dono."

    Aria just looks at you half quizzingly for a moment before shrugging it off, "There's no problem with my presence is there?"

    "No, please," you motion for her enter if she wishes, "The left side if you want. Just ignore the Foxes."

    Almost immediately, Ume just drops- or collapses- upon Sakura whom is still below her. You're pretty sure Sakura's seeing stars now from her far away look off into the room, there wasn't much she could do being pinned down by her heavier Imouto. "Eh- eh- Sister?!" She grabs the dazed/unconscious Sakura and just repeatedly shakes her... while still pinning her down. That's got to hurt.

    Aria nods, making a quick curtsy out of routine before proceeding into the room, striding right past the two Kitsune Foxes, though not before smiling faintly at their direction. She then proceeds to take up your offer on the seat to your left. "It's nice to be young and free isn't it?"

    "Speak for yourself," retorts Kenta as he grimaces, "Is it that much better? Or would being older be better?"

    "I suppose that depends on circumstances," replies Aria. "It isn't always as good as one believes, right now it might be a good thing. But days later? It could be the worst thing possible. Then years later you would reflect upon it and think contrary to your original thoughts upon the matter."

    "...," Kenta sighs and bites his lip, "Yeah, that's true."

    You wait a few moments before speaking up, just to avoid interrupting anything, "So, might I inquire what do we owe this visit from?"

    "You try being cooped up and not allowed to practice anything for a whole year, and in addition to that, anything else!" snaps Aria, though her tone maintains its polite edge still. Compared to normal, it's just rather edgy.

    "How about being swamped with duty, work, and obligations outside of practice and training?" replies Kenta.

    "At least you still get to practice and train, whereas I just get to wait around to rot," grumbles Aria. She inhales rather a bit more than necessary, and for a moment seems to pout, but doesn't. Apparently, it's not enough to exceed her well honed self restraint.

    "You understand as well as I do why," you respond, though you frown over the matter. You understand where she's coming from on her end, though all the same, it's a security risk and also part of due 'hostage' deal bit, "but maybe we could work something out... possibly. No guarantees."

    "Understand and tolerate are two different matters. How do girls from a Clan tolerate this anyways?" replies Aria.

    "They're usually a 'known' factor, thus it's... not as strict," you reply with care to your choice of words. "Besides, with the sort of arrangements made for your privacy and all that, it's also much more still than the usual. That's alongside other arrangements as well, thus it's a rather balanced trade off...-"

    Aria just glares at you, but says nothing.

    "-from what was conveyed anyways," you finish. "I wasn't responsible for handling that detail, or rather, that's how it ended up from the response on your side's end."

    "I see... no wonder it was like that." Aria's face darkens as she averts her gaze from you, biting her lip as she seems to ponder something. She closes her eyes and stays silent for a few moments, a frown dawning upon her face in the meantime. "That is my problem, so keep your noses out of it. As for the other matters... I'll speak to your parents over it. Thank you for your time, I'll be leaving first then." With that, she gets up from her seated position and turns to leave, making only a short pause as to help Ume off Sakura.

    "Eh?" mutters a confused- or oblivious Ume. Though by this point, Sakura seems to have recovered slightly. "What was that about?"

    "It's nothing that concerns you Foxes," says Aria. / "It doesn't concern you two," you say.

    "We are Kitsune, not Foxes!" retorts Ume. Surprisingly, she doesn't react to being called a Fox by her. Then again...

    "Then prove it, Fox," you say with a grin on your face.

    Ume's head tilts downwards as if smacked over the head with a figurative hammer, before proceeding to collide head-first into the table, splitting it clearly in half. Clearly she's too heavy, and needs to diet. More seriously, you're just going to deduct the costs for replacing that table from your budget towards her pet funds.

    Afterwards you...
    [ ] Put in a good word for Aria with your parents.
    [ ] Do nothing about it, Aria probably won't appreciate your meddling in it, right?
    [ ] Ask your parents to let you handle this matter personally.
    ---[ ] How do you intend on handling it?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  10. Truthswraith

    Truthswraith Making the rounds.

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] Do nothing about it, Aria probably won't appreciate your meddling in it, right?
     
  11. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    [X] Put in a good word for Aria with your parents.
    -[X] Or more pointedly, point out that Aria is starting to go stir crazy with nothing to do.
    -[X] Ask what exactly was the condition of her being kept here anyways?
     
  12. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    [X] Put in a good word for Aria with your parents.
    -[X] Or more pointedly, point out that Aria is starting to go stir crazy with nothing to do.
    -[X] Ask what exactly was the condition of her being kept here anyways?
     
  13. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] Ask your parents to let you handle this matter personally.
    ---[X] If she wants more to do then let's give it to her. If she shares our workload it will increase her understanding and might make her a bit less of a pain in the neck.

    It's time for us to take a more active role in the clan. This situation seems ideal for that.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  14. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Vote not closed yet. Just a little question (or two) for you guys though.

    This Event should be pretty short in post count (not length). So depending on how it goes, would you like a potential follow up (GM decided) event (for this year)?

    Also, if you guess Aria's circumstances correctly... I'll count it IC as well... depending on the winning vote. I will not confirm it before that update however (ie. You have until the end of this event).
     
  15. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    Yes please it would be nice not to only have one event a year.
     
  16. Malcolmo

    Malcolmo Insert custom title here

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2013
    Messages:
    2,412
    Likes Received:
    2,643
    [X] Put in a good word for Aria with your parents.
    -[X] Or more pointedly, point out that Aria is starting to go stir crazy with nothing to do.
    -[X] Ask what exactly was the condition of her being kept here anyways?
     
  17. Tempest

    Tempest Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2014
    Messages:
    358
    Likes Received:
    52
    [X] Put in a good word for Aria with your parents.
    -[X] Or more pointedly, point out that Aria is starting to go stir crazy with nothing to do.
    -[X] Ask what exactly was the condition of her being kept here anyways?
     
  18. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    “Satsuki,” you call out to your ninja maid, whom appears almost immediately from behind the doorway, “tell my Mother I wish to speak with her, before Aria gets her meeting and to keep silent on my involvement.”

    “Hai, Master.” Mari nods quickly before turning and leaving your field of vision.

    With the immediate issue of heading Aria off over, you get to wrapping up the abrupt end to your session with Kenta and the Foxes. “I’m sorry Kenta but we’ll have to continue this at a later time.”

    The heir of the Ito Clan but shakes his head, “It’s fine. I’ll wait here. If she comes back, someone has to cover for you no?”

    You chuckle a bit at his response and grin, “Thanks. I’ll be counting on you then.” Without pause, you stand up and proceed to leave the room, as you do, you call out to your two Foxes, “Sakura, Ume, cooperate with Kenta on it.”

    “Hai, Goshujin-sama / Yes, Master,” replies Sakura and Ume respectively.

    Sakura can be counted on it at least to try, as long as Ume doesn’t try to take the lead it should be fine. Her playfulness on the other hand, is at least useful for catching slip ups though. So they make a good pair… when they’re being serious. Which is nearly ever, in your presence anyways, that you know of anyways.

    ---​

    [Private Meeting Room]

    “Maid, leave us, no interruptions,” orders your Mother from her seated position across from you.

    “Hai, Okugata-sama.” Making a quick bow, Satsuki steps backwards out of the room, slides the door closed and immediately steps out.

    “So what was it that you wished to speak about that was so urgent?” asks your Mother as she shifts to a less formal seated posture. It’s a family chat without interruptions so it’s perfectly fine, or rather, it’d be just fairly strange to maintain formality for the most part in private.

    “To begin with, I would like to keep my involvement… quiet about this from Aria,” you say. After confirming your Mother’s assenting nod, you continue, “She came to me just recently over the matter of her… ‘stay’, or simply put, the lack of physical activity and the like is-” -you clear your throat for emphasis- “-intolerable.”

    “Indeed, given the conditions attached, it would be more surprising if that didn’t happen,” replies your Mother. Her eyes meet yours and she smiles faintly, “You’re curious about the conditions.”

    It isn’t a question, but a fact. You nod, “Yes, her behavior has piped my interest to the cause behind it.”

    “Have you tried simply asking her?”

    “No,” you shake your head frowning somewhat, “However, judging from her behavior and her direct refusal to ask me to intercede in any way speaks some degree of either distrust or at least refusal to diverge info on/about her circumstances and the conditions behind her being our ‘guest”

    “Is that so?” Your Mother chuckles faintly and sighs, “Such stubbornness, I told her that would be the easy solution… but it’d seem she misconstrued it,” she shakes her head gently, “That is something that you’ll have to hear from her directly.”

    “In other words Mother, you wish for me to handle this myself?” you respond in equal implication. It’s not being rude, but rather the fact that she deflected the matter right back towards the person in question.

    “Well…,” your Mother smiles, “It isn’t my problem if the person overseeing her safety happens to be... doing her task.”

    You chuckle at that. It’s a very specific way of interpreting sensitive matters and problems. “Thank you very much Mother.”

    “No need to thank me,” says your Mother, “You still have to figure it out on your own.”

    “Yeah, I will,” you promise. It’s only a matter of… when. Of course by ‘figure it out on your own’ you read it as simply ‘with your own assets and subordinates’. “But what about her issue?”

    “Ah yes, your Father and I have already discussed the matter.” She grins at your puzzled expression. “It was already agreed upon a week after her arrival. Anything more than that will be of your own doing.”

    In other words, the it won’t be particularly favorable to Aria, but it’s still reasonable enough to work. However, anything ‘more’ than that means you’ll have to piece together the matter, earn Aria’s willing cooperation, and.... more, like taking matters into your own hands. As you think over it, you realize something, "Mother, what were the conditions she's under?"

    Your Mother eyes you approvingly, as you've managed to at least properly notice that her choice of words doesn't cover not telling you about the conditions. "Increased Privacy, Minimal obstruction of movement and oversight. In exchange, no physical or magical exertions, and no outside contact."

    You attempt to fight down a stupid grin from showing on your face, but you fail anyways as your Mother laughs at your awkward facial expression. Honestly, you need to work a bit on getting a better grip on your emotional expression. Ok, it's not that bad, just... with family. Ah whatever, you laugh as well.

    And after that, the meeting just devolves into regular family talk.

    ---​

    [Next Day - Main Audience Room]
    [Third Person PoV - Satsuki]

    At the present time, there’s only two people in the room. First is the wife of the head of the Kentaine Family, Kentaine Rei, of whom is seated in the normal position reserved for the head of the Family- if only because she is representing him at the moment. The second is the one who calls herself Aria Alflami, and she is but almost three-fourths across the room’s length away from her, and kneeling while looking forward at Kentaine-sama.

    The rest of the room is neatly arranged as per normal. No changes needed after all. And aside from one Satsuki Mari, there is no one within earshot of the room. However, that does not mean the room isn’t properly secured against potential intrusion nor that hostiles can’t be timely intercepted. A careful, but normal deception, one that varies from Clan to Clan.

    “So you cannot bear with it anymore?” says Kentaine-sama, as she holds a netural posture facing Aria.

    “As I’ve told you before, if you’re referring to that way,” Aria grinds her teeth, “I refuse”

    “I suggested it only out of mutual benefit,” replies Kentaine-sama, “I never said it was your only option.”

    Aria blinks and looks taken back by Kentaine-sama’s response. Biting her lip for a moment, she responds, “It was the most ‘optimal’ in your eyes, correct?”

    “I wouldn’t say ‘optimal’, but that certainly serves both our interests, though you beg to differ, is that right-?” says Kentaine-sama as if deliberately holding back something. Or it’s just intentional.

    The light violet haired girl stays silent for a few moments as if pondering something. Then she grimaces as she speaks, “That’s up to interpretation. That is not something to be proposed lightly. However, in spite of it, I agree, that could potentially serve both our interests. But that would be acting in the interests of a certain other as well. So I cannot accept, for both our sakes.”

    Kentaine-sama looks at Aria and nods in sage-like manner, probably for emphasis and agreement out of her personal experiences. “In due time you might find that acceptable anyways. But for now, let’s agree not to speak of it for the duration of the negotiations.”

    Aria nods. “Agreed. So what are the alternatives then?”

    “As for the first…, You will perform bodyguard duties for my son in exchange for a limited amount of time each day to… ‘spread your wings’ or whichever you’d like within reason and further agreement between us. The amount of time will start at… an hour, with increases depending on performance and other factors. However, should he come to physical harm due to your negligence…,” Kentaine-sama simply leaves the implication hanging. It’s open ended enough, yet implies a certain consequence.

    Aria just looks at Kentaine-sama with a flat expression, as if asking why didn’t Kentaine-sama bring it up first instead of that, “Accepted. Though if I may suggest, that we have to work out a bit on the factors involved together, is that acceptable?”

    [Third Person PoV Over]
    ---​

    [Guest Audience Room (Book'd by Terun)]

    “And that… is all,” reports Satsuki as she bows apologetically. “Kentaine-sama would not allow me to oversee any further from that point.”

    “It’s not your fault,” you say while smiling at her. “Thank you for reporting it. Please continue keeping an eye on Aria. Also, please notify Kenta that he may come over now that your report’s over.”

    “Hai, Master,” Satsuki nods before turning and quickly departing with nothing more than a normal walking pace.

    ---​

    Whom else also comes along?
    [ ] Satsuki Mari
    [ ] Aria Alflami
    [ ] The Akogawa Sisters (Cannot Pick in conjunction w/ Fox Sisters)
    [ ] The Kitsune Fox Sisters (Cannot Pick in conjunction w/ Akogawa Sisters)
    [ ] Ito Kenta
     
  19. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    [X] Aria Alflami

    Hohoho looks like our mother is trying to get us married or atleast engage to Aria not a bad prospect in itself although I wonder how a child whose parents have an Ice and Fire considering Aria's name lineage respectively would work.

    In any case I think it's best to go only with Aria as it gives a higher chance to get closer since there would be lest interruptions.
     
  20. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    It generally has no bearing on it unless there is sufficient consistency on one or both parents end of things, and that gets complicated due to possible generational combinations.... The main factors that influence the child having a Lineage or not is if the parents have one, how powerful they both are at the time, and that both are human (or sufficiently fully human). Purity of the Lineage also stems from that.

    I should note this is the 2nd Event (due shortness of the first one). You can probably figure out which one it is.

    ---

    That aside the freebie is still available presently..., so if you want to try your hand at it, go ahead. If you're correct it'll show up in the update, if not it won't. Once this update is over, it'll be gone~

    Also, at the end of the Event, you will have a choice of checking out information on Aria..., and how much of your personal funds you're willing to commit to that end. The result will show up during the next Event (you're not rich enough for faster results). And if you're curious, the last Event is at age 18, and Childhood Phase ends at age 18.
     
  21. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    The freebie is it about guessing the circumstance around Aria? and if so can I make more than one guess?
     
  22. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Yes, and yes.
     
  23. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    [X] The Akogawa Sisters

    I don't feel like leaving out anyone.
     
  24. Truthswraith

    Truthswraith Making the rounds.

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] The Akogawa Sisters (Cannot Pick in conjunction w/ Fox Sisters)
     
  25. Malcolmo

    Malcolmo Insert custom title here

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2013
    Messages:
    2,412
    Likes Received:
    2,643
    Since no one has been trying to guess what her circumstances are, I'll give it a go. We know she's probably related to the leader of the Scarlet knights, mainly due to her name, we also know that the Scarlet knights and the kingdom they're from are extremely likely to suffer aggression from the Alfanz empire, mainly due to them having rebelled against it. Additionally, we know that Aria has a lineage of some sort that's probably fairly powerful, mainly due to the fact her eyes and hair are of violet cover which implies she has a lineage as well as the fact our protagonist was actually worried about her being able to fight her way out if she wanted to as well as how our mother was willing to offer her bodyguard duties. We also know that she thinks of this as being for her personal gain as well which implies she's getting something out of this even though she is annoyed at the lack of opportunities to train.

    My guess is that she probably has something to do with the classified information the Scarlet knights have and is being sent here to help ensure her safety as well as force the Alfanz empire to run the risk of getting the Yamagi Shogunate to declare war should they use more overt means to get to her as well as hinder covert attempts due to secrecy. Which probably also ties in to how the conditions were no outside contact as well as privacy. The restriction on physical and magical exertions imply that her magic is fairly noticeable and/or distinct which would go against keeping her location unknown.

    That's my guess at least though I get the feeling I'm missing something. That and that I don't have all the information related to this puzzle.
     
  26. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    1) The PC's worry was due to odds of potential threat to his life in the process.
    2) Lineages themselves, directly don't need 'use' to improve. What the Lineage makes use of/benefits/etc OTOH.... For example, for the PC, using Arctic Ice isn't noticeably different under conditions that don't draw attention to its differences. However, using Arctic Wind would be noticeable.
    3) Exact words, what is/isn't said/used. It isn't noted directly in the update, but she's 3 years your senior.
     
  27. Tempest

    Tempest Not too sore, are you?

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2014
    Messages:
    358
    Likes Received:
    52
    [X] The Akogawa Sisters
     
  28. Happerry

    Happerry The Song to the Flame

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2013
    Messages:
    3,159
    Likes Received:
    3,129
    [X] The Akogawa Sisters
     
  29. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Been a little distracted and slightly lost track due to slow voting (and lack of much discussion).

    Vote locked: [X] The Akogawa Sisters

    Update will be up later. Speculation such on Aria's circumstances is still open though (that's including for the current update).
     
  30. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Moments later, you hear footsteps. Not one set... but two. He's already here? No wait, that pace-

    Coming straight into view as she halts at the entrance of the room is a certain black haired girl dressed in formal attire based on actual battle garb, not in design but purpose as well, though all the most costly because of it. Her waist length hair is but a contrast to her emerald green eyes, that one could say would make more sense if they were the color of the sun. Your fanatical little follower of the Akogawa Clan-

    She knees as she speaks, "Your faithful servant Akogawa, Hanako has-"

    -her face colliding into the ground, the foot of only one certain person. With shoulder length black hair, matching eyes, and barely formal attire, is the heir to the Akogawa Clan-

    "Akogawa, Hinako," you greet, "glad you could make it (in time)"

    "Anytime, anywhere, and maybe a bit more-" She steps back as Hanako suddenly springs up, apparently revived.

    "Wh-what are you spouting this early in the day!" stammers Hanako. (tr.: "What nonsense are you spouting to Tono-sama!")

    A grin flashes across Hinako’s face, “I only spoke what was on your mind (for you).”

    “Hi-Hina!” Hanako’s face flushes a shade of red, “Please stop with the jokes.” (tr.:”That-that… maybe a little.)

    “Well even if it’s true, please enter,” you say motioning for the sisters to come in. Even if Hinako likes to mess around, she still adheres to the base minimum formalities- in some way only. Hanako on the other hand, needs to loosen up over it.

    “Of course, Kentaine-dono.” Hinako steps right on in after a brief nod of affirmation. “Come on now Hanako, how long are you going to kneel there?”

    “Ah.” Hanako averts her face slightly, a mild embarrassment, as she then bows, “Pardon our intrusion.” Then she stands and enters, eventually taking up a seated position behind you to your left.

    It’s more out of the respect of the figurative concept of having a ‘right hand man’, of which she doesn’t consider herself as suitable for. Neither is Satsuki, as she’s an employee as opposed to directly loyal to you outside of that. The matter itself isn’t very important in your opinion, at the present, though it’s something that will come to pass when the time is right. Worrying about it solves nothing.

    Hinako on the other hand, seats herself to the left side of the table, though she makes no effort to bother with sitting properly, which earns her a glare from Hanako. “So, Kentaine-dono, where’s the guest of honor for today?”

    “Unless Alflami-dono’s delayed Satsuki-” An impossibility, not to mention that she shouldn’t even be in the same direction as Kenta. “-it’s much more likely Kenta’s making sure everything’s in order.”

    “That’s right, Ito-dono may be in need of help often, be he certainly makes an effort to show something for it,” says Hanako as she bobs her head up and down in agreement.

    A flash of inspiration flashes across Hinako’s face, “I thought you were trying to impress your-”

    “It-it was just one vassal helping another!” stammers Hanako. (tr.: “It was nothing major.”)

    “Huh, is that so?” says a certain guest of honor, “Akogawa-dono, you’re here as well?"

    "Of-of course I would come if Tono-sama calls for me," replies a (mock) offended Hanako.

    “And there you have it, straight from the horse’s mouth,” muses Hinako, chuckling as she spoke.

    “Is that so, that’s wonderful news,” comments the senior of the two Ito siblings as she walks up from behind Kenta. She shifts her attention back to you and drops to a kneel, pushing Kenta down to his knee as well with her free hand. “My apologies for my brother’s lapse in manners.”

    “It’s fine,” you say while waving it off, for a moment before inspiration strikes you. Grinning mischievously, you continue, “though it’d seem Hanako has something against that….”

    “That is so, that is so,” says Hanako as her head bobs up and down, “that-” she freezes as realization strikes, “I-I’m fine with it if Tono-sama finds it acceptable.” (tl.: “That was unbecoming of me in Tono-sama’s presence. *pout* ”)

    Shina releases her hand from Kenta as she stands and proceeds to enter, “Come Kenta, she’s not going to bite you over it.”

    You hear Hanako inhale as if ‘puffing up’ in mock offense at the comment. (tl.: “I-I don’t bite!”)

    “Hai, Onee-sama.” Without pause, Kenta stands and walks at a hurried pace to catch up to his sister’s side. The two siblings take up seating across from you, with Kenta immediately across from you, and Shina across from Hanako.

    “I’m supposing this matter concerns your sister,” you say, to which Kenta nods and you continue, “Your parents haven’t given up trying to marry her off?”

    Kenta bites his lip for a moment and sighs, “Yes, if anything, I think they’re using that Alflami-dono as their excuse for pressing the matter.”

    You frown as you ponder the situation. Given that was suggested to Aria, it helps them build some actual justification, even if you’re fairly sure they don’t have anything to prove that was suggested or even considered as a possibility by Aria. However, you don’t have the luxury of using that as an excuse to shut their attempts down- it’d only be a temporary solution that wouldn’t be doing your friend any favor. It isn’t as if you don’t have any options, just… that you only have one more ‘immediate’ option at your disposal: Having her appointed as a personal guard of yours. If you did that, you’d suspect that Hanako would be happy in more ways than one. On the other hand, the problem is how well Kenta would take it. You don’t have the luxury of asking him or checking with him over it as the possibility itself being broached is likely to be too sensitive given how close he is to her.

    That aside, you’re fairly sure it wouldn’t be as big an issue for Shina, given everything considered, you could keep her around Kenta more often instead. However, that’s only going to last as long as you haven’t inherited the mantle of Family head- which you’re sure will come to pass in a decade at most- likely less.

    “What are your opinions on the matter,” you ask of those gathered. A wise leader at least considers the opinions and advice of his subordinates.

    “Nothing comes to mind for a long term solution,” says Kenta as his eyes glance down upon the table, a hint of depression? “If a long term solution isn’t possible, then I would hope that Onee-sama won’t have to resort to anything risky.”

    Well, that means you can’t assign her to combat duties or ones more likely to carry high risk of it. Respecting his wishes on the matter is something you can easily do, though it just makes finding a solution all the more complicated. Oh well.

    “I wouldn’t mind if Ito-dono provides aid or assistance,” comes a welcome and unexpected angle, “if she is handling various matters of importance for Tono-sama then there is nothing that can be done about it no? Furthermore, it gives more pretext for Ito-dono to meet with Tono-sama.”

    Everyone just stares at Hanako in shocked silence. A few seconds pass before she speaks, “Eh? Is something wrong?”

    “Sister, did you eat something strange?” (Hinako)

    “Akogawa-dono, are you sure you’re feeling well?” (Shina)

    “Did you hit your head somewhere Akogawa-dono?) (Kenta)

    “Wh-what are you all saying?! I’m not stupid!” stammers a bleat red Hanako.

    Hinako backs away in (mock) surprise “Sister, you mean you weren’t an idiot?”

    “You’re actually this smart?” you supply while struggling to maintain a straight face.

    “Was Akogawa-dono always this capable?” muses Shina, her tone clearly amused. (tl.: “Sure why not.”)

    “Akogawa-dono,” Kenta bows, “I seem to have misjudged you.”

    “I-I’m not an idiot! I always do my best for Tono-sama,” says Hanako as her face turns another shade of red and her hands fidget nervously. (tl.: “Well… I don’t mind it per say….”)

    “Well, sudden outbursts aside,” you say, steering the conversation back on track by brute force, “Hinako?”

    Hinako seems to ponder it for a few moments, before slipping into a grin, “Maybe send them a strongly worded sign of your disapproval with their meddling in Ito-dono’s love life?”

    “Love-love life?” stammers a scarlet faced Kenta. “Onee-sama isn’t like that!”

    “Ah yes,” you nod (in mock) sagely as if remembering details of and about it.

    “Well, now that you bring it up…,” Shina feigns being lost in thought over it. (tl.: “Sure, let’s go with that.”)

    “Ito-dono’s love life…,” mutters a dreamy sounding Hanako. (tl.: “How sweet.”)

    “So, when’s the marriage?” Hinako supply (un)helpfully, grinning as you do so.

    “Well,” Shina trades a (non-existent) knowing glance with you, “it’s Dear
    s
    decision.”

    “Things came up here and there so…,” you say scratching your head as you make stuff up, “probably when our schedules match up?”

    “Ke-Kentatine-dono, O-Onee-sama?!” Kenta stares at the two of you in bewilderment.

    All to the tune of Hanako sighing in blissful (ignorance) happiness in the background. “Tono-sama and Ito-dono….” (tl.: “I’m so happy for them both.”)

    “Jokes aside,” you mentally grin as Kenta slams headfirst into the table- and Hanako collide into the floor, “any ideas Shina?”

    “Directly ordering them to cease such attempts after you’ve taken your position as head of the Kentaine Family,” announces Shina, her tone leaving little to thought as to her (lack of) love for her parents.

    “... well, that was blunt,” you remark while rubbing your head. It is rather straight forward and simple, though that would potentially cause some friction with them in the long run. Which would make them unlikely to contribute much after passing on the position of head to Kenta.

    Well then, what do you do/decide?
    [ ] Go with Hanako’s ”insane” stroke of brilliance.
    [ ] Go with Hinako’s short term solution.
    [ ] Go with both Hinako’s short term solution and Shina’s suggestion.
    [ ] Make Shina part of your Personal Guard.
    [ ] Something else? (Write In.)