1. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For a trial period of one week, allowed avatar size has been increased to 256kb, up from 51.2kb. During this time, if the forum seems to be loading slow, drop by the topic in the Announcements & Rules sub to let me know.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. QQ will be down for upgrades starting at 2030 EDT. Please be prepared and save any work.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. To the many new members following Mr Zoat to our forum, I would suggest a quick read of our Rules. Don't worry, it's not a long post. Pay special attention to Rule 8. We are deadly serious about it.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. To make things official, I have added a proper description of the method to appeal a moderator action in the Rules thread.
    Dismiss Notice

To Last Time Itself {Faction/Empire Quest}

Discussion in 'Questing' started by ReinZero, Aug 26, 2014.

  1. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    [X] Something else?
    - [X] Ask your parents to send her as a liaison to the Knight Order, and to be positioned with the Order to make sure that any communications with them will be received as soon as possible.
    --[X] Hide that fact by sending her to check on all Guild halls near the Kitasawa region, but make it so that it is somewhat hidden that she spends more time there than anywhere else.

    If I'm reading this right, the parents of Kenta/Shina is trying to push a marriage between the sister and us? And I think we're either undecided or not interested in it to be done in their terms?

    So there's 3 ways to deal with this. Delay it, Agree to it, or Deny it.

    Delaying it is basically the short-term solutions.

    Agreeing isn't what I really want to do at the moment.

    So that leaves us with Disagreeing. I get the feeling that we don't want to anger the family either, so the best way to do that, while showing that we disagree, is to have her sent to do something important, yet far away. In this case, if we want to send her to be a liaison with the Order, we should send her in a black-op kind of thing so if her parents ask, we can use "it's too important to be known publicly" as an excuse.
     
  2. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Write in works. Responding in detail to the rest (clarifying) later.
     
  3. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    [X] Adyen

    Awesome plan Adyen you have my support.

    Also for Aria I'm guessing that's she's a member of the Royal family from the kingdom where the scarlet knights originated from or a member of the leaders that pushed for independance.
     
  4. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    No, they're using the 'possibility' of Aria being sent as an attempt to broach a political marriage between you and Aria as an excuse to resume pushing for getting Shina married off. Shina wouldn't be a valid wife candidate for you until much much later IC.

    The only reason why it isn't just arbitrarily decided is because of Kenta's relationship with you... since Shina acts often in her (little) brother's beet interests. It is kind of justified from a/their point of view as to reinforce their Clan's strength, relations, and ties.

    Hanako’s suggestion boils down to giving Shina a range of assignments that place her in close proximity to you along with tasks of such sort.

    Hinako’s is just delaying.

    Hinako + Shina's is delay until you inherit, then smack down on tge subject of marrying off Shina.

    The fourth option is to add her to your Personal Guard. Which due the nature of the position, removes her from most/the usual inheritance legibility and their rights in determining anything about it concerning her.
     
  5. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    Ah. So my idea becomes "keep her so busy with covert-ops thing that they can't nag at her about it because she's doing something important", isn't it?
     
  6. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Something important for you. That's the key part/point. They'd need a better excuse if they want to try to push for rescinding... and even if they do manage that, the range of possibilities is pretty limited due to (effectively) direct subordinate position to your Family. And most of those remaining possibilities are not of that high value that you can't dismiss.
     
  7. Truthswraith

    Truthswraith Making the rounds.

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] Go with Hanako’s ”insane” stroke of brilliance.

    We honestly mostly just need to keep them from thinking about it to be honest. It may be useful to marry her off later and it's easier once Terun becomes the leader of the Family to stall them. I don't think it's wise to go straight to telling them not to try due to risk of friction. So that should be on the table but mostly as a last resort. That should be used if the problem gets too large to fix anytime soon because of changes in circumstances.
     
  8. Happerry

    Happerry The Song to the Flame

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2013
    Messages:
    3,159
    Likes Received:
    3,129
    [X] Something else?
    - [X] Ask your parents to send her as a liaison to the Knight Order, and to be positioned with the Order to make sure that any communications with them will be received as soon as possible.
    --[X] Hide that fact by sending her to check on all Guild halls near the Kitasawa region, but make it so that it is somewhat hidden that she spends more time there than anywhere else.

    This sounds good to me.
     
  9. Malcolmo

    Malcolmo Insert custom title here

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2013
    Messages:
    2,412
    Likes Received:
    2,643
    [X] Adyen

    My only worry is that if fighting breaks out near the knight order there's a pretty good chance she'll get caught up in it.
     
  10. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    Well, I'd like to think that the hostage we have would help in preventing that.
     
  11. Malcolmo

    Malcolmo Insert custom title here

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2013
    Messages:
    2,412
    Likes Received:
    2,643
    It's not the knights I'm worried about. It's the Alfanz empire.
     
  12. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    I'd like to think that we're part of another big empire would help in preventing that. :p
     
  13. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Been distracted + busy, locking vote and updating. A shame none of the speculation/guesses posted up are correct (no penalty though).
     
  14. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    "Hanako's holds some merit I admit," you say nodding, "However, the excuse itself could be considered a bit flimsy, or more appropriately- too convenient. So instead, I'll assign an extended task what with the matter over the Order of the Scarlet Knights."

    "...," the room remains silent for a few moments as everyone present considers your take on Hanako's suggestion. Then, Shina speaks up, "Using circumstances on your side combined with using ties between yourself and Kenta to ensure their current approach is completely invalidated correct?"

    You merely shrug, "That's the gist of it. Though might as well go the whole way instead no?"

    "Eh?" Hanako tilts her head, seemingly slightly confused. (tl. "What do you mean?")

    Hinako waves nonchalantly, "In other words, an investigation (of the Order)."

    "Th-that...," Kenta bites his lips as he attempts to keep himself from glancing to check his Onee-sama's reaction to it. He manages to do so, as he stares down at the table in an attempt to draw his eyes attention to something neutral.

    "-is agreeable for me," supplies Shina as she nods in affirmation while maintaining eye contact with you in the process, and just for that. (tl.: "Acceptable, Kenta has to make the final call over it however.")

    "Well if it's Ito-dono... I suppose it's not a problem (for her)," concurs Hanako. ("I suppose I can concede the task to Ito-dono.")

    "So, Ito-dono? Will you accept or decline?" Hinako smiles, a business smile, "Kentaine-dono is giving you fail say over the matter no?"

    You merely nod and keep your silence- and your eyes meet Shina's- and she faintly shrugs in the direction of Hinako. So you turn your gaze back over, only to see Hinako motioning- no, beckoning you forth to voice your stance. It's a bit of a gray area, you don't want to pressure Kenta into making a hard choice he'll regret later, while all the same, as you're not a Samurai and the fact that the Ito Clan is only 'effectively' under the Kentaine Family as opposed to formally sworn to you or your family means you technically don't have leeway to outright decide it without the head or heir's tact approval. Of course, he already affirmed he's fine with your decision as long as it keeps Shina safe- your plan may potentially put her at some risk, thus your reluctance is fully understandable.

    You straighten up, and speak in your firmest tone that you can manage, "Kenta, the decision is yours to make. If it's unacceptable...."

    Kenta blinks and glances up at you, sighs once, and speaks, "... I... I understand the risks. I'll be leaving Onee-sama in your care. Just keep me informed if anything happens (with regards to her safety)."

    "I will, I was intending on keeping you informed," you nod and gesture towards Hanako. "Even if I didn't, Hanako would."

    "Well, that, erm," stammers Hanako. (tl.: "Yes, yes I would.")

    "Then that concludes this matter," you say, nodding to yourself- and affirming that this matter is resolved for now. Then you proceed to stand, "I'll be going ahead to convey it then." You extend a hand to Kenta, "Want to come?"

    He looks at you and for a moment, the two of you meet eye to eye. Then, Kenta clasps his hand to yours and smiles faintly, "I'll take you up on that."

    As Kenta proceeds to stand, you look over at Shina for a moment. Shina merely nods in what you think is approval at your actions- or Kenta's, perhaps both. Which reminds you of something, "Ah right, Hanako, wasn't there something you were wanting to discuss with Shina? If you don't, you'll have less time to do so later."

    "Ah-ah yes, that's right," stammers Hanako as she claims to have remembered upon your reminder. Probably not. (tl.: "Well if it's Tono-sama, I don't mind being treated like an idiot...." *blush* )

    ---​

    The matter is pretty much handily resolved as it really isn't hard to get your idea approved by your parents. So it's now more a matter of how much your concerns are proven... or disproved, though presently, there's nothing that seems to be off or wrong about the Order of the Scarlet Knights. As for other Guild Halls... mostly minor disputes and the like. A few petition cases for a Guild Hall did stand out though.

    Among them the one that stood out the most to you was... This will occur immediately after the next event.
    [ ] A group of Diviners.
    [ ] A group of Household Servants.
    [ ] A pack of Wolves.
    [ ] A tribe of 'City' Elves.

    ---​

    The matter over Aria Alflami and the Order of the Scarlet Knights isn't one that you can ignore. But as is, you lack personally loyal assets that can pull off espionage and the like. So you'll have to just... hire some if you want more information. As you don't know any group or the like, you'll have to approach your parents about it- a non-option due your Mother- or Mari. With Shina also assigned to keep track of more obvious actions and such, you already have a method of misdirection so blame shouldn't fall upon you or her in any way.

    Do you fund a check into the matter? Info will be included in next event.
    [ ] No.
    [ ] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[ ] The bare minimum (25%).
    ---[ ] Half your personal stash (50%).
    ---[ ] Most of your personal stash (75%).
    ---[ ] Break your piggybank open (100%).

    ---​

    Given what had occurred, you're rather concerned still. As is your parents and... friends. So, with that in mind, the next year was- to put it mildly- going to be a busy year.

    What occurred first? (Pick One. May lock out others depending on event outcome.)
    [ ] Satsuki arranged a field trip under the idea that you need a break from all the thinking you've been doing over the Alflami matter.
    [ ] The Akogawa Clan (the sisters technically) scheduled a meeting with a (Minor) Samurai Clan. The Nasaki Clan
    [ ] The Akogawa sisters and your Mother arranged a meeting with a (Fudai) Samurai Clan. The Amari Clan
    [ ] Your parents (specifically your Mother) scheduled a meeting with a (Fudai) Samurai Clan. The Awaki Clan
    [ ] Your parents (specifically your Father) scheduled a meeting with a (Fudai) Samurai Clan. The Hiiro Clan
    [ ] The Ito Clan head suggested a meeting with a (Fudai) Samurai Clan, considered upon it reaching your Father's ear. Your Mother was a little less than pleased however. The Hisami Clan
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  15. Happerry

    Happerry The Song to the Flame

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2013
    Messages:
    3,159
    Likes Received:
    3,129
    [X] A group of Diviners.
    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[X] Half your personal stash (50%).
    [X] Satsuki arranged a field trip under the idea that you need a break from all the thinking you've been doing over the Alflami matter.
     
  16. backgroundnoise

    backgroundnoise "What the fuck penis?! I trusted you!"

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    597
    Likes Received:
    1,604
    [X] A group of Diviners.
    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    [ ] Half your personal stash (50%).
    ---[X] Break your piggybank open (100%). *Apparently we give the money to Satsuki and she spends what she thinks is prudent, since I sincerely doubt she'd waste our money on a couple of con artists, we may as well give her more room to work. I highly doubt she'll actually need to spend all our money.*
    [ ] Satsuki arranged a field trip under the idea that you need a break from all the thinking you've been doing over the Alflami matter.
    [X] The Akogawa Clan (the sisters technically) scheduled a meeting with a (Minor) Samurai Clan.
     
  17. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    [X] A group of Household Servants.

    Wait. A group of Household Servants managed to rent a Guild hall? Are we at the cusp of the creation of Unionize slavery?

    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[X] Half your personal stash (50%).

    [X] The Akogawa sisters and your Mother arranged a meeting with a (Fudai) Samurai Clan.

    I was actually going to go with the last option first, but...
     
  18. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    To the former, it's possible, just not very likely and has difficulty with things like expansion into other places. On its own anyways.

    No on the latter, though such a thing does exist in places.

    But?
     
  19. Adyen

    Adyen Experienced.

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    3,945
    Likes Received:
    2,730
    But it seemed like a good way to blow things up.
     
  20. Ceslas

    Ceslas Getting out there.

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] A group of Diviners.
    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[X] Break your piggybank open (100%).
    [X] Satsuki arranged a field trip under the idea that you need a break from all the thinking you've been doing over the Alflami matter.
     
  21. kinglugia

    kinglugia A Randy Avian

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    16,802
    Likes Received:
    19,040
    [X] A group of Diviners.
    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[X] Half your personal stash (50%).
    [X] Satsuki arranged a field trip under the idea that you need a break from all the thinking you've been doing over the Alflami matter.
     
  22. Wing101

    Wing101 I trust you know where the happy button is?

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Messages:
    760
    Likes Received:
    176
    [X] A group of Household Servants.

    Wait. A group of Household Servants managed to rent a Guild hall? Are we at the cusp of the creation of Unionize slavery?

    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[X] Half your personal stash (50%).

    [X] The Akogawa sisters and your Mother arranged a meeting with a (Fudai) Samurai Clan.
     
  23. Truthswraith

    Truthswraith Making the rounds.

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] A group of Diviners.
    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[X] Half your personal stash (50%).
    [X] The Akogawa Clan (the sisters technically) scheduled a meeting with a (Minor) Samurai Clan.
     
  24. backgroundnoise

    backgroundnoise "What the fuck penis?! I trusted you!"

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    597
    Likes Received:
    1,604
    Altered my vote based on new reasoning, apparently just because we pick 100 doesn't mean we actually spend that much. What we're really voting for is how much to give Satsuki to shop around with. Since I really don't want to limit her options with a tiny budget, I just said screw it and decided to give her the whole 'piggybank.'
     
  25. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Indeed, she is the only one you can turn to for aid on this matter. Better someone you can trust to at least some extent due professionalism and knowledge in the field. You can't ask your parents over this after all.

    For those worried about pilfering funds... she won't as it's pretty much poor form, rude, a breach of trust, and an insult to her Clan's honor. Mostly the last two.

    Asking for a pay raise includes actually earning/qualifying for it first... in one’s employer's eyes. So she has no reason to cheat you of your funds. That doesn't mean it won't run the risk/chance of all the funds (aka more than 75% if you go 100%) is used up.

    Oh and by the way, only you, your parents and your grandparents and Hanako are aware that Mari is a ninja maid. You think Shina might know, but keeps silent about it.

    And before anyone asks, yes, Shinobi do have their own (brand) of honor. Assassins on the other hand, vary widely.
     
  26. Malcolmo

    Malcolmo Insert custom title here

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2013
    Messages:
    2,412
    Likes Received:
    2,643
    [X] A group of Diviners.
    [X] Yes. How much of your stockpiled pocket money?
    ---[X] Half your personal stash (50%).
    [X] The Akogawa Clan (the sisters technically) scheduled a meeting with a (Minor) Samurai Clan.
     
  27. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Vote locked in case of last-last minute vote shift. This will be a little longer, due partially from adjusting something on (my) writing end that has nothing to do with the votes/etc.

     
  28. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Each of the petitions seem rather interesting, but you don’t have the leverage presently to entertain all of them. So you decide from them through process of elimination. City Elves, while nice to fulfill occupational needs, are far less useful in all practicalities due the problems of cultivating Lightning Magic. On the other hand, the Wolves are well, shouldn’t they secure ‘proper’ shelter first- their priorities seem a bit backwards. As for the Household group, well, they can wait if they truly care about their agenda. Given that, you decide to look into the matter on the group of Diviners.

    The Diviners apparently haven’t pitched a name for their little group, one mark against their petition and application. Second, the petition is a sort of excuse to shove their repeated application submissions- the total applications consists of around six hundred individual parties, out of that six hundred individual parties, only a dozen have remotely sufficient numbers and qualifications to actually qualify. In this particular instance, the group is actually one of the ‘screwed’ cases as it qualifies and is disqualified simultaneously.

    They have around a dozen ‘qualified’ core members, and depending on interpretation, around six dozen sufficiently qualified members. This count excludes those ‘in training’, apprentices, etc. Only three names stand out in particular to you, that is the Atsuki family consisting of Yuna and her parents- though you think one or two of the other names listed are other members of their family. That detail doesn’t weight into matters, a point exemplified by the simple fact that Atsuki-san has never brought the subject up in any sort form or way. She doesn’t have that right anyways.

    The problem with membership is due the usual comparison to Miko, which resultantly disqualifies all but the core dozen as counting towards the membership requirement. It’s a rather strange way of gauging and judging an occupation as a whole, despite the clear fact that they’re two different occupations with only slight overlap that would normally be be dismissed without a second thought. A strange stigma that you don’t really understand, though the name “Diviner” seems a bit of a hold-over from one interpretation of the original term and eventually formally adopted as it’s easier to translate across regions and sounds better in comparison to Miko.

    … Ok, that’s a petty squabble. But well, you really can’t do anything to immediately rectify it. Later, perhaps. In the meantime, you do have an option, though you’ll need to go through formal procedures- if for the sake of formalities- before ‘agreeing’ to anything. It’s why you’ve arranged a meeting between a representative of the group of Diviners and yourself later in the day. Depending on how they make their case and offers in exchange will affect the fate of their petition- permanently if you so choose to dismiss the matter outright.

    There’s little else in the papers that’s of much particular value to you that is of course, things that don’t pertain to merely formalities and pure schematics. Those are pretty much limited and affected by handling and resolution of the meeting and arrangements, thus entirely moot as is. You do note however, that the details do however, give some idea that they’re wanting to use it as a way to build some sort of influence or gather membership more effectively. It’s not specific enough though, but you suppose it’s enough to draw conclusions quickly enough once their meeting starts.

    Sighing, you shake your head, rubbing your forehead with your free hand as you place the papers down on the table. Honestly, the matter isn’t that convoluted, yet needs around five dozen pages. Sure it’s meticulously detailed, but that’s just to the point of being an utter pain.

    “Satsuki,” you call out to your maid, of whom steps into view at the entrance of the entryway and slides the door open quietly and efficiently. “I take it the matter you were handling has been resolved?”

    She proceeds to enter, stepping quickly into the room before closing the door behind her. Without delay, she turns and moves immediately next to you using Lightning Move. The ninja maid seems to frown, though you’re not sure as she proceeds to respond without dallying, “Somewhat, however, due… particular lack (of funds) the matter is progressing rather slowly. But with direction, it is progressing… on track.”

    By direction she’s probably referring to the short leave of absences recently to personally oversee it. It doesn’t exactly seem to be a problem of making sure the hirees are doing as told, but rather, a funding shortage issue. You’re not sure which way she’s going about that, but at least you’re sure she’s not doing anything on the side in that regard. “General status?”

    “The Order of the Scarlet Knights within the Kentaine family’s domains are not affiliated with Alflami, Aria,” Mari pauses for a moment before shaking her head. “No. To be precise, she does not appear to be remotely affiliated with the Order (at all).”

    You stare at Mari, and blink as you try to piece together certain implications of that, but not before a sound escapes your mouth, “... eh?”

    “Hai,” Mari nods as she continues. “The disconnect is being looked into, though it isn’t exactly clear if the connection between the Order’s Ignace Alflami and this Aria Alflami is truly as it appears or something else entirely. That is only one part of the complication.”

    “...’only one part’?” You frown but motion for her to continue. It’s already obvious from her words that there’s more than one ‘group’ involved as a result. How, why, but most importantly whom. An idea comes to mind, “... it’s the King of Aforza isn’t it?”

    “It would seem to be that way, however, due resource limitation and difficulty of a direct approach…,” Mari trails off as she sighs, “that part of the complication is at an impasse.”

    “That’s fine, prioritize safety,” you say, after all, unless one owns the direct loyalty of those performing the task or the Clan or group, the hirer is normally billed the cost of unexpected losses and the like. “Aside from the complications?”

    “There’s a somewhat unusual level of security around the matter of the Alflami family,” Mari’s face seems to darken for a moment as she continues, “An inconsistency to some extent, as papers and information within their residence confirms that Ignace Alflami has one daughter and three sons. The name doesn’t match his daughter and none of them have both violet hair and eyes.”

    matches the third daughter’s, however the details of her appearance… do not match up.
    You feign a stoic expression as you ponder over Mari’s statement. The unusual level of security… in other words, Ignace expected someone to poke their nose into the matter. Furthermore, the coloration not matching up… well, that’s a problem. Impersonation could be a possibility, however, without a person of ‘value’ it would contradict and thus fail to pass the check your parents had done. However-, “But?”

    “Her name matches that of the third daughter of Ferdinand Alflami. Of his four daughters, The whereabouts of the second and third daughters are unknown. However, it is confirmed that none of them have violet hair and eyes. Ferdinand Alflami also has one son, though his location is also unknown.” Mari pauses for a moment as if recalling a specific detail.

    “They’re… relatives?” the question escapes your mouth. Blinking, you shake your head as it’s a stupid question, instead, “No, rather, who’s actually in charge then?”

    “It would seem that Ignace Alflami presides over the Order of the Scarlet Knights in the official capacity as the Head of the Order. However, Ferdinand Alflami seems to be much more well respected instead, despite apparently holding no position.”

    “... huh?” That doesn’t make a lot of sense, but that’s if you ignore behind the scenes matters, politics, and more. Best not to make baseless assumptions. “Any information on it?”

    “Unfortunately, no. The details on the matter seems to be kept within the Order and is stated to be strictly forbidden for anyone to discuss it, by order of Ignace Alflami with support of the measure by the King of Aforza,” replies Mari as the edge of her lips shift downwards, as if unconsciously frowning, “An attempt has been tried, but was aborted before complications arose any suspecions or problems. An alternative method is being seeked out presently.”

    “That’s… problematic,” you sigh. Then again, it also just bleeds of skeletons in one’s closet. You just don’t have the means yet to deal with a potential mess from that, that and the funding you gave Satsuki to work with will only be enough to cover up to a point. “Anything else?”

    “There seems to have been some sort of concealed expenses dated around a month before the fall of the Kingdom of Reglis, however, for whom and what…I wasn’t able to discover it,” says Mari as she shakes her head. “Likewise, there seems to have been some transcripts between Ferdinand and the King of Reglis. However, the papers were too well guarded so it wasn’t possible to check them.”

    “Transcripts?” you repeat in curiousity.

    “Hai. From the few bits that could be made out from some of the papers at a safe distance, it seems to point to that possibility,” replies Mari. She shakes her head. “It seems to have been placed under heavy security and locked away by forces under the command of the King of Aforza, though from all appearances, it’s mixed in with a lot of miscellaneous things and other transcripts of little to no significance.”

    “Is that so…,” you bite your lip as you struggle to keep the frown from showing on your face.

    The Kingdom of Reglis had only fallen a few months prior before the envoy from the Order of the Scarlet Knights arrived, though surprisingly, the amount of confirmed casualties on Reglis’s side was rather low whereas the number of people missing was quite high. No, significant even if one believes the more… optimistic rumours. On the other hand, the more pessimistic ones wrote off the ‘missing people’ as having been wiped off the face of the land, somehow. Its lands were south of Aforza, with nearly equal distance to the border with the Yamagi Shogunate that Aforza had- not to mention the two were officially allied. One matter that comes to mind in relation to the current… mess of things is the fact that the Kingdom of Aforza sent no aid or assistance to Reglis.

    Of course, due to the mass disappearance of a noticeable fraction of the populace, combined with casualties from the ones that didn’t disappear, the province is effectively barely worth much. As a result, it hasn’t really recovered at all from it, and seems to be rather low on the priority list for the Alfanz Empire- that’s not to say that they don’t station at least a token garrison along the borders there, it just lacks enough manpower and any indicator of potential resistance or rebellion. The only one confirmed death was the King of Reglis, though there are also rumours that it’s a body double, fake, or the like. Most of them border on pure outright impossibilities though.

    “That’s all then I suppose?” you say, just to confirm. No need to accidently dismiss her before the debriefing is complete.

    Mari nods. “Hai.”

    “Well then, please shelf these papers for now,” you say, gesturing at the petition papers as you stand up. “I’ll be using them later.”

    “Hai, Master,” responds Mari as she makes a half bow, holding it until you pass by her, before proceeding to organize and shelve the petition papers like ordered.

    Well, now then, if you recall correctly there was to be a meeting with a (Minor) Clan of Samurai today. Maybe you can drop by the meeting if it hasn’t finished by now. Not that you were trying to avoid the meeting, you’re just not relevant enough presently unless formally required to be present- which you weren’t. With that in mind, you head off in search of the meeting.

    ---​

    You head down the empty corridors on your own, paying care to keep an ear out for others. A redundant action in hindsight, as the Akogawa sisters and one other comes into view. With Hanako taking the lead and Hinako lagging slightly behind, the third girl seems rather out of place in comparison, with with a straight laced serious air to her.

    All three of them notice you slightly after you did, well maybe excluding Hinako. Because Hinako is… Hinako and she just waves casually at you. The other girl however, immediately goes into a half bow, and holds it, her dark green ponytail swaying slightly in the process.

    “Kentaine-sama,” greets Hanako as she bows, though only a half bow, before immediately turning to the girl with dark green hair and brown eyes, “this is Nasaki, Eri, of the Nasaki Clan.”

    Eri nods once in affirmation before raising, “Nasaki, Eri, second daughter of the Nasaki Clan. It is an honor to meet you Kentaine-dono.”

    In other words, pure and sheer formalities. It just… bleeds, figuratively. You nod in turn and in tandem with the duo, to stare at Hinako. Of whom merely just shrugs and looks at the three of you as if you’re all being straight as an arrow. “Yes?”

    “Sister, announce yourself properly!” scolds Hanako, without puffing her cheeks at all, and a tone that approaches exaggerated seriousness.

    “Indeed Akogawa-dono,” says a nodding Eri, “it is quite rude to flagrantly disregard formalities towards your liege.”

    “Well, you heard them,” you say non-committally while shrugging.

    Immediately, Eri turns on her heel and stares at you, “Kentaine-dono, pardon this one’s rudeness but, this one understands that Kentaine-dono does not mind informality, but this extent is rather excessive. If it would suit Kentaine-dono’s fancy, please tell Akogawa-dono to keep it private and not do so when in public.”

    “Na-Nasaki-dono, there’s no need to scold Kentaine-sama,” retorts Hanako, her frowning face filled with slight annoyance, “Kentaine-sama, please forgive Nasaki-dono, she has no ill intentions-”

    You sigh and wave her off mid-sentence, “Nasaki-dono, I don’t suppose Akogawa-dono does it all the time when she’s around you?”

    “... yes,” says Eri as she nods, stressing her words with extra emphasis, “Yes, every. Single. Time. Unfailingly so.”

    Hinako tilts her head slightly and looks at you with her all so innocent ‘what did I do?’ expression. “Eeeeeeh?”

    “...,” Eri sighs and turns to face you once more. She bows apologetically, “(My) apologies. It appears Akogawa-dono knows no shame.”

    You motion for Hanako to act while concealing it through shrugging, “So it appears indeed.”

    “Why me~ What did I do?” comes the rapidly fading (from view and hearing) voice of Hinako as she’s dragged away by one loyal hound- or puppy.

    You shrug and shake your head, “My sympathies (for having to put up with her).”

    Straightening back up, Eri shakes her head, her ponytail swishing left and right as she does so. “It’s tolerable if only because Akogawa-dono (Hanako) is around as well to help stave off Akogawa-dono’s (Hinako) foolery. Though Ito-dono does a much finer job of it, I can see why Akogawa-dono (Hanako) looks up to her as an example.”

    “Oh?” You subconsciously grin at the (wonderful) revelation, “So you’re good friends with Akogawa-dono (Hanako) and Ito-dono (Shina)?”

    Eri pauses to consider the term for a moment, “…this one supposes one could call it that Kentaine-dono.”

    “Well then, let’s continue this discussion in a more, appropriate location,” you announce, motioning towards Eri, “is that acceptable Nasaki-dono?”

    “If Kentaine-dono so desires it,” replies Eri. (tl.: It’s not my place to comment on it.)

    “Then it’s decided,” you say, clapping your hands together for pointless emphasis, and proceed to turn and lead the way while motioning for her to take up positioning next to you, “come.”

    Eri nods, or so the sound of her hair’s movements imply, before quickly moving to and taking up position next to you as lead the way by a step ahead. After a few steps, she matches her pace to yours, though taking apparent care to leave sufficient sound in her steps for you to identify her presence by sound. “If Kentaine-dono is concerned about this one’s adherence to formalities, there is no need to worry. It is par norm for females of the Nasaki Clan.”

    .... that is precisely why you’re worried- or to be exact, annoyed. Even if the others roll with formality, they aren’t that extreme, or serious, about it. Then again, you haven’t exactly had much if any meetings with any Samurai who aren’t sufficiently affiliated with your Family and all other cases operate off a mix of you or your parent’s preferences depending on whom is present. As a result, well, this isn’t that bad. If anything the experience is a good change of pace- if it weren’t jarringly disorienting. “Everything in moderation.”

    “That is (indeed) sound advice Kentaine-dono,” says a nodding Eri, if apparently for emphasis, “it is rather unfortunate that Akogawa-dono (Hinako) refuses to adhere to such.”

    For the sake of relations, you nod instead of keeping a neutral appearance on the matter. You’re certain neither of the sisters will mind. “Yes, it would do her some good to learn (some more) restraint, though I would think she does so to make up for what others lack (due to their emphasis on formalities).”

    “For what others lack?” repeats Eri as if the thought never crossed her mind.

    “Indeed, though it would seem Akogawa-dono (Hinako) doesn’t quite care if others want her to do so for them or not,” you say as you come to a halt outside the doorway to the (smaller) audience room reserved for your private use.

    Without your prompting, the door slides open itself, revealing one Satsuki, Mari. “The items have been arranged as per Master’s orders.” She pauses for a moment. “Also, lady Alflami and the heir of the Ito Clan have both passed by a few minutes ago.”

    “I see,” you say nodding. “There is no need for lady Alflami’s presence (at the moment).” You pause for a moment as an idea clicks. “No, on second thought, I seem to recall the Akogawa duo being in need of… a third party. Please bring Ito-dono and lady Alflami to there then- after you bring Nasaki-dono’s friend (Hanako) over first.”

    You manage the implication of ‘Nasaki-dono’s friend’ being Hanako through rather simple, pre-arranged signaling. Though said signaling is more generalized for calling whomever is closest that is of your Personal Guard, which Hanako is the sole member of presently. The actions signaling it to Mari are ones that are relatively inconspicuous and one that she can’t mistaken for otherwise as you had her work it out with you, for your benefit. But no, Hanako is completely unaware of it as her behavior at times just makes such precision work… plain torture.

    “Hai, Master,” says Mari as she nods, before transitioning into a quick bow, “Excuse this one’s rudeness.”- and then stepping out of the room before quickly, but without rush, heading down the corridor before making a left and out of sight.

    Eri sighs and shakes her head a little, “I see…, so that’s what Kentaine-dono meant.”

    You merely raise an eyebrow. Well, at least she isn’t slow on the uptake once it’s been explained to her. Without pressing the matter further, you step into the room and make for your position at the far end of the room (from your current position). “Come, please enter.”

    “Understood, Kentaine-dono,” says Eri as she follows you in, though she stops far earlier than you (thought she would), apparently opting for sitting down in the middle of the room as opposed to at the table you have out in the room for your (informal) meetings.

    Taking your seat at ‘head’ of the table, and room, you consider both relevant information with regards to the Nasaki Clan in addition to what the discussion or conversation topics will be and how you’ll go about them.

    The Nasaki Clan is one of the non-aligned Minor Samurai Clans (not affiliated with a Major or Fudai Clan) of whom possess some degree of holdings, up to and including a domain. Though in the Nasaki Clan’s instance, they hold a domain that stretches by the domain shared (loaned in the case of the Ito Clan) by the Akogawa Clan and the Ito Clan and also is part of the Yamagi Shogunate-Alfanz Empire border, specifically the portion closer to where the Kingdom of Reglis (aka Province of Reglis) was. It’s an exceptional case as border domains are typically assigned to capable Clans, large ones, or in certain cases- particularly loyal Clans of whom have sworn their loyalty directly to the Yamagi Shogunate.

    It is almost unheard of for an non-aligned Minor Clan to hold such a domain as it poses a security risk. Though this can be potentially alleviated if the domain has sufficient resources, tax income and manpower, to offset it. But the Nasaki Clan’s domain has no cities and is comprised of primarily towns and villages. The Clan itself is nowhere near the strength of a Major Clan in numbers nor power, as such, it is an oddity. Which is why the Clan’s refusal to align with any party thus far is… rather jarring, though it also makes their agreement to the meeting fairly strange, if not downright contradictory. Why is a Clan that appears to value it’s independence meeting with larger Clan that is all but guaranteed to seek out their loyalty and service?

    As for the Clan itself, from what you do know, inheritance priority goes to the eldest male with a female sibling of a few years age difference at most. After that is the eldest daughter, then the female sibling of the eldest male. If none of them in particular are suitable candidates or qualify for inheriting the position of Clan head, then it’s decided by majority vote by the very disqualified candidates. Of course, the only ones that can be voted into being the Clan head then are the ones doing the voting. Though personally, you find the method and voting backup measure to be both convoluted and… stupid. You do recall that the eldest male is the elder twin of the second daughter, so in other words, Eri’s ‘Onii-sama’ if she stick to formalities with regards to him.

    Mentally sighing, you maintain a straight face. This is a serious matter, one of which you can probably influence (so you hope). So it’s best not to make any mistakes nor show any openings that would be detrimental to you and your Family.

    How do you proceed, method-wise?
    [ ] Discuss with her normally.
    [ ] Attempt to convince her to aid you (and be your friend, as a bonus).
    ---[ ] How do you go about convincing her?
    [ ] Attempt to charm her into aiding you (and being your friend as well too).
    ---[ ] How do you go about charming her?
    [ ] Some other way? (Write In.)

    What topics? (Pick 2. If you chose to ‘Discuss with her normally’, Pick 3 instead.)
    (Please organize them in the order which you want them brought up.)
    [ ] Ask about her brother. Due to how their succession/inheritance works, you’ll have to convince him most likely and not her. (Can be selected multiple times.)
    [ ] Discuss Politics in general with her. (Can be selected multiple times.)
    ---[ ] Anything in particular? (3 Sub-topics max)
    [ ] Ask about her opinion of and about nearby Clans… and then some. Or in more subtle terms, an alternative outlook on other Clans, and particularly her/her Clan’s views on them.
    [ ] Discuss about Diviners.
    ---[ ] And Miko too. (Optional, will decrease focus on Diviners.)
    [ ] Chat about the Akogawa sisters. (Can be selected twice.)
    ---[ ] And maybe others too? (Optional, will decrease focus on the Akogawa sisters unless that’s selected twice. This Option can only be selected once.)
    [ ] Focus efforts on convincing/charming her. (Requires ‘Attempt to convince’ or ‘Attempt to charm’. Can be selected twice.)
    [ ] Something else? (Write In.)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  29. Truthswraith

    Truthswraith Making the rounds.

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    [X] Attempt to charm her into aiding you (and being your friend as well too).
    [X] Chat about the Akogawa sisters. (Can be selected twice.)
    [X] Focus efforts on convincing/charming her. (Requires ‘Attempt to convince’ or ‘Attempt to charm’. Can be selected twice.)

    We shall become the charm.
     
  30. ReinZero

    ReinZero "Corruption is Magic!"

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2013
    Messages:
    4,973
    Likes Received:
    8,648
    Partial bump. But more seriously, I'm considering crossposting the quest on SB/SV due ... so few votes. Comments, Suggestions, Votes?