1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

2. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

I hope to find out more on the endings once I actually play it if they work.

The Chinese one is much cheaper.

3. Selias

Selias Well worn.

After finishing Bug Fables (amazing all the way through, only getting better as you get further into it; buy it if you haven't), I've gotten started on Metroid Dread.

I'll admit, I rage-quit after getting killed by the E.M.M.I. a few times. After an hour or two of reading fanfiction to cool down, I booted it back up to give it another try. Very good game, so far. While I still hate the E.M.M.I.s, there's one thing that really saves it, imo. Well, now that I'm writing this, let me make that two.
    First, the E.M.M.I.s are restricted to certain areas, rather than being able to follow you all over the map. That might change in future areas, but it's true for the ones I've reached so far. The second is related to the first, with that being that the game devs had the foresight (or added it after the game was test-played) to add a quick-save function specifically for the E.M.M.I. areas. So, when (not if, but when) you get killed, instead of being sent to your last save, you just get sent back to the door you entered the area from. Again, this really saves the game, in my opinion.

Fenrisfir and Derek58 like this.
  4. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

I finally gave Hob a first try after two years. Graphics and environments are excellent, gameplay is good, and the story is absolute fucking garbage. This game takes Pretentious Indie Minimalism to an entirely new level.

I only need three words to describe how bad Hob's story is: Simlish Without Subtitles.

Selias likes this.
  5. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Nah. E.M.M.I. are always restricted. Later you'll dash past a lot of them, no problem... unless you miss an upgrade and wind up searching an EMMI zone for an exit that doesn't exist. I did that. When I 'speedran' the game to get the bonus, I didn't even see them except for killing them and one that spawned right in my way. Go straight through with no hesitation and you can usually miss them completely- scripted encounters aside. That's for subsequent playthroughs though.

The auto-save is nice though, yes, for the first play through.

Fenrisfir and Selias like this.
  6. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Bug Fables, the bright and cheery game about bugs going on an adventure that takes a swan dive into horror near the end. The Giants Lair was so damn creepy

Selias likes this.
  7. Selias

Selias Well worn.

I really hope that the sequel (assuming they actually make one) explores the world outside of Bugaria. There's a lot of interesting background lore, and I want to see more of this world.

8. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

How does it stack up to Hollow Knight?

9. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Apples and Oranges. They both have wildly different themes and gameplay.

10. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

You're better off comparing it to Paper Mario (64 and TTYD), because that's what blatantly inspired it.

11. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

That makes sense. I've never played Paper Mario before though.

12. Jamesson Locke

Jamesson Locke Best Chunnibote

So I've been hearing rumours about a new Armoured Core ... Unfortunately with Soulsbourne overtones. Anyone else heard anything?

13. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

I only heard that there is talks of a new Armored Core. But nothing on the soulsbourne undertone. If there is anything that is worth bringing over from soulsborns is the item descriptions lore

14. ShogunTrooper

ShogunTrooper Launching Bees out of a Trebuchet

I think the "Soulsborne" part was added to the circulation of the rumor mill by one of these "X is the Dark Souls of Y" articles.

Or at least it wouldn't surprise me.

searcher8 likes this.
  15. Bear_Mint

It really wouldn't.

From Software can't do anything without it being compared to dark souls

searcher8 likes this.
  16. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

I want to kill the next white glint or nine ball again.

17. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

If you're rushing someone on diablo 2 be sure to listen to this song.

18. AllyDoodle

AllyDoodle Lewd Cthulhu

I find it fucking hilarious that in Doom Eternal most of the world has been taken over except for Australia.

I guess even the demons of Hell don't want to face our wildlife.

19. OverReactionGuy

Really? That's hilarious!

20. Bear_Mint

Australia is the Catachan of irl. :V

searcher8 and OverReactionGuy like this.
  21. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

In the next few days I’ll be starting Witcher 3, what do I need to know gameplay wise? I’m planing on watching either a walkthrough or a lore video for the other two games in the series so I know what’s going on in there.

if anyone knows of a good lore video, feel free to share.

22. ShogunTrooper

ShogunTrooper Launching Bees out of a Trebuchet

The Kings and Generals side-channel, Wizards and Warriors, made two lore videos on the Nilfgaardian Wars in the style of their historical battle series, which kinda happened before the Witcher games. If you know Kings and Generals, you know what to expect.

For more detailed lore, there is WitcherGeorge, whose channel is focused on the series, but I can't comment on his quality.

Derek58 and Velk like this.
  23. Selias

Selias Well worn.

One of my friends from work is a game reviewer and got a review copy of Pokemon Legends, so I got to hear a bit about it and see some gameplay footage. Definitely picking it up when it drops. It looks/sounds really fucking good.

EDIT: Now that I'm at my PC, let me give a few more details.
    First, this takes place in Sinnoh in the past, and you're creating the first Pokedex. Pokemon are mostly untamed, and people are (rightfully) afraid of them. It's not like the other games, where pretty much everyone at least has a pet Pokemon.

Instead of buying items, you either get them from side-quests, or (more often) craft them yourself. Don't worry, I asked him and he confirmed that Pokeballs are made out of Apricots.

Instead of being random encounters in tall grass, Pokemon are (mostly) visible on the map (he broke a rock to get crafting materials and a Geodude appeared, but apparently it had been shaking, so there was an indication that a Pokemon was there). When you're spotted by a wild Pokemon, they'll either attack you or run away.

The combat is turn-based.

Since the plot of the story (aside with some other stuff that he only hinted at, talking about giant "Alpha Pokemon" that have been driven crazy by something that you need to free/cure, not wanting to spoil it for me) is creating the Pokedex, you advance the game by gathering information on the Pokemon in the areas you currently have access to. This can be done multiple ways, allowing for different playstyles. Capturing Pokemon, battling them, spying on them, and probably some other stuff.

That's about it. Oh, and Shiny Pokemon look different on the map (I don't remember how), so it's a bit easier to find them.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  24. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

So, what I hear about Pokémon Legends Arceus is pretty much that the gameplay is great, but the graphics people have been incompetent and lazy.

25. OverReactionGuy

Yep, that's a pokemon game alright.

26. Bear_Mint

At this point, Pokemon games are just good for giving us new nintendo waifus

27. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

Yeah. I’ve heard basically the same. It’s the game we’ve been asking for for ages, but Twilight Princess to this day looks better than it does.

28. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

I can't help but feel like that's a little unfair, Twilight Princess has great graphics when compared to a couple of games on PC.

My PC at least. But yeah, PL:A looks more than a little like ass.

29. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

Like the Lady Dimitrescu-sized Gardevoir?

30. Bear_Mint

Gardevoir was always waifu in the waifumon community. Now Gardevoir also appeals to the big mommy fetishes too. :V

Jamesson Locke and doomlord9 like this.