1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

Oh, neat. I didn’t know they made a Scythe RTS game.

Maybe that’ll be enough for me to try RTSes again?

2. Aaron Fox

Aaron Fox That Crazy/Not-Crazy Guy

Actually, if you played Company of Heroes 2, then you easily play this game. The mechanics are that similar. All you really have to worry about is that the pathfinding is a wee bit wonky for some of the mechs right now but the staff are working on it as we speak.

3. Tsuzurao

Tsuzurao Experienced.

Not what I remember seeing in discussions. Dante's motorbike weapon (Cavaliere) seems to be a standard weapon in-game. The Deluxe Edition includes a variant version of Cavaliere (the revised version having a colour scheme closer to Dante's signature colours). I'm sure things would have blown up loud if anything had stated that standard Cavaliere was a Deluxe-exclusive.

Never been one to play the Devil May Cry series in the first place, and DMC5 is not coming out on a console that I have anyway, but I'm still looking into things occasionally because I have friends who are fans of the series.

At any rate, while I can understand that people are opposed to microtransations, I've never been able to agree with people who feel 'if MTX are in at all, then I will absolutely never buy the game'. It just feels like denying yourself over something that you know the company isn't going to go back on for that particular game.

The first time I remember having this issue come up was when I remember someone (it might have even been you, but I can't remember) talking about how Bravely Default falls right into what sort of thing they'd want for a JRPG, but they'll regretfully never buy it because of MTX, regardless of any reassurance that the one MTX mechanic in the game is just to speed up recovering an emergency resource that you can normally replenish just by leaving the 3DS in Sleep Mode overnight.

Discussions I've heard are saying that the microtransations are for purchasing extra Red Orbs... but that the game's balance for orb use is akin to DMC4-SE. Basically, the game should be balanced such that you won't need to resort to paying to get Red Orbs, but the option is there if you want to load up early.

Nanimani and awesomecow like this.
  4. BrokenAscendent

BrokenAscendent Filthy Heretic Moderator

Please understand, this is me voting with my wallet, its the only way to get to companies at all.

5. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Blame EA games for that.

Your wallet won't leave a big impact though, so your protest is in vain.

-edit-

I should know. I stopped buying EA games and they are still going strong despite being voted the worse company ever for like 2 times in a row.

Sol Mark-1, wayne82444 and Deathwings like this.
  6. BrokenAscendent

BrokenAscendent Filthy Heretic Moderator

You underestimate my power.

7. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Am I the only one who hates the abbreviation MTX? I despise it so much because it feels like something corporations are trying to use as a cutsey nickname for microtransactions, as if they are trying to say "Fuck you, we'll never give up our precious microtransactions!" to gamers. Which is a massive problem, because microtransactions that try to turn full price (or higher) games into free to play games are already strangling the gaming industry. It is one of the major reasons why the "I'll never buy a game with microtransactions in it" movement came around in the first place. I mean we are already expected to buy the game ($60-100), buy multiple DLC for it ($5-20 each), and still not get everything in it (preorder bonuses, console/PC exclusives), and now they want us to pay for microtransactions as well? I mean on occasion they are done ok, and they really do only speed up things you can already get. Most often they are done in ways that make it so the game itself is significantly slowed down if you don't shell out extra cash for this in game resource that you have to grind for as punishment for only paying $150 for the game and the DLC.

I wish voting with your wallet actually worked. The problem is you have so many people who will buy the game out of series loyalty, out of developer loyalty, or just because they think this one will be different. It makes it so people who genuinely hate the way recent games are becoming nothing but giant cash grabs really have no way to protest it, because even not buying the game means nothing. To give you an idea how bad this is, I have personally boycotted buying new game systems, because I know there won't be enough games on them that I am willing to buy to be worth my money. And as is the only thing I really feel I am missing out on from everything I have heard is Breath of the Wild.

Teln and korat56 like this.
  8. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

The only new game system I'll buy is the nintendo switch. Because it's an awesome system and has a lot of games that I want to play. Likely won't buy the next nintendo system though depending on how it's handled.

9. Aleph

Aleph Experienced.

The problem is that you’re no longer the target audience for these kinds of games. At best, you were going to spend $60 or so on the game, once. Compare that to someone willing to spend potentially thousands of dollars as a steady stream of income. You only matter insofar as you give the Whales somebody to interact with.

10. Aaron Fox

This, by god this. Capitalism as it is now is the worst that humanity can offer and is walking right into Marx's predictions just by being around...

Teln, Aleph and wayne82444 like this.
  11. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

And see, that right there is the problem- video game publishers are making entire games targeted at less than 1% of all gamers. And I'm not talking about shitty free to play mobile games, I mean big triple A games. Which are then slowly being turned into shitty free to play mobile games that require their player base to cough up a couple hundred dollars to even start since they aren't even free anymore. Which is literally the only thing free to play games have going for them.

This is why I don't own any current gen consoles, and mostly buy old games for PC. I'll occasionally buy some non-F2P indie game that is in early access, but those have their own problems.

12. MinorGryph

MinorGryph Not too sore, are you?

It's 2018 and the steam client still fails to boot up properly half the time. But thanks to humble bundles 90% of my game library is tied to this POS platform...

13. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

[​IMG]

Why

14. Aaron Fox

Because Locke and Hobbes are far more right than we would ever admit with our souls... sadly enough...

15. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Because people are stupid.

16. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

Moving on from the doom and gloom that is modern gaming and micro-transaction's Onimusha is getting re-released, I don't even want a remake (look what they did to RE2remake) or a new game in the series (any resident evil after CV) i am just happy that a new generation that never had the chance to play these great game's now have the chance.

So far it's only warlord's i hope the others come soon.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Sol Mark-1 likes this.
  17. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

I see you haven't played RE7.

18. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

I'm not a fan it's a step in the right direction but it needs a lot more to get me to buy a resident evil game again, And Re2 remake killed any chance of that happening.

19. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

What about it is worse than RE1?

20. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

It's a matter of taste but the puzzles are not as good and im not a fan of the story, A lot the the game seems to be made to cash in on the the you-tuber let's play crowed for free advertising. And don't get me started on the choice of who gets the antidote, You chose the one who was actually helpful and not annoying to bad she is now dead. I do like the reference to clock-tower with the scissor chainsaw though.

21. Lady Vanatos

Lady Vanatos Cancer of Society

22. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

Who ever is playing that cannot aim at all, Same with most sneak peak's we see of this game. It does not make the game seem scary it make's watchers annoyed.

23. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Gameplay-wise it doesn't look too bad. Definitely gonna turn up the brightness tho. I've seen another demo with Leon where he had a targeting reticle so it looks like whoever was playing made the mistake of not having it on.

24. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Ok, so you weren't paying attention and are of the "everything new is shiiiiiit" crowd. Gotcha.

25. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

Ok and you are of the "everything old is shiiiiit" crowd. Gotcha. lets just agree to disagree and not disregard others tast's as bad OK.

26. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

No actually, I just find Silent Hill to be the better game in every way to the first resident evil. Had more proper horror, wasn't super point and clicky(referring to the puzzle logic)felt more survival horror focused, and you didn't have to fight the camera and the perspective when playing.

RE7 was far more like Silent Hill than it was Resident Evil. It had very few jumpscares(needed for the youtube bait shit), had puzzles that made sense, and the MC had some actual character. While the ending and the "branching" story could have used a major rework, it was still one of the best survival horror games released in the past decade. The RE2 remake looks like a halfway point between RE7 and RE4, which could actually work for the series. RE7, from original promotional materials, was a way worse game than it actually is.

Also Code Veronica was the absolute worst game in the entire series bar RE5 and RE6.

27. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

Bleggghh. Holy shit marathon sessions suck when you weren't planning to have them.

So this weekend I decided I was finally going to finish beating Trails of Cold Steel 2, which I've been playing on and off again since February and put down for a while because of other games coming onto my radar like Spiderman and a couple of Super Robot Wars games and stuff. Last night I got as far as the big evil-looking demon castle which JRPG convention says is obviously the final dungeon, and it is... of that chapter. Because it turns out that Cold Steel 2 has not one but two epilogue chapters with another 5-10 hours of gameplay left even after the credits roll. Which, on the one hand, is great because the credits roll right after the plot drops a Luke I Am Your Father plot twist outta nowhere and there's a lot of stuff that still needs to be wrapped up to make a satisfying conclusion, but on the other hand it means I wound up spending the better part of the whole weekend beating the shit out of this game and now I've got brain aches from staring at my computer for two days straight. If Kingdom Hearts 2 has the longest tutorial in history then Cold Steel 2 definitely has the longest ending.

Now hurry up and finish localizing Cold Steel 3 and 4 Falcom, I wanna do this all over again.

korat56, Sol Mark-1 and Derek58 like this.
  28. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

Smuthunter likes this.
  29. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Aw crap.

At this point, I hope this doesn't affect Idea Factory International. There are some games from Compile Heart I want here, dammit! Having to wait for PC version would suck.

30. Smuthunter

Smuthunter Begone Thot!

So Nintendo put out the last Smash Direct revealing the last two characters in the roster, unfortunately neither of them were characters I wanted.

Ken is in as an echo fighter of Ryu and Inceneroar joins the list of playable pokemon.

There's also a new thing called Spirits which blows the gate open to include hundreds of support characters who you can "equip" to a fighter to adjust their abilities. Vulpix's support spirit lets you start a match with a fire flower equipped for example, and there are other modifiers like enhancing your throw distance or jump height and so on. This is the basis of the new Adventure Mode, which is called World of Light and looks rad as hell.

Still really disappointed that Shantae or Pyra and Mythra didn't make it into the game, and since they're all confirmed as Spirits they probably won't be DLC either.

To any Smash discussion, please avoid spoilers outside of spoiler tags for at least the next 24 hours in case of stragglers who may have missed the direct.

Sol Mark-1 and John At Dawn like this.