1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. John At Dawn

John At Dawn Seeker of Answers

>Issac is still an assist
    >But FUCKING PIRANHA PLANT

”All around me are familiar faces...”

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Sol Mark-1 and Smuthunter like this.
  2. DeathShade

DeathShade Dol Amroth Comes

Soooo. Warcraft 3 is getting remastered.
    This is a thing.

3. CptTagon

CptTagon Prolific Writer

And far, far more importantly, Epic Battle Fantasy 5 is at 99% completion. I'm almost drooling in anticipation here.

Sol Mark-1 and Evillevi like this.
  4. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Drak4806 and Sol Mark-1 like this.
  5. Lady Vanatos

Lady Vanatos Cancer of Society

I'm legitimately surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

6. OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Got to love how Kirby is like, "Sigh, it's Tuesday again" xD.

Deathwings, Melmar and Lady Vanatos like this.
  7. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Kirby: "Why am I always the one who has to rescue the others ? Oh right, because Sakurai. Give me break from time to time too boss."

8. BigBoom550

BigBoom550 Relentlessly Hedonistic

Lol. It's because Kirby's origins are silly.

Back when the first Kirby game was being created, Kirby wasn't a thing. So instead of fully drawing the MC for the game, they just put a placeholder pink blob. Over the course of development, the crew fell in love with the pink blob, fully drawing it out and giving it a name- Kirby- and a personality.

Kirby is the one character that they really consider 'Nintendo', as unlike any other character, Kirby was an effort on the part of the entire team and not shaped by technical limitations like Link and Mario were.

9. Dakkaface

Dakkaface Magical Defender of Justice

I fucking lol'd at the dramatizing of Kirby crashing the star and skidding along the ground just like did in Castle Deedee back on the old grey brick.

10. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

... That looks like an actually good and dynamic single player. Awesome.

11. Lady Vanatos

For any Spyro fans:

Sol Mark-1, Melmar and Imabot like this.
  12. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

It really is a shame only part of the game is on the disk, You need to download the rest.

Lady Vanatos likes this.
  13. Lady Vanatos

True but I'm just glad we're getting them in general. So I'm fine with that for the most part.

14. BigBoom550

BigBoom550 Relentlessly Hedonistic

Anyways, having now owned all three consoles from this round, lemme share me thinkies:

PS4 and One: Interface differences. Controller differences. Realistically, there's nothing but exclusives they bring to the table. I do not see any reason aside from exclusives to not just build my own decent computer and get a freakin' controller. Especially with the PS4, which has massive interface issues, and the Xbox one's interfaces just keep getting weird. Hardly know where anything is on either.

I mean, let's budget this out. An XBOS is 500 USD. Let's say you get two games at retail price with it- 120 USD- and an additional controller- 60 USD. That's 780 USD for a console. Now, a decent 'work' computer cost 260~ going by front-page results on Amazon for 'computer'. That's a computer that'll do things like browsing, excel, powerpoint, yadda yadda. All in all, we're talking a total of 1040 USD for a console and a computer. JUST the computer, it's another 100~ for the monitor, so 1140. We'll round it off to 1200 (The Comp price also includes Keyboard/mouse).

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Hzwrxr/excellent-amd-gaming-build

1165 USD, and you don't have to get up to go from Excel to Crysis.

This is why Nintendo maintains their market and Sony/Microsoft are flagging somewhat, because:

Switch: Nintendo knows what the fuck they're doing. Not superb graphics, but it doesn't try to promise that. Battery life isn't superb on the main unit, but it's sold as a console with an extra 'handheld mode', so I'm not complaining. That said, the motion controls take some getting used to and are fortunately mostly optional for games, screen's nice and large. The grip is *weird* though, and takes a *lot* of getting used to the Joy-Cons.

I've had a tiny bit of trouble with the dock and charging, but that's about it. It does tend to get a bit toasty at times though, under heavy load, but it's 'huh, kinda warm', not 'searing hot'.

I've said this before, but Nintendo goes out of their way to go 'what can we do that sets our device apart from standard PCs?'. The Wii? Motion controls. The DS? Touch screen. The Wii U? Screen in the controller. (not their greatest idea, but hey, unique). It's a consistent effort to make it something worth the purchase- plus it's 200 bucks cheaper than the XBOS, contains all you need apart from the game, and isn't a goddamn PC.

15. korat56

korat56 Well worn.

Now if only they would stop following the other two into destruction no we don't want to pay to play online, And no we dont want DLC we have seen were that leads, Now just fire tree-house and stop bowing down to the censorship mob (RIP mr game and watch feather) and there perfect.

Sol Mark-1 and wayne82444 like this.
  16. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Explicitly sold as a premium option. That's the equivalent of getting a high end GPU for a PC so you can play ultra settings at 1440p, so 1070/vega56 level.

The One S costs $300 and comes with a game. So now that 120$ nets you 3 games total, then 60$ for an extra controller you will never use because local multiplayer is dead, so the total cost is around 480$ for the console. Then ~360$ for a work computer puts total cost to 840$. For a gaming computer you'd need to buy games anyway, so we can subtract that 120$(since it's spent on both configs) and you end up at 720$. The xbox is also a blueray player.

wayne82444 likes this.
  17. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

You left out that for that Gaming computer you still need to buy the $60 controller to use based on this:
    Then add to that the computer doesn't come with a controller, so if you want a 2nd for local multiplayer that is another $60. So take the 2 controller costs out of the PC as well and that drops it further to $600.

It gets worse when you consider there is no reason why buying a console would force you to replace your current computer, so that $360 would come out leaving a $240 budget for the computer itself. Which isn't even enough for a decent work computer based on BigBoom's post, meaning unless you need to replace your computer anyway you are likely better off just buying the console.

18. aquinas

aquinas I trust you know where the happy button is?

Logitech F310, 20 bucks, perfectly serviceable, so 40 bucks for two, and the lifespan of a PC and the length of a console generation are both 3-8 years, so, while there might be a mismatch on time, that money's going to be spent anyway.

Dakkaface likes this.
  19. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

A basic X360 controller with a USB cord is only $15 at Newegg. I got mine almost seven years ago, with all of the other parts that became my current PC, and it still does everything I need it to.

Granted, I don't actually game as much as I once did and the controller often sits there unused for months at a time, but I always reach for it when I start playing something that isn't a strategy, sim, or top-down Diablo-style ARPG.

/reminds self to finally finish AC Black Flag and break open FFX HD and Okami HD

Deathwings and Dakkaface like this.
  20. Lucky-38

Lucky-38 On the house.

My gaming computer cost me 750 dollars and has run every game I put it up against for the past 4 years. And then when I upgrade, I won't need to spend another 750, I'll just buy one or two better parts and put them in.

Smuthunter and Dakkaface like this.
  21. aquinas

That's actually a good point. When people try to sell others on consoles, most of the time they're acting like you need a pair of 1080's to get anywhere. You can spend 4 Grand on an insane monster that runs everything at 120Hz 4K, or you can spend 500 bucks and run a generation behind comfortably.

PC is a broad category and hard numbers for it are wibbly at best.

22. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

For 500$, you don't run a generation behind, you run the same AAA games as the gaming PC or the console, if perhaps not at as high resolution as the gaming PC (tho still likely above the consoles). This is particularly true if you buy or upgrade a year or two after the console generation came out.
    Heck, you might still be able to keep up with the next console generation at mid or low settings, and especially so with a slight upgrade, and with the system requirements of games rarely if ever jumping up before the next generation of consoles, that's 3~8 more years of gaming the latest games.

As for the rest of the conversation, a large chunk of the PC and involved setup, you can reuse. Now, with a console, you'll still be reusing that TV and sound system, but with the PC, all peripherals and even a large chunk of the box itself, you'll be reusing. Case? Same, power source? Same, whatever-player and the like? Same, even hard drives you can reuse.
    Now, processor/Ram/videocard you'll still need to buy, but that still means between a quarter to a third of the cost is waived by the parts of your PC from 3 console generations ago.

Controllers? If you want to be a cheapskate, 5$ or less will net you an USB adapter for you to use any old controller you have around, be it console or PC, all the way back to the Atari era.

awesomecow, Dakkaface and aquinas like this.
  23. aquinas

I think we are in agreement, for some reason :)

24. BrokenAscendent

BrokenAscendent Filthy Heretic Moderator

A neat thing is that if you wait, for when intel/whatever company releases a bunch of new hardware, the old stuff gets cheaper.

25. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Not when it's intel. AMD yes, intel and nvidia no.

Also, ram and storage prices are through the roof right now. So a new gaming system will cost roughly 800$ for entry level specs w/ 16 gigs of ram and a 256 SSD OS drive.

Dakkaface likes this.
  26. Dakkaface

The Logitech F310 controller is 15 bucks, dude. Why would you pay $60?

Oh, you beat me to it.

Eh - I built my current rig for about $650, but then I already had an SSD and was just getting the mobo/processor/GPU/RAM with a new power supply. All the parts I bought new were less than a year old.

27. aabbcc

aabbcc Well worn.

Nah, most stuff "last year" is usually cheaper, and drastically drops down the further you go.

For 800$, you're not getting 'entry level', you're comfortably landing on the middle ranges for this year's models.

aquinas likes this.
  28. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Only used.

Entry level GPUs start at 100$. Mid range is over 200$ but less than 400$.

Case, monitor, peripherals.

29. wayne82444

wayne82444 Experienced.

Since this keeps getting brought up let me point something out:
    $60 isn't a number I pulled out of my ass. It is what BigBoom (the person who was originally budgeting a gaming PCs cost) used for his post. I was quoting that number for convenience, along with the idea that it would be an official Microsoft controller or whatever for those who care about that.

30. Dakkaface

Because that's what a standard Xbox One controller retails for. You might get it as low as $40 on Amazon, but it's still MSRP $60, and that's what Gamestop or Wal-mart will charge. The F310 is essentially the standard PC controller and retails for $25, though it is often cheaper than that even at retailers.

Why would you buy a Microsoft specific controller when you don't have to?

aquinas likes this.