1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. SwiftRosenthal

SwiftRosenthal Connoisseur.

I called it a night after beating the third non-EMMI boss. My death count so far is... probably closer to 200 than 100. I stopped counting during EMMI 2. The last part of EMMI 4 was so bad that I reached Super Meat Boy levels of deaths per minute at one point.

Non-EMMI boss 2 was also bad, taking about 6-10 tries - but part of that was because the continue spot had me at only 95 health and I had to figure out how to farm the nearby mobs properly before I could enter the fight against at full. Non-EMMI boss 3 was my best fight so far and "only" took three tries.

My first run of Fusion, back in 03-04ish, walled me at Serris, Yakuza, the final SA-X chase, Nettori, Nightmare, and the SA-X battle. (Now I can reliably get deathless 100% in under two hours.) ZM's hard mode is worthy of the name and I'm fairly sure I've still beaten Mother Brain (which is already hard in Normal just because of the arena), if not the rest of the game after Tourian. Dread, so far, is hard enough to make Boost Guardian look easy.

Structurally, this is actually reminding me a lot of Super Metroid Ascent, but without Ascent's (fortunately clearly-marked) points of no return. That was a good romhack.

vyor, Velk and Derek58 like this.
  2. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Man, this game makes it feel like way more time is passing than actually is, in a good way.

"Jeez, I must've been playing for hours." *checks clock* "What? One hour? How?"

Also: What I Love about Metroid games.

*acquire Morph Ball*

"Yay! I dunno where my next destination is, but lets go back to the first area and dig up anything I missed with my shiny new upgrade!"

*stumbles on the Varia Suit... probably what was needed next*

I just... randomly picked the right area to investigate. I didn't even suspect I'd find the next necessary upgrade there, just more missile packs and what the red triangle was (teleporter.)

I'll take it!

"Even at full power you wouldn't be able to hurt these things. Accept your Helplessness."
    "Nu! You aren't my real dad!"

Seriously though, fuck you Adam. I bet he's wrong, too. Chozo Warrior dude is probably using it as a training opportunity, probably give us the upgrade that lets us damage them any time and then let the last one loose to wander wherever it wants to hunt us down.

Also: On the second one, realized what these things giving us the Omega Cannon are. Should've figured it out on the first one, when they used those silly-looking rings. Probably early-version or lesser model Mother Brain.

In fact, I bet the last EMMI winds up wearing it so you can't use it against the thing.

3. SwiftRosenthal

That design seems to be deliberate. I tried to backtrack for pickups a few times and the map didn't seem to actually open up enough to allow it until after EMMI 4. (Then I got lost for a few minutes because I had to figure out where the game expected me to be, go there, and then do the most obvious thing nearby to advance.)

4. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Well, I seem to be stuck. I'm in Dairon, trying to find the second power generator, which I presume you can get to from the EMMI Zone entry right after the nav room where Adam mentions it, but everywhere I go in there seems to be a dead end. Explosive block, speed block, etc. Did find the dark area with the giant possibly-not-dead thing, but it only leads to a morph ball device I think requires bombs. Everywhere else? Dead end. Usually literally when the EMMI catches up with me. I found a spot I thought might let me con it into charging through a wall, but that didn't work.

And all the other possible paths backtracking seem to require morph ball bombs.

I suspect I'm missing a breakable wall somewhere in the EMMI zone, but with that thing hunting you it's hard to check.

5. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Finished Dairon, minus future sweeps for pickups. Going to take a break for the rest of the night and probably for tomorrow.

I think I know where you need to go, if you want a hint.

6. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Fire away.

Velk likes this.
  7. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Sent you a PM, let me know if I misunderstood what you meant by monster or if one of my upgrades is effecting the map on my end.

8. SwiftRosenthal

I'm dealing with the sixth EMMI right now, so I think I'm the farthest ahead of anyone here.
    Stay in Dairon.

Start at the Network Station. Enter the EMMI zone and make your way as far NW as possible. There are two possible exits in that direction and I don't remember which one was open at the time. This will take you to the NW part of the map.

Bombs, the area map, and the next power station are all in that section.

9. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I think you have the bombs, which lets you go the way you suggested.

Been up there too- the dark area has me stuck as well, which I'm guessing is the way? It dead-ends at a purple morph-ball device of some kind, and none of the walls want to give up their secrets.

Velk likes this.
  10. SwiftRosenthal

Did you find the recharge station in the NW? The map room is behind the NW exit of that room. The bombs are found behind the NE exit.

Continuing through the map room, and following that set of rooms counterclockwise, will take you to the power station.

11. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

I got it. Turned out I needed the Diffusion Beam first- I mistook the fall-blocks into the boss room for bomb blocks and didn't bother actually rolling over them. I'm all the way up to having the Speed Booster now.

12. SwiftRosenthal

I'm not paying much attention to the precise progression, and won't look up any maps until I've seen that mission clear screen, so I'm not surprised that I missed a step.

13. Deathwings

Deathwings Questionable French Guy

Got you beat, I just finished the game half an hour ago with 100% items.
    Took 12 and a half hour total.

Holy crap the last boss is fucking hard.

I am NOT touching Hard Mode, fuck that.

14. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

Whee, Metroid Dread complete. That was a good damn game. The bosses were probably my favorite part. They were pretty great. The true hardest enemy in the game is the Speed Booster puzzles tho. :V

15. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

Noita is garbage, jesus fuck. It has reminded me why I will never, ever, ever buy a rougelite that isn't an FPS game.

Evillevi and Velk like this.
  16. Deathwings

Finally getting them right feels good though, right ? Like, that one near the entrance of Feneria, where you need to bounce from a wall and then immediately perform a long speed boosted slide was just slick, you know ?

Melmar likes this.
  17. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

What's the matter with Noita?

18. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

The RNG is garbage, easily the worst I've ever seen.

Most games of its type start you off with a set loadout, so you can at least start off decently. Not Noita. No, with Noita your starting equipment is random too. Meaning you can start with a decent loadout, a fast firing low damage wand and bombs as an example... or you can get a wand that takes a second to fire and does 3 damage a hit(meaning even in the first area there are mobs that take 3-5 hits to kill) and a firebolt wand(a limited use fire explosive that barely digs through rock and, oh ya, can light you on fire).

Meaning you can start from a position that is unwinnable, esp if there aren't any good wands in the map(also random).

Velk likes this.
  19. Melmar

It's pretty great. Probably would've been easier if my controller didn't make Samus crouch at random.

I kinda want to see a Fusion remake now just to see what they'd do with it. It's not like they don't have assets for the X parasites.

Velk likes this.
  20. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Home stretch to Hanubia!

21. SwiftRosenthal

I ended today's session after beating EMMI 6. The battery was down to 1% by the time I saved.
    Is that the one in the NW or the SW? I got the SW one after finally figuring out how this game wants me to midair shinespark (can't press up to break the spin like in Fusion or ZM, have to shoot instead), but the NW one is just taunting me. Even with cross bombs to bridge the gap, I still can't get to the boost spot in time, or even reliably. Hopefully wave beam is the missing puzzle piece and it's not just about gitting gud.

22. Deathwings

The NW one. You have to start your run from the tram station close enough to the door so it doeasn't close itself. Once you get inside the building, you need to jump over a gap, jump again to bounce against the oncoming wall and then immediately enter a slide once you hit the next platform. Keep pressing down on L2 until you emerge in the next room in Morph Ball form then press down, backtrack to the Bomb Blocks, destroy them, then shinespark straight up.

23. SwiftRosenthal

I'm starting in the room to the right, pressing down approximately below the beam blocks, space jumping up, shooting the blocks while running (and usually missing the farthest one, but wave beam should solve that), and trying to cross bomb across the pitfall before the charge runs out. Are you saying I have to wall jump and then slide while space boosting, only stopping to charge in the small room on the top-left?

24. Deathwings

So, the thing is, Shoot Block get obliterated by the Speed Boost, so you don't need to shoot them, you can perform a slide right through them. Speed Sliding is also fast enough that you can slide over Crumbling Block before they disappear, so you don't actually need the Cross Bomb to resolve that puzzle.

So yeah, start from the tramways' room on the left, wall jump, slide all the way to the left (you need to keep pressing on L2 or she'll stop midway and lose the Speed Boost) until you reach the small dead end room, press down to charge up and then hurry back up to the Bomb Blocks to destroy them so you can trigger Shinespark.

If you still can't visualize what I mean, well, IGN has a video on how to do it. It's the even the first puzzle on it.

25. SwiftRosenthal

So, just to be clear, I space boost to the upper platform and into the wall, wall-jump off of it to reverse direction (space jump doesn't prevent wall jumping in this game? It always used to) and then hold L2 for the slide boost? The boost will keep going after I land back on the upper platform? If so, that's different from previous games too.

26. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Megalomaniacal Toaster on a Keyboard

Watching people pull them off flawlessly is such a treat though

It's fun watching Samus bounce off walls at high speeds like a pinball from hell all for... a measly +2 missiles

Whoo!

27. SwiftRosenthal

Frame-perfect timing should never be required for 100% outside of romhacks. I gave up on the NW Ferenia tank, continued on, and am now (trying) to clean up Burenia. I've figured out the theory of how to get to... whatever is on the other side of this speed wall... in the Really Really Hidden room, but I just don't have the timing needed to do even the first step consistently. If I get to the fourth room in the speed course, chances are I've let go of the run button (WHY DID THEY BRING BACK THE RUN BUTTON :mad:) and unwittingly fail before the slide. The laser course in the space pirate mothership at the end of ZM was less bullshit than this and I straight-up hate it. It's bad enough that I'm contemplating never playing Dread again.

I haven't even touched on the NW Artaria or Hurania shinesparks yet.

Velk likes this.
  28. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Stuck in Hurania. Can't find where to go after the elevator despite having the Block Finder as I call it, stuck in the initial chunk of the map. Help please?

29. Melmar

I think you have to take the tram from the G area to actually progress.

Velk likes this.
  30. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.