Chapter 1123
Malcolm Tent
Monkey with a typewriter.
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2020
- Messages
- 8,626
- Likes received
- 521,195
The next morning we were up and ready by six AM. After stockpiling my scrolls (ten now, which was a lot more pleasing to look at than nine) we headed for the training hall to meet up with everyone for our training camp.
When I arrived, I was excited to get started. The energy was flooding through my body, wings tucked behind my back and horns curling on my head. Abaddon and Sammael seemed like the best possible combo going into this little assessment. Raw unfiltered physical power was easily the most useful application of my powers for frontal combat.
Of course, I might have been assuming that I'd be engaging in frontal combat, but in my experience, Ascendant training usually involved hitting things with a big stick.
When we arrived, we found my parents and Zeke lined up at the edge of the room, standing outside the perimeter of some kind of huge complicated obstacle course they appeared to have built from scratch. Towers, bridges, spinning logs, blades, ropes, it was all in constant motion and all of it was set up with the same suppression mechanism I remembered from training equipment back on Callus in our early days.
My friends had all arrived, gathered opposite my folks and all looking ready to work out. Close cropped pants and sleeveless shorts, the occasional pair of shorts or compression tee, everyone was in their workout best, and they were mostly warming up to get started.
Bethy was flitting back and forth, shadow boxing so fast she was almost teleporting. Benny was doing pushups while Randall sprawled on his back, sleeping and so big he was about to fall off. Jessie was jumping rope, Abel was sparring with Dante, and everyone else was paired or grouped off chattering excitedly about what was coming.
As soon as we arrived, all motion stopped, and I rolled my eyes at the silence. "You all just HAD to show up even earlier than we did, huh? I made a point to come in well before go time, and you STILL made me look bad."
"Shane, you're here!" Bethy cheered. "This is gonna be so fun. We're gonna get in shape. Get fit or get bit, WHOO!"
"Honey, you can't bite anyone who slacks," Chelsea said gently. "We discussed this. Mindnumbing agony is not a motivational tool, no matter what your dad says. We use verbal encouragement and positive verbal messaging. Torture is low down the list."
Bethy pouted. "I wasn't going to SNACK on anyone. Just a nibble. It's not even real agony. Just a twinge of discomfort. Like a shot. Or two shots. In the neck. That inject liquid fire directly into your veins. Daddy says it's important to set realistic expectations. I don't want to hurt any friends, but if you hold back during training it can get people killed in real life."
"That's a valid concern," my mom says as she strolled over to join the conversation. She had her long blonde hair up in a tight ponytail, framing her face in a more severe cast than I'd ever seen it. My usually warm and enthusiastic mother looked positively icy, and it really underscored how serious she was about this training. "But you don't need to worry about that here Bethany. We'll be handling motivation and difficulty scaling. All you need to worry about is getting the most out of this experience. Can you do that for me?"
Bethy clapped excitedly. "Of COURSE! This is gonna be so fun! Can I go first? I want to set the record!"
My mom finally cracked a smile, even her new somber demeanor unable to withstand Bethy's exuberance. "You may. Follow me and I'll explain how it works." She led us over to the entrance to the obstacle course. "This is The Gauntlet. It's a special course we designed personally. It suppresses your parameters to the absolute limit. Namely, one point in each stat. The Gauntlet, coincidentally, is set to be functionally impossible with a single stat point. Can you guess why we would do this?"
"Because you're training us to use our Paths more," Bethy said excitedly. "Without stats, the only thing we can rely on is finding a way to make our Paths affect the world around us to bridge the gap."
"Correct," my mother nodded. "And your Paths will be at their absolute weakest. With only a single point of Impact and no stats to empower your will, even the strongest soul will have difficulty mobilizing much power. This kind of resistance training is critical for learning fine control of your Paths for combat. Shane, I would ask that you not manifest your Domain or any of your demons directly during the exercise. We're teaching you an alternative combat method."
I nodded slowly. I could understand why they would want me to have another option in battle. Thinking back to the Quiet Room during my trial, Roland had all but shattered my Domain. Without my dad's backup plan, I'd have taken months to heal that kind of damage. Not many things could cause that kind of harm to my Domain, especially after my rank up, but if there was a way to directly attack while minimizing the risk to Gehenna, it was definitely worth learning, just to have the option.
Honestly, it felt almost nostalgic. It had been quite some time since I'd worked on any direct Path techniques. I had some demons based on ones I'd created, but I'd been using forms and pseudo Domains since well before I condensed my Chronicle. It would be interesting to see what my Legendary Path could do.
Of course, I'd need to wait my turn. First, Bethy was up. I got in line to go second, but I didn't argue with the chance to see what the course was like before I took my turn.
Stepping over the starting line, Bethy took up a position inside the course. The beginning was a low, smooth path leading towards a vaulting horse, up onto a balance beam with an overhanging construct that swung sharp blades are regular intervals. My mom counted it down, and I saw Bethy's body relax, her face smoothing as all the enthusiasm and sunny energy drained away, leaving her still and empty, a predator on the hunt. My mom called for her to start, and Bethy took off like a shot.
It was, honestly, awe inspiring. Bethy's initial launch was picture perfect. So fast and leaning so far forward she was almost parallel to the ground. She hit the vaulting horse and whipper her legs, her feet all but floating off the ground as she snapped her body into a picture perfect gainer, corkscrewing in the air between the blades.
Her form blurred slightly, becoming insubstantial as she flowed across the beam, then up onto a series of handholds along a mostly sheer rock wall over a large pit. She scaled it like a spider, her limbs twisting almost unnaturally, and I saw a slight crimson glow emanate from her eyes as she took the course one obstacle at a time, pushing herself beyond what should have been possible, tapping into the Path of vampirism even with almost no power at her disposal.
Frankly, it was mesmerizing to watch. Like watching someone paint a masterpiece with the EXACT right amount of paint. Not a drop left over. Perfect economy of power, motion, and intent. It was like performance art.
When she reached the end, she landed, silently, not moving of even breathing as she stood stone still. There was a beat, then, slowly, we all started clapping. My mother was the first, then Chelsea, then the rest of us. It had been a performance worthy of applause. "That was absolutely breathtaking," my mom said enthusiastically. "Your application of intent through your Path was flawless. Just enough to affect your body and the world around you with no wasted energy."
Bethy took a deep bow, beaming as she raised her head to show that she was back to normal. "Thanks, Mrs. W! Or should I call you mom?"
"I'd like that," my mother laughed. "I tried to get Calliope to do it, but she never quite took to the term." She winked at my wife to show she didn't mean anything by it. "Now, Shane, I believe you're next? Care to show us what you've got?"
I nodded, stepping over the line. Once I was within the course, I felt like someone dropped an anvil on my head. All my power, my strength, my Impact, it was all….gone. I was just a human being again. Just a person. My wings and horns dissolved, and I realized I might have made some assumptions. I was sure it would come in handy later, but for now, none of my powers except my Path mattered here.
I didn't start. Instead, I took mental stock of my assets. I was strong. Well trained, muscular, physically active. The fact that I'd done most of my training with stats didn't change that my body had been forged in combat and repaired with power and regeneration beyond what most people ever saw. Especially with my bloodline.
Taking a deep breath, I considered my options, then I took off. I hit the path at a run, launching myself forward at top speed, taking advantage of my long legs. My palms hit the vaulting horse and I sprang up into the air toward the balance beam at top speed, all in one smooth motion.
I wasn't Bethy. I wasn't super graceful or inhumanly elegant. I was just in good shape and had a lot of practice moving my body. My incarnations helped quite a bit, but it wasn't enough to offset that "impossible with these stats" difference. Which was where my Path came in. I focused as I flew, eyes narrowing as I brought my soul and will to bear through the Path of the Demonbinder.
Binding. It was a simple concept. Too simple in some ways. But it was widely applicable and endlessly useful. Binding could mean many things. Subjugation, suppression, even just waylaying.
My soul brought the concept of the Demonbinder into the world, manifesting my will as I bound the path of the swinging blades. It didn't work too well, just barely causing a hiccup in the movement, but it DID work. Enough for me to slip between the blades and hit the beam running, bouncing around to avoid the rest of the attacks.
I kept running, but it wasn't right. That had been too…overt. It wasn't enough to strain my soul much, but not much was still a bit. That had been hamfisted. My next attempt was more subtle. Rather than bind the world, I bound myself. As I leapt up onto the rock face, I treated myself as a demon, binding my hands more securely to the stone.
This one was easier, allowing me to scale the pit more easily and avoid any slips as I climbed across. I gained confidence, applying those lessons to my next obstacle. Each one pushed me a little further, made me strain a bit more. Not just my soul, but my imagination. I was learning how to embody the Path of the Demonbinder in ways beyond just smashing people with my Domain, and I was sure this would come in handy.
I considered the applications combined with my demons too. The demonbinder didn't just bind and command. He was the perfect master of demonkind. Making the best use of my demons was the true and ultimate use of this Path, even without using my Domain directly, and I knew I could put this training to use that way.
But that was for later. For now I needed to complete my course. So I focused up, poured on the speed, and put my ass in gear. I didn't beat Bethy's time (seven minutes and three seconds), but I did pretty well (eight minutes and ten seconds). Well enough to be pretty proud of myself as I slumped down on the ground to watch the others take their turns. I was looking forward to seeing what they could all do. Not to mention resting up a bit. Today was definitely nowhere close to over.
When I arrived, I was excited to get started. The energy was flooding through my body, wings tucked behind my back and horns curling on my head. Abaddon and Sammael seemed like the best possible combo going into this little assessment. Raw unfiltered physical power was easily the most useful application of my powers for frontal combat.
Of course, I might have been assuming that I'd be engaging in frontal combat, but in my experience, Ascendant training usually involved hitting things with a big stick.
When we arrived, we found my parents and Zeke lined up at the edge of the room, standing outside the perimeter of some kind of huge complicated obstacle course they appeared to have built from scratch. Towers, bridges, spinning logs, blades, ropes, it was all in constant motion and all of it was set up with the same suppression mechanism I remembered from training equipment back on Callus in our early days.
My friends had all arrived, gathered opposite my folks and all looking ready to work out. Close cropped pants and sleeveless shorts, the occasional pair of shorts or compression tee, everyone was in their workout best, and they were mostly warming up to get started.
Bethy was flitting back and forth, shadow boxing so fast she was almost teleporting. Benny was doing pushups while Randall sprawled on his back, sleeping and so big he was about to fall off. Jessie was jumping rope, Abel was sparring with Dante, and everyone else was paired or grouped off chattering excitedly about what was coming.
As soon as we arrived, all motion stopped, and I rolled my eyes at the silence. "You all just HAD to show up even earlier than we did, huh? I made a point to come in well before go time, and you STILL made me look bad."
"Shane, you're here!" Bethy cheered. "This is gonna be so fun. We're gonna get in shape. Get fit or get bit, WHOO!"
"Honey, you can't bite anyone who slacks," Chelsea said gently. "We discussed this. Mindnumbing agony is not a motivational tool, no matter what your dad says. We use verbal encouragement and positive verbal messaging. Torture is low down the list."
Bethy pouted. "I wasn't going to SNACK on anyone. Just a nibble. It's not even real agony. Just a twinge of discomfort. Like a shot. Or two shots. In the neck. That inject liquid fire directly into your veins. Daddy says it's important to set realistic expectations. I don't want to hurt any friends, but if you hold back during training it can get people killed in real life."
"That's a valid concern," my mom says as she strolled over to join the conversation. She had her long blonde hair up in a tight ponytail, framing her face in a more severe cast than I'd ever seen it. My usually warm and enthusiastic mother looked positively icy, and it really underscored how serious she was about this training. "But you don't need to worry about that here Bethany. We'll be handling motivation and difficulty scaling. All you need to worry about is getting the most out of this experience. Can you do that for me?"
Bethy clapped excitedly. "Of COURSE! This is gonna be so fun! Can I go first? I want to set the record!"
My mom finally cracked a smile, even her new somber demeanor unable to withstand Bethy's exuberance. "You may. Follow me and I'll explain how it works." She led us over to the entrance to the obstacle course. "This is The Gauntlet. It's a special course we designed personally. It suppresses your parameters to the absolute limit. Namely, one point in each stat. The Gauntlet, coincidentally, is set to be functionally impossible with a single stat point. Can you guess why we would do this?"
"Because you're training us to use our Paths more," Bethy said excitedly. "Without stats, the only thing we can rely on is finding a way to make our Paths affect the world around us to bridge the gap."
"Correct," my mother nodded. "And your Paths will be at their absolute weakest. With only a single point of Impact and no stats to empower your will, even the strongest soul will have difficulty mobilizing much power. This kind of resistance training is critical for learning fine control of your Paths for combat. Shane, I would ask that you not manifest your Domain or any of your demons directly during the exercise. We're teaching you an alternative combat method."
I nodded slowly. I could understand why they would want me to have another option in battle. Thinking back to the Quiet Room during my trial, Roland had all but shattered my Domain. Without my dad's backup plan, I'd have taken months to heal that kind of damage. Not many things could cause that kind of harm to my Domain, especially after my rank up, but if there was a way to directly attack while minimizing the risk to Gehenna, it was definitely worth learning, just to have the option.
Honestly, it felt almost nostalgic. It had been quite some time since I'd worked on any direct Path techniques. I had some demons based on ones I'd created, but I'd been using forms and pseudo Domains since well before I condensed my Chronicle. It would be interesting to see what my Legendary Path could do.
Of course, I'd need to wait my turn. First, Bethy was up. I got in line to go second, but I didn't argue with the chance to see what the course was like before I took my turn.
Stepping over the starting line, Bethy took up a position inside the course. The beginning was a low, smooth path leading towards a vaulting horse, up onto a balance beam with an overhanging construct that swung sharp blades are regular intervals. My mom counted it down, and I saw Bethy's body relax, her face smoothing as all the enthusiasm and sunny energy drained away, leaving her still and empty, a predator on the hunt. My mom called for her to start, and Bethy took off like a shot.
It was, honestly, awe inspiring. Bethy's initial launch was picture perfect. So fast and leaning so far forward she was almost parallel to the ground. She hit the vaulting horse and whipper her legs, her feet all but floating off the ground as she snapped her body into a picture perfect gainer, corkscrewing in the air between the blades.
Her form blurred slightly, becoming insubstantial as she flowed across the beam, then up onto a series of handholds along a mostly sheer rock wall over a large pit. She scaled it like a spider, her limbs twisting almost unnaturally, and I saw a slight crimson glow emanate from her eyes as she took the course one obstacle at a time, pushing herself beyond what should have been possible, tapping into the Path of vampirism even with almost no power at her disposal.
Frankly, it was mesmerizing to watch. Like watching someone paint a masterpiece with the EXACT right amount of paint. Not a drop left over. Perfect economy of power, motion, and intent. It was like performance art.
When she reached the end, she landed, silently, not moving of even breathing as she stood stone still. There was a beat, then, slowly, we all started clapping. My mother was the first, then Chelsea, then the rest of us. It had been a performance worthy of applause. "That was absolutely breathtaking," my mom said enthusiastically. "Your application of intent through your Path was flawless. Just enough to affect your body and the world around you with no wasted energy."
Bethy took a deep bow, beaming as she raised her head to show that she was back to normal. "Thanks, Mrs. W! Or should I call you mom?"
"I'd like that," my mother laughed. "I tried to get Calliope to do it, but she never quite took to the term." She winked at my wife to show she didn't mean anything by it. "Now, Shane, I believe you're next? Care to show us what you've got?"
I nodded, stepping over the line. Once I was within the course, I felt like someone dropped an anvil on my head. All my power, my strength, my Impact, it was all….gone. I was just a human being again. Just a person. My wings and horns dissolved, and I realized I might have made some assumptions. I was sure it would come in handy later, but for now, none of my powers except my Path mattered here.
I didn't start. Instead, I took mental stock of my assets. I was strong. Well trained, muscular, physically active. The fact that I'd done most of my training with stats didn't change that my body had been forged in combat and repaired with power and regeneration beyond what most people ever saw. Especially with my bloodline.
Taking a deep breath, I considered my options, then I took off. I hit the path at a run, launching myself forward at top speed, taking advantage of my long legs. My palms hit the vaulting horse and I sprang up into the air toward the balance beam at top speed, all in one smooth motion.
I wasn't Bethy. I wasn't super graceful or inhumanly elegant. I was just in good shape and had a lot of practice moving my body. My incarnations helped quite a bit, but it wasn't enough to offset that "impossible with these stats" difference. Which was where my Path came in. I focused as I flew, eyes narrowing as I brought my soul and will to bear through the Path of the Demonbinder.
Binding. It was a simple concept. Too simple in some ways. But it was widely applicable and endlessly useful. Binding could mean many things. Subjugation, suppression, even just waylaying.
My soul brought the concept of the Demonbinder into the world, manifesting my will as I bound the path of the swinging blades. It didn't work too well, just barely causing a hiccup in the movement, but it DID work. Enough for me to slip between the blades and hit the beam running, bouncing around to avoid the rest of the attacks.
I kept running, but it wasn't right. That had been too…overt. It wasn't enough to strain my soul much, but not much was still a bit. That had been hamfisted. My next attempt was more subtle. Rather than bind the world, I bound myself. As I leapt up onto the rock face, I treated myself as a demon, binding my hands more securely to the stone.
This one was easier, allowing me to scale the pit more easily and avoid any slips as I climbed across. I gained confidence, applying those lessons to my next obstacle. Each one pushed me a little further, made me strain a bit more. Not just my soul, but my imagination. I was learning how to embody the Path of the Demonbinder in ways beyond just smashing people with my Domain, and I was sure this would come in handy.
I considered the applications combined with my demons too. The demonbinder didn't just bind and command. He was the perfect master of demonkind. Making the best use of my demons was the true and ultimate use of this Path, even without using my Domain directly, and I knew I could put this training to use that way.
But that was for later. For now I needed to complete my course. So I focused up, poured on the speed, and put my ass in gear. I didn't beat Bethy's time (seven minutes and three seconds), but I did pretty well (eight minutes and ten seconds). Well enough to be pretty proud of myself as I slumped down on the ground to watch the others take their turns. I was looking forward to seeing what they could all do. Not to mention resting up a bit. Today was definitely nowhere close to over.