Chapter 1161
Malcolm Tent
Monkey with a typewriter.
- Joined
- Oct 16, 2020
- Messages
- 8,600
- Likes received
- 518,863
Tomorrow was the midterm exams. It had been quite a journey getting here, admittedly. I hadn't even had time to take a class from the Dean yet, so invested in my progress with my timepieces and creating Kronos. Now that I had crafted my first Archdemon, however, I was pretty sure I could middle through whatever the midterms had to offer.
It was with a particular pep in my step that I headed to visit Elonwy to finally register for the Dean's course. I had about twenty five thousand credits on hand at the moment, and I wanted to both check up on the prizes for the midterm rankings and sign up for the Dean's class now while I had the credits available. After finalizing Kronos and seeing just how much potential mm new Archdemon had, I felt like I could take on anything. Which admittedly was probably a bit ambitious, but still.
"Hey there El," I said to my friend as I strolled up to the counter at the exchange. "Isn't a wonderful day?"
She looked at me suspiciously. "You're too happy. Did you eat a mind slug? They get into the food sometimes. Does your left ear itch? Is your right eye one micron more closed than your left?"
I paused, frantically thinking about her questions, because now that I thought about it my ear kind of did- "Wait a second," I snapped. "Those are psychosomatic triggers."
She grinned. "That's true. Good catch. Unfortunately for you, catching onto the mind slug test is the REAL mind slug test." I rolled my eyes, and she just laughed. "Anyway, what can I do for you, kid? Here to sign up for midterms?"
"Obviously," I said with a laugh. "And to find out how exactly this whole thing works. I'm going to shoot for the rankings. There's a prize, right?"
She snorted at that. "Yeah. There's a prize. For the top five. First place gets seventy five thousand credits, second place gets fifty, third place gets twenty five, fourth place gets ten, and fifth gets five thousand credits."
I whistled. "That's a steep drop past third place. Must be competitive."
"Extremely," she said with a grin. "What makes you so sure you'll be able to even place? What if they test something you can't do?"
I considered that. "Nah," I finally said. "I've been thinking about it, and I think the test has to be something universally applicable. People can take any classes they want, or none at all. So while they have to prioritize the skills that we need to learn here to test what we've been able to pick up, they also need to make it accessible to people from all different branches of the major. Like people could be taking totally different courses, but all working just as hard. I doubt they want to punish people who put in the work."
"You think so?" she said with amusement. "What makes you think they care? This academy is a colossal entity with a nearly endless time in operation. What makes you think they don't arrange the exams specifically to weed out anyone who isn't a monster?"
"Because if they did that, there would be no reason for them to have a top five," I said bluntly. "They could just offer a prize for the winner. No need to encourage everyone to try their best."
She nodded in acknowledgement. "You have a point," she admitted. "Fine. Yes. They test skills from the major using a device. I can't tell you much about the item, just that it's a way to genuinely assess how well the user understands temporal mechanics in a practical sense. I can't give you any details, because it's supposed to be a surprise, but as long as you've been learning and exploring how time functions, you should be able to apply it on the exam."
That was a relief. Not taking the Dean's class had been a calculated risk, but I was sure that I could learn more from him with access to a proper temporal form. If my affinity for time was high because of the bloodline, I was betting Kronos pushed it even higher. Now I was starting to get excited about all this.
"Alright," I said eagerly, slamming my hands down on the table. "Sign me up. Is there a fee?"
"To take your midterm exam?" she asked slowly. "No. There's not a fee to participate in a mandatory assessment."
I snorted. "Your scorn would be a lot more convincing if I hadn't been here for months already. I know what this place is like. I could absolutely imagine the Dean charging people credits to take the midterms and not telling anyone and then automatically failing them when they didn't ask."
She paused. "I…I have no rebuttal to that. He totally would. And I kind of want to see it happen. I'm going to suggest that to Professor Hawkins next time I talk to him."
"Please don't," I sighed in despair. "And if you do, don't tell anyone it was my idea at least."
"Oh don't be a baby," she said heartlessly. "Imagine how much renown you could farm if that rumor got out."
I snorted. "Somehow I don't think having an entire major full of time wizards swearing vengeance on me is worth a few stat points. But if I change my mind, I know just who to call. Now, how do I sign up for the midterm?"
She rolled her eyes. "Just give me your ID number as usual, ass." I did, and she tapped it out on the screen.
"Nice," I said in relief. "Now, I wanted to sign up for the Dean's course."
"Which one?" she asked archly. "He's got like…fifty going at any given time. Most of them take place in the same block of schedule. He overlaps them with time instancing to make it harder to pin down where he actually is at any given time."
Sighing, it was my turn for an eye roll. "The one you recommended last time, genius."
"Ah, that one," she said wisely. She pulled out a piece of paper, scribbling out a name.
Quantum Resonance Dynamics and Temporal Diffusion Substrates with Professor Samuel P. Gibbons-25,000 credits
"This the one you mean?" I winced. Twenty five thousand was everything I had. I felt like I remembered that being cheaper, but apparently not. I nodded, and she tapped a few things on the counter. "I need your number again, you know how it goes." I spat it out again, grimacing the whole time. She looked sympathetic. "I get it. Using up all your points at once sucks. But it'll be worth it. If the Prof thinks you're up to snuff for working a project with him, your foundations must be solid. You'll do great. And the Dean is a genius. You don't become a time Overgod by being mediocre."
I sighed, but nodded. "Just make it quick. I can take it. Rip it off like a bandaid, it won't hurt if-"
"I already charged you," she interrupted me. "Like forty five seconds ago. I take it back, you're being way too dramatic. Aren't you married? Does your wife put up with you whining about spending money like that?"
Grimacing, I let out a despairing sigh. "I wish. My wife is a loot goblin who has recently become a hoarder. I mean, she always was, but she's gotten really invested in buying new loot, and has been spending every credit she can get on stuff for her Domain. I don't know if you've heard of anything like-"
"It's a treasury type, isn't it?" she said dryly. "People obsessed with collecting loot get them sometimes. Let me guess, she's a spatial major?"
"Did I tell you that before?" I asked suspiciously.
She snorted. "If you did, I don't remember, but I don't really need to. People with treasury type Domains always end up in the spatial department. They're all pack rats who keep everything. Means they need a lot of space. It's like how people with Domains based on cutting or severing concepts always end up in weapons. The two things just go together."
"Well, does that mean you know a cheap way to get free stuff?" I asked hopefully.
She paused. "I…actually do," she admitted. "Not useful stuff. But stuff. There are a bunch of majors based on crafting here. Crafting majors make a lot of stuff, and a lot of it doesn't work properly. Sometimes that's an accident, sometimes it's even on purpose. But items with bad construction or negative effects aren't really useful to most people, so the crafting students created a place to dump them. There's a canyon where people toss their most useless or cursed objects. They call it Curse Canyon."
"That's…clever," I said slowly.
"No it isn't," she said bluntly. "It's the dumbest name imaginable. But I didn't name it, so I don't know why you're aiming that sarcasm at me. Point is, free stuff would be found there, even if it's not USABLE stuff. I know that's probably not helpful, but-"
"No, it is," I assured her. "More than you know." I didn't explain Callie's Domain because it didn't seem like mine to share, but a cursed canyons was PERFECT for my wife's Stygian Vault. Her ability both protected her from harmful effects AND let her create and inverted version of items, which when combined with curses could create uniquely useful and beneficial items for low prices. And free was the lowest price there was.
Honestly, I wanted to go find the place now, but I knew better than to run off to some absurd cursed landfill the day before a big exam. I would wait until the day AFTER the exam to run off to the cursed landfill. That was called wisdom.
"So, you know my wife is in the space major," I pushed Elonwy. "And you mentioned knowing what our midterm is. Do you know what THEIR midterm is?"
"No," she scoffed. "Why would I possibly know that? I'm not a spatial major and never was. I know ours because I TOOK it, for several years in a row. But I would imagine it'll just be some form of space manipulation. If she's been putting in the work passing should be easy. As for PLACING…that's a bit more up in the air."
I chuckled. "Heh, because she has wings, I get it."
"Nope, still don't know her," she corrected. "Had no idea she had wings to begin with. Now get lost, you're clogging up my line." I looked over my shoulder at the complete lack of any notable human forms, then back at her, and she just smiled sweetly, I rolled my eyes and waved my goodbyes as I turned and headed outside.
Sometimes I forgot that my Leviathan incarnation made this effortless for me when most Ascendants had trouble coming in here. Still, it had been a useful trip. I wondered if I could figure out the exact specifics of the exam before I went in just from the few clues I had.
I probably couldn't…but I knew someone who might be able to. In fact, I sometimes WAS someone who might be able to. I reached into myself, poking Dantalion inside the Domain to let him know what I needed, then left him to his own devices, if he couldn't figure it out, then oh well, but if he could it would be a nice little boost for me going into the test.
Once that was done, I incarnated Angelic Bond, reaching through it to contact Callie. I hadn't been able to figure out anything about her test, but I'd tell her about mine in case they were similar in any case. Besides, she liked hearing about my day. After that, I'd make us dinner and head to bed early. It would be a good idea to get some rest. After all, tomorrow was going to be a big day.
It was with a particular pep in my step that I headed to visit Elonwy to finally register for the Dean's course. I had about twenty five thousand credits on hand at the moment, and I wanted to both check up on the prizes for the midterm rankings and sign up for the Dean's class now while I had the credits available. After finalizing Kronos and seeing just how much potential mm new Archdemon had, I felt like I could take on anything. Which admittedly was probably a bit ambitious, but still.
"Hey there El," I said to my friend as I strolled up to the counter at the exchange. "Isn't a wonderful day?"
She looked at me suspiciously. "You're too happy. Did you eat a mind slug? They get into the food sometimes. Does your left ear itch? Is your right eye one micron more closed than your left?"
I paused, frantically thinking about her questions, because now that I thought about it my ear kind of did- "Wait a second," I snapped. "Those are psychosomatic triggers."
She grinned. "That's true. Good catch. Unfortunately for you, catching onto the mind slug test is the REAL mind slug test." I rolled my eyes, and she just laughed. "Anyway, what can I do for you, kid? Here to sign up for midterms?"
"Obviously," I said with a laugh. "And to find out how exactly this whole thing works. I'm going to shoot for the rankings. There's a prize, right?"
She snorted at that. "Yeah. There's a prize. For the top five. First place gets seventy five thousand credits, second place gets fifty, third place gets twenty five, fourth place gets ten, and fifth gets five thousand credits."
I whistled. "That's a steep drop past third place. Must be competitive."
"Extremely," she said with a grin. "What makes you so sure you'll be able to even place? What if they test something you can't do?"
I considered that. "Nah," I finally said. "I've been thinking about it, and I think the test has to be something universally applicable. People can take any classes they want, or none at all. So while they have to prioritize the skills that we need to learn here to test what we've been able to pick up, they also need to make it accessible to people from all different branches of the major. Like people could be taking totally different courses, but all working just as hard. I doubt they want to punish people who put in the work."
"You think so?" she said with amusement. "What makes you think they care? This academy is a colossal entity with a nearly endless time in operation. What makes you think they don't arrange the exams specifically to weed out anyone who isn't a monster?"
"Because if they did that, there would be no reason for them to have a top five," I said bluntly. "They could just offer a prize for the winner. No need to encourage everyone to try their best."
She nodded in acknowledgement. "You have a point," she admitted. "Fine. Yes. They test skills from the major using a device. I can't tell you much about the item, just that it's a way to genuinely assess how well the user understands temporal mechanics in a practical sense. I can't give you any details, because it's supposed to be a surprise, but as long as you've been learning and exploring how time functions, you should be able to apply it on the exam."
That was a relief. Not taking the Dean's class had been a calculated risk, but I was sure that I could learn more from him with access to a proper temporal form. If my affinity for time was high because of the bloodline, I was betting Kronos pushed it even higher. Now I was starting to get excited about all this.
"Alright," I said eagerly, slamming my hands down on the table. "Sign me up. Is there a fee?"
"To take your midterm exam?" she asked slowly. "No. There's not a fee to participate in a mandatory assessment."
I snorted. "Your scorn would be a lot more convincing if I hadn't been here for months already. I know what this place is like. I could absolutely imagine the Dean charging people credits to take the midterms and not telling anyone and then automatically failing them when they didn't ask."
She paused. "I…I have no rebuttal to that. He totally would. And I kind of want to see it happen. I'm going to suggest that to Professor Hawkins next time I talk to him."
"Please don't," I sighed in despair. "And if you do, don't tell anyone it was my idea at least."
"Oh don't be a baby," she said heartlessly. "Imagine how much renown you could farm if that rumor got out."
I snorted. "Somehow I don't think having an entire major full of time wizards swearing vengeance on me is worth a few stat points. But if I change my mind, I know just who to call. Now, how do I sign up for the midterm?"
She rolled her eyes. "Just give me your ID number as usual, ass." I did, and she tapped it out on the screen.
"Nice," I said in relief. "Now, I wanted to sign up for the Dean's course."
"Which one?" she asked archly. "He's got like…fifty going at any given time. Most of them take place in the same block of schedule. He overlaps them with time instancing to make it harder to pin down where he actually is at any given time."
Sighing, it was my turn for an eye roll. "The one you recommended last time, genius."
"Ah, that one," she said wisely. She pulled out a piece of paper, scribbling out a name.
Quantum Resonance Dynamics and Temporal Diffusion Substrates with Professor Samuel P. Gibbons-25,000 credits
"This the one you mean?" I winced. Twenty five thousand was everything I had. I felt like I remembered that being cheaper, but apparently not. I nodded, and she tapped a few things on the counter. "I need your number again, you know how it goes." I spat it out again, grimacing the whole time. She looked sympathetic. "I get it. Using up all your points at once sucks. But it'll be worth it. If the Prof thinks you're up to snuff for working a project with him, your foundations must be solid. You'll do great. And the Dean is a genius. You don't become a time Overgod by being mediocre."
I sighed, but nodded. "Just make it quick. I can take it. Rip it off like a bandaid, it won't hurt if-"
"I already charged you," she interrupted me. "Like forty five seconds ago. I take it back, you're being way too dramatic. Aren't you married? Does your wife put up with you whining about spending money like that?"
Grimacing, I let out a despairing sigh. "I wish. My wife is a loot goblin who has recently become a hoarder. I mean, she always was, but she's gotten really invested in buying new loot, and has been spending every credit she can get on stuff for her Domain. I don't know if you've heard of anything like-"
"It's a treasury type, isn't it?" she said dryly. "People obsessed with collecting loot get them sometimes. Let me guess, she's a spatial major?"
"Did I tell you that before?" I asked suspiciously.
She snorted. "If you did, I don't remember, but I don't really need to. People with treasury type Domains always end up in the spatial department. They're all pack rats who keep everything. Means they need a lot of space. It's like how people with Domains based on cutting or severing concepts always end up in weapons. The two things just go together."
"Well, does that mean you know a cheap way to get free stuff?" I asked hopefully.
She paused. "I…actually do," she admitted. "Not useful stuff. But stuff. There are a bunch of majors based on crafting here. Crafting majors make a lot of stuff, and a lot of it doesn't work properly. Sometimes that's an accident, sometimes it's even on purpose. But items with bad construction or negative effects aren't really useful to most people, so the crafting students created a place to dump them. There's a canyon where people toss their most useless or cursed objects. They call it Curse Canyon."
"That's…clever," I said slowly.
"No it isn't," she said bluntly. "It's the dumbest name imaginable. But I didn't name it, so I don't know why you're aiming that sarcasm at me. Point is, free stuff would be found there, even if it's not USABLE stuff. I know that's probably not helpful, but-"
"No, it is," I assured her. "More than you know." I didn't explain Callie's Domain because it didn't seem like mine to share, but a cursed canyons was PERFECT for my wife's Stygian Vault. Her ability both protected her from harmful effects AND let her create and inverted version of items, which when combined with curses could create uniquely useful and beneficial items for low prices. And free was the lowest price there was.
Honestly, I wanted to go find the place now, but I knew better than to run off to some absurd cursed landfill the day before a big exam. I would wait until the day AFTER the exam to run off to the cursed landfill. That was called wisdom.
"So, you know my wife is in the space major," I pushed Elonwy. "And you mentioned knowing what our midterm is. Do you know what THEIR midterm is?"
"No," she scoffed. "Why would I possibly know that? I'm not a spatial major and never was. I know ours because I TOOK it, for several years in a row. But I would imagine it'll just be some form of space manipulation. If she's been putting in the work passing should be easy. As for PLACING…that's a bit more up in the air."
I chuckled. "Heh, because she has wings, I get it."
"Nope, still don't know her," she corrected. "Had no idea she had wings to begin with. Now get lost, you're clogging up my line." I looked over my shoulder at the complete lack of any notable human forms, then back at her, and she just smiled sweetly, I rolled my eyes and waved my goodbyes as I turned and headed outside.
Sometimes I forgot that my Leviathan incarnation made this effortless for me when most Ascendants had trouble coming in here. Still, it had been a useful trip. I wondered if I could figure out the exact specifics of the exam before I went in just from the few clues I had.
I probably couldn't…but I knew someone who might be able to. In fact, I sometimes WAS someone who might be able to. I reached into myself, poking Dantalion inside the Domain to let him know what I needed, then left him to his own devices, if he couldn't figure it out, then oh well, but if he could it would be a nice little boost for me going into the test.
Once that was done, I incarnated Angelic Bond, reaching through it to contact Callie. I hadn't been able to figure out anything about her test, but I'd tell her about mine in case they were similar in any case. Besides, she liked hearing about my day. After that, I'd make us dinner and head to bed early. It would be a good idea to get some rest. After all, tomorrow was going to be a big day.