1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Fuck you, Mr Zoat.

Ahem. Sorry about that, but that was annoying as hell.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, the clickers don't come from Maltus. A lot of them moved there as part of their deal with the Controllers, but they aren't native.
    At this point, it's more: "You've got three regular Lanterns and two Honour Guard Lanterns, and by your own admission the worst of the fighting is over. Be reasonable, Lantern Jordan. We have finite resources."
    What, the alarm? Don't click on links in class when your speakers are on.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  3. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

By the way is 'Dame Carol' Carol Ferris or does she just happen to share a name with the local ex-Star Sapphire?

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Idkusername

I was at home, it was mildly annoying, and I never use speakers if possible. It was more the bait and switch that got me. I expected something about who Hal’s new girlfriend was. Maybe something about Dame Ferris from Earth -14.

I just hope it isn’t Arisia.

5. Agent Orange

I think it was Paul's 'Jailbait Alarm'. He turned it on when Zatanna's crush became obvious even to him and simply never got around to turning it off.

Hal and Arisia unintentionally set it off.

He also most likely put Kon and M'gann on ignore list otherwise it would be going off every time he visited the Mountain.

6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It's the version of Carol Ferris from Universe -14, home of the (Crime) Syndicate.

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  7. Agent Orange

Oh I know where she's from I was just wondering if it was a direct counterpart or merely a person with a same first name filling in a reverse Star Sapphire role.

Source of my confusion is the 'Dame' part. I don't think US -14 is that different to errr... knight (?) their people.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

The Star Sapphires of that Universe seem to all be Knight-Errants, so that just might be what they call themselves. Or maybe it's their rank instead of Sector Lantern, so a trainee might be called Squire (Insert Name).

Cuchulin, Ardy, DrThoth and 2 others like this.
  9. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Well, it works out like that in shounen stories most of the time, where burnout isn't real and stress is flavour text...

Although maybe I should point out that even in shounen, it doesn't always work.

10. Agent Orange

Hmmm... well Zamarons are led by 'Queen Aga'po' so I guess it makes some sense.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  11. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

meh, that was fine for me.

12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm not sure who Hal is dating, but my guess is that he's NOT dating Arisia. I mean, it's not that it isn't plausible, I just don't think that's where Zoat is going.

Cuchulin, TopHatWearer and Darko like this.
  13. Idkusername

It was an exaggeration for comedic effect, plus I was already a bit worked up.

moralrelativity likes this.
  14. Junzahkrii

Junzahkrii Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Careful Jordan, watch out for fridges. (I know it was kyle but its funny to me.)

nick012000 and Cuchulin like this.
  15. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Okay, how was it annoying? I mean, there’s a 15 second or so period of silence at the beginning. Does that mean you have tabs set to auto-play YouTube in the background? I didn’t even know that was an option?

OrigamiPhoenix likes this.
  16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The - 14 version of them are led by a Grand Marshall.

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  17. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

He's dating MoM.

Because OL's MoM has got it going on.

18. Agent Orange

Speaking of dating and jailbaits: Is Zatanna back on the Team? What with OL being officially back an' all?

edit:
    I know things got a bit awkward after the whole 'you're twice my age!' revelation but it didn't seem to dishearten her all that much. I guess she wasn't a bad choice for a Star Sapphirehood after all :D

Lord Ernest, dxdragon and Darko like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Both Zatanna Zatara and Giovanni Zatara are back on their respective teams.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Another reason, aside from the loss of soul thing, could be that the summons may not be all that useful.

It wouldn't be the first time a demon summoning didn't work out.

Just look at this:

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

When did Ghi'ata show up in the Paragon timeline? Was she also hanging around Carol all day? I may be wrong, but I think it was the Renegade timeline where she was rooting for Carol and Hal to get back together, or did the Paragon version do that too?
    I've also forgotten what happened to Earth -16 Carol; did she go back to her universe?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  22. Mr Zoat

I don't know. Carol -14 is still around, though. She's teh one who brought Ghia'ta to Earth.

23. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

In this general vein, it could be cool to see Wonder Woman invoking Greek gods or spirits for assistance; she probably has the capacity for magical practice, and honestly at age 80 she should have picked up at least some basic cantrips, and her nascent divinity should make Greco-Roman theurgy somewhat easier. Both Troia and Circe have done it to varying degrees, or discussed doing so. Ares might not be a fan but I'm sure one of Diana's divine patrons has some martial forces that would love a good battle (especially if Aphrodite has some of her original warlike characteristics and epithets). Calling upon Artemis's Hunters would be quite on-brand, though perhaps they'd only be suitable when fighting actual beasts of some kind.

Speaking of, Paragon implied that the goddesses' blessings were possibly meant to restrict Diana's divine strength and growth, which she basically dismissed as speculation. That's fair enough, but is there any actual truth to that guess (and will we ever see that come up again?) Is Diana going to confront the gods at any point? Those who've interacted with Paragon have largely made themselves functional and beneficial to modern society, but as Zeus and Apollo have shown, there's still a lot of assholes around.

24. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

He did but maybe he's keeping that private?

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  25. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

or the Ark mechanicus run by an unrestricted “Silicia Animus” that’s miraculously avoided undergoing the digital version of murderrapekill at the hands of its techno-neobarb crew by mindwiping everyone who finds out for longer then the imperium has been a thing-Aparrently there’s literally never been a single investigation into all of the high ranking magi -mysteriously- loosing time on their implant logs in a manner that should set off screaming klaxon’s in the mind of someone with a 40th MILlENIUM education in cybersecurity
    (or the paranoia born from the mechanicum civil war- for fucks sake, the author clearly didn’t thing about all the maintance/yard personnel/non noosphere-enabled servitors that would log equipment/weaponry not in the manifest/visible to the crew Given how old/worn out said ship has to be, and the mantainance demands...)let alone modern common sense >.<

Cuchulin and Xmaster3000 like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

That just explains where the ring came from. Not how he ended up in Universe 16.

27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

The ring was thrown into the bleed, found a wielder who could use it without going insane (Paul) and brought him back through the bleed to 16.

Unless something happened on the trip back there’s nothing to indicate something else happened. A million rings from a million Hinons to a million earth prime-alikes leading to all the alt-Pauls.

What exactly is the mystery?

28. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

If I had to guess, Hal’s ‘most powerful’ title is most likely something yet to come, rather than something that would have happened without Paul.

She’s probably referring to Parralax, based on the grey temples on the latest appearance from Hal in the show, thats coming. Not soon, may not happen at all to this Hal. Paul may have prevented it. But main YJ Hal is showing the signs...

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's either a sign of the old Yellow Monster, or just age and stress catching up to him.

30. Agent Orange

He already got several very strong hints (I don't wanna say 'confirmation') that he wasn't yoinked from 'Earth Prime' (or anywhere else for the matter). He was absolutely convinced he was but then Ambush Bug happened and that certainty cracked (if he's not the only Paul, if there's other versions of Paul in parallel DCverses then there's most likely an original Paul on Earth Prime they were all copies of). Then Blue (Paul -14) visited and the crack got even wider. Then Crisis of Infinite Pauls happened and that certainty was shattered to pieces. Not that it bothers him all that much. He mostly ignores it.

Paul 16 popped into existence ex nihilo between Earth 16 and Moon 16 a bit over two years ago. With a mental block on even thinking of his civilian name let alone speaking it (to the point that even high level psychics and mages just get Error 404 at best if they try to find out). Who conjured him? Well... Probably the same entity that conjured the other Pauls in the other universes.

They are in a very weird position where they are both outsiders (memories of another life in another universe) and locals (in a sense of never having existed anywhere else before waking up in their respective DCverses).

So yes, for him it's still very much a mystery how he got to... be. Where the ring came from is much lesser mystery in comparison (and an already solved one for Paul 16 at least).

It's funny. He's in a similar position to Red Arrow. A clone of someone else, with all of their memories but only a fraction of their age (chronologically). He even has an imprinted compulsion (the name thing).

Paul is a 2 years old (chronologically) 20(?)-year-old (biologically) with ~30 years worth of life experiences. Split the difference and he's about 15 right now. Maybe Zatanna is too old for him :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020