1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Justice League Black says Hi.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

Can anyone explain what's up with Arisia?

3. webxro

webxro Benevolent Bystander

I shall blame Nicol Bolas, because he's cool enough to be blamed. I mean he won't do it, but I am free to blame him for anything I want.

erebus1994 likes this.
  4. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

In this fic or in the comics?

She arrived in this fic about ... 14 episodes ago (?) as Hal Jordan's trainee and/observer of OL? Either way she got dumped on the Team along with Gi'ata (a Zamaron proof of concept Lantern). She's been doing nothing in particular aside from being a teenage (alien) hero.

In the comics she's been Hal Jordan's teenage trainee that tried her hardest to get into his pants. She tried so hard that she accidentally aged herlself out of jailbait zone with her power ring. Eventually he gave in and they hooked up!

That's about it. Good enough?

Yeah. Sure, why not. Some Planeswalker is as likely culprit as anyone else.

5. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Whatever is responsible for the Pauls is in possession of limited Omniscience by Joke of Zoat.

6. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

The Artemis time skip in Renegade has me thinking Paragon's Jade will die and Zatana will be paragon relationship long term. Either Zatana experiances some kind of time effect like being sent back in time or trapped in a magical realm with different time flow.

Or I'm wrong and Zoat really likes Jade and he has his true love. I don't hate them together, it's just i liked Renegade and Jade so much this feels like a consolation prize so I'm always comparing them negatievly and don't think i ever gave a fair shake.

OrigamiPhoenix, Ardy and Agent Orange like this.
  7. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Now you know how the rest of us feel about Melinoe

WhiteNoise and erebus1994 like this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Obviously it was the memesmith Zoat of Earth Prime, just as Morrison joined the Suicide Squad and Didio became the dread lord of Apokalips Darkdidio.

[​IMG]

9. Agent Orange

Alas, this rabbit hole goes even further. For you see, even Zoat of Earth Prime is merely a sockpuppet of a nameless Eldritch Abomination form Beyond.

10. Threadmarks: Cold Iron (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

26th June 2012
    15:39 GMT -5

"What?"

Angelica finally returns Mammon's stare. It could be a demon dominance display thing, but… I think he's just interested. His current body is a good deal smaller than the one he used earlier; he's actually a little shorter than me like this. His general shape -adjusted for mass- is about the same, despite his workout program. He's still fleshy, but the mass that was once rolls of fat is now in such a shape as to suggest that there's muscle underneath. He's also wearing a suit, though it looks like it died in the seventies and went to the appropriate location.

"What does it feel like? I've been trying-" He reaches over his left shoulder with his right hand, lightly touching the point on his upper back where her left wing is attached on hers. "-to imagine it, and I simply… Can't."

"I could try to talk Zauriel into getting us another pomegranate if you want."

"I said I'm curious, not fixated. But even knowing that it's possible… Demons will do a lot for power, but this… You must hate yourself."

"President Mammon." Batman strides in, orichalcum-armoured Diana following shortly behind him. "You were invited here as a courtesy. If you interrupt the spell you will be made to leave."

Mammon glances at where John and the Columbian theonomist -Doctor Jeremiah Smith- are drawing out the symbols required for this ritual.

"I suppose that now isn't the time to indulge my curiosity."

The design is extremely complex, and even with the library of arcane knowledge I've got squirreled away I have only a vague understanding of how a lot of it works. The basic idea is simple: the Sheeda are operating with the Castle Revolving as their headquarters. If we destroy that, their ability to manipulate time is gone, hopefully along with their high command and whatever portion of their army we catch on the hop. It's… Somewhat telling that Batman has only called in League members and affiliates who will have absolutely no problem killing the people we meet on the other side.

Aeres' underwear sits in a series of relatively easy to understand symbols over to one side, because when they started they were the only items other than Aeres herself that have actually been inside the Castle Revolving. Batman was not pleased that I hadn't kept something from her in my pact with Mammon, but…

I can only push Mammon so far. He is a very old, very powerful and very experienced demon. I caught him at a low ebb, and that was lucky. If he suspects that he's being anything other than rationally pragmatic, he's perfectly capable of getting my work undone. The rehabilitation of hell will stop and millions of human souls will suffer for it.

"I didn't hate myself. I still… Don't. I hate who I was, but it's.. clear to me that I'm not that person any longer."

Mammon tilts his head to the right a little, then looks away, chuckling quietly.

"What I'm feeling, now. I wonder if this is how angels feel about us? As if a part of their personal universe stopped working as it did, and they can't comprehend why? And what's most fascinating is how much of what's happening around me I was missing before my encounter with your brother."

Angelica steps towards him, wings slightly extended.

"I'm doing this because I want to protect the Earth and the Celestial Order. The Sheeda must be defeated and their violation of causality ended. Why are you helping?"

"I'm a businessdemon. The Sheeda's misfortune is my domain's gain. They are… Atheists, are they not? And all so morally bankrupt that no god or angel will step in to speak on their behalf? Why make it harder? Why let good men die early when I can ensure the highest proportion of damnable fatalities, and so shore up my support base with delightful novelties?"

"I suppose that is all that I can expect."

"God is free to take me to task on my conduct at any time." Mammon smiles magnanimously. "My door is always open."

"Mister President, do you actually intend to accompany us?"

"Yes, I think I will. It will give me a chance to establish my bona fides. And pick up a few trinkets."

Batman scowls as the magicians make their final preparations and the rest of the assault force enters the chamber. The Sheeda assault may have been blunted, but if League members are visibly absent from Earth for too long the raids pick up.

"Your presence is not required."

Mammon shrugs.

"If you prefer. But… As a demon, I have an affinity for human vice." He looks at the assembled League members. "Diana Olympos, you're not a part of my mythos, but you've sent many souls to my domain. And many elsewhere. Nate, if you ever want to see a few of your old friends-" He makes a phone symbol with his right hand. "-give me a call. Vietnam was a fruitful recruiting ground. And John! Nearly as interesting as the original. How are you getting on?"

"Well enough."

"Arnus. A rifle, really? Who were you trying to fool? Shayera, alien souls are enough of a novelty that I've made a point of collecting every thanagarian available, and strangely, most of them came to me by your hand. And Bruce. Bruce. A veritable titan of wrath." Mammon raises his eyebrows. "It seems to me that I fit in with this group far better than your absent colleagues do."

John snorts. "'Not so different'? That line's older than this helmet."

"Oh, no John. We're very different. I could kill all these Sheeda and not feel bad about it. Other than for missing the opportunity to use them in some way. Whereas most of you…" His eyes flick to me. "Will feel just dreadful that things came to this. You don't get points for that, by the by."

Major Adams shakes his head. "Can't say it really bothers-."

"Do not speak with the demon!"

Dr. Smith hisses the word, his contempt and hatred palpable enough to make John take a step back. He's not a particularly large man, and he was taking most of the ungodliness of our civilisation in his stride. But I suppose that demons are a reasonable sticking point.

"He exists to tempt men from the path of God."

Mammon nods. "He's not wrong."

"We'd be doing this with or without you." Batman looks over the rune network. "Are you ready?"

John has a last look around and carefully walks out of the diagram.

"Ready to activate it, yeah. A lot of this is done manually. It has to be. We still don’t know enough about the Castle Revolving's defences to put it on automatic."

"Recognized, Flash-"

Mr Allen appears, standing a short distance from Batman, his usual red costume replaced by a black one.

"-zero four."

"You're not leaving me out, Batman."

"Flash, this operation-."

"Yeah, I saw who you picked. But I was on that Dreadnought too. I'm coming."

Batman regards him for a few moments.

"Very well. Final checks. Doctor Fate, Doctor Mist, Angelica, begin opening the portal."

Rather than stand equidistant around the diagram the three magicians cluster together, very slowly feeding power into the system. There probably are ways for me to help with that, but since we haven't studied my use of the Ophidian's power in situations like that I imagine that my attempts would just be a distraction.

Instead, I triple check my armour's systems and wait for their work to be completed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  11. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

' visibly '

' came '

12. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

As the Original? Well that's the closest to confirmation we have received in-story. Cheers for clearing that up.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

14. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

So what's up with the Flash's costume? Is he going through a goth phase or something?

15. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I can feel a hole in this chapter. It is shaped like Scott Free and Big Barda. It snuck up on me how fitting they are for events like this, even if their behavior on Paragon-Paul’s side differs. I miss their dialogues with Grayven and last update’s banter wasn’t the same...
    Maybe Alan, Guy and Paul will get to catch up soon instead.

16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Black for black ops. He's going to go killing, seems he feels he can't be a killer in his red public suit.

17. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Seems like it can either be his version of KF's stealth mode and be no joke mode or he is going for a black racer look ti imply he will kill Sheeda and change his view on heroics maybe..

18. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

"intend" perhaps?

19. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Why is Mammon still around? Why do they even let him see their preparations, let alone consider taking him with them? Reformation or not, he's still a demon.

transhumansage likes this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, what people call Strongfat. And he's wearing a corduroy suit, isn't he? With the shirt open to his navel, and maybe a big medallion? Certainly makes for an interesting mental image.

Ah, so Mammon is hell-born rather than a Fallen Angel. I mean, it doesn't make much difference to the things he does. It's just an interesting contrast. Not that Angelica is properly celestial either...

I do hope Batman is wearing something more appropriate to the occasion than his usual light combat gear. This might be a good time to nudge him into Dannering up. Not that he'd take it anyway, control freak that he is.

And now I'm torn between giving Smith the mental voice of Richard Harris (OG Lost in Space) or Gary Oldman (90's movie)... He hasn't even said anything, but I just can't hear that name without thinking of those voices...

Not that they won't regret the killing, they wouldn't be heroes if they didn't. Destroying the castle does leave the problem of the Sheeda being stuck here in this time. Has no-one considered what the Sheeda might do, or are they trusting that Doctor Sivana Senior can track them all down and wipe them out?

He was an early work, after all. I'm sure if you word it properly, he'd let you have a tune-up poke around.

Still, playing along with OL has given him the greatest throne in Hell. Keeping an eye on his enemies will keep him on his toes.

Ah, OL and your talent for reforming villains. I mean, he's still a demon, sure. still heartlessly evil. But at least now he's productively evil.

Like some of their peculiar weaponry and armour? The chance to get his hands on such strange magic and biotech... I can see why he'd want to be involved.

Heh. Of course the Presence has shown it doesn't really care what Hell's doing. Or what Heaven's up to either. I guess it's enjoying the show.

Eh... Just try to not die? Or discorporate. Or whatever demons do in the real world. I doubt OL wants his hard work to subvert the ruler of Hell to go to waste at the hands of a stray Sheeda bolt.

Ah, rigidly heroic as ever, Bats. I bet it's only because he doesn't know what Mammon can or will do out there, huh?

He does know they're not going to him in the end? Or is he planting a little seed of doubt to try and change their destination?

I wonder what he thinks of people like Superman? Or Captain Marvel, whose whole claim to his power is that he was such a good person that Shazam chose him for it.

Heh, if anything it'd earn points the other way. Destroying Evil? More in Heaven's wheelhouse, if the Four Kings weren't busy...

Oh yeah, Puritan. Now I find myself wondering what he thinks of Angelica Blaze, who was a half-demon who sort-of 'repented' to claim heavenly power...

Well, yes, that's his job, after all. His very reason for being. That doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

This is a fancy one, isn't it? Let me guess: pierce the protective spells on Castle Revolving, and teleport them in like a boarding torpedo.

Thought so. Probably how the Renegade's side got the Team in in their timeline...

Oooh, looking very Elite there, Barry. Guess you're planning on joining the Black Ops brigade today?

Has Barry killed anyone in this timeline? I mean, I know there's that storyline in the comics about him having killed Eobard Thawne, but that turned out to be a play by the latter?

I guess that's a good reason. I hope he's ready for the implications of taking a life, even a Sheeda one... I foresee fallout from this..

If not flat-out like using a fire-hose to fill a water balloon.

The joy of waiting for the unskippable cutscene to end. At least you won't have to worry about rewatching it in this playthrough...

Well, this should either succeed spectacularly, or fail amazingly. Either way, it'll be interesting to watch it play out. Bring on the third act! Cue up the heroic Facepunching theme music and... uh, let's skip the big blue space beam for this one... :D

21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

intent -> intend
    I'm surprised they haven't asked Angelika as well... Or did she get to go home? (After so many million words I've forgotten so many details.)

22. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

........ I wish they'd asked Ares.

This is right up his alley.

lywrin, dxdragon and moralrelativity like this.
  23. zeebza

zeebza Making the rounds.

Wait is John a clone or something of Constintine? I've always been confused about that

Alexandercctv and BartlettMagic like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'used'

'His general'

'have actually'

maybe add a comma there 'were the only items, other than Aeres herself, that.

'Intend'

So did these Thanagarians die on Earth, or did Mammon go to another planet to collect them?

Okay, are we ever going to find out who this John is?

Mammon is an extremely powerful entity that the Sheeda may not be prepared for.

I think she's still around, but she may not be going on this mission because she has work to do elsewhere, or she may be trying to cut back on killing as part of her rehabilitation.

25. Agent Orange

Maybe I'm being wrong genre savvy, maybe the Doppelganger(ed) episodes made me paranoid but Flash (who, as a few poster's have noted, doesn't generally kill) appearing just as they are about to start the Castle Ship Assault mission in a goth outfit...

My inner Admiral Ackbar wants to scream his signature line is all I'm saying.

Errr... Angelica is right ther- Oh. You mean the Nazi Supergirl. She's still around I think. The Power of (Offscreen) Friendship made her decide to stay.

DC Ares is a bloodthirsty asshole even in his best comic/animated incarnations. He would fuck them over. Especially if WW's coming along.

'SI doesn't know' And for ReasonsTM he never has enough of a motivation to find out.

Speaking of original (Lord of Chaos) Constantine when the hell will OL check up on him? I know he said he needed some time away after the Nabu mess but it's been a full year since then. And a number of incidents have happened since then where they could've really used a Lord of Chaos-level magician (and no 'Order John' doesn't count). If he quit the hero gig entirely that would be one thing but you'd think OL would at least check up on him. They weren't exactly friends but they did work/conspire for over eight months. OL might be giving him a bit too much space.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'm thinking of the n52 Hellbat armor.

[​IMG]

Sivana is extremely skilled, and at least the Sheeda won't be able to escape and get reinforcements.

If a demon is destroyed in the material universe they reform in Hell.

Or that he's a being made of pure evil who may not help them all that much and may actually harm them.

Yeah Paul mind whammied him and says he can be somewhat trusted, but remember that that was the first time Paul altered someone like that, so Mammon may have shaken it off, and he is also a very old being who most likely has the ability to mask his emotions against empaths.

Ehh, superheroes have sometimes fallen to the darkside, and they may just end up in Hell during a mission and not be able to escape.

Also even if they were Christians, or just one of the Abrahamic ones, getting into Heaven isn't all that easy and the Angels have some very high standards so they may reject them for not meeting every single one.

There may have been others like Captain Marvel in the past, as in people that were highly good that were offered powers from a higher being, like saints.

Three Kings, seeing as one of them betrayed them and was killed.

No, he's a very, very evil guy.

Well the aliens that invaded the planet and brought the League together may count.

27. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yup! The Greek war god you want on your side is always going to be Athena if not Nike, just be sure to wear the right shoes when invoking the latter.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The only good version of Ares I can remember from DC Comics is the n52 one, who mentored Diana and was an ally.

Which makes sense given that the ancient Amazons supposedly worshiped him.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  29. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

That makes a lot of sense.

Ah, yes. Now I remember something about a mentor who's a lesbian in this universe and, to Angelika's surprise, actually a nice person.

IsActuallyBatman, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  30. Agent Orange

If all of the Leaguers on the assault team wore Nike sneakers (granting +2 to Sneak Attacks) someone would accuse Zoat of product placement :D

Err... Sure. That too. But I was talking about the Intense Friendship she and OL have allegedly built up almost entirely offscreen after her introduction episode. I remember just having a Headscrather moment when the Crisis episode started and OL started talking about her as if they are old comrades.

In any case, she's on Earth 16 right now. And probably a part of the Team (which is a bit weird considering she has decades of "superheroing" experience on all of them).

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.