1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

hey, dont judge Barney!
    he helped a coma patient recover from locked-in syndrome after 13 years.

*coughs* i mean, it was primarily due to pure rage/spite after being forced to watch a single episode over and over again by horribly petty/lazy/ carer's but still! barney! cured LIS!

2. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

Yes. That's more or less the core plot of the final season (that and fighting off the villains) and thus vicariously the entirety of MLP:FIM.
    In particular:
    Between Dark and Dawn | My Little Pony Friendship is Magic Wiki | Fandom
    Celestia and Luna leave Twilight in charge of the whole kingdom and go on vacation.
    The Last Problem | My Little Pony Friendship is Magic Wiki | Fandom
    And in the end we get a post-timeskip view of Twilight alone on the throne long term.
    But the subtext is that everything from sending Twilight to Ponyville in the series premier was all to create an alicorn who could take over for her/them someday and train her up to be ready to take on the job. Particularly in terms of temperament and outlook. (The first ep I linked makes clear she hasn't done a good job passing on how to actually do the job. Including just the key insight that it's mostly about delegating.)

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  3. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

...did....they ever come back, or did they just leave her there alone the whole time to outlive her entire family/social circle? o_O that's... a heck of a thing to do to someone you cordially loathe, let alone someone who you mentored as a protege!
    ill admit i never got much into S2 before getting epic sidetracked by a series of real life disasters-that detail took me a little by supprise >.<

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Pinkie Pie admitted that A) She is not the best to help with this and B) That talking to Celestia might help.

So yes Pinkie Pie is doing the best she can.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Pez

Pez Spaceman

Arty is having a hard time readjusting to her old life. If we assume they were in the future for 300 years, that means she spent 95% of her long life there, and it impacted her divinity. She might have been a fledgling God of Arrows before, but she spent so long conqueroring and ruling, that it's become part of her divinity. Now she's a god missing part of her domain. And she's probably now part of Renegade's pantheon, which is why she feels more comfortable near him.

I think Renegade mentioned that he could help her conqueror something, and while it would make her feel more whole, it wouldn't be what's best for her.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

They came back from vacation, but in the finale we see they've retired outright. I'm sure they still visit though. And while Twilight's no longer living with her main group of friends they outright show up to visit in the episode, and it's clear it's a regular thing for them. And I'm sure "Princess of Friendship" Twilight Sparkle has made more by then we don't have time to see. The outliving her friends we don't see (her friends are merely healthy established adults post time-skip) but it's obviously what's in store for her long term.

Gantradies, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  7. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's what I meant. Ever met her back then. He had already decided on his name by the time he went after Clayface.

8. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

I'm actually in the reverse. I lost nearly all interest in Paragon after he Zatanna/star saphire arc. It was only when Sheeda invasion began i really cared again since both stories seemed interwoven. I have 0 interest in MLP as well but i'm not tyrned off by what is here. I read Grayven and put up with Paul while you do the reverse. i find it kind a odd choice to bring her here for therapy, then immediatly ditch her for a private alk. I still think its going to be a herd expansion by end of arc.

Pinklestia and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Over Reaching (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd July 2012
    10:39 GMT -5

They see us coming, of course.

"This is my cause, this is my fight."

The fight's happening about a light-week away from me, and therefore is invisible to the unaided eye as a result. Ring-based FTL sensors provide a more helpful view of my Lanterns blocking shots for the L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet and then moving aside as their return volleys rend apart their Reach opposition.

"Shine through the void with orange light."

My deduction about the magic shields was right, though the archmages weren't even attempting to repair them. Apparently it's completely impractical in the field away from a thaumically active world. Which meant that we had a choice between a slow approach -completely unacceptable- or having me muscle through the anti-Lantern FTL blockers to get us into position within a reasonable timeframe.

"I've claimed all within my sight."

Which means that the Reach now know that I can do that. And not just on my own, but with a strategically useful fleet. And I'm pretty sure that they're going to upgrade their jammers now, certainly around their core worlds.

The Reach's attack craft are dead, but rather than commit to the attack I'm having the Lanterns hold back. The former Darkstars amongst them have taken a particularly vindictive joy in hunting down the handful of Scarab Warriors who've shown themselves outside of their ships, while the rest are under firm instructions to focus on battlefield control. Some work in teams to drag Reach ships around or hold them in place to make them easier targets. Some assist our own crippled vessels in retreating. Some are storming the bastion stations while their fleet is fully distracted, and as one erupts in nuclear fire I immediately notice an increase in tactical agility amongst my Lanterns.

"To keep what is mine, that is my right."

Orange light blazes out of my personal lantern and into my rings, because bulldozing a system designed to stop Lanterns bulldozing it does a number on your energy reserves. As I watch the ongoing fight one squad gets creative and uses a cored Reach battleship as mobile cover. I make a note of the Lantern who came up with the idea and decide to single them out for praise when this is over. Even if it's just a large mass of ablative armour, using something that isn't a construct shield will be a massive saving on ring power, and the Reach knows to target Lanterns who are recharging.

Case in point, the stealthed Scarab Warrior closing in on me who thinks that I can't see through his stealth system.

They stop once my lantern vanishes back into subspace, no doubt deducing that they've missed their window. We have reasonable intelligence on how fast Scarab Warriors can move, and I was careful to stay further than that away from the ongoing engagement. So now the Warrior has to decide whether to keep coming and try to get a lucky shot in, stay where he is, go back to the furball the Reach is currently losing, or flee out of the system. Since L.E.G.I.O.N. is winning I don't need to force the issue. I imagine that Dox would quite like a Scarab Warrior captured either alive or dead so that we can get a better look at one, but I'm still rather peeved with him at the moment.

Casualties on our side appear to be light. Not really committing the Lanterns, ordering them to go slow, has prevented any of them from being killed. The Reach don't appear to have a doctrine for fighting Lanterns and fleets at the same time, probably because the Green Lantern Corps didn't fight like that. Or maybe there isn't much they can do here due to the disparity in the levels of force involved. L.E.G.I.O.N. ships are getting damaged and I'm sure that some of their crew are dying, but their armour and internal bulkheads appear to be working to keep deaths down. All in all, a relatively happy outcome, save for the absence of the supreme commander.

Oh, I may as well deal with this.

Construct armour, construct FTL jammer, construct graviton gun.

"Yes, I can see you."

The Scarab Warrior maintains stealth, but shapeshifts a heavy shield and improved booster array. I create a construct of his exact appearance next to me to demonstrate exactly how thoroughly his concealment has been penetrated.

"That won't work. Surrender, and I am prepared to offer you parole with a neutral third party for the duration of the war. Otherwise, I will kill you."

"I have killed Lanterns before, meat."

"I doubt it. Oh, Scarabs have killed Green Lanterns, but you specifically? I doubt that they'd put a Scarab with that sort of experience somewhere like this, and… Anyway, Green Lanterns are police. Splendid people for the most part, but they're not dyed in the wool killers like we are. And I'm afraid that I'm only meat out of habit these days."

"So?"

He forms his left arm into a gun and I'm moving as it fires, secondary weapons appearing on his shoulders as he jinks in a doomed attempt to avoid my fire. False sensor images and holograms fire in all directions but none of them have desires and at this distance I can see the very particular desire-set of the scarab parasite itself. My graviton gun fires a moment later and hits his shield, which suddenly becomes about a thousand times heavier than it was a moment before. That doesn't harm the Scarab Warrior but it does make a mess of his shapeshifting and flight control. His secondary weapons strike my construct armour to little effect-

I guess Earth really is hard mode.

-as I close the distance, hitting his legs with my graviton gun and effectively crippling his acceleration. As well as probably causing all sorts of unpleasant internal injuries, though the scarab probably doesn't care much about that.

"Surrender-"

The scarab's arm gun fires again, shot passing over my right shoulder while the secondaries target my gun construct. I let it fade.

"-and you will not be killed."

"Die now and I will not burn your world!"

I stop dodging and form a construct shield, letting the scarab fire every weapon it can directly at me. The main gun is… Interesting. It's abrading layers, but I'm using an ablative design and it's… Holding up as well as it does when Guy tries to breach it. The secondaries are actually doing more damage with raw power, and it only takes the scarab about two seconds to notice that and shift its weapon.

I step out

and grab it in a construct clamp the moment I return to the material universe, x-ionised blades cutting weapon morphs and-. Being defied by his armour as he loses mass in favour of molecular reinforcement fields, which prompts crumbler rams from me. A second later and his arms and legs are gone, flesh and directionless armour floating in the void. I take a fraction of a second more to shove them further away, then tear off the secondary weapons with brute force using a draconic claw construct.

The scarab itself is usually located about halfway up the back. I ram ultra-sharp construct blades through its thinning armour and assimila-.

My construct armour is battered as the scarab explodes!

I let it push me away from the centre of the blast, scanning for any residue as I do so. One of the severed arms is in one piece, and we'll be able to identify the host species from the tissue therein. Maybe even the individual if they were from a slave species and we've got their pre-conquest records. But the armour the scarab made is rapidly turning to dust and sloughing off.

Marvellous. Another species with a built-in suicide switch to prevent assimilation. Though at least with the Reach they might reasonably have seen us coming and actually worked on a way to prevent it.

"Illustres to Orange Lanterns in theatre, don't bother trying to assimilate Scarab Warriors. They just self-destruct."

I return my attention to the battle to find that it's mostly over. Several bastions are still in one piece, but they're purely on the defensive and trying to hold out as long as they can. Ships and Lanterns are bombarding them and they can't respond. The few surviving Reach ships are being hunted down and… There goes the last one.

"Flag Captain, you have fleet command. I need to speak-"

Even muted as his mind is, Dox is easy enough to find.

"-to Commander Dox."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  10. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Shouldn't they abuse the self-destruction function?

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'halfway'

Let the shitshow commence.

12. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Don't they need to get close enough to attach a filament to assimilate? Then some of the less resilient lanterns might get hurt.

13. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

14. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Alternatively ... do. They self destruct. Meaning its a way to kill them.

15. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

couldn't OL have first poke into it soul and massage it desire so that it won't self destruct

and then Assimilate ?

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They probably have defences against mental manipulation, so if its system detect something like that they go boom.

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yay, Dox still there!

Though if he truly froze during the battle and was not just cut off somehow that paints a bad light at his suitability as a commander

18. Alasnuyo

Alasnuyo I am always here

I wonder if the scarabs would also self-destruct if he tries remotely tamper with the host and/or symbiote's desires using orange light mysticism.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

20. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Pretty much.

If there isn't some sort of jamming or else a disaster going on by Dox, then he's gonna be in a pretty good bit of trouble.

Handlewithcare and Prince Charon like this.
  21. Gromweld

Gromweld Learning By Mistake

The Scarab AIs are shackled/enslaved by Reach programming, because the Reach are so mustache-twirling evil that they deliberately create sapient AI in their war machines just to enslave them. So even if the Scarab AI and the poor person playing host to the Scarab both wanted to be assimilated (either because Paul messed with their desires or they want to hurt the Reach in any way they can), the countermeasures would likely engage regardless and cause it to self-destruct.

22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not sure what's up with Dox at the moment but looks like we'll soon find out.

I hope there's a plan to actually capture a Scarab in the works, or soon to be so. I'm sure Dox has at least considered magic as a possible option, even with the practical difficulties. That could be a fun long-running storyline (kind of like Paragon and co. working out how to deal with Doctor Fate) and a simpler, more concrete goal for readers to engage with as part of the Reach plot thread.

I suppose strategically Controllers are more useful in their current role of making warships and stuff, but I would like to see one actually take the field at some point in combat.

23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, without the shields to Greedport, of course they'll pick you up on FTL sensors. I expect the Mages are a bit mana-starved right now, eh?

Good to see such coordination between fleet elements. Looks like things are going well.

Thought so. So they'll likely need to capture a nearby planet with enough of a thaumic presence to recover the shields... Or maybe develop batteries capable of holding enough arcane energy to provide them with the necessary power. Until then, they're deep behind enemy lines, and the Reach now they're here. I expect constant harrying attacks as they move, then.

So well done, Dox. your haste has blown the cover of one of your few major advantages. :rolleyes: Hooray.

Heh, their own desires getting reinforced by seeing them successfully filled. Such is the nature of picking people who want to kill Reach forces.

Gold star for those lads, lasses and/or other. The Reach do tend to build their ships tough. The hard part will be making sure wrecks are intact enough to use that way without them still being able to fight.

I See You... </Sauron>

Worth making the attempt at a peaceable capture. But with all the mental constraints and controls they have set, it's not going to be easy.

Yep, Dox is going to be getting yelled at after this. And it will be satisfying as hell, I bet.

Not a significant response. But with OL's construct strength, the Scarab is going to have a hard time breaking them.

'Well, excrement...' The scarab thinks. Yeah, he knows he's screwed, and I bet he can guess just how hard...

Green lanterns. And I doubt it. Oh, this guy (until otherwise revealed...) has no idea how deep he is in the shit, doesn't he?

Which we know will bite him in the ass one day, as seen in the 'Gate' snippets. But that won't be anytime soon...

Bet that was a surprise to him. Especially if he was using weapons specifically tuned to disrupt Green constructs.

Joy of being able to disable your host's pain reflexes. Disabling him is going to take extreme measures, methinks...

Oh, he's getting desperate, isn't he? Surprised there's no visible Fear. But then, the rider is probably damping that alongside the pain...

Good luck finding it, boyo. I have the feeling Earth wouldn't be too happy to see the Reach right now anyway...

Sensible fellow. Smart enough to realise his popper ain't doing shit, and not too proud to give up on a tactic when it's clearly not working.

Too bad for him that OL is just that damn good. The Earth Bullshittm helps, of course.

Huh. that's a surprise. I doubt it was the assimilation specifically that triggered it. A general failsafe against Spectrum energy interference? Or a defence against some other similar power they added in at some point after a particularly messy conquest?

Which raises the question of how they found out he could do that? Did he use any Construct lanterns any previous times the Reach could have observed him? Did they have some reasonable predictions of Spectrum energy abilities, perhaps?

Job's a good 'un, Boss. ;) Cue the victory screen and post-battle scoring tally. Or at least, the Lanterns will probably be celebrating their win...

Ouch, not even calling him Clarissi? Then again, Dox's acting as Fleet staff in this operation, isn't he?

Well, this makes tomorrow likely to be very interesting. And hopefully very loud. Dox had better have a good excuse for his going incommunicado back there... Meanwhile, I expect the fleet mages will be working on getting the Greed-shields back for a quick Greedport evacuation... Assuming they can locate a suitable world...

24. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

is this that same scarab warrior from the show?

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think a lot of the Reach called humans 'meat' so it could be any one of them.

26. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Somehow I doubt the Scarab Warrior gained orange enlightenment during that conversation.

27. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

well i hope it was that dude. he needed to die badly.

28. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

There isn't really much a Controller can do that dozen orange lanterns can't and orange lanterns are much easier to replace. Same reason the Guardians usually don't take the field even when they are doing a full green lantern mobilization.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think that was more him being so powerful that the environment thought he was a god, so it altered him, rather than him just no longer considering himself a piece of meat.

According to some snippets, they may come to Earth, albeit in a different schedule.

Most likely just a defence against mental manipulation.

They may have been observing his Corps and their abilities, and it's also possible that they've studied the Spectrum, since the GLC is one of their biggest enemies.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Remember way back when he invaded that Reach planet to rescue Darkstars from those Scarab Warriors?

Mind you, he's also been flitting around the Galaxy flaunting his abilities to everyone under the various suns. So it wouldn't take a super spy network to purchase various records of those encounters. And that's assuming the Light isn't in contact with the Reach and feeding them known counters to Orange Lanterns.