1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

There are some things you don't do with a robot period.

[​IMG]

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Danette would dispute that.

3. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"listened too closely and got knocked out by Grayven's God-Shouting."
    How embarrassing.

4. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST, FOLKS.
    DANETTE IS CANONICALLY INTO FISTING.

Good for her and Marie, I guess.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'is that your position'

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Really hope they don't suffer like Howard Wollowitz and have Danette just grab her lover and not let go.

Now I'm imagining this happening to Paul if he started dating Danette.

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Talking about that, a orange ring can fix his genetic defects, right?

Gantradies likes this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

if you mean increasing his intellect to be a level twelve like his father, then he may not want to do that.

I asked Zoat this once and he said that he doesn't want to be like his father, so no increase.

Though I don't remember. where he posted it.

10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

OK, a question that I think the regular readers of this fic are well-suited to answer: If I were doing a story or quest that used Godspeech, which would be less annoying, or less likely to throw you out of immersion - using invisitext like Zoat does, but sticking a spoiler box to the bottom of each post that uses it, with the Godspeech and the lines they parallel quoted there without invisitext, or not using invisitext at all, but sticking spoiler boxes with the Godspeech in them below each line that the Gospeech is supposed to parallel?

First version would be something like this:
    Second version looks more like this:

Xmaster3000, Cuchulin, Darko and 2 others like this.
  11. TangerineThing

TangerineThing Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Invisitext is bad and should not be used for this. Spoiler boxes are less bad but still unnecessarily obtrusive. Just use brackets and maybe italics or something.

12. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I'd suggest you to use inline spoilers if you are posting in SB or SV. I have no idea what to suggest if you are going to be posting on QQ.

WereDragon likes this.
  13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I remember Obloquy used something like that whenever New Gods showed up, or something similar to a New God.

It was honestly a bit easier and more convenient than invisible text.

Third Fang on Ff net also did something similar.

Prince Charon likes this.
  14. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Yeah. That should be something like "Try assimilating them if you have trouble, it makes them give up and kill themselves."

Yeah, the guy who decided to make a surprise attack at the same time and place as the Orange Lantern/L.E.G.I.O.N. surprise attack (instead of taking out a second Reach reserve fleet at a different location), also having something prepared to incapacitate Dox in the opening moments is rather believable. Because to even show up here, showed rather in depth knowledge of the Malthusian plans.

A one-two punch from Grayven to make sure he got first blood while the Lantern fleet was momentarily headless is rather believable.And then Dox didn't take back command once he regained consciousness because OL was already handling things adequately, and flop flopping would have been inefficient.

Prince Charon and Xmaster3000 like this.
  15. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

in a monotone "No, Spot, do not turn away. You must watch. "

Darko and moralrelativity like this.
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat explained that only Paul could do it fast enough. Anyone else who tries to assimilate the scarab in the middle of combat will be taken out by Reach forces while they're distracted.

17. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

There are multiple Lanterns here. Seems like a good way to get OK's easily.

Lantern A is engaged with Scarab A.
    Lantern B is engaged with Scarab B.
    Lantern C begins assimilating Scarab A.
    Scarab A is occupied fighting Lantern A and now has to make a choice.

If he keeps focusing on the battle, the assimilation progresses because it isn't fighting the process. At some low assimilation percentage (The one Paul began assimilating exploded almost immediately), Scarab exploded.

OR:

If he focuses on fighting the assimilation, he is distracted in the life or death battle with the Lantern, and gets outmaneuvered and killed.

Either way, until the Reach recalibrate the self-destruct sensor with better protocols so it only explodes at something like 95% assimilation and not 5% assimilation, the self-destruct benefits the OL corps more than the Reach itself.

18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

They don't actually have to finish, just starting it would trigger the failsafe.

Prince Charon and Lord Ernest like this.
  19. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Dox continues to be amazing proof that: Intelligent =/= Smart.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  20. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

color+bracketing, or formatting it in colored italic/bold/monospace would be what id say to use instead,is what i use to indicate different characters speaking in a multicharictering-dense scenario, but im admittedly biased, due to having a tendency to check for updates at like 10-12 pm/am on my phone when im already in bed >.<

21. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The way I understand it, his "father" just made a clone and ensured he had genetic defects that would prevent him for ever being as smart as the original.

Now considering that the original has done quite a lot of stupid things... That's debatable.

Prince Charon and Tyrantviewer like this.
  22. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

Darn. I was hoping for something looking like a net with red diodes in the intersections. Something like this, for the irony.

Vorian, Cuchulin and NightmareWarden like this.
  23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Fictional proof.

24. Tyrantviewer

Tyrantviewer lord of all I survey

Remember how Paul was noticing something whenever Grayven used Godspeach, but couldn't quite parse it? It sounds like Dox can do something simlar due to his experience with magic, but between a lack of experience with such things and the sheer amount of data he was using his ring to percieve, he got overloaded when Grayven showed up and was shouting at reality that he was winning

More like how Dumbledore put it- everyone makes mistakes, but being rather smarter than most people his mistakes are correspondingly larger- Paul reasonably pointed out alternatives to how Dox was doing it, but frankly outside of this specific situation where a whole new sense to compensate for is unknown and the equivalent of a ongoing flashbang shows up, it would have worked fine. Dox is competant enough that his failures are when something he didn't know to compensate for are involved- and unlike Paul he is more int based than wis based so he didn't come to the obvious solution Paul did of getting help- which may be Dox's big flaw, putting too much on himself when he has a large organization to work with, Just because he could micromanage a whole battlefleet with his ring and his brain, doesn't make it without risks and impractical compared to splitting the work.

Frankly this is the sort of mistake that it is reasonable for a very smart person to make- I just hope it isn't indicative of other issues due to Dox taking on too much personally.

25. woweed

woweed Know what you're doing yet?

OK Bruce, get off the alt-account.

26. Threadmarks: Over Reaching (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

3rd July 2012
    10:51 GMT -5

Dox walks confidently back onto the bridge, his eyes focusing not on the other members of the bridge crew or on the main screen, but on the numerous minor status indicators arranged around it. Of course Dox isn't going to be a summary man. The flag captain hasn't taken Dox's seat, so he just strolls on over to it and begins calling up status reports. Bridge crew hesitate uncertainly, then one after another their eyes alight on the shining lights of the empty box attached to his forehead. The light of false comprehension dawning, they return to their duty stations with renewed vigour.

My own entry to the bridge passes largely unremarked, and by the time Brand reaches the command podium everyone is focusing on their tasks. What to do now? Dox will give me an order in a couple of minutes just to reinforce his authority so I can't disappear. I'm getting updates from the ship's computer via my ring, but as Dox demonstrated he's far better at processing that sort of thing than I am. Mundane data, anyway.

I'm not completely convinced that the problem he had was with magic, exactly. But I felt Grayven doing something which coincided with the ship's main gun firing. It's perfectly possible to interact with magic using a power ring and I know that Dox is highly skilled with his. Yes, I've… Been assuming that it would require a level of spiritual awareness that he doesn't have, but I'm happy with the idea that there's more than one route to a skill.

The alternative is that he literally just overloaded his brain with data and actually gave himself a mini-stroke. I doubt that's what happened as his ring should have prevented it as long as he wanted to continue to be aware of the incoming data, but I don't think I'm going to look too closely into it just in case.

Instead, I look out through the hull of the ship at the other Lanterns in the fleet, spread out as they are across this segment of the outer sphere of Reach territory. The gleeful killers and retribution-seekers are raring to go, while the more disciplined ones are simply focused on the job before them. I-

"This is Vril Dox, Supreme Commander of L.E.G.I.O.N. and Clarissi of the Orange Lantern Corps. I have recovered from a minor neural shock created by the Apokoliptian Grayven and am now resuming command of the operation."

I raise my left hand slightly. "This is the Illustres. I yield command."

I then turn, looking back from the way we came, deeper into Reach space. Still don't have a great handle on how they think, and at this distance, without something specific to aim my gaze at, we'd have to have made a much bigger impression than we did for me to see much of anything.

I glance over to Dox and spot that he's moved on to the reports from the Lanterns attacking the periphery. That's as good an opening as any. I walk towards him, and he looks up as I pass through his command station's shield.

"Sir. How are we doing?"

"The Reach ships are pulling back. Most likely, they're going into survival mode until they can get either orders from their regional command or reinforcements."

"They're not just abandoning this part of the periphery? I thought that was how the Reach usually responded to a concerted attack. Those ships could make it to the next periphery region without too much difficulty."

"The most likely reason is propaganda. They know perfectly well that we're going to tell everyone on our side of the periphery exactly what they do with worlds they annex, with all the evidence and testimonies we can gather."

"They're destroying evidence?"

"Or creating a false narrative that we hunted down helpless trading vessels. Or perhaps they don't want to make themselves look weak to periphery worlds not presently aligned with us. The fact that they usually do a thing in a particular way is no indication that they will continue to do so forever. We might not be the first time that they've had to deal with significant opposition but we are the first time that someone has tried to envelop their entire border."

"We could ask-. Some of those Lanterns to take ships in one piece. If they're just armed merchantmen and there aren't any Scarab Warriors present, it's a manageable risk."

"No, we need them here."

He brings up a holographic image of a… World the Reach seized a generation or two ago. I'm not seeing much in the way of defences, which makes sense. We're the main threat to the Reach in this region, and they wouldn't put defences that could stop us on a world they don't particularly care about. They'd much rather counterpunch us with ships and scarabs than build fixed defences they can't support.

"What, all of them?"

"No, just the ones reliable enough to trust to do anything complex with their rings."

Fair point. Ragnar is a great fighter and master-at-arms, but I'm still not sure that he'd turn down an opportunity to duel with a Scarab Warrior in order to do something of strategic value. And most of the others… Their self-control isn't good enough to ensure that they'd stick to the mission with the orange light influencing them. Normally that's fine, but it does somewhat limit our options in situations like this.

"So what's special about it?"

"The dominant intelligent species is still populous and -to the best of our knowledge- unmodified."

I frown. "Collaborators?"

"We don't have any pre-annexation records. They weren't fond of other species before the Reach absorbed them, and the local monitoring was too good for a Darkstar team to penetrate for long enough to learn anything until recently. There should be a team there now, and we'll get a data burst once we arrive."

"You wouldn't be putting this level of resource in on the off-chance. What do you think is happening?"

"Material resources are plentiful in the universe. Energy is freely available in any of a hundred different ways. The Reach aren't primitive raiders like the gordanians or philosophical obsessives like the Apokoliptians. If they're holding a planet contrary to their usual manner of operating, there's something unique there that they want."

"You read my reports on the future of my own species, I assume."

"Certainly." Gosh, he's mellowed out all of a sudden. "And that's the approach I would expect them to take. Breeding a species for a useful trait if they can't engineer it into themselves or a device, and conditioning them to loyalty. That doesn't appear to be what has happened here."

"I assume that you want me on it?"

"I want you on the planet supporting the Darkstar team the moment we know what's going on."

I nod.

"Speaking of useful traits, do you know what's happening on Colu at the moment? The last I heard, a Green Lantern Honour Guard strike force was attacking the Computer Tyrants."

"Coluans would make better analysts than most alternatives. If they were willing to work with me."

"You're not even biologically identical to your tissue donor."

"He isn't biological any longer. But that's beside the point. And irrelevant. The Green Lanterns managed to land on Colu and destroy the Computer Tyrant defence force, but the majority of the population remain locked in the simulations. And with the Computer Tyrants effectively running on their neural structures and adapting to the Green Lantern Corps' attempts to extract them, it's a deadlock."

"Nothing you can do to help?"

"I'm the most intelligent Coluan there has ever been, but I can't outthink a billion other Coluans running in parallel."

"Do the Computer Tyrants have radio telepathy?"

"Not a version that's compatible with an unmodified organic brain."

"The Martians do owe us a few big favours. We could probably telepathically transfer people out of the simulation. Reduce the Computer Tyrants' hardware capacity."

"I'll give it some thought. Hm." He changes a screen, and turns the sound dampening around us right down. "We're being intercepted by a security fleet. Mercenaries. Capture as many as you can for questioning."

Check position… Feel them.

"Certainly, sir. Back shortly."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  27. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

This is interesting. Given that the Martian leadership like that Prelate Paul spoke to when he visited Mars has had the info on the origins of their species and the conflict with the Guardians of the Universe, can something now be done about the general conditioning on the Martians with the majority not leaving their world?

28. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Should we be reading into the fact that Dox's emotional responses are expanding from single letters to whole words now?

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Dox back in action. I suppose a tenth level intellect also recovers much faster from shock?

It's odd how little they are focused on capturing enemy intelligence. They seem almost blase about what the Rech counter strategy might look like.

30. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

...Magic? Is this planet one of the few magical planets, which the Reach wants to use?