1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Assuming that nobody noticed them, which between the Watchtower, the five Lanterns, six when Paul is there, and the Light, is extremely unlikely, the device would still be detected the second it started building up power and would be dealt with
    Okay I know you have some sort of weird hate boner for this story but you have to realise that you’re talking total nonsense right?

The OLC is a completely distinct entity from the GLC, evident by the fact that there are no Green Lanterns on the frontline and again just because there are one or two humans working for the OLC in absolutely no way means that Earth is immediately affiliated with the war

Then there’s also the fact that even in your own strange interpretation of events the GLC still ends up going to war with the Reach because regardless of if the Reach does these strange mental gymnastics you’re suggesting to justify an attack on Earth the GLC would still view it as a blatant violation of their treaty

Ngamer11 and BlueMangoAdea like this.
  2. Threadmarks: Over Reaching (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

3rd July 2012
    12:02 GMT -5

A crowd stares up in a mixture of hope and dread as the incubator takes shape. Since it would take far too long to ship an incubator in, Dox decided to solve the problem by handing orange rings to a cross section of expectant parents and 'egg tenders' and providing them with copies of the plans. That also serves to rather neatly prove that we've got no interest in holding their young hostage while also giving them a taste of the power of a power ring.

Not all of them are… Coping well, and I can see that I might have to disarm some of them before too long, but-

The first huge incubator network is complete, some of the temporary Lanterns flying at once towards the next site, while others remain on station as if daring me to fail to hold up my end of the bargain.

-they're performing well enough for now.

And we will repay them by fulfilling their desires.

An orange ripple passes over the structure, eggs at various stages of development reappearing as they were the moment they left, my ring and the Ophidian checking that their status is exactly as desired. The deputised locals swarm forwards, orange strobes and mundane senses rushing to confirm my work.

Jade watches cautiously.

"I didn't know you could do that."

"Life is a marvellous learning experience."

Her eyes narrow slightly.

"Have you done that before?"

"No. But between myself, the Ophidian, the shields the Venturians made and my understanding of the orange light, it was fairly… Intuitive?" I smile and raise my eyebrows. "Want a go?"

She looks around at the slightly erratic deputy Lanterns standing guard over the eggs.

"I think I'll pass."

"You know… Now the war's started…" I nod my head to the right. "It's been over a year since your release."

"Yes. You missed the anniversary."

"No. When we met, when we started dating, those are important anniversaries. When you got released is less important than when you chose to take a bullet for M'gann, because that was a choice. After you made it, it was inevitable that you'd get released."

"You always blow that out of proportion."

"Do you want to mark your release from prison?"

"Do you want to give me superpowers?"

"No."

"Oh?" She raises her eyebrows. "But you're offering anyway."

"I'm a pernicious individualist. It has to be your choice."

She looks away, eyes flicking from one part of the crowd to another.

"Thanks."

"Of course, there are other options. I have no hang-ups about you getting a power ring, and I'm pretty sure that Dame Carol could get you a violet ring."

"Mom's from Vietnam, not Japan."

"The Zamarons aren't prejudiced. And you've got no idea how smug I'd feel if you started making constructs powered by your love for me."

Jade gives me a small smile. "I have some idea. But why exactly is it that you don't want to give me super powers?"

"A ring is a device that you'd have to work to master, the same as every other Lantern. You know I got my ring by pure luck. Alan got his the same way… You wouldn't feel indebted, or… Violated."

"That's why you don't think I want it. That's not the same thing."

I close my eyes for a moment, exhaling softly through my nose. Then I step towards her, putting my arms over her shoulders and bringing my face closer to hers.

"Because I know you. What you value, how you think about me, about… Well, Ra's al Ghul."

"Not going with Dad, there?"

"No, that's personal. Ra's had plenty of followers, and…" I glance upwards at where a chunk of the L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet lurks over the city. "Now I do, too."

"You've had those for a while."

"But you didn't see me with them. And since I know that saying I wanted to give you super powers would make you feel inadequate and saying I didn't would make you feel like I was holding out on you, I think that my current tightrope routine between all of the people you don't want me to be is the best approach."

She looks… Not annoyed. Curious, maybe.

"So you're saying that everything's a front; you'll say whatever you need to say to make me… Whoever I want to be."

"Oh, no, there's a real me here as well. But I exist in the patterns and approaches, not the individual actions or phrases. There is nothing I won't do but there are objectives I won't pursue. Things I don't want. I love the Jade you are and the Jade you will make yourself. I don't love a Jade who lives in my head that I'm trying to turn you into."

She smiles, and I feel her relax slightly.

"You know, I've warned my entire squad against dating empaths?"

"Dating your entire squad would be a lot of ways to split my time. Not.. that.. they're unattractive"

"Better them than my mother."

"Oh, no, between the two options Paula's definitely the be-."

I see her roll her eyes for a fraction of a second before she pulls my head down, pressing our lips together. Between her armour and mine, we're not really able to hold each other close here, but I treasure every moment we-.

"Clarissi Dox to Illustres. Are you experiencing any difficulty?"

We separate and she steps away, returning her helmet to her head as she takes off in the direction of her squad.

"Illustres here. No, no trouble." I take another look at the eggs. "The first batch of returned eggs are unharmed, and I'll be moving to restore the rest once they've built the incubators. How are negotiations with the government going?"

"Adequately. They have no desire to work with us, but they would rather have us here than the Reach. Assuming that you are able to complete your work, I believe that I'll be able to secure this world for our alliance."

"Mission accomplished, then?"

"Yes. For today."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  3. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

4. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

What's the betting spread on the Reach bitch Paul let go being part of the Reach party that goes to Earth at some point? I want Paul to tell some UN diplomats the amusing story of how the Reach laced the eggs of this alien race they were harvesting drugs off of with explosives and how the situation was resolved with no loss of egg life.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That is not a healthy relationship...

gustyeagle likes this.
  6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

This is not the time for sex Paul.

Maybe later.

'we started'

This is surprising.

Is this because the whole anime thing with the power of love and girls getting magic objects that run off of the power of love?

'whatever you need to be to make me'

And based on the Spider Queen we know physical appearance doesn't matter all that much to you.

7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Heh, gaining a pool of recruits as well as a potential ally in the Reach periphery. And it lets the people see they have a stake in their future.

As if OL would. After all, they're more useful on his side than not. And he wouldn't want to offend them in that case.

Heh, Best Snek in a good mood having tasted a new set of Lantern's desire, I see. This must be a fun day for her...

Since if anything's gone wrong, she'll be amongst the people having to shoot their way out of there.

And he's had plenty of things giving him ideas.

Not on such a large scale, certainly. I'd hope he'd at least have tested the move on a smaller scale...

Yeah, usually it's not the girl being inside the boy... I mean, OL might swing that way, sure. But would Jade?

Heh, he's come a long way in what, two years? If that? And the impact on the world around him... Never mind seeing all the Alternates who've had their own adventures...

And we all know how OL is about choice.

Hey, saving someone's life is never a bad thing, after all.

Now, if she wants superpowers, he'll do his best to facilitate it. But he'd never force it on her. I don't doubt there's still a little concern and regret over his empowering of Robin and Artemis...

And she's not sure she wants them yet. Whether she feels she's earned them yet, or if she feels she needs to keep up with him, he'll know that.

Ooh, a rare display of affection from her. Amidst a crowd of empaths, too... She has come a long way...

Ah, no wanting to 'punish people in the name of love!'? I mean, I'm sure she could program up a nice combination of gothic lolita dress and combat armour...

Like I said: He can see she wants to feel as if she's earned powers...

But would you object if, say, a Violet Ring came flying out of the sky and declared 'Jade Nguyen of Earth, you have great love in your heart.'?

Empaths, eh? I bet he can see her slight irritation at the public display of affection, too...

Hey, you earned them. Ra's? I'll bet a lot of the League of Shadows/assassins/whatever were kidnapped as children and brainwashed into serving.

Yes, he's dancing through a literal emotional minefield here...

It's what he does for everybody, really. It's his thing, after all. Some people just need more help than others.

And his Enlightenment makes him literally incapable of pursing something he doesn't want, unless it would lead to something he does. Such is being an Orange Light Shaman...

I'm sure each of them is quite attractive, in their species' fashion. After all, nothing helps looks like a snazzy uniform.

All the funnier because there are Pauls dating Paula. Common Sense OL, at least?

And duty calls, literally. :rolleyes: Great timing, Dox...

I mean, it's not like it takes him any real amount of time to get from place to place, or recall the eggs themselves... Better he take a moment to himself than be standing around waiting for incubation chambers to be finished.

Not quite the victory Dox wanted, but a victory nonetheless. He'll have to get used to changing conditions out there...

A nice little breather to wrap up the beginning of the War. And more or less finish the episode too, it seems. It'll be interesting to see where it goes next. I doubt future operations will go quite this way...

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless they're evil of course.

Technically they can only see avarice and not the other emotions, only Paul can do that.

Probably.

Imagine paragon and Common Sense having a double date.

The awkwardness would be perfection.

Eh, they beat the Reach here, secured the trust of those on their side and the Lanterns got a training exercise.

All in all a fairly good outcome.

9. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Aww, what's more romantic than having a complex philosophical discussion with your partner about identity, manipulation and the trappings of emphatic powers :3

10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I dunno, my wife and I have had some pretty good conversations on similar subjects. The person you're talking to is way more important than the subject matter. :p

11. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

How exactly can this adventure (or this planet’s confrontation) be turned into a song? I’m getting a headache imagining Paul’s potential story for the Themyscirans the next time he visits. Hmph, at least Eris will enjoy the bizarreness of the musical bits earlier.

Cuchulin and BartlettMagic like this.
  12. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

"And then I baked them a giant cake, which would have gone over better had they not learned the traditional recipe and taken great offense."

RamiroGalletti, BBJimmy, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    He'd only be her stepfather. It's not incest.

The Nineites Marvel animated series version has a similar issue: he's dating Rogue.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That's interesting to note. Will Avengers:EMH!Paul meet 90s Marvel Paul and trade notes, to their fascination but the Rogues' disgust?

Darko likes this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Yes. Once. They were both creaped out by it, EMH Antony pointing out that if people saw them in public they'd probably assume that older Rogue was younger Anna-Marie's mother REALLY not helping.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Some sort of crossover event? Could you give a short summary of how they met up? Also, I would have thought that, as someone who's personally experienced multiversal travel, that the Pauls would understand that some things are very different between the universes. Or do they intellectually understand that but are grossed out regardless?

Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

I haven't written it, though that version of the SI might show up as an aside in an episode or two.

18. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

No relationship is truly healthy mate.

19. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

I don't think violet is Jade's colour. It would clash horribly with the whole edgy ninja catgirl assassin thing she has going on. We know Blue makes her nauseous. We already saw Jade Lantern Jade and Green Lantern Jade. Yellow might work (because fear goes with everything) but Sinestro ain't sharing and Kalmin wants to make new things not remake old. That leaves us with Red and Black. This Jade doesn't look particularly angry but Red is the only part of the spectrum without a local user so why not. I'm sure Pavlos could ask Raul for a recommendation with the Inversions. Alternatively Black. Black is definitely Jade's colour. It's edgy enough to fit her previous job and dark enough to fit her current one. Zaul parted on good terms with the others right? I'm sure all of the Maltusian factions would appreciate having a Black Lantern allied with the OLC running around, right?

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

But it's still awkward as hell.

Ahh and the grossness continues.

Yeah, they probably understand that intellectually some things will be different, but seeing some of those things is a whole other matter.

Paragon may react okay to it, but remember he's not exactly normal anymore.

The other Paul's are also probably fairly different compared to an average human, but paragon is on a level of his own when it comes to being weird.

Hopefully.

And I also want to see MCU Paul.

Well they can just take Sinestro's ring and Kalmin is willing to make things that he previously did if you can pay him the correct price.

He is apparently willing to make Kori a blue ring, provided they bring him Sinestro's head.

Speaking of that, Zoat will paragon Kori get her own blue ring in this story?

Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

I have no plans for her to do so.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Really hope you do give her one in the future.

Paul likes to see those around him achieve their full potential and Kori is much better at using a blue ring than an orange one, so she would most likely greatly improve herself with a ring that better suits her and her personality.

If not a blue ring then a violet one may also work, due to her loving nature, or even an indigo ring, due to her compassionate nature.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Assuming they start recruiting people who are actually compassionate instead of people who have none at all.

24. Agent Orange

She can timeshare with Alan until Pavlos gets of his ass and kills Sinestro.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  25. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I sort of wonder how much more powerful an Indigo Lantern who wasn't naturally a psychopath would be, when compared to all the other Indigo Lanterns. It's like deliberately recruiting weak-willed pushovers for the Green Lanterns.

26. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Hmm, Anti-Red ring? How would that work?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Well Kyle Rayner, and I think John Stewart, were recruited to join them, so it may happen here.

Prince Charon likes this.
  28. Agent Orange

Ok, how did you get the 'anti-' part from that sentence?

Not very well. Anti-Red rings can detect any angry person within sector-sized volume and ring blasts calm them down by default. You have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to actually use them since it has a very low anger threshold and automatically blasts the user when they cross it. They... weren't very popular to say the least.

Anything may happen here if you take popular Lantern characters as standard Lanterns. They keep jumping teams so often that it makes distinct lights pointless. They aren't the most Stubborn/Angry/Compassionate people in the Sector, they are simply individuals with the greatest potential to use the Glow. At least that how I like to square that circle.

29. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Another conversation about Jade getting superpowers.

I wonder if the twist will be that she eventually manages to get her hands on a damaged Reach scarab and becomes this universe's version of Blue Beetle. Or maybe the Reach implants her with a scarab to use her against the SI, and he has to free her from its control, or something like that. I'm just feeling like with Jade one of the most prominent characters on the front lines of the Reach stuff, her becoming a "Beetle" feels thematically appropriate if she does end up getting super powers.

Ngamer11, BlueMangoAdea, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  30. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

I have a genuine question which will sound like sarcasm, like I'm taking a dig at you, but I'm being 100% sincere and serious.

Can you name a single aspect of With This Ring you wholeheartedly enjoy? It seems like you just straight up hate this story, and I wonder why you continue reading if you do.