1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's a link to the first chapter of jim in Earth Bet.

Though Zoat mentioned how he got there after a reader asked and I don't remember where it was exactly, so you may have to read through several pages before you find it.

2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, he may not be the most powerful but honesty I am tired of reading fictional characters that do not have an in story reason to make stupid choices make those stupid choices.

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Ah yes, the thinly disguised self insert that is "I am not Starfire."

That's not canon, to anything, DC has officially disavowed it from anything even remotely connected to their actual comics.

Idkusername and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Hotcoco

Hotcoco Making the rounds.

I was more thinking of the first time that Paul was seen, the thunder cats area. If someone could give me a chapter name for it that would be nice.

Cuchulin likes this.
  5. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

GOOD!!

6. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's the link.

7. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I’m going to be very happy if that’s the case, but since it’s you, I did a little google search and couldn’t find anything referencing that in the first 10-15 results on both the normal search and the news tab.

So, once again, citation please.

Cuchulin and Assblaster5000 like this.
  8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Directly from the author herself...

Cuchulin, Idkusername and Vanathor like this.
  9. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

What I thought was being referenced is the Red Hood and the Outlaws run under the nu52.

Been a while, but if I remember correctly, this comic was her reintroduction into DC with Nu52, and the very first issue established that she had no memory of the Titans, nor of Dick Grayson. She fucks Roy Harper at the drop of a hat, and humans all look alike to her and are nothing more then entertainment. And she spent most of the issue in a outfit that made even her old numbers look Puritan by comparison.

Needless to say, while the T&A got a lot of attention, it was also a huge middle finger to the established character and there was backlash. They went on to Retcon her as remembering some stuff and the whole bimbo routine was some coping method she was doing. And then she magically got her full memories back, she got to be something that at least could be called Starfire-ish when they were done. Sorta.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Thanks.

But again, DC hasn’t hasn’t disavowed it, or declared it non-canon after the fact. Your post made it seem that DC changed it stance due to audience backlash, whereas this makes it seem like an Elseworlds-esque story.

kerleth likes this.
  11. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Man, how many different continuties are there just to DC? Young Justice, two Teen Titans cartoons, the Juatice League cartoon, old Super Friends cartoon...

12. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

What are you on about? There's only one Teen Titans cartoon. Are you counting the movie?

I swear, you sound as crazy as the people who claim that M. Night Shamamallama of all people made an A:TLA movie.

13. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

In my experience the worst are those quacks that say they made a second Pacific Rim movie. It would make more sense to make a second The Thing since at least there the story wasn't technically wrapped up.

AidanMorgan and Mr Zoat like this.
  14. Threadmarks: The Other Half (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

12th July 2012
    12:39 GMT -2

Calvin Durham is a decidedly unhappy-looking man.

"You got Black Manta a pardon, and now you want me to talk to him. Is that what you're saying?"

"I'm saying that since he's been pardoned, he can come and talk to you whenever he wants. He can't break into your house without breaking the law, and he can't attack your person or property without dying horribly, but there's legally nothing to stop him standing on the nearest public thoroughfare and waiting for you."

I bow my head slightly and rub my forehead.

"In all honesty, I thought that he wouldn't want to ever see you or Sha'lain'a again."

"But you knew he'd want to talk to Kaldur."

"Of course I knew he'd want to talk to Kaldur. Kaldur's his son. And yes-." I raise my hands to forestall his interruption. "I realise that you're the man who raised him. I've adopted several children myself. But Mister Hyde is alive and wants to be part of his son's life, something that isn't true of the natural relatives of my own children."

"Black Manta is a serial killer."

"And as his junior gunnery officer you killed how many people? Look, you benefited from the whole 'pardon' thing when you turned over a new leaf. If you're complaining about Hyde using the same law you did, one, that's pretty hypocritical, two, welcome to a monarchy."

"There's a difference in scale."

"Which is why you're not under suspended sentence of death like he is."

"I got pardoned because I risked my life to help Atlantis. He got pardoned because going after him was too much trouble!"

Ah… I nod. "Not inaccurate."

Okay, there's no point trying to play up the 'kidnapped his son' angle-.

Kidnapped his son. Kidnapped her daughter. No wonder Queen Clea gets on so well with him. Can't believe I didn't spot that one before now.

"So how exactly is it the same thing!?"

"Bluntly, because as important as your family drama is to you, it doesn't really matter to me. My interest is primarily in getting David Hyde working for me in a useful capacity. I didn't think he'd bother talking to you, but he's got his heart set on having it out with you verbally just once."

"And Kaldur?"

"He's going to try bonding with him. Which he wanted to do the moment he found out that he had a son."

"And if Kaldur tells him to get lost?"

"It's kind of hard to have father-son bonding time when one party isn't interested." Um. "Once that party is over the age of fifteen. Though, again, I'd be surprised if Kaldur has ever given you a hard time about your criminal record. In fact… If I remember correctly, he was rather proud of your service to Atlantis, so… Maybe Kaldur does tell him to get lost and that's all that happens."

"But he wants to talk to me first."

"He wants to talk to you and Sha'lain'a first. I… Got the impression that he hates her more than you. Because while you weren't the first time someone jumped ship or turned state's evidence on him, she was the first time someone did that while carrying his son."

"What the hell makes you think I'll let that happen?!"

I hold up my hands in a surrender gesture.

"I've told him I think it's a terrible idea and that it won't help his position at all, but he's been holding this in for seventeen years and I think that a single conversation is the least bad thing that could happen. I mean, isn't there anything you've wanted to say to him?"

"What, about his habit of riling up angry unemployed black men from dying cities with racist rhetoric and luring them into a life of crime?"

I nod. "Yes, that sort of thing. And maybe Sha'lain'a has something she wants to say about fully informed pre-coital consent. Or about how much and why she wants him to stay away from Kaldur. Look, he literally dies if he starts anything beyond a verbal row. This isn't going to ever exactly be fun, but.. it.. is going to happen."

"Pff." He shakes his head. "Shit. You're right, aren't you?"

"Yeah. Sorry." I shrug. "Like I said, I told him it was a bad idea."

"He wants to talk to both of us?"

"Yes."

"Together, or..?"

"Together. He's just going to be there on his own. Obviously it'll have to be somewhere where there's air. Though…" That's not a bad idea. "For efficiency, you might want to bring Kaldur along as well."

He frowns, then his face relaxes slightly as he considers the idea.

"You think that'll help?"

"I can't give unbiased advice to one party while I'm already involved with the other. But Kaldur loves you and his mother. Him being there is just about the only thing I can think of that might get Mister Hyde to rein himself in. Though… The negative side is that it might make Kaldur see that while his natural father is a violent mercenary, it might also make him see exactly how much Mister Hyde wanted to be his father from the start and remind him that I'm the first one to tell him that you weren't his natural father."

"If not for you, he could have gone his whole life not knowing."

"I didn't tell him because I wanted to make sure Mister Hyde could get a spare kidney, I told him because I think he has a right to know. It's not like Mister Hyde didn't know Kaldur was his son."

"How did he know that?"

Huh. Mr. Hyde can read and speak Atlantean Greek, but he doesn't have gills and doesn't know how to use Atlantean magic. In fact, as far as I know, none of his crew can pass as natives. I haven't really wanted to get more involved in his family drama than I absolutely have to so I haven't pressed him on the issue.

"If I had to guess, he knew roughly where the two of you lived and either sent someone or sent a drone to keep an eye on you. After he started working with Ocean Master he could easily have got one of his supporters to hang around. But that's just a guess; I only actually met the man a few months ago. Why don't you ask him?"

"You really think he'll answer me?"

"I can't think of any reason for him not to. He can't be prosecuted for any crimes committed in Atlantis prior to his pardon, so there's no reason for him to cover it up. That would sort of depend on the meeting involving adults discussing things rationally, rather than everyone screaming at each other."

He sighs.

"Fine. Where does he want to have this meet up?"

"He didn't say. Do you have a preference?"

He shrugs.

"I don't have any kind of life on the surface."

"I can lend you a meeting room in my base if you like. Or I can prevail upon him to pick somewhere sensible."

"If I'm asking Kaldur to come along, I should talk to him first."

I nod.

"I can open a portal to Mount Justice if you like. He shouldn't be busy at this time of day."

He considers for a moment, then nods.

"Yeah. I wouldn't mind seeing where Kaldur works, and I don't want to let Manta think about it."

Mother Box?

Ping.

A hush tube opens, and I gesture to it with my right hand.

"After you."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I don't get how involved Grayven is here.

Hyde is just one random human man. He can literally build minions more useful.

If Kaldur is considered a friend, he should have helped keep Hyde far away

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I saw red and got super excited for another Titans snip...

But then it turned out to just be Renegade...

Ariadog, Cap'nSmurfy and zeebza like this.
  17. Queshire

Well the idea was floated in a previous update that it's his brand of Conquest acting up. It's not enough to own stuff. He needs to improve it, and on some level he sees Manta as one of his.

18. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Which made you even happier to see BEST PAUL!

Doc Sithicus, DAT_NOOB and JoTa34 like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

True, but such a minion wouldn't be human, and the Light's project is the uplift of the human species.

20. Handlewithcare

And their start point is a random serial killer merc whose pardon anatagonises the wider Atlantis?

Typical supervillain reasoning

21. Mr Zoat

He's not a serial killer.

If you think there's someone better, name them.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You told him Big G.

He wasn't sure Kaldur was his until you told him.

'hang around'

So that's a thing here too.

23. Queshire

Wait, Grayven's sticking to that instead of just treating it as a wink-wink-nod-nod?

infinityDivided likes this.
  24. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Gotta be honest, same reason why I didn't get why Aquaman was so mad that he didn't know about his lost son, I don't get why Black Manta is so mad about this. I mean, couldn't he have tried to contact Kaldur on his own when he found out that they were related? Why are you mad about finding out about an unknown child? Should have been more careful about where you were "spreading it about", as it were, then!

Cuchulin likes this.
  25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, Renegade letting the step-father know Manta's going to be visiting, eh? Probably a good idea if only to prevent any unwanted violence on his part. After all, having Manta show up on your doorstep unannounced might warrant just a bit of concern.

In other words, he will be having a conversation with you, Cal. Whether it happens on your terms or his is up to you. Unless Poseidonis has anti-loitering laws...

You can never predict how someone will react when family is involved. Even family you've never met.

And he is clearly not willing to take 'No.' for an answer from you, Cal. Again: Do you want him seeking out Kaldur somewhere else, where you aren't present to explain things? Honestly, given Kaldur's chosen careers, I see that ending poorly.

True. But Cal earned his pardon by fighting for Atlantis. After turning against Black Manta, at that.Manta's basically bought his pardon by way of Queen Clea... Besides, Cal's a little upset right now, I don't think he's going to think so logically, Grayven...

At least it stops him attacking Atlantis again. Personally, definitely, I'm not entirely sure how the spell would interpret subordinates doing something he wasn't aware of but Magic's smart that way...

Gee, two people bonding over common ground. Who'd have seen that coming? :rolleyes: You know, Grayven, for such a smart guy, you can be real dumb about people...

As long as it stays verbal only. Honestly, is it too much to ask for, though? If it gets Manta working on the side of Good.. or at least the side of Grayven.. Would meeting him on neutral ground be that bad?

Which honestly makes Manta sound like a surprisingly good man, really. You just know he's thinking of his relationship with his own father, and how easily it got cut short. Doesn't change the fact he was a wanted terrorist until the pardon, but hey...

The hard part is knowing whether Manta will accept that answer. Again, reactions and family. I doubt he'd immediately backslide, though.

And I rather suspect he made it the last by never opening up to anyone like that again. Which means dating Clea is probably good for him.

Yes, we know Cal probably couldn't do much damage if he attacked Grayven... But when someone's yelling at you, you generally don't think about things like being nigh-indestructable.

Well, that isn't exactly a good thing, no. I'm sure he'll lay off on that in future. Grayven can probably get him a far better class of recruit. But, once again: Family and reactions. Still, better he do this now than let it stew until he does something foolish.

Yes. Yes, he is. And that realisation seems to have stripped away a lot of Cal's anger at the situation. That's good, it'll let him work with a clear head when he tries to explain this to his wife. :confused: I suspect she will be far more upset...

That would be a good idea... I suspect Queen Clea would have words for Manta if he didn't involve the mother of his child in all this. Considering her own issues on that front.

Would you want to have this sort of conversation more than once if you didn't have to? There may be some yelling involved, but better to get it all sorted out at once...

Aye, that's the million-dollar question, isn't it? Will it make Manta leave you alone once and for all? Quite likely. Especially if Kaldur rejects him. Will it make him happy? :( Probably not...

Oooh, right. That happened, didn't it? Well, Kaldur is a sensible young man. You can trust him to make sensible decisions... Just keep your fingers crossed, I think.

Which is a question that needs answering: How? The most likely is that Manta received info from the Light's files that hinted at it. Kaldur's parents would be included in his information. The next question then would be how he confirmed it...

And would he have told you anything at that point? Remember, Grayven, he's not working for you out of friendship.. yet. This whole thing might go a ways to improving that.

What makes you think he won't? Hell, I rather expect him to be very clear about how.

Hopefully having the pardon's failure condition hanging over his head will make Manta more restrained. It's up to the Durhams to be the bigger persons, then.

And it'd be hard for Manta to meet up in Poseidonis, unless they can rent a dry room somewhere...

Yes, showing some good sense there. I rather imagine Kaldur would like to be involved in the decision-making here. After all, he's an adult, at least by Atlantean laws...

Hopefully after calling ahead. You may not be undercover as hostile to the League anymore, but there's still the matter of tensions with the Team...

Heh, kind of a reverse 'take your kid to work' day...

Now to see what welcome he gets...

And so our 'A' plot starts to become clear. This could have some interesting effects down the line. It'll be interesting to see the actual meeting, if only for how tense it starts out. Thankfully, the spell linked to the pardon prevents any violence on Manta's part, but there's still going to be some damn strong words exchanged, I'll bet...

"Black Manta is a serial killer."
    "And if Kaldur tells him to get lost?"

Osserumb, PDV, Assblaster5000 and 9 others like this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.
    Damn. There's a perfect scene from Monarch of the Glen for this, but the series is too old for the good clips to be on YouTube.
    Thank you, corrected.

27. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Are you sure? YouTube has a lot of stuff on it.

If all else fails, you could look for a transcript of the scene and post that.

28. Mr Zoat

It's where Golly speaks to Jess about not being in her life. If it exists, I can't find it.

29. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Though, I believe. "Thought for efficiency you might want to bring Kaldur along" didn't make much sense as a word choice.

30. Handlewithcare

Almost anyone else? A person without a supervillain history maybe? A firefigfhter, a medic, a doctor?

Ardy likes this.