1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah... Oh, this is going to be interesting. What's CS!OL going to have to say here, I wonder? And how much hilarity can be had by derailing just about every prison-related trope in the process?

Kind of an odd idea, but given the results CS!OL has had... They may get more than they expected out of it.

Well, then. What to do, what to do...

No, Batman took the Terror Twins in. It's not Belle Reve's fault they didn't check...

Also, isn't Belle Reve a long-term confinement facility? Why would Batman take them there if he'd just captured them? Was it just because of their physical strength? And well spotted, Artemis. Apparently Common Sense isn't just a superpower, it's a contagious one!

Hell, for that matter, did they bother to check Batman was who he said he was? Aren't there super-powered copycats and infiltrators running around? Seriously, it's like 'put on a fancy mask' and people just switch off their common sense.

Heh. The Bat-family doesn't know Joker's origin, do they? Beyond...

...That. I suppose that one comic story where some amateur college-level criminologists work out the Red Hood thing after an on-campus robbery happened here.

In one version of the story. As the Joker himself put it: Multiple Choices are always more fun!

Like I said: Dress up as a bat, people just lose all their common sense and suspicion.

But even those can be faked. Especially by a Martian. Or Magic. Also: Money. Belle Reve does not have unlimited budget.

I suspect they're thinking too low-tech. Kryptonian tech. Martian-trained telepathy. Magic. Surely CS!OL has been poking the respective parties?

o/` Under the sea, under the sea... o/`

Doesn't sound like a lot, but that's a decent amount of money, I understand?

Well, Orin does have a diplomatic department, doesn't he?

Oh, boy. There's a loaded statement...

That was lucky. CS!OL's nudging him to be more proactive telepathically? Also: Cults like that never turn out well. Consider the Judges of Mega-City One. They seem to turn up a few extremists now and then. Though they do deal with hell.

And the mere suggestion would probably be more than a little worrying to some of the League, no matter how sensible it is. Also: Earth is not advanced enough to develop and maintain that without off-world assistance.

Mars, CS!OL? Just one problem there...

...True. But it's not like they want neighbours like that. Can you imagine the mental contamination it would produce?

One big problem: Civil Rights groups would be up in arms. Probably something like 'Cruel and Unusual Punishment!' ...Assuming they told anyone. As for location: Maybe set up a place somewhere remote, with isolation proving the main deterrent to escape... Why not the far north border of Alaska or something?

Also: Why not use Kryptonian artificial gravity tech? Poke Superman until he actually starts using that museum he calls a fortress for something.

The Zeta-Tube thing might work. Just a matter of getting power. Like say, a certain cosmic energy collector system? I would be amazed if CS!OL hasn't been raiding supervillain and superheroic tech for mass-producable ideas...

Well, then. I mean, sometimes, you get good ideas from Common Sense, sometimes ones that smack of Justice Lords/Marvel Illuminati level stuff. They can't all be winners? Still, they are right, Belle Reve is not built for what it's being used for. Sooner or later, they will have to make something better. The only question then becomes 'how soon?'

2. Diraniola

Diraniola Not too sore, are you?

The Birdcage only worked because it was fun by a morally heroic AI with most of her capabilities locked down. The only warden literally couldn't act outside official channels.

3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would also suggest VR prison, especially for rehabilitation attempts, but it's probably diffcult to connect so many people with altered brain chemistry and who knows what someone could do if it were hacked.

4. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Probably a lot.

The only virus that should be contagious.

And that comic with multiple versions didn't help.

Or the bottom of the ocean, far away from any Atlantean territory.

At least he's not advocating for lobotomizing prisoners and having heroes exiled.

5. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm reminded of the prison Grrlpower did up for a teleporter.

Her cell was an air tight pressurized gas mixture, so if she 'ported out, anywhere she'd likely have gone would be much lower pressure, and cause a stroke from a very bad case of the bends and die on the spot. Her power was teleporting gate ways, but even if she opened a small one they'd detect the pressure change before she could even things out, and she of course doesn't have a comparative barometer or blood O2 sensor to tell when it's safe to leave.

A bit expensive, but doable with current day tech.

6. Stsword

Stsword I trust you know where the happy button is?

In Xombi the Vatican's Secret Prison works by shrinking people.

Their prisons are fully functional doll houses.

Yeah it was that kind of series.

7. Darko

Darko Well worn.

The same thing happened in the Avengers EMH cartoon.

Pym used his tech to shrink people and placed them in a miniature prison staffed by Ultron robots.

8. Senevri

Senevri Know what you're doing yet?

Yeah... Like Cheshire, or the "Terror twins". Or any of the other sv:s rehabilitated in the other timeline.

Also, the prisoners still have rights. Visitors, lawyers, etc. Not to mention prison workers themselves. As for the solution the SI read about
    .. You cannot, essentially, throw everyone in isolation permanently. Would probably count as torture.

The gravity isn't much of an issue. Even a low gravity will keep the worst side effects at bay, and artificial gravity is probably a thing.

9. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

schema -> scheme

10. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

This version of Paul doesn't seem to utilize the ability to see what people want, which could help in finding out what criminals could be offered to do less villainous things. He also never trained with Guy, whose past as a councilor helped inspire Paul to rehabilitate villains so that they can be productive members of society.

11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Is that not something that Americans say?
    I'm not familiar with that one.
    Can't talk about modern politics, but the statistics are on Common Sense's side here. Yes, a highly motivated orange-light-using empath could rehabilitate a few more people, but that's a superlative effort not covered by common sense.
    No.

12. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

What I'd like to know is who put Michael Palin in charge of siting the data center.

TopHatWearer and Cuchulin like this.
  13. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Better idea. Shrink the prison cells down and shove them into the the most impenetrable hole on Earth, Amanda Waller's asshole.

The Birdcage was nothing but ball pits and tube slides as far as the eye could see, and every day was pizza day in the cafeteria.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  14. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Getting out there.

Dude you gotta tag which reality you've switched to at the beginning, while it can be easy to guess from the colours or situations it can still take a bit of confusion before we figure out who's POV we're watching

Sockmonkey likes this.
  15. Darko

Darko Well worn.

You can usually see when it's going to be an alternate universe in the spoiler box on the first page.

16. Mr Zoat

You mean like having a short description at the top of the post explaining what it's a part of? Like 'Common Sense', perhaps?

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Detective Comics Vol 1, #168. First appearance of the Red Hood, in fact. Though I did misremember slightly: They were student criminologists, not amateurs.
    To sum up: Batman and Robin are teaching a special class at Gotham University. Joker hears about it, decides to stage some Red Hood robberies, and eventually gets caught by the greens-keeper, who uses the costume (not knowing what it can do.) The case gets solved, Joker revealed to have been the original Red Hood (and a former lab worker at Ace, so bonus alternate origin.)
    I suppose something similar happened on Earth-16...

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

It doesn't seem very common sensey to assume that is actually how it happened on this Earth when Joker is the only one who actually knows for sure.

TopHatWearer likes this.
  19. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Not too sore, are you?

This right here. Though sticking it underwater means habitability has a lethal failure mode.
    I'd use Antarctica. Pick a spot at least a thousand miles from any outpost and supply it by zeta tube.
    If the worst happens, you're far enough away from anything that you can get away with nuking the place as a last resort without worrying about collateral.

TopHatWearer likes this.
  20. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

If the pitch for your prison includes at any point the phrase "and then we ignore their human rights" it is a bad idea and should be immediately scrapped.

21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Yes, you're right. That's a very good use of the word.

TopHatWearer likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

No modern politics.

23. DrThoth

DrThoth Not too sore, are you?

Prisoner rights seems like a sufficiently old topic to not count as modern, if we stick to examples/situations from 20 years past. Though I know the spirit behind that rule is to avoid flame wars or something, so I'll leave it at that.

You know you're in a comic-book setting when 'space prison' is the idea suggested in the Common Sense storyline.
    Actually this makes me wonder about when Ambush Bug encounters Common Sense Paul, which I believe should still happen at some point in his timeline. Paragon's solution was fun and creative, so I wonder if there's a common sense way to deal with him.

24. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja Everything I do is bittersweet.

Using Zeta Tubes runs into the “hack the computers to escape” issue. Subverting the tubes would allow instant escape unless I’m missing something.

25. Mr Zoat

Instant escape to another zeta tube on the same network, OR to a random point somewhere in the Sol system. You can also build one with no control systems, meaning that the person at the far end would have to build one from scratch.

26. Radix

Radix Getting sticky.

I mean it isnt as exotic as Antarctica, but just move the prison to the American Southwest. It is sparsely populated, and not exactly ideal for survival. Where will they run to?

Of course that can be compensated with teleporters or something. But at some point there is only so much you can do against metahumans.

27. Mr Zoat

Dang!

28. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic Know what you're doing yet?

Well This New Prison layout is kinda reminding me of the Prison from G.I. Joe Retaliation.

29. Rafin

Rafin Know what you're doing yet?

I don't know how it is in Britain or the US and I can't even be sure how it is in Italy, but from what I gathered from Italians and comparing with my experience in Greece, it should be much easier to have some lone and non-exclusive accountant dude that you call or visit a couple of times a month at most, or even just have a non-legal little workshop like the one near where I live, than it is to be part of a mechanics shop large enough to hire and insure employees without having to suffer any undue scrutiny. I guess Seth could be working completely black, but then why not run an undeclared shop in some rural area or back alley where he can have all hos own tools and methods?

TopHatWearer likes this.
  30. Rafin

Rafin Know what you're doing yet?

This is funny to me because of the large number of Belle Reeve inmates that Paragon!OL has actually rehabilitated, something that was only possible because their visitation rights weren't completely slashed.

Actually yeah. How is this plan of his dealing with the fact that many of the inmates here still deserve basic human rights, including the right not to live out the rest of their days in complete isolation.

TopHatWearer, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.