1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

The god the technology agrees with Paul and really want to help the uplift project.

2. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Hephaestus and Vulcan have created automaton in this story.

Though their apparently part fire or earth elemental given a metallic body.

And they did explain why they're not a tech god.

Finerc, Relyt33, zeebza and 9 others like this.
  3. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, as expected, going for his number one contact for the mystical. Well, the number one contact not directly a member of the Justice League (Giovanni Zatarra, Angelica Blaze or Dr Balewa) or linked to Atlantis (Mera and Sephtian, basically...) Let's hope the talented hobbyist wielding the tools of a Lord of Order can be of some assistance...

Well, short of uprooting the Tower and hiding it elsewhere (a definite option with such a magical location,) anyone after it will have no trouble finding it. All they have to do is a quick internet search...

The magical equivalent of a dumb VI. Though it probably has enough detection spells to identify any lies or ill intent and take measures to prevent such intrusion.

...Dangit! Foiled by timing. It's like trying to start a GTA mission with a 'time of day' requirement... Or he just marked himself as 'Busy' to avoid showing up on the SuperFriends network? :p

Ah, the Doctor is in, but not taking visitors, then. Which we could see his face when he hears OL's message, it's bound to be hilarious.

John Quinn is probably doing a lot of reading, trying to get up to speed on all the things Nabu knew that he at least wrote down... The worry is all the things he didn't write down, eh, Murphy?

Shifting to match the mood of their owner, eh? I guess Quinn likes his decor in classic Noir Deco...

It's default waiting mode, eh? Just imagine Siri, Alexa or Cortana looking like this when you're not talking to them...

Better than 'absolute stasis' Order, certainly. But that's hardly compatible with, you know, life.

Well, it's hardly the strangest thing he's asked Quinn for.

You'd kind of think the people who knew it was coming would have, ya'know, warned other people about it? Unless that would have changed the very emergence itself...

'Handle it' as in prevent it, or 'handle it' as in make sure it happens safely? Or did they make plans for both?

I mean, Desire might back you in the matter, if only out of curiosity. Or simply ignore you, which is more likely. And generally, fighting an Endless never ends well for the Mortal.

Given that they can be present in multiple places simultaneously, I'm sure it would be. Death, at least, is a busy young lady...

It would make sense, then. Not a full Kingdom, not nearly yet. But a nascent Diety seems a lot more likely...

...And people say I taunt Murphy? Anyway, he has me on Ignore. :rolleyes: Too many pings.

Ugh, there's a nasty thought. Not sure how that woudl work, but it certainly gives all manner of images of killer androids... Most of which end up resembling ambulatory skeletons, you notice that?

Maybe... Because they're not in this era?

As we saw in the Renegade timeline, with Arion the Elder. Or with Karmang, who didn't show up until his attention was directly attracted by social upheavals.

Goddamit. OL, you really have to look into tracking him down somehow. A Constantine in the wind is trouble just waiting to happen...

Now, someone he pissed off, maybe. Remember the whole Beast/Black Dog situation? Or the artificial Fear God-Dragon thing?

Quinn, you should know by now, never ask that around OL...

...Because he can always make things worse.

Try not to poke your nose in unless Quinn or Balewa tell you to? To quote Princess Irulan from the opening of Dune: "Beginnings are delicate times..."

Okay, that, OL can do. Hell, pretty sure he's had his Ring AI running a tracking script for that sort of thing the whole time.

Please, OL. Please do not poke the developing god of technology in any way... Who knows how outside contacts influence it...

And so we have some clear confirmation. It's a developing god of Technology, huh? But someone's messing with it? Yeah, that's going to have to be dealt with. The hard part will be working out who the culprit is. Especially since we know of at least one time-travelling possibility. Guess the rest of the episode will turn to that... :D Can't wait!

4. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Getting sticky.

Believe me, Shintoism is very much alive and well in Japan. If Shinto gods are the type to draw power form their worshippers, then like the Hindu gods, the shinto gods of today would be stronger then they'd ever been before. The Abrahamic religions might have taken a crowbar to the native faiths of Europe, Americas and large parts of Africa, but they had significantly less success across much of Asia and the native faiths are still very much existent and culturally active and relevant.

5. Darko

Darko Well worn.

And you'd know a lot about Murphy.

Siri and Alexa I can imagine, Cortana not so much.

They either did or they were still trying to figure out what's happening exactly before they did.

And getting that particular Endless to help is probably something that is best avoided.

Comic Hippolyta can attest to that.

That wasn't really taunting Murphy, that was just asking a perfectly good question.

Taunting Murphy would be 'Oh, I'm sure it won't be that bad'

Paul didn't say that, he just asked a good question.

Easier said than done.

A Constantine anywhere is trouble waiting to happen.

In the wind, in front of you, behind you, it's just trouble.

That narrows it down.

Paul can question suspect 1 to 764.987 and Quinn can ask suspects 764.988 to 1.234.531.

Within a decade they should be done.

Who else but Paul.

He's going to poke his nose.

We just know it.

Now I'm imagining this god imprinting on Paul and thinking of him as his mommy.

And that's how paragon became a parent.

And the universe gained another potential Paul.

Excuse, I'm going to go and drink now.

6. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Not too sore, are you?

Ooo, maybe it's hell? Remember how they've been teching up lately?

I would have figured the god started forming with widespread use of steam engines during the industrial revolution rather than use of the internal combustion ones.

7. Senevri

Senevri Know what you're doing yet?

First thing that comes up is Metron, but he's more the New God of scientific inquiry than machines doing work - which is what we see here
    On earth, Thoth would be the old god of tech, but considering how Bast is barely scraping by, Thoth would be dead or dying.
    Maybe he died and that triggered this event?

I'm interested to see how this turns out, as MrZoat doesn't usually do OC:s.
    Also, from the description, it does not seem this new god will be based on an old, established power.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

Is that a Raising Steam reference I spy?

9. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Thoth, or Zehuti, is alive and well in this story.

He's one of the gods empowering Teth Adom.

The gods of this story seem to be less dependent on prayer and worship to continue existing.

Having a lot of worship may make it easier for them to influence the mortal world, but they can apparently exist without it.

10. Stsword

Stsword I trust you know where the happy button is?

Actually in DC it should be Vext, God of Mishaps and Misfortune.

Son of the Goddess of Emasculating Shrews and God of The Perpetually Cuckolded.

On and off boyfriend of the Goddess of Romantic Relationships Gone Hellishly Wrong.

Happened to be around in the Garden of Eden when they decided to eat a certain fruit and when a ship sank that got a major motion picture by James Cameron.

Lives in Delta City, the city protected by the Heckler, who annoys the hell out of crime, having Seinfeildian non adventures like learning how to drive (and encounter a gamma irradiated road rage mutant car monster) or eating a hamburger (and eating a colony of sapient bacteria out to conquer the world!) for the first time.

11. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I don't know how to respond to this.

The fact that it exists is both somewhat surprising and yet makes a ton of sense.

12. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

It could just be Paul's influence accelerating things. He's worked on various uplift projects, accelerating human technology, which may accelerate the emergence of the tech god. He's shown people that pagan religions are valid in-universe, and that angels and the silver city definitely exist, both of which are bound to increase global belief and worship of various gods, possibly making it easier for a new one to emerge. Also, Boss Smiley may have been working to suppress the god of technology, so if Paul's actions are distracting/countering that...

13. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

It -> Is
    Good point... I keep forgetting about Boss Smiley.

14. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting out there.

Honestly, if this is the Light I hope it is Brain. He's appeared so rarely in the story I sometimes forget he is part of the organizaton.

15. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    When you're a disembodied brain... Fieldwork is not for you.

16. Pez

Pez I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can someone explain the difference between a 'new god' and titan? Is it just a 'god' vs 'priomordial' distinction? I'm aware that, relatively speaking, the titans were bad, but why would a new one be bad?

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Gods are specific, generally have a humanish mindset, and are orders of magnitude weaker.

18. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

From what I understood of Vulcan's explanation, Titans can embody and represent so much of an aspect of the world (usually primordial) that they become like a pillar or anchor of the Thaumosphere. As such they end up being super powerful and significant. I imagine the planet's Thaumosphere drastically changes if a Titan was born due to their mystical weight or some such, whole concepts of magic would have to be studied, or relearned, spells and enchantments may go crazy, shutdown or explode.

It would be as significant as if, in physics, a new fundamental force just appeared out of nowhere! (I think?)

19. Darko

Darko Well worn.

A New God, as in the case of Darkseid, Izaya etc., are basically super powerful demi gods connected to the Source.

Gods, as in the case of Zeus, Odin, Hades, etc., are beings that came out of the Dreaming either directly or were spawned from something that did come out of there.

The Titans are basically the same as the gods, only much more powerful.

Vulcan also explained why a new Titan would be bad.

Apparently the last time one of them emerged from the Dreaming, people and gods had massive nightmares and were driven to insanity due to it.

The Titans also apparently destroyed the previous magic order.

If a new Titan emerges then insanity and chaos may follow.

20. Doccer

Doccer Know what you're doing yet?

My primary concern right now would be that if this thing is getting used or being awakened early then I'd best find a use for it to fulfill first before it's used for something I don't want.

Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  21. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Not sure why people like to treat the Titans as though they are so much more powerful. They got their asses kicked by their kids. The entire point of the Titanomachy is that the Gods were stronger.

And even then Titan is basically just an indicator of, essentially, generation.

The difference between a Titan and a God is basically the difference between a Boomer and a Millenial.

22. Coda

Coda I trust you know where the happy button is?

Stronger in the sense that there were more of them, and they planned and cooperated towards a common end. Not stronger in the sense of having more innate power. The problem with primordial powers like Titans is a lack of flexibility; gods -- as we've directly observed -- may have comparatively narrower and shallower domains of mystical power, but they're capable of novel invention.

23. Mr Zoat

Source?

24. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I think the gods won because they outsmarted the Titans.

Also remember that some of the Titans helped the Olympians in the war, like Helios. And the blessing he gave Kon has the potential to do planetary level damage, so we know Titans are extremely powerful.

Also it's possible the Titans were overconfident due to their power and that bit them in the ass at the end.

25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I mean, that's the case in Greek Mythology. I have no idea how it is in DC Comics. Or in your fic.

DrThoth and Doccer like this.
  26. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I'm just a bit worried about the fact that the magical construct of Mr Nelson is referring to John as 'Master'. With the Guess that this is Golden Boy John, anything that even hints at creepy or megalomaniac starts to stand out. While Paul can see now that it's not a true self aware spirit, it was a bit more lively and personable during his 'eviscerated by chaos spears' visit to the tower the first time. This John might have dialed it down and upped it's compulsions to serve a bit from back then.

As for a God of Technology...

27. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was going to say it, but you beat me to it.

I've been puzzled by this ever since Oceanius stomped Poseidon. Like, once Zeus got Chronos to vomit up his siblings, shit was on.

Yeah, the war took 10 years, but a 10 year war between Divine creatures is nothing. In the end, the Gods threw down the Titans and imprisoned the ones they didn't kill. Prometheus was at Zeus' mercy, Atlas was helpless as well.

Nothing I ever read suggested that the Titans were more powerful than their offspring.

Now the Giants, which Gaia created to get revenge for the Titans, were inferred to be more powerful than the Gods. Hence why Zeus needed to sire a half-human Hero (Which ended up being Herakles) to turn the tide.

Of course, it's Zoat's fic and thus his rules really, and Hell, I can totally see DC putting the titans above the Gods to have a "Bigger" bad for someone like Wonder Woman.

I mean Typhon, probably the biggest, baddest Titan/Monster of all of them, Got his ass kicked by Zeus something terrible. Only managing a stalemate when he (A Kaiju sized creature) managed to finally get a hold of Zeus and cut/rip his "Sinews" out. Then he was so fucked up, he had to go and recover. Only to get tricked into giving up the Sinews to string an instrument, which once Zeus "Refitted" them, Led to him kicking the fuck out of Typhon. Who to run cowering from Zeus' thunderbolts, only to have the King of the Gods slam a mountain down on his ass. Which is supposedly some Volcano somewhere near Greece (I don't know the name, sorry.) Which it is said, when it erupts, is Typhon screaming.

I honestly just look at it as that weird thing Fantasy fiction tends to do. The older it is, the more powerful it is. Ugh...Naruto flashbacks.

28. Baladar

Baladar Getting sticky.

Best case scenario, Primus.

Worst case scenario, The Broken God.

Doccer likes this.
  29. Doccer

Doccer Know what you're doing yet?

Never heard of them. Do you have any links to these Giants?

30. Osserumb

Osserumb Making the rounds.