1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

So we agree it's most likely the parliament of metal than?

Both "spontaneous sentient internet" and "new god"?

moralrelativity likes this.
  2. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I know he probably won't use it, but this really feels like the Metal.

Stupid is a harsh word.

Ignorant is better.

Thank you for that image Chojin.

Just, thanks.

We haven't seen that much of Athena.

Maybe she is that silly.

Hmm, after the invasion ended, Paul complained and warned people what would happen if they don't adopt more advanced technology.

Maybe that got people thinking and it followed with a new god being born.

Plus the other things, like Roanoke, Oceanus, Time Trapper, the trauma the Sheeda caused to the world etc.

All these things could have affected the magic of the world and lead to some new god being made.

The Greeks and Roman's may be the same gods here.

If I remember correctly, in the comics Darkseid somehow split them into two pantheons to lower their power since he was worried they could challenge him.

He may have done something similar here.

Murphy Chojin, you're calling Murphy.

Chojin, just stop, just stop calling Murphy.

Or Dr Mist.

The guy is very old and skilled.

Hell, he may have honestly seen, or felt, a god emerge from the Dreaming, given his age.

Fairly understandable why he'd consider him a miracle worker.

It's still Morpheus.

Daniel, the guy that replaced him in the comics, is still human and a young adult.

3. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I think it's the new god thing.

Zoat really doesn't use the n52 all that much, so new god sounds like something he'd use.

Though he may have chosen to write something featuring the Metal.

He does like to subvert tropes and expectations, so maybe he's subverting our expectations of him hating everything about the n52.

4. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, there was one thing in there that confused me. That link when the Shinto gods got mentioned. How the hell would the Shinto gods claim Marylin Monroe, King Kong, and Lady Liberty as part of their pantheon?

5. Darko

Darko Well worn.

I'm betting that due to their fame they somehow became divine and the Shinto had them join their pantheon.

6. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

Thing they didn't consider....

What if mortal magicians are trying to create a God?

7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

By asking and having them say 'yes'.

8. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Getting sticky.

I'm still stuck on the idea that they aren't worshipped. I mean shinto is the largest followed religion in Japan, with Buddhism being number 2(not that that really means anything considering how japanese culture doesn't see an issue with keeping the beliefs and practices of different religions exclusive with each other).

There's also the bit "My mother is Queen of our own underworld; it is a most efficient place"? Like, are they talking about Yomi and Izanami(looking it up, that is apparently supposed to be Susanoo so maybe)? Because while I get that the comic this page was from was from the nineties(and thus Japan takes over the World was in full swing), that's both really racist and probably highly inaccurate to how Yomi is supposed to be in Shinto.

9. Handlewithcare

Zoat, random question: is there going to be a Paul in the Half-Live verse(s)?

10. Mr Zoat

No.

Ah, I mean, it's not impossible that a varient won't run into the Combine, because they're a interplanar empire, but I can't think of a reason why they'd encounter a random parallel Earth of little value.

11. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I'm not really interested in dying on the hill either, but out of curiosity I'll ask- What would DC comics actually have to do to get themselves out of the naughty box with you? Is it even possible? Obviously I don't mean doing something for you personally, but is there some version of their universe they could morph to where you draw a line and say, "Okay, DC comics is dead to me from 2011 to 20XX, but after 20XX I am willing to give them time/attention again."? They dropped the nu52 branding and a lot of the ideas, but is there some specifically offensive part you need to see directly repudiated?

Cuchulin and BlueMangoAdea like this.
  12. Doccer

Doccer Know what you're doing yet?

I'm still betting on this being the rise of the Silver and the Parliament of Technology.

Prognostic Hannya likes this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Hm.

Probably... A reboot which puts the main timeline back to or near to pre-Flashpoint? Or something else that was really awesome?

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Experienced.

What if this is a supervillain plan to godhood?

Doccer likes this.
  15. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Not too sore, are you?

Hey Mister Zoat are you planning another update with Common-Sense!Paul soon? I’m curious what he’s gotten up to with Krona’s lantern and manhunter tech, as well as other Young Justice pitfalls that were avoided... or cases where he actually failed, despite thinking things through.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

I've already written one.

17. Coda

Coda I trust you know where the happy button is?

Or automatic windows, or door-mounted speakers... @.@ Some cars require completely disassembling the door to get at that kind of thing instead of just being able to pop off the outer panel.

It was a fear borne of the 30s and 40s, refitted to a more modern battlefield. Humans... so slow to forgive.

18. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

The key phrase seems to be 'as once we were.' They have large numbers of worshipers, but the acts of worship aren't as frequent (too many Japanese people are too busy literally working themselves to death, or have other things they need to do) or as emotionally intense (the same people are too tired, or don't believe as hard as they once did).

AnirbanAn likes this.
  19. Threadmarks: Maladaptive (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

22nd July 2012
    13:02 GMT -5

I float through the glowing barrier and knock on the door of the Tower of Fate.

At the request of the Salem Tourist Board, John agreed to leave the Tower in 'manifested' mode most of the time. The Tower's outer surface, anyway. The majority of its mass is still extruded into the Earthsphere with the rest poking into the Dream proper. At this point the approximate location of the Tower's earthly anchor point is common knowledge and John said that he missed interacting with people. A few cameras are raised at my appearance, but sightings of me aren't that unusual and these people are mostly here to look at the strange non-Euclidean structure of the Tower itself.

"Yes?"

Mr. Nelson's voice. John's left the butler spell running, though now that I know what I'm looking at it's obvious that it's sub-sophont. No desires or other emotions at all. I assume that he's modified it according to his own requirements, but I haven't actually asked.

"Orange Lantern to see Lord Fate. Is he available?"

"I'm afraid that he's indisposed at the moment. Can I take a message?"

"I'm investigating the possible emergence of a God of Technology, and I'd like to coordinate with him."

"One moment."

I can just about feel it as the presence of the butler vanishes to report to John. Huh. I'm not actually sure what John does on a day to day basis. His secret identity doesn't have regular employment so he's not working regular hours. I know that Dr. Balewa keeps himself busy checking up on every site of mystical significance on the planet, but I don't-.

The door opens, the spectral figure of Mr. Nelson beckoning me inside.

"The Master will speak to you now."

I walk inside, looking around the entrance of the Tower. It's abandoned the medieval tower aesthetic totally, swapping in a foyer such as I would expect to find in an upmarket hotel. The front desk is abandoned and… No computers? Something from the middle of the previous century? It would fit with the aesthetic of the elevator.

"Please take the lift up to the library. He's waiting for you."

"Thank you."

I walk over to the closest elevator and press the 'call' button. The spectral image of Mr. Nelson vanishes, reappearing behind the desk and taking on a somewhat vacant look. Seems a bit… Odd, but I suppose that John hardly needs its assistance if there's nothing much going on.

I step inside the elevator and press the button for the library. The doors close and then there's a moment of dislocation as the Tower changes the elevator's entry point before opening the doors again. Certainly more efficient that actually having a lift shaft. I suppose that's the difference between 'follows the rules of the world' orderly and 'acts with greatest possible efficiency' orderly. I exit the elevator and walk through the towering bookshelves in the direction of John's work area.

He's busy studying the Orb of Nabu as I arrive, his eyes not leaving it for a moment. I just get a quick wave from his right hand as an acknowledgement. He's dressed in the Fate uniform minus the Helmet, which is sitting on a nearby desk.

"I'm looking for an unborn God of Technology. Any ideas?"

"That's not news."

I come closer, frowning.

"It is to me. And to the people whose machines are acting up."

"Earth is a thaumically active world that uses mechanical engineering en masse instead of sorcery." His hands move, his gaze still locked on the Orb. "Something like this was inevitable. Doctor Mist and I have been trying to come up with a plan for how to handle it."

"What have you got?"

"What we've got is that we shouldn't have to deal with this for another decade at least. Consciousnesses don't emerge from the Dream quickly. Usually."

"It's not Dream himself, is it? Because I really don't want to try picking a fight with one of the Endless."

"No, they don't care enough to do something like this. We're mildly interesting at best."

That statement doesn't entirely gel with what I remember from Sandman, but I suppose that it wasn't focused on what the Endless got up to on other planets. For all I know the bit we're shown is a trivial side note to their actual focus.

"This god has been forming since the invention of the internal combustion engine at the very least. It had a setback when humans shifted away from purely mechanical technology and towards electronic, but it managed to adapt to that a while ago. And now it's stirring."

"And that's what we're seeing?"

"Yes. Something's making parts of it act like it's awake when it's not. And I can't tell who and I can't tell why and that's a big problem."

"What's the worse-case scenario?"

He stops moving completely for a moment.

"The worst case-? Probably something like 'Darkseid gets control of everything more complex than a spring everywhere in the universe'. I don't think that's what's happening here, but I can't think of anything worse off the top of my head."

"Alright, what's the worst-case reasonably-probable scenario?"

"An evil magician is trying to use the god's power to destroy civilisation. Which is just as bad for us, but less bad for the rest of the universe. Whoever it is, I haven't been able to find them yet."

"Surely that narrows it down? There can't be that many people you can't overpower."

"I'm not a Lord of Order or a Lord of Chaos. I just stole their equipment. There are ancient magicians who never come to public attention who can hide themselves from me, if they're careful."

"So… Do we need to get hold of John Constantine?"

"We could, except I don't know where he is. And he definitely has the skill and power to keep me from finding him."

I frown.

"You don't think it's him, do you? I.. don't think-."

"No. No. John Constantine would only lash out against people he had a grudge against. This is going to affect the whole world."

"Okay. But we're sure this is a new god emerging from the Dream?"

"As opposed to what?"

"A titan."

He looks away from the orb and stares at me, blinking only very slowly. Slowly, he breathes in and out.

"Yes. And thank you for that heart attack."

"So what can I do that's useful?"

He returns his attention to the Orb.

"I could use a map of whatever incidents you can find. I can't afford to leave here right now."

I nod. "Okay, can do. Would intentionally using this nascent god's power for something hurt or help?"

"I'm not sure. If that's the sort of thing you want to do, let me know in advance. Either way, I might be able to learn something."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  20. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Pretty much confirmed to be a nascent god, then. Call me an optimist, but I wonder what the best-case scenario is?

21. Darko

Darko Well worn.

'cameras'

Yeah, I think in one of the previous times the inside of the Tower was brought up, it was mentioned that it looked like the inside of a 20th century hotel.

Hmm, I'm getting the feeling that some wizard sensed its impending birth and wanted to gain control of it.

I don't know Quinn, John can be a petty little asshole sometimes.

That's Paul.

Always making people regret ever meeting and knowing him.

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I love it when Paul, or someone he brings along, just drops something that makes people take a few seconds to look at him and process what he just said. It never gets old. The last big thing I can think of was Karmang being revealed to have been a White Martian.

23. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Paul befriends said divine and gets his/her/their/zhes help in his uplift the Earth project.

24. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

The Team / Justice League gets anew heavy weight member?

25. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Could it be the Light? It's been a while.

Prince Charon, Relyt33, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  26. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Experienced.

God goes to sleep for the next thousand years and anyone who tries to wake him early again gets vaporized.

27. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Earth becomes the next Oa through a mix of magic and technology?

28. Handlewithcare

Godcalling is probably a lot more common these days now that it's confirmed all kinds of god exist.

And the Darkseid guess might not be off. A New God with a mother/fatherbox might be able to pull something like this, right?

Still weird that Hephaestus/Vulcan isn't the technology god though.

Canonically Heph created automaton robots after all

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Makes sense.

They have Circe working for/with them, or at least with Truggs, so they have the magic mojo to control a god.

They also have motive, what with the whole lie most of them are telling themselves about wanting to improve the world, so they may think controlling this god can help them.

Though it'll probably backfire and cause technological regression.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021