1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. We have added another rule, please check the Rules post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Due to some issues with Freenode, the QQ IRC Channel is moving. See here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I'm happy for everyone to enjoy the story in whatever way they chose to. If Vaermina likes it because it gets their spleen going, I'm happy for them.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  2. HearthBorn

HearthBorn Know what you're doing yet?

I'm a bit surprised he didn't create an earpiece in Diana's ear, but Renegade is a bit less proficient with his rings than Paragon Paul. For that matter, I'm definitely surprised that the JL as a whole doesn't have them already. Maybe she only puts it in for work with that team.

Cuchulin, CTrees and DrThoth like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Well worn.

Or she had an earpiece but it was destroyed in the fight.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Experienced.

While Oh-El did so with greed and lost his humanity.

Cuchulin and Otto von Saurion like this.
  5. hance1986

hance1986 Not too sore, are you?

should be ' loose '

6. PDV

PDV The Revelation That Uncertainty is Itself a Answer

When did Paragon face this horde?

7. Stsword

Stsword I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not exactly.

Rather what was getting to social darwinist Theana was that Diana speaks softly while carrying a big stick.

Diana wasn't an inferior asking for mercy because she was afraid to die, she was a stronger opponent offering mercy because she was giving Theana the opportunity to live.

So really it was about respecting Diana's strength, and that her ethos, as alien as it was to Theana, was the ethos of a warrior who was stronger than her.

It might have turned into more, but Astarte had Theana shot in the back, which royally pissed off Diana.

8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

9. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I don't believe he did; I meant that Diana's divine nature has come up as a part of the story before and it's probably Truth, given her lie detector sense, but Justice is a close runner up.

10. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

A paraphrasing of that was used by the mods on Twisting The Hellmouth, which (me being unfamiliar with the expression apart from a story that did take it somewhat literally, and an author that I liked having recently-at-the-time killed himself) had me thinking that Joehundredaire had ended his life, rather than him just quitting the platform. Not really sure if the implication was accidental on their parts, though.

I feel like I've had something like this conversation before.

11. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Know what you're doing yet?

Looking back at this, I can't believe I didn't notice this before.

Considering how.... temperamental the male beast-people are, did Paul manage to capture some of them and edit them like he did the Dark Elves, or were there some humans in the village that took a look at the beastwomen and thought, "You know, they seem nice enough, so I might as well try something new...."?

12. Threadmarks: Veganism (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

1st September 2012
    15:42 GMT

Diana had better have won.

It's a simple calculation, really. She's not Artemis, but we're unified by purpose. If she's won, then we can use our divine voices to imprint ourselves on the watching Citizens over the crumpled bodies of their domitor and her heir apparent. If she hasn't then I'm about to look...

I look across the arena and see Astarte bound in Diana's lasso, Diana herself looking a bit the worse for wear while Astarte…

I'm not sure what Diana's done there, but she looks… Crushed.

Wonderful!

I-.

"…become something more than the murderers of worlds!"

Oh. I'm interrupting a heroic speech while covered in the blood of the people she was trying to convince. That's not a great look-. But some of the audience are looking at me so I can't really just hide and wait.

So what do I do?

"I see in all of you the potential to be something…"

I tune Diana out of a moment as my mind races.

Okay, so, conceptually, Diana and I can work together just fine. And if I flew out to the centre of the arena right now I'd have about-.

I clean blood off myself.

I'd have about-.

And Theana.

I'd have about four seconds to explain what we need to do to make this work, and convince her to go along with it, and she's already pretty dubious of my intentions. The first thing to do is create construct ropes to bind Theana to create a visual link to her lasso and make it clear that she's a prisoner and not a corpse. Make it so that they prop her up a bit as well.

Okay, if I accept-
    I don't shudder.
    -a subordinate role, I can reinforce Diana's efforts instead of making my own attempt. It won't work as well as the two of us working in concert and it would deny me any influence over them in-

[​IMG]

- future, so…

Damn it.

I fly towards Diana as her vacuously uplifting speech continues, not so slow as to make a production out of it and not so fast as to look desperate or afraid. Diana barely pauses in her flow as she spots me, though I think I detect a mild lessening of animosity towards me as she sees for herself that Theana is still-

She doesn't know who Theana is, does she?

-alive.

I land a short distance behind her, depositing Theana slightly behind Astarte. Astarte's eyes drift to her daughter for a few moment but she doesn't really seem to be taking things in. I do my best to look like Diana's attendant as she gradually reaches the end of her monologue.

"…together, make our civilisation into something great!" Inspire the Soul to Dream.

I make an effort not to sigh. The Iron Hand for the Glove.

"Okay, Diana, what now?"

"Who is this?"

The crowd appears to be talking about things amongst themselves, though there's a definite drift towards the exits. I hope they've taken that speech as the new boss setting out her policy.

"Her name's Theana. She's your cousin. Apparently the only one. Still alive." With the attention somewhat off me, this time I do sigh. "I assume that we're leaving them alive, then?"

"Yes."

"Right, so do you have eyes in the back of your head now? Because I don't know what you did to Astarte, but Theana is planning on killing you."

"I made her have a conversation with her younger self, from when she volunteered to join the Citizenry in my mother's place."

I give her a look of-.

"Do not look at me like that. I did not realise that the effect would be so severe."

"Breaking her will is kinder than killing-." I frown. "Isn't there..? Don't I remember something about Hades having access to water that can erase a person's memories?"

"The waters of the river Lethe can have that effect."

"Can you erase three thousand years? Reset her back to who she used to be?"

"That would destroy who she is."

"And what she is is so valuable? Is she giving you the impression that she likes who she has become?"

She considers her aunt for a moment.

"You don't need to wipe her out completely. Just take everything until just after she left."

"And Theana?"

"Why not hand her over to Philippus for a decade or so? I'm sure that your mother would like to get to know her, and Philippus has experience in wrangling difficult demigoddesses."

Flat look.

"And some of the island's other demigoddesses can keep an eye on her. And you could hand off ambassador duties to Orana like she's wanted you to since the end of the Second World War." I shrug. "Or take her with you. I'm sure she'd be happy either way. Now you've just got to find Four Ears, and then-"

"Lieutenant Zusen."

"-you can-. Her too, and then you can navigate the fleet to an unoccupied planet and start settling down."

She frowns. "Don't you want my help?"

"Yes, of course, but I'm not entirely convinced that your new people can be trusted to obey you and not depopulate Vega."

"And Artemis hasn't finished planting explosives everywhere yet."

I smile, shrugging. "Probably not, but she's an industrious woman."

"I believe that they can be relied upon to follow my commands. If we engage Grayven away from your worlds, the Providers will not be able to reach them even if they are released contrary to my orders. It isn't necessary for-"

My ring blinks.

"-them-."

"Excuse me." I raise my left hand. "Yes?"

"Daddy? We're under attack."

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  13. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Oh man. Somebody gonna die. Maybe a lot of somebodies.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Jaron and 23 others like this.
  14. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

delete the full stop

roll -> role

on -> in

delete 'will'

15. Darko

Darko Well worn.

So Diana God broke her.

Ahh, Renegade.

Ever the asshole.

Yes, you do shudder.

If only on a spiritual level.

'in concert'

More god speech.

And that's such a Diana thing to say.

This is not the weirdest thing that has happened and you know it you big grey douchebag.

According to some people you were pretty hot-headed as a kid.

The daughters of Herakles could make sure she doesn't hurt the more squishier of the Amazons.

'got to find'

'you still want'

16. Genocidecles

Genocidecles Getting sticky.

Papa bear mode ACTIVATE!!!

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Lin in danger? New plan: everybody dies!!!"

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

19. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

... You know, eventually, after enough times of Gravy salting the Earth beneath the idiots who assault his child, I hope they're going to get the message and stop.

20. Silverias

Silverias Getting sticky.

I do believe Actual!Grayven is about to have a...re-alignment of his perspective.

DAT_NOOB, Vorian, BBJimmy and 7 others like this.
  21. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Not too sore, are you?

Ah. Ah. The price of Paragon choices- you expend or fail to obtain resources. By ceding to Diana, he can’t lead these bullet-sponges in defense of his family.
    A minor, immediate headache. But! It means he doesn’t have to deal with the long term migraine Diana’s accepted by taking responsibility for this fleet of radioactive waste.

Y’know. Old-Grayven could have asked DeSaad (who probably had a feed to the dead Fatherbox) about Renegade-Grayven’s weaknesses.

Prince Charon, Relyt33, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  22. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Rather stupid? Let's not comment on that. Rather, let's consider how likely it is that the changes Diana will inevitably pronounce are to sink into the Citizenry. After all, for most of them, this way of life has been all they've known. And I rather suspect some of the leaders Diana's going to have to smack down enjoy their lot as it is now...

At least she's not dead. So no fear of certain vengeance-dispensing spirits coming looking for her.

...She's giving a 'Why can't we all get along' speech, isn't she? Or is it the 'You can be better than this!' kind?

Claim self-defence? Theana did make it quite clear she was going to go for your throat.

Yeah, I doubt she's going to drop any surprising ideas.

...A good start.

Better. Can't do much about the mess in the crowd, but you can blame that on her.

Maybe check she's not suffering too bad a concussion, too. Don't want her dropping dead in a brain-bleed later.

Plus, can you count on Diana being able to support your Godspeech with her own, given that she's not really tried to use it much, especially without the Lasso?

I know it stings, but maybe this is for the best, Renegade. Anything Diana gets them to do will only be a step up from what they are now.

Not unless Astarte speaks up, And I'm not sure she's in any shape for that...

Nope, looks like Diana's Truth-based mind-whammy did a real number on her.

In case that doesn't make sense, consider the following: steel wrapped in silk. Which sums up Diana pretty well.

Heh, now's the chance for a little trolling.

Let's hope they take it to heart. Perhaps you'll need to leave them with a 'Don't make us come back here...' threat.

Admittedly, I doubt Theana is quite as dangerous to Diana as her mother was. Meaner and bitchier, maybe, not not that better a fighter.

Yes, that would make even Batman go 'Seriously?'

If not there's always some manner of psycho-surgery possible. Genomorphs, for example.

Just make sure you don't use one of the other rivers... Some of those have nasty side-effects...

Yeah, not the biggest loss. And it'd give her a second chance to have a normal life (for an Amazon, at least.)

Hopefully that doesn't leave her as a little girl in a woman's body...

Hopefully they have some way to bind her enhanced abilities down to a safe level, or she could get a little rough.

Yeah, Diana is spreading herself a little thin, with so many jobs... On the other hand, most don't require much of her time...

Hopefully crippling their ships afterwards to prevent them up and leaving. Something like that unfortunate Gordanian Clan...

On the upside, Vega does have a Lantern Corps right there. That might encourage them to be a little less dickish to their new neighbours.

...Oh, she's good. I didn't realise she'd even noticed their little byplay.

Oh, that's not good. Hopefully nothing major...

:eek: ...Well, shit. Someone's about to die. Messily.

Hmm... Grayven-16 taking advantage of the Renegade's being distracted with the Citizenry, or some unrelated matter of someone who really hasn't been paying attention? Could this be Arion the Elderly coming to poke the beehive? ...Has the Renegade left any other enemy alive willing and capable of attacking his family? At any rate, they're about to get a lesson in fatherly overprotectiveness.

23. AmericanNumbers

AmericanNumbers Making the rounds.

Umm. Someone is attacking Lynne?
    Yikes.

This is gonna be ugly.

Prince Charon and FourthPear like this.
  24. Darko

Darko Well worn.

So Diana may create an interstellar force of noble warriors.

True, but i think the renegade was describing himself there as the iron to Diana's silk.

Far weirder things have happened.

A demigod forcing another demigod to talk to their younger self is one of the least weirdest things.

I think she was a teenager when she was taken.

If not then the daughters of Herakles, or some other super strong Amazons, can keep her under control.

They're villains.

Don't expect them to do the smart thing.

25. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I knew it! I knew it! This was a distraction and it was so obvious! Come on, Grayven, you're supposed to be the Renegade for Source's sake!

Leave Diana to her self-imposed mess, now there's no time to nor will she let you erase them. Now it's time for the main event and you're in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and part of your fleet is out of position as well. And there better not be any kind of imminent danger to Lynne; nobody touches the most important person, and possibly future Mind Ruler, of this universe!

26. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Spare quotation mark at the end there.
    Well... she doesn't seem to be in a "I'm going to die in the next five seconds" panic, so they at least haven't been hit with an overwhelming initial strike.

27. Old Knife

Old Knife Know what you're doing yet?

I'm curious to see how powerful Ace is now that she's had Goddess-hood and all those tutors for what seems like several years of training.

28. JamesEye

JamesEye Not too sore, are you?

DEFEND SPIDER DAUGHTER WITH ALL POSSIBLE ORDINACE!

29. Otto von Saurion

Otto von Saurion Father of Wetlands

…That’s not Spider-Guilders-daughter. That’s Justice-Lords-versus-Thanagarian-hyperspace-bypass-daughter.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Versed in the lewd.

I will laugh if it ends up that Grayven did the exact thing I suggested he might and bypassed Vega to strike the place Renagade actually invested himself in.