1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless magic was used in its creation.

2. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

"What happens if you drop an apple?"

"Well it falls, duh."

"How fast does it fall?"

"92.541 hooves per second per second."

"And you know the world is round?"

"Well yeah. Otherwise we wouldn't have a horizon. Anypony with wings can tell you it's round."

"And if you're on the other side of it, which way do you fall?"

"Still down, duh."

"Our down, or their down?"

"Down from wherever you are towards the center of the planet."

"And you know how big Wilson is?"

"Yeah, that's a little basic trigonometry."

"And you know the air gets thinner the higher you go."

"Yep, less air, less wind resistance slowing you down."

"So if you were above the air so it wasn't slowing you down, and you fall at 92.541 hooves per second per second, how fast would you have to be going sideways to... miss the ground? And where would you land?"

"... ... ...it just moves... What... what is Celestia even doing? I don't... But the SUN moves around US... no. No, we'd be the apple... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

"Uhm, are you oka-"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

"I'll come back later."

---

"You did it again, didn't you Grayven."

"Yes, your highness. Sorry, your highness."

3. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Is it really giving her a day off when there's still all that pesky monarch business to attend to?

Though I guess it'll be funny having them go through all this trouble when apparently Celestia and Luna can just make an amulet that lets others handle sun and moon duties.

Cuchulin, Doccer, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

I remember a fanfic where the rings were actually an old training toy for Celestia that she used when she was still a foal but after she got her cutie mark I think.... I have no idea where it is though on Fimfiction been many years now since I read it.

Impatient_Quill, Cuchulin and Doccer like this.
  5. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I used to think that Grayven was going to mess up a pretty decent arrangement, but somehow canon Twilight manages to FUBAR things enough that Gen5 happens. So....

My pet theory is that without windigoes, there is no more evolutionary impetus for harmony and something something. Magic does not happen.
    Worryingly, Gen5 seems to be merely hundreda, not thousands of years after. Gen4.

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Not mutually exclusive, the Key gave the Flash a vision of an alternate history in which his origin is getting a speed ring from a dying Fastbak.

So if Zoat wasn't a grognard who rejects a concept introduced 3 decades ago there could be a world with an alt.Paul who is a member of the Flash Corps.

Cuchulin likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They can quit as monarchs whenever they want, and all that happens is a few years of political turmoil. If they don't move the sun, everything dies.
    That was after I stopped watching. Sounds stupid.
    3 minutes or 3 decades, if it's pants-on-head it's being excluded.

And being pants-on-head is far more serious to a British person than an American.

8. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

So what is the planetary system of Equesteria like? I know it is like 8 times larger surface area than earth, but how do the heavenly bodies interact with eachother? Has it ever been explained anywhere?

Lord Ernest, Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

The nature of the stars visible from the surface of Wilson hasn't been explained. I'm inclined to assume that the rest of the universe works on normal laws, but since I don't intend to feature an Equestrian space program it doesn't really matter.

I rather like that in Fallout: Equestria the ponies who survived the war completely freaked out when they saw the first eclipse.

10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well the FiM fandom is way more divided that the Sonic one. Mostly on what season ruined everything or if the show, save for the comunist pony takeover season, was good from the first season to the last.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. ForeverShogo

Oh, there are many things about the final season that are stupid.

After Celestia and Luna decide to retire and force Twilight to do their jobs instead, which is kind of mean to Luna when she missed out on 1000 years of rulership, they decide they don't even want to put up with moving the sun and the moon anymore. So they imbue some special amulet with a portion of their power so that Twilight, or really anyone magically gifted, can do it.

Well, they call it an amulet but it's some kind of clockwork device. Twilight is pretty terrible at using it.

===

And of course Gen 5 didn't surprise me in the least because even in Gen 4 Ponies were shown to be pretty damn xenophobic. Even if it usually expressed itself in just over the top fearfulness rather than rage.

Like, all it took to incite a race war bad enough to bring back the Wendigos was for Tirek to screw with their crops and Chrysalis to go around in disguise claiming that the Earth Ponies were planning to hoard food and leave Unicorns and Pegasi to starve. It gets undone when the students of that Friendship School remind them that friendship is a thing. Because, you know, the inferior non-Pony races needed to have the concept of friendship taught to them by the Pony master race.

Well, I say race war but it was so basic that if that was really all it took to make Wendigos show up . . . Yeah. I can definitely see Gen 5 happening if one assumes Ponies managed to permanently rid themselves of them. Because it really does feel like the only thing holding their society together is the fear of being killed by ice spirits.

Like this comic, actually.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  12. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Every story has a lesson to teach us. Be it by example, or by counter-example.

Anyway my preferred equestrian cosmology is one where the equestrian universe is extremely small and magic heavy.
    You have two base kinds of magic. Mechanistic magic which is just extra layers of physics, and Abstractive magic where the systems of magic are governed by some level of intelligence or system imposed by an intelligence.

13. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

But what about abstractive magic that arises from a collective intelligence? Could this not then be traced back to physics, as physics and logic is what gave rise to intelligence as we know it? Not that anyone could tell the difference.

mastermenthe and Xmaster3000 like this.
  14. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Hmm maybe. I think every universe must always be traced back to a mechanistic origin. There are always some fundamental set of invariant rules that determine how a universe works. So then magic is a sliding scale. "how artificial is this". You could have anything from sufficiently advanced nanotech used by regressed neo-barbs. But you could also have a universe like Aurbis where the mechanistic universe is a random high energy state and the entire world that humans inhabit is literally a simulation/dream of a Boltzmann brain.

And then you have Exalted, which is sort of similar. The background is that the true universe is essentially randomness and every single phenomena that humans experience is actually directly managed by spirits / some sort of intelligence.

15. Threadmarks: Krummkreuz (part 5)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    21:46 GMT +1

Unable to detect-.

Yes, I know. Obviously he'd be blocking things like that. Just go through the faces one by one and highlight matches.

Compliance. Working.

"…to know that she is well."

Tante Gerri smiles at me as we fly in the direction of what was once Greece. The maps I've seen show it split between Germany and Italy, and I don’t actually know whether there's a real 'Greece' left to speak of. I don't remember much about Greek participation in World War Two on Earth Prime, but on Earth 16 they saw off the Italians before being smashed by the Germans and brutally occupied until near the end of the war.

Here… They were brutally occupied until near the end of the war. Then they were annexed.

"Your alter-ego was one of the first people she asked about, once she woke up."

"I have an alter-ego?"

"Oh yes. You're just about old enough that-."

She mock-frowns. "It's not polite to talk about a woman's age like that."

"My gran used to say that at a certain age it becomes a source of pride."

"Hah! I am not that old." She looks curious. "Is she like me, this other Gerte von Hohenbrauer?"

"I don't believe that she uses the 'von', but I don't know her that well. I believe she shares the same close friendship with Doctor Kameya that you do, which was a surprise for Angelika when she found out."

Ms. Brauer doesn't twitch in the slightest. And I'm fairly confident that she isn't going to ask any questions where there's the slightest chance of being overheard.

"It's good to know that she has some familiar faces."

"Though in our parallel her first name is 'Valerie'."

"Her actual first name, or has she just taken a 'European' n-?"

"Donner, Atom Man, prepare to deploy."

Ms. Brauer nods at The Bat's voice, checking her communication earpiece and throat mike before moving towards the cargo door, keeping a firm grip on the hand holds. She has the same Danner enhancements as her Earth 16 doppelgänger, but that doesn't stop her being tossed around if she isn't anchored. Atom Man on the other hand has an anchor system built into the boots of his kryptonian-derived power armour, and is content to stay in the middle of the hold to await deployment.

I could have flown ahead, but The Bat wasn't keen. He fed me a line about his honour not letting him let me face the danger alone, but… Well, it's not as if I let Angelika out of my sight until I was sure she wasn't going to try re-enacting the Holocaust. While I'm fairly confident that none of the superheroes they have on hand could stop me, they can at least keep tabs on me.

I hear the quiet sound of bullets hitting the aircraft's force field. Not too bad at the moment, but someone unfriendly knows that we're here.

"Enemy superhuman en route. Deploy-" The side of the aircraft drops away. "-now."

Ms. Brauer leaps first, falling a dozen metres to the Greek street below. Atom Man follows her out, using his armour's flight system to land far more gently. I fly out after him, generating a construct shield to cover us from the sporadic automatic weapon fire.

Ms. Brauer stands, nodding. "We're down."

"The Bat pulling back." Thrusters burn as the owlwing turns away and rises at speed. "I will stay on station in case you need emergency evacuation or fire support."

Atom Man deploys his forearm-mounted weapons, several parts of them glowing a familiar green.

"I think we can cope with some uppity subhumans, yes?"

"What do you call it if a subhuman is also a superhuman?"

"Unnatural."

He raises his right arm and a lance of… Yes, that's a kryptonite laser, flickers out and hits the person shooting us in the chest. Their torso sort of collapses inward as their centre collapses in a cloud of ash.

"We could use some prisoners, Atom Man."

"This is the fourth operation I have been on against these subhumans. The ones with guns don't know anything."

He lands, then begins walking in the direction of the screams.

"Usually, we call them 'empowered subhumans'. When they are not race traitors." Ms. Brauer marches after Atom Man, and I float along just behind her. "The local garrison should have evacuated people by now, but… Ah. We are near the Italian border."

"And they're less strict about enforcing certain laws?"

"When it comes to the border, yes. They cannot afford to be too blatant; Greater Germany is a great deal more powerful than Italy."

"Does Italy want something?"

"Yes. Greece. They cite the old links between Rome and the Eastern Empire. Hitler said that if they wanted it that badly then they should have fought for it harder."

"You understand that I have no interest in fighting an international war for the Reich?"

"We would not want you to. 'Survival of the fittest', yes?"

"Of all the parts of the ideology for you to ke-."

Atom Man slams into my construct barrier back first, dents clearly visible in the front of his armour!

"Atom Man, report!"

"I have found… Found the deviant."

He pushes himself off the construct, floating in the air as his armour shimmers with green light.

"I recognised her. I think she is one who fought for America during the war."

"Are you injured?"

"Nothing I cannot heal."

"Okay, who-?"

A red blur flies past Ms. Brauer, knocking Atom Man into the sky! I fly up, keeping him in sight as he raises his fists overhead and slams them down on his attacker with a blast of green energy! His attacker lets go and he continues on a ballistic arc-. Does he not have stabilis-?

My construct shield shudders as whoever this is decides to assail me instead, giving me a brief view of a madly-grinning face before they pull back, heading back to ground level faster than I can easily follow with my unaided eye.

Fortunately, my rings can track better than that.

I form a railgun and fire.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think that should say 'Does Italy want something that Germany has?'

Uh oh. What are the odds that this is Wonder Woman?

That should say 'His'.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'leaps first' or 'lands first'.

I'm getting some Wonder Woman vibes here.

And here's a Flash.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wait, why is he suddenly taking part in their fighting? They wanted to find a magic user, not help the Nazis.

19. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Because he thinks their cooperation may be necessary and is thus helping them.

Also, finding a magic user, or at least one willing to help since Atlantis may not give a shit, could take time and they may not have time if the demons get a foothold on this Earth.

20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Interesting. He's looking for someone? Presumably scanning for Doctor Mist, in the hopes of getting some local arcane backup, whatever the card-carrying members of the Party think about it. Good plan. Always have a backup.

The best part, his erstwhile 'allies' here don't even know he's doing it. You can tell they've never encountered a real Lantern before...

The benefit of having a local heroine to inspire them, I suppose. You know, Diana of Themyscria? But here, Diana met a worse fate, and, well...

Though with a subtly different backstory. Mostly in the more recent years.

Ah, that Danner Formula. Always making it hard to keep track of people's ages. :D Remember the debacle with 'Doctor Munro'?

Well, she's a tall, blue-eyed blonde. So you've got being the Aryan Ideal in common? :p

That's Blitzen, of the Shadow Cabinet, in case anyone's wondering. And that's probably very sensible of her, given their companion...

The joy of parallel, but not identical universes, given the same basic starting point.

...An interesting teammate for a half-kryptonian. I would hope he's not too indiscriminate with whatever weaponry he's packing.

Heh, almost like a living bomb, ready to be dropped. And probably as destructive, if a little slower about it.

At least you're being understanding about the short leash they're trying to keep you on. I suppose playing along will make it easier to get what you want...

Because while a Danner-enhancile is tough, bullets still sting. And while I'm assuming Atom-man's armour is resistant, it still has weak points...

Nothing says fun like being able to call in a strafing run. Though it's probably overkill for any mundanes or low-durability supers.

Not quite Iron Man, but I can appreciate German engineering. Pity about the pilot.

...Best not mention your family lineage, then, OL.

Because, as Warhammer 40k lore has taught me, Laser weaponry is not as pretty as movies make it look. That ash is basically the unfortunate target's organs being combusted via transfer of heat. A lot of heat in this case...

On the other hand, a couple of the ones with guns might well be Superman and the Kants in disguise... Though I suspect the latter will recognise their ally's distinct weaponry and be prepared to avoid it.

No love lost between the nations, then. Because just because they were allies, didn't mean they liked each other.

Whatever they can get their hands on? I can imagine they feel a bit of 'small man's syndrome'...

Worth noting, the latter party, The Byzantine Empire based in Constantinople, ruled for about a thousand years, more or less... Whereas Rome collapsed a lot sooner. Probably felt a bit of an insult that Germany wanted to make a thousand-year-Reich...

Eh, look at it this way, OL. Sooner this gets settled, sooner you can be back home on Earth-16.

Well, there's trouble.

Chances are good that's Earth-Hell's Wonder Woman. Which is rather ironic, given their current location.

Hard man, eh? No big loss, though, if he gets his ass kicked...

Hmm... If he's flying, probably not the Flash. Earth-Hell's Captain Marvel? Or it could still be Wonder Woman. Not like her outfit features that much blue... And she is reasonably fast.

The joy of knowing how to deal with speedsters.

Well, battle is joined. I hope the Kryptonians made it through in this group, if only so they can co-ordinate. But now OL faces a conundrum: use lethal force against what may be heroes from Earth-Hell, or try to capture them, only for the Nazis to try and finish them off... Either way, I don't think whoever it is will make it easy for them.

...several parts of it glowing a familiar green.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

They have encountered a GL before, though they just negotiated then, so they most likely have not seen what a fully powered Lantern can do.

It might not get him killed, just prevent him from holding political office.

Unless Mist managed to change his face as a precaution.

22. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Well if you needed a heavy hitter, WW is a good choice.

23. ForeverShogo

Guess it can be chalked up to greater levels of confidence with Kryptonian tech at their back, but Hitler thought it was too much of a pain in the ass to put resources towards destroying Greece as a nation when the invasion of the Soviet Union was coming. Which led to the Axis setting up a collaborator government and calling their puppet the Hellenic State.

Italy was mostly just gonna grab some islands from Greece. Though they were also going to have a chunk of northwestern Greece annexed into Albania. Since Italy had plans to eventually annex Albania that just meant Italy would have a delayed annexation of all their ambitions for Greek lands.

Bulgaria was gonna annex the bits they wanted.

Occupation wise, Italy dealt with most of Greece. Bulgaria was focused on just the parts they wanted to annex. Germany occupied the bits considered most strategically important.

So effectively the Axis was going to annex most of northern Greece and let a puppet regime keep what was left over. Just in case people wanted to know the plans without alien supertech or superpowers or whatever.

24. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

What made Gerti 16 drop the official "von" from her name? Did she sell it? Did her parents?

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Germany has been trying to make aristocratic titles go extinct. She did it for the same reason why her surname is officially Brauer rather than Hohenbrauer, to distance herself form the rest of her family.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'm surprised the Nazis experimented with kryptonite weapon systems , that suggests a distrust of their golden boy Karl that I didn't think would be admitted to.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I checked, and this error is still there.
    That should say 'His'.

28. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Perhaps to look less aristocratic? Like the French nobles who quietly dropped "de" during the revolution?

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or they didn't want to waste anything they found and kryptonite lasers are just really powerful.

ChestBurster and Ardy like this.
  30. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

So this female speedster was around for the war and is possibly connected to the United States? I put forth Miss America, who (depending on the power set Mr Zoat chooses) can control her lifespan. Seeing as Germany’s nonsense could give any superhero a potential nudge to start minmaxing with their powers, I’ll suggest that she cracked a form of super speed.

ChestBurster and Cuchulin like this.