1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Unless the story has changed since I last heard all the details it was just a bunch of unicorns, including Star Swirl The Bearded, that did it every day before Luna and Celestia took over, which would make the rings just another of the many, many magical artifacts seemingly designed just to ruin people's days that exist in MLP.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No. And as a pegasus pony, she wouldn't be able to cast it anyway. She just needs an archmage to cast it.
    That was the Hearthwarming story, but it might not be historically accurate.

3. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

I would put more stock in the pre-Celestia artifact. Someone had to control the sun before Celestia was around and this may have been there attempt to automate the process rather then use the kid-friendly, Unicorn version of human sacrifice. Which is kinda strange since the whole place reminds me of Aztecs buildings.

Personally never understood the threat of 800 years of Sweltering Heat. I’m Texan, I live in Texas, sweltering heat describes 10/12 months of the year, with the last 2 months, fluctuating weekly between freezing cold or more sweltering heat.

While that’s true, this is essential a Christmas story that includes daily human sacrifice. I will acknowledge that they wouldn’t be the first civilization that tried to control the sun. But the fact that the human sacrifice is still apart of the story even after it’s been altered through the years maybe the grain of truth in a made up story.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    mastermenthe likes this.
  4. asparagus

asparagus Know what you're doing yet?

It's funny, even though I read a 2 million word MLP fanfic in a little over a week last month, I still sort of agree that there's some mood whiplash with the actual Pony world scenes. Didn't feel like that when it was just Sunset, and when it's full arcs there it's also fine, but just one off chapters feel a little weird sometimes.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or maybe no one controlled the sun before Celestia came along and it functioned like the one in our world, but then Discord did something to it and Celestia needed to control it.

Two words: Global Warming.

And all the things that it brings with it, like icecaps melting, environmental damage, extinction of animal species, disease etc.

Khornelius likes this.
  6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

If you see Dream himself being lazy under a tree is not an ordinary tree.

Even if it is the new Dream aka his son.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Daniel, the 'new Dream', is alive and still human in this story.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

9. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

That’s a fair point, if all the ice on Earth melted and never refrozen then about 80% of Texas would be under water again. We’re a stubborn lot but I don’t think I need to explain the futility in firing buckshot into the ocean to stop it from rising.

I hadn’t considered the environmental impacted on plants and animals. I guess I’m to used to the robustness of cacti, weeds, and livestock.

Admittedly I don’t quite get the disease part.

10. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Global warming= more mosquitoes, more mosquitoes more of mosquito driven diseases like malaria and dengu fever.

Probably other factors too, but that's the simple version.

Finerc, Khornelius and Vorian like this.
  11. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

High temperatures speed the process of rotting, and also provides optimal conditions for bacterial reproduction.

Also as previously mentioned, all those dead things make for many corpses. Being near a corpse is obviously not great.

Khornelius and Vorian like this.
  12. Michael Vonica

Michael Vonica Know what you're doing yet?

First would be mass migration from the coasts, which would carry conflict and disease with it.

13. Threadmarks: Krummkreuz (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

16th September 2012
    13:44 GMT -7

"Yeah, that's a… Giant pile of rubble alright."

I nod, which is a decidedly difference experience now that I'm back in pony form to try and avoid terrifying the locals. There isn't much they could do against me physically, but I have a vague recollection that Wilsonian trolls can be killed with soap and my resilience doesn't stop me from tasting soap if it gets in my mouth. Soap from civilisations at this level of technology is some pretty nasty stuff, and I don’t want to be attacked by scrubbing brushes.

"It's a fortress!"

Ah…

I try hard to see it. And… Yes, those look like carved stones, but whatever smashed it made it virtually impossible to tell what shape it used to have.

I give Miss Dash a sceptical look. She meets it, then looks at the rubble pile.

"It was a fortress."

"Yeah. Okay. The rings?"

"They were inside. Except-." She darts off and then stops, studying the ground. "It was…" She darts right and then swoops down, landing on the ground.

I walk over. "Yes?"

"Daring Do and me got the biggest ring out of the fortress so it couldn't be used."

"Out of…" I pointedly look at the rubble pile. "The 'fortress'?"

"Yeah-. Okay, they probably couldn’t have used it after the fortress fell apart and the plinth disintegrated, but we-." She frowns. "I didn't really think about it at the time."

"Are you thinking about it now?"

"Yeah. Look."

I look. She's pointing with her right forehoof at… Pieces of broken pottery with gold… Coating on…

I lift them up and fuse the broken segments back into a ring. I can't tell if there's any sort of residual magic here, but I'd guess not. Low quality enchanted objects like this tend to lose power if they're this badly broken, but Sunset might be able to get something out of it.

I don't think there are any enchantments you could put on a ring like this that could control the sun.

"Now do you believe me?"

"I'm perfectly happy to accept that you and… Is Daring Do a doctor of archaeology?"

"No."

"Miss Do got into a fight here. Clearly, you knew where this ring was before we arrived. But… I'm not seeing anything that proves the whole 'control the sun' thing. Was it just this ring?"

"No. There were a whole pile of rings. That's just the biggest."

"Okay. Where are the rest?"

From the way she glances awkwardly at the pile of rubble, I think I can guess.

"They kinda got… Crushed."

Hm.

"Okay, look, I understand that you're an elite athlete, but how the heck did you do that to an actual stone fortress? Explosive decompression? Can you make pressure differentials strong enough to break stone? Because if you can, Tempest's going in completely the wrong direction with her training."

"No? It just kinda fell apart once we got the last ring off."

"Huh." I frown thoughtfully. "That's interesting."

"It is?"

"It implies that the rings are some sort of regulator system, and that the spell was bound into the structure of the fortress. Without the rings, the spell itself tore the building apart."

"Soo… You believe me?"

"I didn't disbelieve your claim to have adventured with Daring Do, I just disputed your belief that this place could have done anything to the sun." I shake my head. "This is a lot easier in systems like mine."

"What do you mean, 'systems'?"

I generate a massively oversimplified model of the Sol system.

"The sun is huge, and the planets move around it due to a combination of momentum and gravitational attraction. No deific involvement is necessary."

Rainbow Dash stares at the system. Then she cranes her neck to stare a little closer. Then she narrows her eyes so that she can… Cut down the glare?

"I don't… I don't get it."

"Most worlds don't have someone like Celestia or Luna to push celestial bodies around. Much as 'wild weather' is in fact normal weather -though props to the Equestrian Weather Service's advertising department, that's some impressive need-generation-through-reframing there- so the arrangement Wilson has where Celestia and Luna manage the movement of the sun and moon is in fact highly abnormal."

Miss Dash can't seem to keep her eyes off the slowly rotating planet.

"So who moves it?"

"Who makes weather in the Everfree?"

"No-. One…" Her eyes widen, then she blinks. "Whow. So it just… Moves?"

"Most star systems are like this. Wilson is a bit of an oddity. It-."

Her eyes are slightly unfocused and her head is tilting slightly to the left. Ah… Luna's going to be annoyed if I break one of Twilight's coterie.

I dismiss the construct, causing her to blink and refocus. "Breathe, my little pony, breathe."

"I'mokay!" She shakes her head and regains her focus. "I'm okay. It just moves. Okay, sure, why not?"

I wave off the dart drone that had appeared behind her.

"I suspect Discord is the reason why this system is as it is, and obviously neither Celestia nor Luna knew that this arrangement wasn't the usual way to do things when they took control."

"And they've… Just been going and going ever since. So…" She glances at the rubble hillock. "What's that got to do with this place?"

"Nothing directly. Though if it could control the sun in some way… We could give Celestia a day off."

"Yeah, but…" She flaps a little way off the ground and gestures to the rubble. "It's kinda been destroyed."

"Do you remember the internal dimensions?"

"Ah… Some of them." She manages a small smile. "They actually had a piranha pit. Classic!"

"In that case, you and I need to redraw as much of the design as we can. While we're doing that, I'll have the genomorphs go through the rubble and try and make some sense of it. Once we've got some idea of what we're doing, I can have the genomorphs start rebuilding."

"You're going to rebuild it? Why? The thing they put all the rings on turned to dust after we took them off."

"Because I'm interested in the core spell. This…" I wiggle the ring back and forth. "Isn't exactly impressive, but it worked. With the sort of techniques at my disposal, I could easily have something better made, but I need to know what the spell it was directing did first."

"I get it. The only way you can find out is if the fortress is in one piece. And then Princess Celestia can have her first day off in a thousand years." She nods. "Let's get started."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    boo600, tripcode, Phili and 144 others like this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though they do have gods that may do that, but those gods aren't necessarily required for the sun and moons to move, while on Wilson they are.

'thing they put'

'then Princess Celestia'

16. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Man, I really should go back and rewatch MLP. Been way too long since I saw it, and I never even finished the show in the first place.

'one'

'then'

17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I get that it's supposed to be a surprise, but maybe you should discuss this with someone beforehoof?

Celestia is already on edge around Grayven as is...

18. Vice Xarno

Vice Xarno Versed in the lewd.

Man I hope Renegade meets Ahuizotl who explains why he does what he does, and the whole Sun for 800 years was actually a desperate last ditch protocol thing.

heck I would actually think Renegade might (rightfully)assume the reason Ahuizotl does what he does is because it’s his JOB. Because that seems like something they would assume.

19. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I see what you did there.

20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Totally agree. This IS going to go off the rails, isn't it?

21. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

I know it was not touched on during the show, but we know Luna can handle the sun herself.
    I would not be surprised if Celestia begged Luna's help to sleep in within a couple weeks of her return.

22. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    I stopped watching when that school nonsense started.

23. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Grayven really shouldn't be surprised that someone wanted to come up with an alternative to Equestria having complete control over the course of the sun.

24. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Your resilience might not prevent you from tasting soap, but your power ring should (I remember Paragon making things taste like blackcurrant to himself), unless the resilience means he can't even do that with his ring (which seems a bit unfair- the ring is a tool of his so it should be subordinate to his desires and drives, especially once Hinon unlocked the propriety function).

25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't remember if she did that either renegade, but even if she did it may not matter what his desires are since his divine nature would automatically resist any changes.

26. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

What happened with the Tree?!
    Could point out she's basically just stealing artifacts and talk about the history of how museums got started based on theft.
    Now tell her about Galaxies and show her a model if the milky way! And be sure to point out that tiny insignificant glowy dot is the entire Sol System in comparison!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  27. Mr Zoat

It treed on him.
    Wouldn't have the same effect. She doesn't have a preconceived notion of how a galaxy should behave.

Also, does anyone know what G1 episode the soap thing comes from? I spent a little while trying to locate it but got nowhere.

28. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

She did do that to Renegade as well, I believe soon after she saw his orchestration of the public execution of the First Citadelian on Tamaran by the princesses.

Edit: scene in question:

I know his divine nature is what prevents things like permanent boosts from Velocity 9 and other stuff, but that's fairly clearly a Watsonian justification for the Doylist motivation to keep him (relatively) underpowered. Intelligently-used superspeed would be a game-changer in a lot of contexts, though of course not all (I wonder what Paragon or a Paul would have done if their original power was the Flash powerset instead of a power ring, actually).

If something is fairly clearly a net boost/improvement to you and something within your complete control, I think you could easily argue that it's metaphysically compatible with a divine nature of Conquest. It's not like Conquest is a static or one-dimensional concept either, as shown most prominently by all the Grayven v. Renegade fights and their different applications of the domain.

29. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I think I remember the Renegade noting that Velocity 9's effects grew shorter each time he used it. It's possible that Velocity 9 and other temporary serums do nothing to him now.

Cuchulin and DrThoth like this.
  30. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

He's not joking, either. Pre-industrial soap had some nasty stuff in it. Though, if he didn't want to taste it, his Orange Ring could handle it for him... Briefly? Or has he simply become so accustomed to using his New God abilities he doesn't even think of using the Power Rings for something that mundane? How far he's fallen...

Well, they were thorough, if nothing else?

I suppose the Renegade does have high standards for his fortresses.

Well, so much for them. I doubt much of anything would be intact after that much rock fell on it.

Yes, very heroic of you.

Adrenaline's a heck of a drug, huh?

...So, the rings weren't even actually gold. Merely plated. I suppose that explains how they could lift them, since a gold object of the size shown would likely have folded under its own considerable weight.

Maybe it was a modular thing? Or some kind of cumulative bonus...

...I'm honestly surprised Ponies even have a concept of Archaeology. Though I suppose there's bound to be some-Ponies interested in the distant past.

Or could it just have been some measure of hyperbole on Ahuizotl's part...

Take one guess... :rolleyes:

Into very, very small pieces, I would expect... Then again, the villains survived the collapse... I know, Kid's show, but still...

Well, the forces involved in a Sonic Rainboom might be quite considerable... Though not that easy to perform inside a building...

Kind of rare to actually see a Load-Bearing Artifact...

A nice theory, but how to test it? I doubt even Sunset or Twilight could pick up lingering traces in the stones... Well, maybe Twilight could.

Such is the nature of inadvertently Geocentric planetary systems. Though... Does the system even have other planets?

"Much tidier overall, if you ask me." I assume the system is considerably scaled down, like an orrery. Might be hard to see marbles hundreds of feet from a basketball...

I mean, it's not that hard. Big heavy thing makes smaller, less heavy things move around it in a near-eternal fall.

To be fair, I suspect when the Equestrians first arrived in the lands they now occupy, the weather was flat-out cataclysmic... Like, hourly tornados, that sort of thing.

It's called Physics. You know, the thing you make a mockery of simply by flying. :p

Well, perhaps she's having trouble with the sheer scale of things. Or maybe it was the planet fascinating her. Another world... With completely different weather? Her 'special talent' may well have been drooling in her subconscious.

Heh, always prepared, eh, Renegade? Given the reactions the last time he blew some Pony minds, I'm not surprised.

...Good question.

What's destroyed can be rebuilt. Isn't that basically the Renegade's whole MO? Break the thing, then fix it more to his liking? Unlike the paragon, who tries to fix things while they're still running.

Eh, if there's no rolling boulder, collapsing ceiling or pit traps, it's not a real dungeon.

Which smacks of either poor sense or good sense on the creator's part. Either they never considered someone might want to shut it down that way, or they rigged it to fail-deadly if interfered with by someone other than themselves...

And now I'm picturing that 'Pop-Team Epic!' meme of 'Aah, so it's like that, huh? (Totally doesn't get it...)'. It's all flying over her head, but doing something for Celestia? That she can get behind.

Well, it's certainly starting off with good intentions. Just remember to actually check with Celestia about this, because you know what's paved with good intentions... I get the feeling Ahuizotl will be very interested in the interlopers in his territory, though. Could result in a meeting later that lets him explain things. At any rate, at least we'll be back to OL tomorrow. Maybe we'll see what's been happening with Superman and the Kants