1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

At one point, the New Gods were decedents of the Marvel Norse gods from a previous crossover.

Bramble Thorn and Bud-E like this.
  2. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Yeah, Father Time has the power set, the connections in the US government structure and the connections with the apocalyptians to pull a switcheroo with Uncle Sam or even cause uncle Sam to have his comics split.

In the Paul time-lines he is still active with everything that entails.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  3. redleo37

redleo37 Getting some practice in, huh?

Think he’s heard about the binding spell that Hecate used and plans to bind the Spirit of America to himself (Presumably the Spirit of Political Corruption) or maybe the Light is planning on getting their own league of Gods on their side and go Titan Hunting.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Actually he kept that up.

Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers is about Orion's son who is a space cop, who as a kid was haunted by the "impotent ghost of his grandfather."

Something I remember when people gush about nigh omnipotent Darkseid ala Morrison, I remember Kirby wrote his fate as to be a harmless ghost so pathetic he has nothing better to do than try to terrorize a little kid who was his own grandson.

So the New Gods have their origin in Marvel, then existed in DC, and had a sequel in Pacific Comics.

Reminds me of Mantis, who showed up in JLA as Willow in DC, and then as Lorelei in Eclipse's Scorpio Rose.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's a shame Zoat seems to be ignoring that for his whole "gods are just creations of the dream" thing given it's one of the more interesting story points to come out of the whole New God thing.

6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Or it may be his split personality problem.

Prince Charon likes this.
  7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It can be both, as whatever it is that's steering Paul away from John is apparently opportunistic.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Stsword

Well if it's John and his Laughing Magician powers, than he makes his own opportunities, manipulating probability itself and all that.

I'm now picturing an amalgam, Wanda Constantine, the Scarlet Hellblazer.

Vorian, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Kirby's Darkseid was intended to be something like a paper tiger in a way that he only seemed powerful if people were afraid of him, but if they weren't then he wasn't that impressive.

10. Stsword

Yes, Kirby based Darkseid on Hitler and Nixon- His Darkseid was a lying shit weasel and the "I'm a god among gods, bow down to me in despair!" was propaganda bullshit straight out of 1984.

Then DC has made Darkseid's bullshit true to hype up the loser who has faced defeat for decade after decade, some of them rather humiliating.

The Hunger had Galactus and the Silver Surfer go through all of Apokalips' defenses and Apokalips was saved just because it was such a shithole it wasn't worth eating, for example.

But sure, Morrison, he's a multiverse destroying omnipotent being who has just been cosplaying as a loser since 1970 because reasons.

11. Threadmarks: Regnancy (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

29th October 2012
    23:52 GMT -3

Honestly, he acts more like a living statue than anything else.

It's not as if I bothered keeping track of Uncle Sam in any detail. Justice Society era records describe him as being stronger than he looks like he should be, tougher than he looks and able to fire Jubilee-grade bright lights from his hands. The one time I was forced to interact with him was at the ceremony marking the passing of the Citizenship Recognition Act, and he struck me as being… Really fake. Normally when someone goes on about principles that much while skipping actual policy, it's because they know their preferred policies would either alienate voters or be guaranteed to fail. I just decided to give him the benefit of the doubt because if anyone is going to be that patriotic, it's him, but…

But apparently it's not him.

My rings get confused when I try to scan him directly, but just asking for a visual image of the area he's in works fine. And he hasn't been doing anything particularly worrying in the half-hour or so since Lady Liberty alerted me to the possible problem, but…

For goodness sake, I'm supposed to be looking for John Constantine!

Okay, compose a message to Batman.

Ready.

Have spoken to the American Goddess of Liberty. She has stated that the person posing as Uncle Sam is not actually Uncle Sam. I have no further information at this time. Send.

Compliance.

Shaking my head, I look down at the Garden of Brasília. Euanthe doesn't like cities. Though she isn't actively hostile to humans, with Brasília abandoned and in ruins she didn't see any reason not to have fun with the place with her new High Priestess. Her temple-palace is a huge eyesore of flowers and leaves, towering over the vine-wreathed trees that are busy breaking down the stone, concrete, steel and glass that was once a city. If I remember Dr. Isley's work, a good deal of that breaking down is being done by microscopic plants rather than raw green magic. There are a few humans around, but most of the former inhabitants of the inner city have left as refugees. The favela residents with nowhere else to go mostly went the same way, but some have stayed on. It's actually a little safer to live in the city now compared to what it was like in the gang-infested parts before the Sheeda Harrowing, though the amenities aren't as good.

Reminds me a little of planet O. Have to see about getting one of the natives to visit, and probably someone from Alstair.

After I find-!

Djhurr.

Do I need an actual staff or something? People I can give these jobs to? And I can't even guarantee that I'm going to be able to give finding John my full attention after Hephaestaean is fully bedded in.

I fly over the woodlands, towards the temple-palace. Euanthe doesn't sleep but I think that Dr. Isley does. She still did at Arkham, and while she was active as Poison Ivy. But she hasn't been attending follow-up appointments while she's been in Brazil. Well, Euanthe's the one I want to talk to anyway.

I land on the… Courtyard? And walk towards the trailing fronds that cover the entrance. Hard to make a door out of living plants after all, and in Brazil keeping cool and dry is more of an issue than keeping warm.

"Euanthe? Are you at home?"

She can't ordinarily hear through plants, due to plants not having ears and so not being able to hear. But she should be aware of the pressure of my body against the plant surface that I'm standing on, and feel the plant spores on my armour.

"Yes! Come in!"

I push through the fronds, walking through into a segmented, woody hallway. No leaves in here due to the reduced light level, but there are closed flower buds at short intervals along the walls. That's a Poison Ivy classic; they'll no doubt be loaded with some sort of unnatural mental influence pollen, assuming that it's not something more deadly.

Either of them can rearrange plant life as much as they want, but that sort of thing would get annoying if there was more than one person living in a structure. 'Hey, I was using that room!' I suppose that's why there's an actual structure here, rather than Euanthe just making what she wants as she wants it. Or maybe she just feels that she should just guide the plants a little but that using them and throwing them away would be wrong. Not.. so much morally wrong as out of order.

I come to a crossroads, and…

"Euanthe?"

Flowers along one of the corridors open, petals twinkling with bioluminescence. Not a characteristic those flowers usually have, so I guess that Euanthe has been listening to Dr. Isley.

I accelerate to a jog, hearing… Splashing ahead. I don't remember Euanthe needing to.. bathe. She's a plant. But maybe she likes the sensation of being rained on?

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything?"

"No."

That was Dr. Isley. She sounds awake at any rate.

I proceed to follow the flowers through the temple palace, eventually coming out onto a.. balcony. Above is a canopy of large bioluminescence petals, the walls covered in living vines and… The floor area is a plankton-filled pool. Dr. Isley is swimming in the deep part, and the water is green enough that I can't tell what she's wearing. Euanthe is sitting on a rock in the shallows, moisture from the shower-vines misting her as she plays with a pale-wooded miniature tree. As per normal, she's not bothered with any clothing, though her current body doesn't look 'feature complete'.

Dr. Isley stops swimming when she spots me, raising her right hand out of the water to wave. Her skin is back to medium green, which contrasts prettily with her red hair. Euanthe doesn't look up, but that's not unusual for her.

"What brings you here?"

"We overthrew Zeus. The new ruler wants to persuade Euanthe to branch out, and allow the other Olympians to proselytise here."

Dr. Isley breast strokes her way towards the shallows, leaves growing over her shoulders and down her torso as she emerges from the water. "What about Demeter?"

"She's the goddess of harvest and agriculture and she has tentatively agreed to return to work in that role. Rhea's not coming back-."

Euanthe's head jerks up. "You have seen Rhea?"

"No, but I met some of the children she had after she left. She's dead, I'm afraid."

"Oh." She freezes in place for a moment, then goes back to staring at her tree.

Dr. Isley fully leaves the water to stand on the wooden shore line. I fly down to her as she runs her hands through her hair, plankton blooming into decorative flowers.

"How long did it take you to learn that?"

"A little under a month. They don't last, but they're not supposed to. I'm glad I can understand that now."

I smile warmly. "So am I. What's with the tree?"

She looks around. "This one? I missed modern amenities. Euanthe tried to create plants that could provide them, but I don't think she really understood. Still, it's… Amazing, isn't it?"

"Yes, but I meant Euanthe's bonsai tree."

"She grew it from the wood you gave her from the Garden of Eden. Did that really happen?"

"Yes."

"Apparently, she's nearly managed to align it with the Green. When she does, every plant on the planet will burn any demon that touches it."

"And that's why we want her in the pantheon."

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  12. _The_Bomb

_The_Bomb Getting sticky.

…done by microscopic…

13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow. Every plant will burn demons? Sheesh, Euanthe casually doing what the Silver City never managed in millenia.

That alone should secure the New Pantheon endless followers. At least in...was it Fawcett City that got thrown into hell a while ago?

14. The Froggy Ninja

The Froggy Ninja The Blade Will Never Die

Interestingly, the Green as a whole definitely continues to exist and function off world. Swamp Thing went to space a couple times. If we assume different thaumospheres have their own Parliments, I wonder if that trick might proliferate through trade.

15. Whenever Possible

Whenever Possible Versed in the lewd.

Daniel Cassidy is going to need a Hazmat Suit for... everything, assuming he doesn't just end up living in space.

16. Achillesaurus

Achillesaurus Making the rounds.

Honestly, Poison Ivy would make a good high priestess. Give her a congregation who will listen to her talk about saving the planet, and maybe she'll actually be able to start saving it. The wealthy elite of Gotham probably weren't the best people to give feedback on her environmental warnings.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's finally seeing to that.

"needing"

Good, but Blue Devil may not exactly be a fan.

18. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

FTFY.

19. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Oh yeah. Might have to figure out a specific workaround for the guy or something.

20. Khornelius

Khornelius Overlord of the Underworld

Good grief, that would make Earth so unbelievably inhospitable to demons.

21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It will also mean the Silver City now controls The Green.

22. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

by

remember if Euanthe needs

23. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

And this is why Grayven doesn't like to have a Boss.

Oh El you helped the guy become a chief God, you don't owe him, he owes you, you don't need to work for him. He owes you three wishes and a goat.

24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And that's a big old warning there's something hinky about fake Sam. The real Sam would be more honest about things. Like the old saying: 'My country, right or wrong. If right, to keep it so. If wrong, to set it right.'

It's not like he'd be cackling to himself and rubbing his hands together in private...

:confused: Still can't be sure if it's just OL's scatter-shot nature, flitting from interesting issue to fascinating problem, or if Constantine really does have a 'quit looking for me' effect running...

Batman's thoughts: "Oh, what the fu-..." Seriously, OL dropping something like this on him? Even he'll be a little put out.

And that's just a matter of adjustment. After all, with a plant-demigoddess and a botanical scientist working together...

...And the 'leave me alone' effect hypothesis gets more likely. At this rate, he'll need to tell the Ring to remind him about Constantine every time he starts to get distracted...

Such is the joy of taking all that responsibility onto yourself.

True enough. At least they shouldn't have to worry too much about rot and decay, with living buildings.

...Unless she and Ivy have been getting creative.

Hey, don't be hasty. Maybe it's just a mild sedative scent.

Such is human nature. We like things consistent and reasonably reliable.

See? They have been getting creative. I bet the Parliament of the Green is paying very close attention.

:D ...Cue hurried sounds of dressing, or otherwise tidying up from doing something...

I mean, with the right biological tweaks, she might well have abandoned the need for it. Or she's just up real late.

...Ah, a hot springs episode. x3 How unexpected.

Well, she's definitely flush with Green power. Hopefully being more respectful of it, though.

Ah, the classic 'swimsuit of leaves' comic look. Nice.

Right, she'd been missing for a long time, wasn't she?

If you were expecting a more human reaction, then stop that, you silly person. :p Remember, as human as she looks, there's a very unique mind in there.

No doubt just as potentially dangerous as those in the hall. Or she just likes the way they smell.

So, no inclinations towards murderous rampages lately?

Perhaps if they could manage something for the human population, that'd be good...

Of course, it did piss off the original owners somewhat. But they're mostly assholes.

...That sounds like... Not such a great idea. What if it gives people more accustomed to using those energies a backdoor into the Green, never mind what it'll do to those Earth natives who might have issues with that sort of added feature?

So, fobbing the Uncle Sam thing off to the heroes, eh? Better than having him run himself ragged putting out brush fires, I suppose. It is interesting that even he seems to notice himself getting nudged away from focusing on John Constantine, though. Definitely making the likelihood that John set something up for privacy more probable. Let's just hope he can continue to deflect that deflection.

25. Akshka

Akshka Wait, am I lost?

well......that's good. So now the anti demon defense is too just have people carry living plants to smack a demon with.........neat

26. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

So all Plant Life becomes VASTLY more Sacred than they were before? Neat!

Guess Herb Lore is about to become an even more essential study of Witchcraft for mages to learn.

27. Brainwasher-Boy

Brainwasher-Boy Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

Didn't John mention a kind of magic that makes things time themselves just right for you? One of those magic Amish people from another dimension also talked about it and what it could do at more potent levels, something about being in sync with the universe?

What if all these problems that have been popping up lately are all unintended effects of John's (hypothetical) spell? The whole Zeus thing, the magic gun assassin, even things before that, all because John underestimated how far OL would go to finish a project.

I need to go back and see how many arcs have spawned out of situations coming from almost nowhere.

28. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except the Silver City is doing it right now, through Euanthe.

Which is how they work.

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Enochi like this.
  29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

If Euanthe's plan works out, throwing flowers at Devil Jizz users might actually be a viable tactic to neutralize them! If embarrassing for any police or military personnel involved (though maybe they'll shift to wooden bullets or something- Green Arrow can live up to the 'Green' in his name and teach everyone archery with Eden-wood arrows!).

One way I think Euanthe can fit into larger human society and even aid in the interstellar uplift and advancement is by making her halidom a source of magical natural resources, for medicine and other (al)chemical uses, wood, etc. (I'm thinking of Xianxia examples with some pretty trippy plants). She's not like Hyathis or Demeter because she's not defined by human(oid) notions of civilization, but she's an expression of the natural world, so why would she? Instead she could help create entire Nature Worlds and oversee the sustainable extraction and use of magical herbs and plant resources, communing with humans through intermediaries like Isley and the Accala (tribes may not be urban but that doesn't mean they don't extract natural resources or use them, just that it's on a smaller-scale and not (as) prone to exploitation). Odym seems like an example of an idyllic natural world, maybe she could create something like that, or be persuaded to make actual gardens too some degree.

If Paragon manages to get her some wood from Yggdrasil, he could possibly bring his Mother of Mercy-dream of creating a Root of Yggdrasil to allow thaumospheres to develop or propagate in space actually come true, even if it's basically only aligned towards Green and natural magic. Peaches of Immortality from Chinese/Taoist mythology, the apples of immortality and youth from the Garden of the Hesperides (which I think Hera owns) and the Norse Idunn respectively., and so on..Getting her to replicate magical plant-life on a big scale, even if it's reduced in potency to just promoting longevity (I'm not sure if Mother of Mercy actually qualifies as plantlife, and I don't think she and Euanthe have ever met, but that could also be interesting, and maybe a way to introduce Mongul back into the story and deal with him). Forcing human(oid) ideas of urbanization and industrial civilization onto a sapient life who has a totally different mentality, outlook and value system on the world (in a way, more alien than most of the aliens that Paul has met) just seems tasteless and a bit cruel. I know and understand that Paragon wouldn't be interested in this, but the New God Primitives and the Bug People seem like they'd fit in well in the world Euanthe has created. I'm surprised there aren't more dryads and more indigenous nature spirits making a reappearance and running around.

I more recently found out about the Wood Wide Web and how important symbiotic relationships between fungi and plants are, so I think/hope the Grey gets involved, I feel like that would be necessary to make something more self-sustaining- and definitely help in the deterioration and breaking-down processes (Apparently prehistoric trees just laid around for millennia after dying because nothing could consume them, until a fungus evolved to be able to decompose them, and most of our coal comes from those original trees just being deformed under sheer pressure and time). I think Euanthe was negotiating with non-plant nature spirits in Rhelasia when she created that magic forest that would attack people if they felled trees (like mountain/earth spirits she called oreades or something, even if they weren't Hellenic nature spirits), so I think it could be possible.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  30. Brainwasher-Boy

Brainwasher-Boy Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

We still don't know what was up with the sudden increase in Supergirls, or even the where or why of New Kara. And that just so happened to lead directly to the Earth 666 arc. We don't know who co-opted the magic demon guns to kill heroes.

Honestly, I'm even starting to be suspicious of Jade wanting to take a month vacation. I'm beginning to realize there are a whole heap of questions going unanswered because THINGS KEEP HAPPENING