1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Drop it or else.

2. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

There is absolutely no reason to believe that. He already knows he's not in a story he's read, people aren't acting out storylines he knows the end of. He just knows the approximate personalities of a bunch of people before meeting them; most socially-adept people do that all the time. Sociopaths rarely do.

Cuchulin, Windona and Ngamer11 like this.
  3. john doe 777

john doe 777 Know what you're doing yet?

Bullshit no priest says Christian priest they say catholic Protestant a servant of the lord etc but not Christian priest

4. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Vinny didn't, though? That was the internal narration of the Hellenistic POV character.

PDV likes this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Be a bit more human and friendly, then go to bed early.

6. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

31st December 2012
    12:23 GMT -5

Artemis looks at me askance.

"So… Nothing went wrong?"

"I don't know."

No Catholic priest in America named 'Bruno' matching that description. No Anglican priest either. Or Mormon or Methodist. Smaller denominations don't necessarily have their memberships listed in a simple and accessible format.

"Nothing went wrong with the technology or demonstration that I could see. No one attacked the sites. But there was definitely something odd about Father Bruno."

"Okay, I know you don't have a great relationship with Christianity, but doesn't mean that all priests are out to get you."

"I have nothing but respect for Father Mattias. But Father Bruno doesn't appear to exist."

Not as if there's a law against wearing clerical garb. Or any particular difficulty in getting one made even if there was.

"And Johanna hasn't mentioned him."

"Maybe because he's not suspicious?"

"He said that he did therapy work for the Alliance. And alright, that doesn't mean that he's a qualified therapist, but she's a Nazi raised as a living weapon. I'd give her therapy if she was going to work for me."

"Would you? Because…"

"Hah hah."

"Yeah, 'cause I was joking." She looks at the searches I'm running. "Okay, so maybe he's not a priest. Have you tried just.. searching on a description?"

"No."

"You thought he was suspicious. If he's ever been in prison just about anywhere, he'll be in the database."

"I know, it's just…"

I mean, there are probably plenty of people who fit his description, to say nothing of illusion spells and shapeshifters.

"Okay, ah… Black hair, over six feet tall, muscular build-."

"Ah, didn't you scan him?" She frowns. "Why don't you just put his exact description in the computer and see what comes out?"

"Ah, no, I-. Didn't?"

She tilts her head to the side and puts her right hand on her hip.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"I didn't scan him. Vincent Edge has something that blocks my sophisticated scans and exotic vision, but I've captured visual images of him every time we've met. I didn't scan Father Bruno at all."

"So just get it from your brain."

"Um."

"Paul?"

"Black hair, tan skin, big. Strong. Ask me what his nose looked like."

"Ah, okay. What did his nose look like?"

"I don't know. I spoke to him an hour ago and I don't know what his nose looked like."

"You've got perfect memory."

"I've got perfect memory and I'm trained to resist telepathy." I make a fist with my left hand and hold it out to the side, while I use Larfleeze's ring to project a construct image of the reception room. "Ring, recreate room as of eleven fifteen, play. Also, lantern."

My personal lantern appears from subspace.

"This is my cause, this is my fight,
    Shine through the void with orange light,
    I've claimed all within my sight,
    To keep what is mine, that is my right."

A wave of orange passes through me and the sleepy eye of the Ophidian briefly passes over me before it shuts down. And I watch myself with the reporters, the crowds in the reception area, then Mr. Edge walks over and…

"Did you imagine it?"

"Ring, sound recording."

"I told you I wanted you to meet Father Bruno." There's a pause. "Oh. Yeah. Of course." In my voice, then another pause. Then…

Nothing.

"Ring, where are the sounds?"

"Data not found."

"So I remember there being someone there, but I don't remember anyone other than Mister Edge and me talking to him, and there's no record. Ring, contact Alpha Centurion."

"Compliance."

"Yes?"

"Marcus, do you mind if I take a look at the internal security cameras for the Washington DC branch? I think someone who shouldn't have been there may have put in an appearance."

"Very well. Let me know what you discover."

"Of course. Thank you."

"File received."

"Show me this part of the room."

"View not found."

"Show me every face, and identify."

My ring connects to the mountain's hologram projectors, faces and identities flashing into being. No, no, no… No. No.

He's not there. No one who even meets his vague physical description.

"Ring, contact Alan Scott."

Alan's ring appears above my ring. "Paul? What's up?"

"Did you get introduced to Father Bruno?"

"Ah, yeah. We didn't speak all that long, but he said a few words. About how the Alliance has God's approval."

"What did he look like?"

"You forget already?"

"Humour me."

"Ah, tall. Black hair, tan skin. Big fellow."

"What did his nose look like?"

"Paul?"

"His nose, Alan. What did his nose look like?"

"I… I.. can't rightly remember. What-? What happened?"

"I don't know. But we both need to talk to Mister J'onzz."

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Interesting, a cursed/empowered prosthetic nose which erases the wearer’s identity…

8. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well nice to know Paul caught on quick after the fact how shady Bruno is.

Could be whatever makes him invisible to memory beyond vague description and even recordings is what also didn't set off alarm bells in Paul's head when actually taking to him. Kinda like a 'I am no threat' field or something.

9. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

No "Wholeness Rightly Assumed"? Also, this seems quite similar to John Constantine's normal thing.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Nice to see you looking into this.

I think there might be some laws about impersonating priests.

"of course". In"

'someone who'

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I love how LePaul gets so pissy any time someone gets one over on him.

But this one's especially hilarious given this is basically someone running around with a better version of his hidey tattoos. And he's basically super worried about someone doing to him what he's been doing to others since pretty much his arrival.

Revlis, Chefscobar and Istaran like this.
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, I know it sounds crazy to even suggest that, what with OL's track record of public appearances... But somehow, it did. Which is all the more concerning. And not even OL can deny it...

Ah, good to see he isn't completely at ease about it either.

True. Despite his track record with their heavenly bosses...

And many don't wear the iconic black cost and collar chip all day every day... Not that that's every demonination's outfit either. Look at how many televangelists do their shows in a basic suit.

Or they haven't met. Or she's already been mind-whammied and no-one noticed.

Rubbing a few people the wrong way, is she?

And look in places other than just the 'ordained priests' databases...

Complete with mugshots. And criminal history, which 'Ugly' Bruno would have a long list.

...And that sounds like he's trying to make excuses not to do it. Now where have we seen that before, hmm?

That is a damn good point. Even at the lightest level, he'd have some kind of data readings.

Ha, even she thinks it's odd he didn't.

And so many red flags are waving now that it looks like a Communist Party parade...

...Well, that's concerning. He actually forgot something while wearing the Rings? That's some serious mojo, whatever did it.

Because that's a readily identifiable facial feature most people notice.

...So, in this case, it's not as clear as the nose on his face? What, is his memory of Bruno just a silhouette?

Ooh, gonna bring out the big guns to crack this, eh?

...And I'm picturing him saying it like a commercial disclaimer, to hurry up the process...

So, Best Snek didn't notice anything wrong, since she'd be pretty annoyed if someone messed with her Agent's head.

Well, that's not concerning at all, no... [/sarcasm]

Either something erased it on site, or it never recorded anything at all... That's not good.

Let's see if he can remember what 'Father Bruno' looks like.

Ah, right. Marcus would probably be one of the most affected by whatever mental tricks they used, being one of the original members of the group...

Still, at least there was no difficulty in accessing their records. ...Probably means Bruno's covered his tracks too well.

Because of course he was able to stand in the one place no camera would see him. Assuming they weren't configured with that blind spot to begin with.

Surely they got an angle of you talking to someone who's not there, right? Unless you ended up in the same blind spot.

Good move. The more people informed about this, the better.

And I expect Alan would remember that.

Now, the acid test. Was it just focused on OL, or has Bruno been doing it to everyone?

And notice that he immediately moved to deflect the question? Interesting.

After all, doing that makes you focus on the memory. Not the Cliff's Notes version we use to narrow something down, but the actual memory.

Looks like Alan got the same treatment. Safe bet no-one else would remember that either, no matter who they asked. Even Vincent Edge himself.

Let's hope he can find something. And doesn't get his brain fried by a telepathic trap. :confused:

I'm getting the feeling Bruno has some variant of a 'Somebody Else's Problem' effect going on. Something to make his appearance so forgettable that you literally will forget it beyond 'tall, dark and built'. Even on recordings. And I don't think Bruno could come up with something like that by himself. Looks like he might be working with someone else with a lot of technological tricks available to them...

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or he has something on him that can fool even cameras.

It's probably not Grayven, but more likely Darkseid.

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

Most of the ones with that aren't in the US, and tend to be more of specific privileges invoked that are for various religious council that they wouldn't legally have, or using the garb to con someone...

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ah, the joy of reading competent heroes who actually check up on suspicious things.

Jaron, Bud-E, Prince Charon and 2 others like this.
  17. LiteraryChangeling69

LiteraryChangeling69 A lover of good literature.

Clearly he had a Pinocchio nose.

18. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Bullshit they don't. Have you met every single one of them? Using absolute statements just makes you absolutely wrong if there's a single outlier, and I've met a couple.

19. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

...So uh...

IS this a 'we don't talk about Bruno' reference/joke after all?

Just twisted into something involving the Eldritch unknown and mind warping concerns?

20. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

NO, No, no.

Rebu, Jaron, DrThoth and 3 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

No.

22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

No it's not or no it is?

23. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

True

DAT_NOOB, Coda, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  24. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. I was sort of thinking that they'd find out another way, like by Big Barda or Scott Free going through the Alliance of the Just(ified)'s teleporter and recognizing the horrible feeling of Anti-Life.

If something like that happens in the Renegadeverse (I don't recall whether the AotJ has been mentioned there), I'd expect Grayven to sense it for the same reason.

DAT_NOOB, BBJimmy, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  25. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Ok..... shooting in the dark here, but is this father more like the manifestation of a concept? Like Uncle Sam, the Endless, or Mr. Smiley? One that is forgettable by nature, but for the whispers in the ear?

kerleth likes this.
  26. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is Artemis and the rest of the team gonna join in on this it's been forever since they teamed up with Paul.

Prince Charon, Ardy and kerleth like this.
  27. Ciber

Ciber Know what you're doing yet?

Bls stop talking about Bruno.
    We don't talk about Bruno.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  28. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I don't think this would happen on the Renegade side. The Light 2.0 is there and Grayven is keeping an eye so that there is no Apokolips operation and/or infiltration on his planet.

Plus, ironically, Grayven's Earth is doing kinda better than the Illustres' Earth. No arcano-technological revolution but cheap energy and other innovations are majorly available, Africa got revamped, Sheeda attack was not as successful, no fuck up in South America, the UK got exorcised properly, no attack by the Silver City, etc.

29. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

We look at this from Paul's side, but consider how poor Bruno is going to feel like an idiot. His deception was going perfectly, he had all the superheroes completely fooled, and now it may come crashing down (or at least end a bit earlier than ideally he would have liked) because he couldn't resist the urge to get a look at Orange Lantern in person. OL would have accepted it easily if "Father Bruno" had been busy that day; wouldn't have thought twice about not meeting him.

Unless of course this was all a magnificent double bluff where Bruno knew he would make Orange Lantern suspicious, and he did it to tweak the nose of the superheroes so they could catch in just a bit too late because he "already did it thirty-five minutes ago" style.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Both have their pros and cons. And right now, the Renegade timeline is the one dealing with Arion, so I wouldn't be surprised if this archmage ends up creating a huge mess that the Renegade and his allies will have to clean up.