1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's kind of silly that at this point LePaul still isn't trying to contact Hephestus...

2. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

They didn't. That part was inner monologue.

3. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well since Captain Atom is now President Atom I hope he gets his dilustel shield.

In Arena, multiple Captain Atoms from across the multiverse were shown, including President Atom, who was very much a Captain America expy.

Which has always had me picturing a universe where all the DC characters are expies of Marvel characters, kind of like Heroes Reborn in reverse.

4. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

So, first it was Angel (is there an official designation for him?), and now Paragon finally shelled out for the DLC. I guess that the Anti-Life Event is a bit too much to F2P it.

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Damn... I was gonna make the joke that "Looks like Paul finally bought the DLC!"

Signaller, Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Having considered what happened later in canon, I suspect that this was a deliberate action on Celestia's part. She wanted to quit as sovereign and dump the whole thing on Twilight. If she'd taught Luna how to rule in the modern era, Luna would naturally want to actually rule. Keeping her ignorant left her with a few negative associations and no reason to not go along with the 'retirement' thing.

7. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I thought of Sportsmaster too. This seems like his big chance to actually get out of prison without Orange Lantern tracking him down and killing him.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I don't think they'd have to worry all that much, since aside from Adams, no civil servant or civilian was spared.

Went from being a disgraced soldier to the leader of a powerful country, though not how he'd like it.

Plus they lose all those souls.

Well there was that attack in Kahndaq, but that was Queen Bee.

I'm kinda reminded of the last episode of JLU.

9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You know, with Maze showing up and Lucifer being mentioned, I can't help but think that she will somehow contact him to deal with this.

Can't wait to see how Darkseid likes dealing with him.

Darkseid: Behold! My power is limitless! All shall fall before Anti_Life!

Lucifer: Hmm, oh now I remember that little thing. Some uppity little void-dweller started spewing nonsense when me, Michael and father were creating the universe and said that he'll rule everything. Killing it was such an annoyance. I guess some of it must have survived. Oh well, I'll finish killing it so that I can go back to traveling.

Dsrkseid: Fool! Nothing can stand up to Anti-Life! I will destroy you!

Lucifer:...Riiiiight. Well good luck with that.

10. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

Technically, Major Adams is only Acting President, and only by virtue of the President's role as Commander in Chief of the US armed forces. Since Major Adams is the highest-ranking American military officer not affected by the Anti-Life and thus not rendered incapable of discharging his duties, he has become the de facto Commander in Chief of what remains of the US military until such time as a higher-ranking officer is able to once again take control of the situation.

Civilian presidential succession is actually very much a matter of established law in the US (it goes Vice President, Speaker of the House of Representatives, President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and then proceeds down the list of Cabinet Secretaries in order of the job's seniority, starting with the Secretary of State and ending, currently, with the Secretary of Homeland Security). Nobody outside that list can technically be President; the non-elected positions must have first had their nominations confirmed by the Senate. That said, the position of Acting President can be (and has been) effectively held by people outside the official chain of succession. The most famous example would probably be from when President Reagan was shot in 1981; during the first press briefing, White House Chief of Staff Alexander Haig told the media that, "for the moment, I'm in charge here at the White House, pending the arrival of the Vice President," as VP George Bush (the elder, not GWB) had been on vacation in Maine at the time and needed to fly back to DC. While Haig technically had no actual power (and, had it come up, until they got Bush back in communication, control of the nuclear forces would have been in the hands of the Speaker of the House), he was effectively acting as President until the official line of succession could be brought into play.

At this point, Major Adams isn't, technically, POTUS--he wasn't VP, Speaker, or President Pro Temp, and he was never nominated or confirmed as a Cabinet Secretary--but he's the closest thing that there is to a legitimate head of state the country has and thus people are basically accepting that he's de facto in charge until a legitimate member of the succession is found who is capable of governing. Will he be on the historical list of Presidents? Not unless he's elected (or appointed to a vacant post in the Succession and then becomes President via the succession) in the future, but the buck has to stop somewhere, and he's the highest-ranking person in US government service (civilian or military) who is currently mentally competent to make decisions, and this is a crisis, so the niceties of normal law don't exactly apply for the duration.

11. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

Yeah, but on the other hand who is he giving orders too? If an Air Force major is the highest ranking officer not affected, that pretty much means that everyone is affected. If he radios out some orders to any random military group he gets one of two responses:
    1. Manheim IS!
    2. Uh, Major Adams? Who? Well you say you're not affected and that you're the highest ranking officer who isn't, but maybe you're just fighting through it like I am. You tell me what you want me to do and I'll judge if it seems sensible or if the mind control is creeping in.

What I'm trying to add to what you wrote is that it's not like this gives Adams much practical authority. It mattered in this situation because Orange Lantern was telling Waller to do something she wanted to do anyway, and telling her that Adams is "acting president" gives her a legal fig leaf to justify it afterwards. That's all.

12. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Sorry. If it helps, technically we're both late on making the joke since King of Frost already did so way back when the AngelPaul bit came out in the first place.

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

The POTUS isn't dead, resigned, or impeached, just incapable of performing his duties, which means that he would be Acting President but not actually President. He wouldn't be included in the historical list of Presidents any more than would a VP who held that role while POTUS was undertaking medical care.

And since this is a case of temporary inability to serve, the rules of the 25th Amendment don't apply, and the Presidential Succession Act doesn't say what to do in such a situation, it falls back to Article II Section 1 Clause 6, which says that Congress may by law declare any Officer of the United States to serve in that position -- and military officers do qualify under this definition. Military officer promotions do, in fact, require Senate confirmation, although typically this is done in bulk without ceremony.

The challenge here is finding a quorum of Congress to make such a declaration. This matter came up in 2004 as the House tried to figure out what to do if a terrorist attack were to incapacitate but not kill the majority of congresspeople. The consensus there is that the quorum could be provisionally reduced in case of extreme emergency -- though that is merely consensus, not conclusion, and as far as I can tell no further action was ever taken. It's still a strong enough consensus that I believe that should the need actually arise in practice that we would probably just run with it on a temporary basis for the duration of the emergency. (I imagine there would be a massive call for review afterward.)

So... I think that what's described here is probably as accurate as it could be!

Bramble Thorn, Mr Zoat, BR549 and 5 others like this.
  14. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

So a quorum of 0 then? Unless Paul has managed to find an unaffected congressman somewhere?

15. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

If Paul could, depending, that Senator or Congressperson might be Acting President instead.

Still, imagine Captain Atom getting a medal or award for his excellent leadership of the country in time of crisis. In front of Eiling.

More on that, I guess that Billy channeling the shield against Anti-Life requires him to not be transformed to maximize effectiveness. Of course, now he has Waller's consideration. After the crisis, at least.

It will be interesting to see which villains go along- and which end up surviving. It could lead to a very interesting shake up.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

There is a constitutional argument to be made that congresspeople, as part of the legislative branch, are barred from concurrently holding executive office. There's another argument that they aren't confirmed by the Senate. In either case, a military officer would outrank them in the executive branch barring an explicit act of Congress such as the Presidential Succession Act that makes exceptions for the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.

There definitely can't be a quorum of 0; that's division by zero. But there's a pretty solid argument found in the papers of the Founding Fathers that the Constitution shouldn't force the country to fail. In that case, something akin to the "rational basis" test might apply for extremely short-term emergency powers -- when all else fails and there's no established precedent for what to do, the minimum necessary action for the minimum sufficient time that seems to have a reasonable rationale for why that action was chosen over others is the best you can do, and you restore the status quo ante as quickly as possible, with special elections if necessary.

Vorian, rdfox, Windona and 5 others like this.
  17. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

This is usually phrased as 'The Constitution is not a suicide pact,' and has been used by people in various parts of the political map at various times for various purposes. It tends to be used in hypotheticals and stories a lot, and while AFAICT this has never needed to be tested in real life, it does make sense.

18. Threadmarks: Pete Tong (part 22)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

31st December 2012
    14:41 GMT -5

"What're you going to do to him?"

I raise my left eyebrow as I destroy the entrance to the arcane containment section of the prison and step aside as the bleary-eyed duty magicians stumble out.

"Enslave him permanently, mind, body and soul." I put my right hand on the shoulder of the closest magician. "Which way to Colin Thornton's cell?"

31st December 2012
    14:47 GMT -5

"Gentlemen."

I float through the middle of the men's cell block, a grey blur in my visual field where Mr. Crock is standing. My ring will also turn his voice into that of a commercially available voice generation program. The prisoners I've come to know through my visits are lined up behind me, their costumes on and their equipment in-hand.

"What you were feeling until a few minutes ago is something called 'Anti-Life'. A man named Bruno Mannheim -head of Intergang- has used it to mind control the majority of the population of Earth. And by 'majority', I mean about ninety nine point nine percent. He has to all intent and purposes conquered the Earth. His aim, so far as we can tell, is make everyone feel so completely miserable all of the time that they voluntarily renounce free will and celebrate as he uses and eventually disposes of them."

"If you want to know what that would be like, remember how you felt half an hour ago, forever."

A few winces, but most remain outwardly impassive. Some are new faces, but most of them… Aren't ever going to be anything but supervillains. This is the other side of the in-prison social divide.

"Or at least until you jump off a building with joy in your heart that you will no longer inconvenience your master. So I'm here to offer you a choice, and a temporary escape. Sign up with Task Force X today, and walk out of prison a penal legionnaire! The Justice League's secure accommodation is guaranteed as Anti-Life proof as anywhere on Earth, food's reasonable, and you'll be pardoned at the end of the campaign."

That actually gets a twitch from Mr. Crock.

"Yes, you can imagine exactly how happy I am about making that offer, and what it suggests for our odds. Still, the offer's genuine, and gives you a slightly better chance of survival than staying here. The ladies and gentlemen behind me have already accepted. Do you have any questions, bearing in mind that we've got about fifteen minutes until the Justifier force from Baton Rouge gets here and turns this into an actual fight."

"What the hell happened to the military?"

That… Was from a vaguely ogre-looking fellow who… Isn't in my database.

"I'm sorry, I don't think we've been introduced."

"You put me in here. Eiling, Wade. General."

How did he end up-? Okay, there's a certain irony to him being used in experimental testing, but don't they have military prisons or-.

Task Force X was still ongoing, and they were going to use him.

I don’t know why I'm surprised.

"The Anti-Life effect is worldwide. The military isn't more immune than anyone else. They're either crippled or Justified. That's stage two of exposure, where the afflicted voluntarily kowtow to Mannheim. We can't protect mass troop deployments from the Anti-Life and in any case anyone not protected works for the enemy. Trying to fight this as an actual war will kill more people than the Sheeda did. Compared to weaponry we already possess, military assets aren't worth the risk in trying to acquire."

The grey blur representing Mr. Crock has come as close to me as he can with the bars in the way.

"Why us?"

"We can't afford to grind this out. This fight will end with targetted strikes against Anti-Life broadcasters and against Mannheim himself once we've located him. Aside from a few elite military units, you collectively fit the requirements far better, and… Almost all of them were Justified before we could get to them."

"And what happens if we tell you to fuck yourself?"

That was… Alexander Trent. Bloodsport 2. The Nazi one, not the delusional one.

"I leave you here, in your cells. The power suppression system is still active, and the Justifiers are on the way. The staff will be pulling out with me, so there's a small chance that you could get out before they arrive, but the Anti-Life protection system leaves with me. And if the Justifiers ignore you and go somewhere else, you'll be stuck in your cells with no food or water or toilet facilities."

I smile beatifically.

"But the choice is yours."

Joar Mahkent's face is impassive.

"And what makes you think you can trust us? We ain't like those bootlickers behind you."

"I'm glad that you asked. The original plan for Task Force X was to give the participants explosive collars or implants. I regard that as inefficient."

I release Construct-Lantern Colin Thornton, and a few of the less hardened inmates recoil.

"You may recognise Colin Thornton, aka Lord Satanus. He keeps access to his demonic magic in this form, and I had him write up a contract."

It's not a long contract, covering the cogent points of the deal on offer. I float a copy each over to Mr. Mahkent and Mr. Crock.

"You have but to sign it and I will release your cage. As you've no doubt realised it's a magically-enforced demonic contract. The penalty for breaching the terms is your soul immediately being forfeit. It's an unpleasant way to die, and then you're in Hell. The terms-"

They're both looking through it, and their neighbours are leaning in to try and read it.

"-are enforced by the magic in the contract, so it won't matter how, say, Batman or Superman feel about it."

"This your idea?"

"Yes, Mister Crock. It is."

"Thought you were going to kill me if you ever saw me again."

"All I'm seeing is a grey blur. Please signal your agreement to the terms with a drop of your blood."

"I'm not signing a demon contract I haven't read."

"Alright, but I'm going to start ferrying guards to safety now, and I'm taking the Anti-Life jammer with me. So feel free to-."

"I'll sign!" I look around as Mr. Flinders waves an oversized hand. "You're letting the women's side out too, yeah?"

"Certainly." I float a contract over to him as he bites his right forefinger with his right lower canine. "Time permitting."

He presses his bleeding finger against the paper, which glows for a moment and then puffs out of existence in a cloud of sulphur. I then crumble the bars of his cell, along with his suppression collar.

I take a moment to make eye contact with the waverers, and float contracts over to all of them. There's reluctance and attempts to see what everyone else is doing, but after a few seconds they start signing.

"Thank you all. Oh, and so you know? You're pardoned whether you live or die. So congratulations. Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  19. LZB1285

LZB1285 Getting sticky.

Cut off sentence.
    I love the rules lawyering with Mr Crock.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I'm a little curious on what exactly they did to Eiling. Is he as strong as the Shaggy Man from the comics?

Forcing all the irredeemable villains to sell their souls. I really want to see the Justice League's reaction to Paul doing this. Also, it's nice that Paul has more options for magic support now that he has Satanus as a new Construct-Lantern.

21. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, looks like OL will be walking out of this with at least one new Construct Lantern made from a former foe. And a powerful one at that. Which explains how he's going to do the 'strip their soul out' penalty for the Task Force volunteers.

I suppose that's one way to avoid invoking the 'If I ever see you again...' threat he made. :rolleyes: After all, Sportsmaster might still be useful. And good to see at least some of them are joining up of their own free will, rather than by the carrot and the stick.

Oh, you may mock, to make it sound less nasty to them, but this is not going to be easy.

Like I said yesterday. These are the career masterminds, gang bosses and goons. The clever ones, the mean ones and the stupid ones.

Yeah, he can already guess how bad things are if they're waving that big a carrot in front of multiple-murderers, lunatic and outright monsters.

The same thing that happened to everyone else. A big old dose of 'fuck your independent thoughts'. Not a lot would be able to withstand Anti-Life with no warning...

Ooh, the General? I didn't think he'd have gone through the comics storyline that saw his brain implanted in the Shaggy Man. Not in Earth-16...

Ah, right. He fucked up big time... Off-screen, apparently, mentioned as being in prison here. Amusingly, in the same post as the debrief of the League's attack on Apokalips, and a mention of the Infinity Man... :sneaky:

:rolleyes: Because of course they would have. Never mind that the Shaggy Man's android body is extremely resilient, and thus unlikely to be harmed much by a bomb, short of it being planted inside Eiling's brain. Nor that Eiling would not be in the most cooperative mood at that point...

This is going to be a shadow war against Mannheim. Small elite unites hitting targets of opportunity. :p Just the thing the Suicide Squad was made for!

Admitting that does give them more leverage in negotiations, though. Even with the promise of a pardon, some of them will probably be considering just fucking off when they're deployed...

Ah, a pleasant specimen of humanity, isn't he? God knows how many reasons he has to hate OL on principle...

...And every man there feels a chill run down their spine... Because OL smiling is not necessarily good for them.

Ah, Icicle I. The father of one Cameron Mahkent, who's an old friend of Artemis, who played a part in the foiled breakout from year one. Like father, like son... Though they don't really get along.

And as noted, those can be subverted or foiled. I suspect OL's idea is far more reliable...

...Okay, that's one way to enforce loyalty in these matters.

And with the mechanism of it being tied to OL's control, means Waller won't be as capable of abusing the system as she sometimes did in the comics...

Which are not likely to be good thoughts. Wonder if this could be one of the many straws that ruin Batman's relationship with OL?

And no doubt his reputation precedes him, so those present will understand just what will face them if they double-cross him, even without the contract's penalty.

Knives available on request, I suppose?

So, no pressure, gentlemen. After all, this isn't the only wing he has to make the offer to...

Mammoth, no doubt concerned about his sister. They always were close.

Ah, peer pressure. The best method to encourage acquiescence. Once Mammoth signed, and didn't instantly die, the rest were more likely to follow. Then the desperate ones sign. And finally the reluctant ones. Persuasion skill check aced, OL.

And so the Suicide Squad Task Force X gains its first official recruits. I expect many on the ladies' side will sign on as well, especially if they consider what might happen to those who remain behind... And the League gains an army of its' own. One made of barely-restrained criminals half-pressed into service, but an army nonetheless. What happens next will be a sight to see, I think.

His aim, so far as we can tell, is make everyone feel so completely miserable...
    Joar Mahkent's face is impassive.

22. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

...As what? As WHAT!? I MUST KNOW!

23. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

New Construct Lantern acquired!

I know it's a messed up thing to do, but damn, it is the signature move of the Orange Light! Had I an orange ring I would Identity Thieving left, right and center!

And nice way of giving certainty to this Suicide Squad (or is it battalion?). No bomb in their necks, but a one way instant ticket to Hell, and depending on how the contract was worded it could activate with a simple thought to betray, double cross or escape.

24. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

I don't like this. I get that this is a crisis situation, but literally enslaving people forever is not going to go over well with anyone.

25. Temp0101

Temp0101 Not too sore, are you?

It's kinda fucked when the chips are down OL resorts to the fuckery he was trying to reform out of in the last arc. But what are you gonna do.

26. TodaBruh

TodaBruh Fiction is life's spice <( ̄︶ ̄)↗

Paul has no fucks left to give. The situation must be hitting him hard.

27. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Am I the only one who's kind of disappointed we didnt get to see Satanus becoming a Construct-Lantern? I mean, the whole stick of the OL Corps is enslaving your enemies for eternity, and we don't really see that happen since... I think Von Daggle (Savage if we go by finished Assimilations)? I get why we don't see it a lot cause it's a Fate Worse Than Death, but still, it'd be nice to see the Construct-Lanterns once in a while.

Hope the next chapter shows how Satanus thinks of his new life? Being a slave and all. Plus, keeping him out to fight will probably be helpful with everything cause Paul needs all the help he can get.

28. Nero200

Nero200 Magus (derogatory)

Want the ends, want the means.

Prince Charon, Caerwen, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  29. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

"Technically, Satanus was serving a life sentence in the United States of America, which, as an immortal, would continue until he was killed by outside means. The Thirteenth Amendment still permits slavery as punishment for a crime. Given he was in Federal prison, and I am acting under the authority of Acting President Adams, the conversion of Satanus into a construct is legal, despite being indefinite and irreversible slavery."

I do suspect OL is going to take a hefty number of Renegade points in the coming chapters, even if we don't see the Renegade symbol anymore.

30. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

From yesterday:
    ‘helmets’
    I don’t think he is enslaving anyone. I got the impression that these criminals will be allowed to go free at the end of this crisis. Unless you meant Satanus, but I think assimilation is more like killing someone and creating a compliant clone than slavery.

I’ve always felt that assimilation is criminally underused by Paragon. One of the things I really liked about Warhammer Paul was his army of Construct-Lanterns.

I feel that the thing with blurring Crock is a bit silly. If he’d had sworn a binding magical oath or something, I’d understand, but is he really so unwilling to break his word that he’ll use a technicality like this? The circumstances are special enough that nobody would be likely to blame him, and if they’d blame him anyway then it’s unlikely that the technicality would be enough to stop them.