1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Since it''s capitalised, he's not talking about the species but rather the culture.

2. 0zymandias

0zymandias Making the rounds.

Paul has been in the Gate world a while, years by this point. He's recognised as a minor god and has at least some mild importance. If he was a complete nobody then the Emperor wouldn't have bothered trying to get the ring. He's probably been able to observe their magic through long range scans and see how they operate, what's the kind of average output and what not.

These Gods have rules; don't make the game boring. They can't directly manifest due to restrictions on the material universe and so use proxies; Apostles, hosts etc. He even informed the Emperor a little on how god's manage themselves.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Extraneous ‘get’?
    Extraneous ‘the’?

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In this fic, yes.

In DC comics the two have nothing to do with each other, especially because Earth is the only known host planet for the White Light Entity.

Just mentioning that because I've noticed that some WTR fans get confused as to what is Zoat's creation and what's actually true to DC comics.

For example I had someone get upset with me in a dnd board because I pointed out that WTR's New Gods are Zoat's Exalted homebrew so if they wanted to emulate Zoat's New Gods in dnd they should take a look at the Exalted inspired d20 game Godbound.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  5. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch and Duke Long like this.
  6. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

I'm not really sure why he felt the need to get in an argument with an illusionary recreation of the person he's looking for. He wasn't actually talking to him at any point, so nothing that got said there actually mattered.

Vaermina and Bud-E like this.
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul can't use any of the features of his ring, that includes scans.

The only power we know he still has is his empathic vision.

It's part of his Orange Light caused neurosis.

8. koya

koya Making the rounds.

Should this be "will not have vaccinations" or maybe "will have no vaccinations"? Otherwise seems a bit odd

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Compass (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    18:56 GMT -5

Unsurprisingly, the illusionary Ub'x is shown standing next to an unconscious native. Ub'x appears to be taking the opportunity to file his teeth. I hadn't realised that was something that he needed to do. I sort of assumed that at some point in his species' development, as they stopped needing to spend so much time gnawing on wood, evolution would have led to a gradual slowing of the growth of their teeth. But I guess not.

There's a… Subtle twitch from the native, but Ub'x doesn't respond to it.

Dreamer makes eye contact with me. "That was for our benefit. She did not actually twitch."

"So she became conscious, but hid it. That's uncharacteristic of her species."

Ub'x touches the cutting edge of his teeth, and realises… Something. Ah, he's decided that they were too sharp, and is filing the edge flatter.

Another twitch, and-.

The native very weakly throws a small stone in Ub'x's direction. It falls well short, and bounces once with a feeble 'clack' before coming to rest.

Ub'x looks at where they landed, then returns to his filing.

The native appears to have lost consciousness-. Wait. There really was a native who wanted to be evil but couldn't?

"That wouldn't even scare off one of your species. Oh, no. You're unconscious again. I suppose that was more effort than most of your species would have made."

He puts his tooth file away and watches the native, patiently waiting for-. Her eyes open very slightly and she tries to subtly take in her environment.

"Hello, Paldak. I mean you-. No, you're gone again."

Serifan looks at Dreamer. "Can you speed this up any?"

Paldak's eyes open again, and make contact with Ub'x's. "What do you want with us, weird mould-covered alien?

"I-. What? No, this isn't mould, it's fur."

"What's that?"

Ring, quick scan-? Ah. No, no species on this planet has fur. Symbiotic mould is indeed the closest they have, and that's an insect-analogue only thing.

"It's made of the same material as…" The locals don’t have nails, due to the obvious risk of a species like that having anything vaguely sharp anywhere on their bodies. "It's made of keratin, which-."

"I know what keratin is. Why is it growing all over you?"

"My species evolved it for insulation and water-proofing. That was nearly a confrontational statement."

"If I faint three times in succession, it takes a little more to trigger the response again. Not much more though. Hang-. Hang on."

She goes limp.

"Hm." Ub'x considers her for a moment, then waves his hand.

She immediately jerks awake. "Whatwhatwhat?"

"I could see this wasn't getting anywhere. Why did you try and 'attack' me?"

"Because you're a weird alien who kidnapped me! And I-! How am I still upright?"

"I suppressed your natural inclination to-."

"I will do anything for you if you make this permanent."

"Ah. That makes this a little easier. How would you like the ability to make it permanent yourself?"

"Yes. My own body is the one enemy I can't beat! If I can stay awake, I can do anything!"

"And do what?"

"Anything! I've never been this excited before! It's amazing!"

Ub'x looks a little uncomfortable as Paldak scurries up to him and pushes her face into his.

"Doitdoitdoit-."

Ub'x taps her on the shoulder and she collapses.

"That's about enough of that. But that was definitely consent." He waves his staff-.

The image stops moving, and Dreamer steps closer.

"They left after that. He is recruiting."

I nod. "Maybe he just doesn't want to talk to me until he's got a Corps to back him up? Can you tell if he came here after he visited New Berrith or before?"

"It feels… I think before? But… Not by long."

"Can you tell if Paldak is still alive?"

Serifan snorts. "Or more importantly, where she's still alive."

"If she died, it was not on this world. And no."

"Indigo Lanterns are hard to track. That's not surprising."

Ring, any monitoring..? No, of course not: none of them could watch it. There are some missing person posters, which is a nice touch. And means that she hasn't been back.

Given what happened to Huyen, that's not particularly hopeful.

Vykin considers the scene. "We could attempt to speak with the locals. That would give us the time of her departure."

Serifan shakes his head. "They can teleport anywhere. It ain't like we can track his trail."

Bear frowns thoughtfully. "Do her people have an enemy?"

B'dg nods. "No, but the statejians are the most aggressive species in this region. She would know about them. Do you think she picked a fight?"

"I think fighting picked her. And if her body stopped holding her back, where else would she go?"

Vykin nods. "Dreamer? Can you see any other destination?"

"I…" She shakes her head. "No. I can't. Wherever he went, he wasn't thinking about it here."

"Or it's blocked. In case it comes up, to the best of my knowledge the homeworld of the Indigo Lantern Corps is a place called Nok. No idea where it is, and my previous attempts to locate it haven't been successful."

Vykin nods. "Then we go to the home of the statejian, and we ask politely if they have seen her."

B'dg frowns. "I doubt they'll answer a polite question. They're pretty aggressive."

"Perhaps. Or perhaps the violent parts of their species are what other people see, and on their home things will be different."

Ah. I look at Lightray, but he doesn't seem bothered. Okay, well, their technology isn't anything special. I should be able to protect everyone. It-.

BOOM!

"Really, Serifan?"

He grins impishly. "They've barely had time to get up. Let's go!"

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  10. Mr Zoat

No. The Romans had pretty much the same diseases that other early AD Europeans did.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"of her species"

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, this little fainting lizard is a sneaky one. And yes, some creatures do have teeth that continually grow. I suppose for Ub'x, this is the equivalent of picking dirt from underneath his fingernails. Guess he has to do something while he waits for the fainter to awaken.

Amusing that her projections over-act. Makes it easier to spot unfamiliar body language, maybe.

Don't want to look like a complete psycho, after all.

Aw, look at how brave she's being. :D

...Seriously? :confused: I suppose the fainting reflex would be an impediment to doing some unsocial things...

I can just hear the frustration in his voice.

Helpful that it comes with a fast-forward mode.

I suppose to a reptilian species, mammalian traits like fur would seem strange.

...Wow, it's like evolution made them to be as child-friendly as possible. o_O ...Which raises the question of their own child-rearing practices. What happens to an infant if the parent has a fainting moment?

Wow, kind of impressive. She is abnormal.

...Seriously, how do these people manage to do anything? :confused:

Ah, a little application of Indigo healing rays. That's one way to bypass the genetic quirk.

...If you can call barely throwing a rock 'attacking'. But it was impressively brave.

Amazed that wasn't 100% Orange there. I suppose it's hard to read emotional traces through the projection.

Well, she's dreaming big, I guess...

...Hard to pick something when you're given that kind of freedom, I suppose.

Another case of 'overly attached girlfriend' face, I bet.

And that would be a successful recruitment, I suppose.

Safe bet to make, yes.

Not like she can look at timestamps, OL.

Yes, the 'where' is a bit more important than the 'if', I think.

Unfortunately, it seems this was a dead end...

It might well be that Indigo Tribesmen are expected to have a short working life...

Crumbs of information. Not the best way to get anywhere...

If she was that hyper just learning that the fainting reflex could be overcome? Safe bet.

The question would then be, did she survive her first outing?

Because he's missed the obvious lead: Hal Jordan's ring. I assume he's still using Abin Sur's in this timeline.

Then you get to engage in diplomacy through superior firepower.

Heh. OL still not thinking much of the Forever people...

:rolleyes: Children...

So, one lead points them to another, and another. If OL is going to be as tenacious about this as anything else he focuses on, he no doubt will find Ub'x. It's just a matter of how long it'll take, and how long before something comes up to distract OL. It's a good thing OL doesn't really have much of a temper these days, or it'd be getting worn thin with all these delays.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I actually think it would be more interesting if LePaul just completely fails in this.

And then returns to Earth dejected, only to find the others solved the problem without him.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  15. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

At least it's not like he's looking for John Constantine anymore?

16. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

’awake’?

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Assblaster5000

Assblaster5000 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, I kind of would have expected Ub'x to be able to use his Ring/Staff to file his teeth down. The desire to make her feel safe seems like it'd work for it, but I guess he either didn't see much point or just can't?

'realised'

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Oh yea, whatever happened to that guy? ;)

20. Mr Zoat

He feels that there some things a beaver ought to do for himself.
    Thank you, corrected.

mastermenthe, Cuchulin, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  21. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

The infant faints too? If you mean 'what if they drop/fall on the baby,' I think probably what happens to the young of RL animals that have a fainting reflex, but I'm not sure what that is. Maybe they're more durable than human infants?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe they're more resilient when their children are on the line.

I'm guessing they just keep doing something until they finish it.

Granted it will take them a long time since they faint.

Cuchulin and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

It's really more that they don't carry their children, due to the obvious risk.

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Isn't he on Themyscira going through Rehab after being beaten up by his clone/twin/golden boy/thing?

25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Why did I imagine adults dragging children via leashes instead of a wagon...

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Godsdamnit Serafin, you funny son of a bitch.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah.

And I think he raised some protections around the island to protect it from Anti-Life.

Ardy likes this.
  28. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Last time Constantine showed up, he did some ritual that shielded at the very least the rehab island from the Anti-Life. Dunno if the barrier he put up extended to Themyscira as a whole.

29. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

Ok, I am a year in the past, but catching up so I wanted to get this idea out before I get to the actual explanation.

This is the same world that currently has multiple Supergirls. Lets match these up.

Demon Constantine -> 666 Supergirl
    John Quin (powered by an item) -> Dana Dearden (powered by coins)
    OG Constantine -> Kara Zor-El Don't want to be heroes would give up their power if they could, smarter then people expect (Also didn't Constantine offer sex to Paul at one point? I'm almost certain an offer of fucking him happened at least once:p)
    demon? Constantine -> Linda Danvers (this is a stretch) spell created amalgamation?
    If The Empty One is a Constantine -> Angelika Kant That piece of Anti-life was pretty Fascist

So now we just need a Pre-Crisis Constantine and we can get started on this rendition of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!

30. Mr Zoat

I've forgotten, like, half of those characters.