1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DeathReaperZ

DeathReaperZ In the Void.

I see
    I did, but I wanted to deny the truth.
    It only causes a small amount of controversy!
    You're welcome.
    Huh, never knew that. And of course Anti-Vaxxers think that the mercury in it causes autism
    I hope he stays in this world, to be honest. He'd be so useful.
    Good to know
    You're welcome.
    I suppose that makes sense.
    You know it's bad when even the author doesn't remember exactly how many characters he added with the same name and physical appearance.
    It was. Here are some more images.
    Questionable Questing, or the Internet in general?
    Thank you for the information. Isn't Kara Zor-El the one who wanted Paul to fuck her or else she'd kill herself or the people around her?

Ngamer11 likes this.
  2. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Yes, although she wasn't threatening to kill herself, just innocent people. But that was due to exposure to black kryptonite.

Mr Zoat and Cuchulin like this.
  3. Threadmarks: Compass (part 14)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th February 2013
    19:11 GMT -5

Turns out? No. No, they don't see things differently when-

The cruiser skimming the atmosphere above us opens fire with its ventral weapons, lasers turning the air to plasma which slams into my construct shield.

Ah…

-we visit them on their own planet.

"Gentlemen and lady, I can keep this up indefinitely, but it's not doing the planet any good."

Vykin looks at Lightray. "Will they keep shooting if we approach a settlement?"

"Vykin, I've never been to this planet before or met these people."

"Lantern B'dg, do your records give-?"

"They're.. pretty much gunna-" He raises his right hand as if contemplating adding his own shield to mine, then decides against it. "-keep shooting until we're dead. On the plus side, their system defence ships aren't anything special. You could probably destroy them."

"No." Bear looks decidedly truculent. "We burst into their home. They're scared. We're not killing anyone."

"Aircraft incoming. Looks like troop carriers."

Hang on. Ring, are the people in charge of those soldiers communicating with the ship?

No direct communication detected.

Is that because the air is too thoroughly ionised for anything to get through?

Suggested explanation is plausible.

The ships fire again and the area of energised air above expands.

Knowing what I do about the history of this species, I'm not exactly going to be choked up if they get a few of their own soldiers killed due to stupidity. On the other hand, I doubt that it would help the Forever People's recovery if that actually happened.

I think-.

"They will die if they fly into that plasma cloud." Moonrider holds up his lightning gun thing, and then-. "That will not happen." The Lightning Will Be Earthed.

Electrical energy leaps… Leaps through my construct and slamming into-. Into the ground right next to Moonrider! The ground explodes and knocks him flying, Bear diving to catch him before he lands. His armour is.. a bit singed, but-

"Uh-hg."

-he's alive at least. I take a purple healing ray out of subspace and shoot him with it. Bear twists his head around, clearly alarmed-.

"It's a healing ray. Look at him."

And I look at the sky. It's suddenly clear, and-

Communication detected.

-the soldiers can now talk to the ship, which… Yes, it isn't firing and my scan shows that the cruiser is closing its weapon port.

"Mooney?" Bear looks down as his friend stirs. "Are you well?"

He blinks, then manages to open his eyes. "Yes." "I felt like me again."

"I'm giving you half marks, could do better. The aim is to earth the electricity into the ground, not into yourself."

"I will remember that. What is this beam?"

"A healing ray from Earth. Since you tried discharging a large plasma cloud into yourself."

"I'm not-." He starts smiling. "I wasn't aiming at myself. I was trying to channel it into the ground. I am not fully recovered, but that was more than I have managed since our return."

"Good for-" I switch from an overhead shield to a horizontal one as the incoming soldiers start firing. "-you."

"This ray from Earth feels… Good. Usually alien healing devices don’t work well on New Gods."

I frown. "How 'good' are we talking-?"

"Please!" Vykin walks up to the inner surface of my shield construct, his hands raised. "We merely want to ask if you have seen someone we are trying to find! We have no interest in fighting you!"

They respond by aiming at his face. He drops his hands, takes a deep breath, and waits for them to realise that it isn't going to work.

Bear helps Moonrider back onto his feet and makes sure that he's capable of staying upright, and gets a grateful nod as Moonrider proves that he can.

"Dreamer, I don't suppose you can… Get anything out of them like this, can you?"

She looks at the advancing soldiers and shakes her head. "Too many people thinking about too many things."

"Alright, I'll give it a go, then. Poke me if you need me."

Serifan looks confused. "How're we supposed to poke you in all that armour?"

But I'm already unfocusing, staring beyond the world. The desires of soldiers in combat are much the same from place to place, slanted by the fact that we're obviously not receiving damage or fighting back. Beyond that, I look for images of Ub'x or Paldak, anything they've done or anywhere they've been.

I don't see anything. If she was here, it wasn't for long enough to cause any real fear or stimulate any strong desire. That doesn't mean that there wasn't some sort of bulletin or other news release. Or maybe their fleet engaging someone doesn't really count as 'news' to them.

"No, nothing. Never mind."

"…will die, alien!"

Vykin shakes his head solemnly. "We have no interest in killing-"

Two shots hit the construct shield in front of him at almost the exact same time. Then one of them throws a plasma grenade. It explodes, doing nothing.

"-anyone."

He half-turns back, looking for suggestions.

"Have you considered paying them for information?"

"We do not usually engage in.. commerce."

"But you don't object to it?"

He shakes his head, so I fly up to him. Ring, transmit on radio in addition to normal speech.

Compliance.

"We want information, and have refined-" I get two shots level with my faceplate. "-metal to trade." I extend my right hand and let a selection of gold and jewellery fall to the ground. "And then we'll get lost."

No more shots. Good.

"Have you-" Their leader appears to be counting down. "-seen a small-" They all fire at once, aiming at the centre of my mass and still not doing any visible damage to my construct. "-beaver or lizard with a power ring-?"

Another unified shot. And then another. Honestly, their discipline and aim are really quite impressive. But this isn't getting us anywhere. Empathic vision.

"Anyone feel like taking the deal? Anyone want a nice big bonus to their regular pay?"

Flickers of orange-.

I attach filaments to all but two of the soldiers and transition them halfway across the continent.

"Right then." The two nervously lower their guns as I drop the construct barrier. "Let's try that again."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'ships fire'

Nice to see their friendship.

Good for you!

5. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That's nice, but I hope Paul gets to demonstrate something so impressive that even these New Gods will be impressed.

6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

7. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

How would Paul's blank disc payments show up on their taxes? :p

8. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oof. Unsubtle weapons technology. Very much the definition of 'you die now' levels of Dakka. So, these folks are not going to be friendly about this, then. Perhaps they need a bit of education about politeness, then. (And note that the link has some visual reference for these folks... :p Just for convenience.)

Well, you did turn up unannounced and all. But these folks, I don't think would be neighbourly even if you'd phoned ahead...

I'd be more worried about the settlement shooting first.

I'm guessing whatever notes on them are in his database are limited to 'Very dangerous and highly aggressive. Do not approach unless other planets are in danger.'

In other words, they've got little chance of damaging the shields of an Orange Lantern with a desire to stay safe.

I'd laugh if these were from two different local factions, and the newcomers are here to fight off the cruiser's intrusion in their airspace...

Ah, right. Because the cruiser is basically dropping a giant thunderstorm on them thanks to the plasma discharges.

Determined lot, aren't they? :p

Aw, just tell them 'don't weep for the stupid, you'll be crying all day.' These guys don't sound like much of a loss for the universe.

...Not quite what he intended, probably. Though it's a sorry god of lightning who isn't resistant to it.

I can guess why. Not the best day for the Forever people is it?

At least the kid did good with the plasma.

Now, are they ceasing hostilities, or just don't want to get in trouble for burninating their own troops when they arrive?

Bit of a dramatic sort of physiotherapy, but if it works for him, more power to him.

I mean, he did send it into the ground. Aim could have used some work to do it further from him, though.

Well, at least it's progress. ;) But let's try not to smite yourself next time?

Yes, well, Earth has all manner of rule-breaking Bullshit™. You'll love the place.

...And now I'm picturing Moonrider as being just a little high, between the successful Godspeech and the healing rays.

Amusing that the youngest of them is such a big-brotherly type. :D I mean, actual youngest or not, I still hope he is the youngest, just for the comedic potential.

Yeah, crowds of angry people. Not the greatest surroundings for an empath.

Just rap on his helmet with the butt of your pistol or something, cowboy.

Honestly, it probably doesn't even count as unusual.

Ah, the usual bluster against someone who's shown a complete indifference to their weaponry. Some things never change.

At least they're getting a workout?

Probably not something they covered in the team's training. They probably expected the people the kids would face to be cowed by a simple display of power... Or simply bashed flat by the Infinity Man. :p

Well, that's a bit silly. Sometimes a little money will grease wheels faster than any amount of oil... Or blood.

And now OL shows his diplomatic chops.

...At least the shooters are consistent. And accurate.

...That has got to be demoralising for them. :cool: Not even interrupting his speech.

Surely someone's got a need for cash in hand? Someone looking for a little extra for the kid's birthday, perhaps? Or gambling debts to be paid? :p

Boy, those two are going to have some explaining to do when they meet up with their unit.

Ah, OL. When polite requests fail, out comes the money? Plata o plomo, I suppose. And we all know how OL's trying to be less lethal these days. So better to bribe the blue fuzzies than kill them. And at least this way, he can pump them for information. Not that I expect them to have much of use.For all we know, it was just another Tuesday for them... ;)

Moonrider holds up his lightning gun thing, and then-.
    "It's a healing ray. Look at him."

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Plata o plasma, as it were, more likely.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Though it makes sense.

With their tech they're basically a post-scarcity society, so they may not have a system of money.

11. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

If those guys have any sense at all, it won't.

12. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

There's practically no such thing as a "post-scarcity society". As your tech advances what's 'scarce' simply moves up the tech tree.

As an example, people usually describe the United Federation of Planets as "post-scarcity". But it's demonstrated repeatedly that there is a scarcity: dilithium.

And whenever somebody has something somebody else wants, a system of exchange exists or shortly will exist.

13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Yes, but the thing about cash is that you have to be alive afterwords to spend it.

And this species doesn't seem like the type to leave those who would accept bribes from aliens alive.

15. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Eh. These Gods saw Paulphidian and skedaddled. Not much he can do to really top that.

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That was them out of control and they never interacted with them. How would they react to seeing them up close and more in control of their actions?

mastermenthe likes this.
  17. Duke Long

Duke Long Glomerulus

Hahaha, these guys are great. I love them.

18. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Remind me who these guys are? What species, what world?

19. RoninSword

RoninSword Sky God

These are the nearest aggressive species to the species that faints when afraid.

Otto von Saurion, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  20. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ah. Lol.

Otto von Saurion likes this.
  21. Patrick Holt

Patrick Holt Getting sticky.

OHH, This is the monkey touching the Monolith moment. Your comment crystalized everything.

Why he keeps reading, why he tears at the story at every chance. Why he is wrong so often but doesn't care about facts.

Vaermina is Ambush Bug stuck in the closet of comic books reaching out through the fourth wall trying to stop Paul.

Look if you take his name
    V that's just an upside down A
    a you just swap that with the m
    e well that sounds just like b
    r if you turn it upside down and mirror it is a u
    m has been swapped with a and if you squint it looks like s (everyone knows Ambush bug has bad eyesight)
    in when smushed together become h
    a is the letter next to B
    ug
    is the sound you make when you hate something and that is all Vaermina does.

It all makes so much sense ha... hA...HA.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHa....

22. Threadmarks: Compass (part 15)
    Mr Zoat

13th February 2013
    19:15 GMT -5

The two remaining soldiers very slowly move their guns out to the side, one hand around the barrel and nothing anywhere near the trigger.

"Um…" The one on the left looks at the small pile of gold behind me. "You… Mentioned payment?"

"Yes, we need some information and I'm hoping that you can provide it. Someone we wish-."

"Dude." The second soldier glances at his financially-motivated colleague. "It's just like in War Fury."

"Shut up."

"I'm sorry? 'War Fury'?"

"Yeah, it's a television series. Ah. Your species has those, right?"

I consider the state of television during the current Anti-Life infestation, where Batman authorised the use of worldwide jammers to prevent it being a transmission vector.

"Not… Right now, but I know what you mean. So… What..? Happens in War Fury?"

"There's this guy-. One of my species? Some stuff happens, and he gets recruited to fight for this alien warlord, wins a ton of battles, and… Ah… Meets a bunch of alien women." He glances at Dreamer. "Hot ones. Not like-. I mean, I'm sure she's-. You? Are very attractive by your species' standards-."

"I… Get the idea. And that's something that you want to do?"

"S-?" First soldier looks shocked. "Seriously?"

"I mean, I can't recruit you right now, but the alliance I'm part of is fighting the largest empire in this galaxy, and we can always use… Are you infantry, or do you have specialised skills?"

Second soldier looks like he's having about a decade's worth of birthdays at once. "We're trained as marines. You know, landing and boarding operations… But we're always eager to learn new skills!"

"Okay. Well, once this trip is over, I can get a L.E.G.I.O.N. recruitment flotilla sent this way. Might take a little while to get here, but it's not really a problem for me. I doubt that you'll answer to Supreme Commander Dox personally for a very long time, and… You'll have to work out the attractive females thing yourself-"

"No problem!"

"-but that can happen."

First soldier isn't anything like as excited. "I'd… Rather have cash. I'll probably join up if they actually turn up, but I don't know you."

"Perfectly reasonable concern."

I use a construct to pick up the valuables, split the piles in half and proffer a half-pile to each of them.

"No point trying to fight you." First soldier shrugs. "It was pretty obvious that we weren't doing anything against your force field."

The soldiers take the opportunity to squirrel their bribe money away in various parts of their armour.

Vykin nods. "I understand. We mean no slight on your honour."

"Honour? No, it's just dumb to keep attacking someone you can't hurt. I hate getting dumb orders."

T.V. enthusiast nods companionably, while the other decides to try hiding a ruby in his stock in place of one of his spare power cells. After checking that it fits, he looks up. "What did you want to know?"

Dreamer waves her right hand, and images of Ub'x and Peldak appear just in front of them. "Do you know these people?"

"The one with the head fronds… That's from Qualar IV, yeah?" She nods. "Don’t they fall over if you look at them funny?"

"This one would be different."

The two of them peer at the images for a few moments, before performing a negative gesture. The ruby-squirreler also makes a gesture of appeal. "Is there anything else we might know them by?"

"Indigo force fields, like the force fields Lanterns use."

The two of them twitch, then make an affirmative gesture. Squirreler raises the screen mounted on his right arm. "Display attack on dockyard eight, highlights."

A fairly standard docking cradle network with central hub design. A few unique touches, but for the most part there are only so many ways to make a space dock that make sense. Form comes from function almost exclusively.

An indigo speck appears, slamming into the force field protecting the important military asset. Defence turrets deploy and open fire a moment later, the indigo blur ducking and dodging as they evade.

I narrow my eyes. The constructs look-.

"Bad constructs." B'dg floats next to my head. "She's not channelling compassion well. She's just fighting because she wants to."

I nod. "And she's not even denting those shields."

Squirreler indicates a negative. "Our shields are tuned to block constructs."

"Really?" I frown. "No offence intended to your engineers, but specific construct-blockers are usually something species a good deal more advanced than yours start developing."

"Oh, yeah, yeah, don't worry. We bought the design from these bald guys with bug-eye cybernetics years ago."

"Qwardians." I generate a construct image of Varnathon. "Like this?"

T.V. addict makes another affirmative gesture. "He said… He said they… Ah… Were releasing their previous-generation shield designs for export because… They were upgrading their own fleet."

Squirreler points to his computer screen. "See, this is where it-."

Peldak stops moving, the point defences shooting holes in her construct shield as whatever camera was recording this zooms in. She trembles-.

Her construct barrier turns green, patching its holes as light surges along its surface. Now the point defence shots are being absorbed or deflected, and she looks decidedly satisfied with that eventuality.

B'dg frowns. "Huh. Did you know they could do that?"

"I wasn't sure."

That covers her defence, but her energy bolts still aren't penetrating the shield. Finally she moves on to trying a… Denture construct? And she's clearly making an effort -I can see the shield being stressed- but it doesn't go through. She pulls back and flies away.

"Okay, we-."

"It hasn't finished."

The camera angle changes to an external facing, zooms in on-. She's grabbed a wreck with a construct tether and is accelerating towards the dock. This time secondary batteries open fire, striking the wreck and punching through-.

Most ship-scale weapons are designed to mission-kill ships, not completely disintegrate them. Peldak is a small and agile target, her tether isn't much bigger and while the ship is taking holes it isn't breaking apart. The accurate but unfocused fire continues for several seconds before someone gets the gunnery under orders and they target… The bow of the ship, where the construct tether is attached.

They hit, so Peldak… Flies around behind the wreck and starts pushing it.

It gets closer, weapons continuing to fire.

Closer. It's taking some damage, but it's got enough momentum at this point that it doesn't matter.

Closer.

Closer-.

It slams into the shields and shatters, achieving nothing.

"Yeah, she basically vanished after that. No further sightings."

"Thank you. We can follow up on that in orbit."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
  23. Joelseph14

Joelseph14 Know what you're doing yet?

Damn that's so sad imagine wanting to be a killing machine your whole life and when you get the chance you can't even get past the shields xD

24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

"bought the design from these"

25. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Deserves a second look.

26. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

LEGION needs this man of culture in their ranks desperately.

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Indeed. No need for empathic vision when you can practically see the currency symbols in their eyes. :p And very good show of surrendering, lads. Some might have forgotten to show they couldn't use their guns.

...Seriously? One of the guys who took the offer is a science-fiction geek? Or at least his world's equivalent.

And it sounds like his buddy has heard this spiel before.

Still better than Final Crisis, where everything with a screen got hacked to broadcast the Anti-Life equation.

Dude... Just stop before you put more of your paw into your mouth? We get the picture. You mean hot for a statejian.

Heh. OL making people's dreams come true.

Like this thing called 'kissing'. :D Oh, I'm sure they're experts in the local form, but you never know with alien babes.

I think OL just made a friend for life. x3

Sensible fellow.

Let's hope there's no arguments over specifics.

If you didn't catch the picture yesterday: Statejians. Basically, blue bear-monkeys in silver flying armour. And it's good to see such common sense out there.

...He's not wrong. ;)

Much easier than a holo, I suppose. And her projections probably have scent traces included.

Well, now, anyway. Bet she had to set a routine in her Ring up to counter that if she did have a fainting fit...

See, if you'd lead with that, you could have saved a minute or two.

Unless your tech is so advanced that you can afford to be fancy. But by that point, you probably won't need spacedocks.

Ah, that'll be the lizard-chicken girl. Rookie Ring-slingers usually feel godlike at first.

:D Loving the commentary by the experienced Lanterns... "4 out of 10, try better."

And usually by those who tend to have issues with Lantern-related matters.

Oh, that asshole. Figures.

Kind of glad that asshole is dead and gone now.

Oh, right. Indigo's can copy other colours. Handy trick.

I mean, did Ub'x ever do it in front of OL?

Bet she's feeling a bit more angry now than anything...

Ah. Rock doesn't work? Try a bigger rock!

Yeah, generally you want to be able to loot the wrecks, after all. Bit harder here on Earth sink damaged ships tended to sink, though. :oops:

Heh. Like a train-wreck in slow motion.

...Welp, so much for 'bigger rock'. Any other ideas, hon'?

That's got to be embarrassing.

Well, not a great showing for the rookie Indigo Tribesman. :confused: ...Tribeswoman? Anyway... Some surprising facts from these two ordinary marines. Guess stuff like the upgraded shields was popular in the scuttlebutt circles for a while, I suppose. And a good solid lead on Peldak, if not Ub'x. Might be a challenge to follow up on it, though, if the military is still feeling belligerent.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

29. Signaller

Signaller Know what you're doing yet?

Why hasn't Paul tried the omnicognisance thing?

30. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

What, for the whole Galaxy? Last time he tried that was on Earth and he was there for a pretty long time. You want him to be frozen for half a century looking for the Indigo Lanterns?