1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

...That got me thinking. He should really get in touch with Wallace, ask how his side effects are going, and offer to try to get a consultation with a maltusian about it, since they seem to have at least some understanding of magic stuff, even if they have a very different approach to such things.
    I feel really confused about what exactly the Controllers is a collaboration about. I mean, it explicitly isn't a collaboration about 'defeating the reach', and there definitely isn't anything clear that makes the Controllers working on something other than the reach war, and random other maltusians on maltus.

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I don't know where you're from, but around here it's learner's permit at 14, full license at 16.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  3. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Kansas law is (or at least was)
    Farmer's permit - 14, but your family had to own some farm ground (technically, we drove the back roads whenever the kids feet reached the peddles, but that was in the early 2000s)
    Learner's permit - 16
    Full - 18

Darn, joke would not work. Too much variance in the law across the nation.

DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  4. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

You know, I actually forgot. How did Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes Paul manage to recharge his ring?

DrThoth, Ardy, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Huh. I'm from Kansas. It changed since I got my own license.

(Though I, too, drove the pickup to help lay irrigation pipe when I was big enough to control it. That was in the late 1980s.)

DrThoth and Gilhelmi like this.
  6. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think Zoat mentioned that he managed to get hold of a infinity stone, but that could also have been the MCU one.
    Edit: I just looked it up, he used a Norn Stone, while MCU Paul used a infinity stone.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. Gilhelmi

I only knew about the Farm permit being special because the local police had a thing about "underage driving" so I had very strict rules on only driving between school, farm, and home. Many of my friends were annoyed that I got to drive that early.

Though, now that I think about it. I do think they added the Learner's permit and Full license in the 90's. I recall some of my other friends complaining about just missing the cut-off and not getting their full license for 2 more years.

8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

At this point I don't even care who Paul ends up with but I'm sorry, in this fic, give me AlanxDiana or give me death.

9. Gilhelmi

Is there an RP thread where I can duel you to the death? Because them are fighting words, and can only be meet with dice at high-noon.

Simonbob and Lord Ernest like this.
  10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I'm personally fond of Alan with Hinon, myself.

DrThoth, Afforess, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

It can be a three-way death match, because unless Ganurath is trolling us, wars have been started for less.

IsActuallyBatman, Vorian and Gilhelmi like this.
  12. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

That's basically pedophilia.

13. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Common sense Paul probably didn't make many of the choices Grayven and Oh El did.

For example I am sure common sense Paul would have avoided Constantine like he was the plague and immediately get into getting Doctor Fate a new body, not leaving him in a shelf.

He would probably be looking into alternative superpowers to his greed ring just in case. And also discard all the dangerous ones.

What else?

Well, besides getting miss Martian a human telepath to talk with, get therapy for everyone and so on...

Darn, sounds too much like a fix fic.

Right, common sence means he would have contacted Mister Miracle (Scott Free) about the Sphere to avoid misunderstandings.

Also he would give the League a list of possible threats, or if he was paranoid, probably work on anti mind reading defences like Grayven.

Thinking about it, his knowledge of DC Comics would probably be the most he be worried about.

Think of what Luthor could do with something like that. And all that knowledge is just a guy the Light can hire away. Or just a mage using mind control.

14. Ganurath

They are both mature adults, in both the physical and mental senses in each case. Just how basic is the logic behind that assertion?
    More making a joking reference to an in-setting conversation. It was established earlier that Hinon's desires, in their entirety, is to be as Hinon as possible. A romantic entanglement would make her less Hinon and more [Name]'s [Romantic Designation], as much as it would make [Name] less [Name] and more Hinon's [Romantic Designation].

Gilhelmi likes this.
  15. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

The logic seems to be based on the assumption that there isn't necessarily a upper limit to mental maturity; that is, it's always possible to get wiser and more capable with age.

Whether or not this is true, it's usually not a huge difference in humans after a certain point. But Hinon is billions of years old. So she is tens of millions of times older than Alan, which is about the same as the age difference between Alan and a zygote which has been fertilized for a few seconds.

infinityDivided likes this.
  16. Ganurath

Increasing the upper bound on wisdom doesn't increase the minimum prerequisite for sexual intimacy, and even if it did for some reason I doubt that Hinon has that much more experience than Alan in the field.

17. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

YES. THIS.
    Hinon is literally older than humanity itself, and the difference between their ages... well, by human standards, a romantic relationship with something that much older than you would be weird or daunting at best. But by Maltusian standards, it would probably be as weird for her to be dating a human (that isn't even a century old, that cradle-robber) as it would be like a human being in a romantic relationship with a dog. Sure, they may have the capacity for the same general emotions, but there is an ENORMOUS GAP of intelligence, experience and emotional maturity between the two.

It would make much better sense for her to pursue one of Earth's gods, except A; I don't think she's looking for romance right now, and B; there's still the same issues of age, intelligence, experience, and emotional maturity she would have from a human.

Anyone from Earth, period, is going to be too young for her.

18. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Why not pair Alan with both Diana and Paula?

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  19. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Or, it was a joke?

Well, I thought it was funny.

Lord Ernest and Buggy123 like this.
  20. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

6th February
    11:48 GMT -6

I hold out my left hand.

"Ring, come."

"By this ring, my honour upheld
    By this ring, my wrongs repaid
    By this ring, my slights revenged
    By this ring, I fight and live
    !"

Lantern Xor's environmental shield shimmers as he unclenches his left fist and regards the unmoving ring on his ring finger.

"By George, I think you've got it."

He looks at me, then at the ring, then at me, his breathing becoming more rapid and… I think he's smiling. … Sort of. He clenches his fists again, construct gauntlets forming around them and then dissipating as he unclenches.

"That is it? You can no longer remove my ring?"

"Not easily. Oh, and congratulations. Lantern Ragnar still can't reliably perform this technique."

Lanter Xor stops 'smiling'. "Do not make this easy for me. Every wound taken in training is one not taken in the field. I need to learn."

I hold up my hands. "You are able to resist this technique. That does not mean that I cannot use other techniques, or that your exotic defences are proof against being undermined in other ways. Gaining proficiency with a rifle does not mean that you have also mastered artillery."

He nods, calming himself.

"I understand, Illustres. What is next?"

I shrug.

"There are any number of things we could practise. What do you want to learn? How do you want to apply these skills?"

"I will apply them in accordance with my oath. I have accepted your ring and I follow your orders. I have held my temper when I dealt with this world's inquisitors and public informers. As such, my honour is upheld. The harm I inflicted on civilians and their property when I first arrived, I have undone as much as I can and performed service in lieu when I could not."

And wasn't that fun to try and explain to people. Three weeks of a giant orange and grey alien carrying a seventy year old grandfather's shopping and mowing his lawn as repayment for causing him to fall over in shock and break his right hip.

"As such, my wrongs are repaid. All that is left is my slights. The wrongs committed against me."

"Are any of those against locals?"

"Soldiers fight who they are told to fight. I owe those I injured or slew no debt, but nor do I bear them malice. Their commander has been publically shamed."

Bit of a stretch, but General Hardcastle was strongly criticised by the White House and strong-armed into resigning his commission. And if Xor is happy with that then I'm not going to try and convince him not to be.

"All those who remain who have slighted me are on my homeworld." For a moment he looks a little lost. "So it is there that I must return."

"You don't sound particularly eager."

"I was raised high in the service of a man named Jaggar Ton. For years I served him loyally as his bodyguard. I was happy with a life of honourable service, but when I grew inconvenient he had me convicted of a murder I did not commit. I do not… Understand such dishonour. Thinking about that place causes my liver great pain. Yet… What else can I do? I will never be whole if there is not a full accounting."

And the thing is, he's right. He won't be. His oath is spot on: these drives are so fundamental to him that he can't turn from them.

"How do you mean 'inconvenient'? I would have thought that a bodyguard of your strength would be invaluable."

"His daughter and I became involved."

Ah. I nod.

"Seems a bit extreme. He could just have fired you."

"'A bit extreme?'." Xor stares at me. "He had his own wife killed so that there was a victim."

I blink. "What?"

"Yes. It still bewilders me. When I was in his service I knew that he could be… Cunning. Deceitful. But I had never seen him act in such an… Evil way."

"Ah-h?"

Okay… Yes… There are human societies where the murder of a spouse for certain types of behaviour has a disturbing degree of acceptance even today. But to do that to give yourself an excuse to fire your bodyguard..?

"Are you sure he did it?"

Xor's face freezes. "What?"

"I accept that you didn't do it, but… Are you certain that he had her killed?"

"Yes."

"Did you..? See any sort of violence in their relationship before that?"

"Not between them. That is why I find it so shocking."

"Was..? Mister Ton a soldier himself?"

"No."

"Had he been..? Attempting to arrange a political marriage for his daughter?"

"Not where I could hear it. And Onigar made no mention of it when we were together."

"Does Alignment society have a formal caste system?"

"No."

"I'm… Sorry, Lantern Xor, but I'm not clear why you think he killed her. There were easier ways to get rid of you, and he'd risk being found out."

"Then who did?"

"I don't know. A business rival? Some… Random mugger? You said you got the job as his bodyguard for saving his life, so clearly assassinations happen."

"Then why blame me?! At his order, I would have slaughtered anyone who dared attack his family. And I liked her."

"He might genuinely believe that you did it. He might have been being blackmailed or threatened by whoever did it. Xalitan, have you really learned so little from your exposure to Earth's justice system?"

He just glowers.

"What would you do, if he was in front of you… Right now?"

"I would want to kill him for his lies, for what he has done to me. But…" His closes his eyes for a moment, his breathing slowing. "If he were… Truly ignorant. That would not be right." He opens his eyes. "Before I kill him, I must know. I must know why he did it, what he believed."

I nod.

"Good. I'm impressed with the control you showed there. New orders, Lantern Xor. Return to your prison transport and make it ready for a journey back to Alignment space. We'll return there together and get you some answers."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  21. Ganurath

Seems I was right about Paula's hookup.

22. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Ooo... Murder mystery time.

23. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

I was looking through your past comments trying to figure out who it was Paula hooked up with. I thought you were saying it was Lantern Xalitan Xor for a moment. If that were the case Paula would be surprisingly open minded, and in desperate need of a purple healing ray afterwards. He's a big fella.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  24. Ganurath

Power rings are awesome, and Grayven demonstrated proficiency in using them to overcome that limitation.

Speaking of, I'm curious what happened to Xor in Grayven's continuity.

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul is a good boss.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, the OLC is going with more personalised oaths. Most suitable.

"Propiety Unlocked."

I like that explanation. Exactly how a soldier-for-life would understand it.

In addition to healing him, No doubt?

I owe those I injured or slew no debt, but nor do I bear then malice.

Good idea.

I was happy with a life of honourable service...

And as an Orange Lantern, doing so would critically weaken him.

Tale as old as time...

Wait, what?

Even 'alien culture' only goes so far. Methinks we have our plot!

Curiouser and curiouser...

If he had gone straight for revenge, he'd have made a better Red Lantern than Orange.

Yup, road trip!

Well, we have a plot, bets on how it'll play out?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  27. Ganurath

I've got five Likes on it being a Reach plot.

28. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

I like this guy.

He's got a real code, and he lives it.

Awesome.

29. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

30. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

No, his evil twin did it.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.