1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So... what is Whaler’s power? Is he white enlightened or something? Did he somehow get a part of Ion and is called the Whaler because of that? Why can he use constructs, and why does his face have white lines?

Ardy likes this.
  2. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

i'm betting on him being a Proto-White Light user

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

With green, you can't be fancy because you have to focus on pushing every inch of the way. On the plus side, green can't do anything by accident, and can be aimed in any direction.
    The other colors are "pushed" by the users "emotions" to a greater or lesser degree, which makes them easier to use, but limits you to certain directions.
    White is broken as hell because you can pick whichever part of the spectrum is pushing in the direction you want to go at the moment.

nobodez, Cuchulin and Sad Machine like this.
  4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I understand that according to JLA/JSA Secret Files his powers come from the Aurora Borealis and his tribe comes from the land bridge between Asia and North America, but his origins were never explored in his appearances.

And the only colors I remember his constructs being were green, which is rather odd for his supposed origin.

Unless he was supposed to be a part of like a sentai team-pink, green, yellow, blue, violet, orange and white.

5. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

that actually makes me think of Dying light (videogame) a little- when the script wants to, its fucking HILERIOUS, but it hits so hard partly because its serious the majority of the time, and the writers knew when to use levity without ruining immersion/the setting, instead of going full-on-cartoonishly-goofy the entire time.

6. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

There will be a random Malvolio that appears to wreck some shit!
    Will our intrepid lantern trio be able to stop this font of willpower and evil?????

moralrelativity likes this.
  7. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

What's wrong with admitting that most of your information is from extra-dimensional (or possibly "extra-universal") sources that may or may not be accurate locally? Paul has been known to be outside his current universe at least a couple of times by now, so that should be enough truth in a misleading enough manner to not reveal things he doesn't want to reveal.

8. Gantradies

i mean, the way i see it, in a setting like this, there -is- no "real" world-
    it'd be perfictly reasonable for their to be projections/infomation leakage between worldlines fairly frequently- a "mutually fictional" type thing-
    there's allready arguably a precident with Earth Prime and all- when whiny-little-up-himself-bitch-Prime went psychotic, it leaked into the "real" comics, and his friends/family essetially disowned him for being a genocidal lunatic-
    i dont really think the reveal would REALLY be THAT traumatic if presented through the lens of "yes, your world is fictional where i came from- if you went through enough bookshops, there's a very high chance mine is here!"

Vorian, Ardy and Lord Ernest like this.
  9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Personality I am more interested on the conversation Guy will have about Nekkron and the black light. Paul probably doesn't remember he name dropped that during combat, but the Guardians probably do, and since their first attempt to get information on that failed (when Paul went to Oa), I wouldn't be surprised if they tell information to Guy to see if he can get Paul talking.

I am sure the Guardians must be almost shitting bricks by now, in less than two years they have got confirmation of the compassion corps being active for a while, the greed ones are finally a proper lantern core, the love ones are very close (probably being helped along after the guardians/controllers discovered the anti-monitor armor piece), the hope has a powerful user (and Ganted (sp) will probably complete his project now that he knows they failed to erase the anti-monitor) and Siniestro of the fear has been awfully quiet these past few months... As far as they know only the light of rage lacks a lantern core or a powerful user and the black light is already active in the planet they decided to hide/stash the life embodiment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hope lantern Paul respects, shows up on earth in a couple of months to meet his senpai Alan, leading to the team mentioning how Paul respected him as a light user and everyone picking up on the issue that he is a new lantern that Paul knew ahead of time.

10. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I would have already used the Ophidian as explanation. I mean, who can account for all the random little things that the Ophidian and Paul did together with their level of power? They probably only noticed the major things and Paul doesn't remember every little thing until some context allows him (like seeing everyone, everywhere, from every angle, naked at least once), so who says if one of those random things wasn't investigating stuff on Earth or random 'True Sight' across the galaxy or watching ancient and significant (conveniently comic book relevant) events from their mark in the Honden of Avarice? The only one that could say that's a lie is the Ophidian... and I don't think she will tell.

At this point he may need to commit, get a good enough lie they can't catch (he can just say he has the information but can't precisely say from which one unique source he got it and use the Ophidian as possible explanation, which is still misdirection and not literally lying) or just own up to it and say he got it from his universe (say like, there's some documented and illustrated stories from his universe that seem to explore other adjacent or random universes, some of which seem to bear remarkable similarities with this universe but not complete parity and Hinon believes my world's version of 'Metahumans' just have a high sensitivity through the Bleed to witness, although not perfectly, events from other universes; again not a lie but sounds with more gravitas than just... graphic novels or comic books).

11. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I can see some sense in not telling Guy. Letting him know that not only is he a fictional character, but is also not very well thought of, has been used in some very cringey ways over the years, and is regularly pushed aside for Hal might just negatively affect his sense of self. Which in turn would greatly weaken him.

Just a thought.

12. Gantradies

as a counterpoint, you could reinforce how he's... well, not the Guy OL read about- he's a person, not a punchline or 2D comic relief- he's highly compitent, Driven,and geninely dedicated AND successful at
    improving society past rightous face-punching in his other job in a way few powered individuals manage,as well as being a genuinely talented Lantern who's arguably the most skilled of the Earther lanterns at this point, to the point of innovating a hard-counter technique to Assimilation entirely on his own- focus on pointing out all the ways the "leaked" infomation/stories isnt entirely accurate past the basics- after all, in the DC canon i remember, we're just in another paralel ourselves....

though i fully agree that any such reveal WOULD be inherently risky given the nature of his power source- i just feel... well...
    look at where dodging the truth got Renpaul as of now, twice over (relationship AND AL exposure)...

also, on the practical level, a handful of people (who dont have John Constantine's LITERALLY supernaturally bad luck) to compare notes with could be genuinely useful to fact- check his database

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  13. ericjj999

ericjj999 Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I'm enjoying this new story-line. I hope you'll keep writing this.

14. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

...Doesn't Paul still have his problem with fiat currency that means that his contempt of the whole thing makes him unable to use it? I think you meant to have him just give a coin, though I understand the desire for the joke.

15. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

He lost that problem quite a while ago, when he became enlightened.

16. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

No wonder Kyle is a freak then.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because then he would have to admit there's a very good chance his information isn't accurate.

And he value's his "all knowing" reputation too much for that.

18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

In the comics I remember, Kyle builds by making construct cranes and diggers and having them do the work of regular cranes and diggers. He didn't literally make things until he started turning into Ion.

19. Gantradies

i remember from ages back, OL commented on the other Earther Lanterns and their constructs-i cant clearly remember who's it was- it was a situation that had almost everyone in the field/using their rings at once,and he was thinking/comparing their styles internally-it might have been a sparring match, or...
    but theirs (i think either Jon or Alan) stood out because..well..they were more REAL, detailed-nuts, bolts and (assumedly)welds- replicas of/actual objects formed out of the green light instead of just the form- it did a really god job of subtly emphasizing how hard/unusual it is to "REALLY" make something with a bobblehead ring, instead of a rough aproximation...

like...say a lawnmower- most who could project one,there'd be the shell, and blades-but they're be sepereate/unconnected, floating in space...

nobodez and Ardy like this.
  20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

While all the things he makes are just constructs; read DC One Million and one of the crossovers with the Avengers to see the stuff he can make.

A perfect replica of Iron Man armor? No problem!

.Holding an explosion that might wipe a whole Galaxy? He needs help but still can hold it in his own for a minute or two.

Prince Charon and nobodez like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Aren’t those sort of considered non-canon? DC One Million is definetely not a good approximation of his actual current powers, since all current heroes are more powerful there, and the Avengers comics do some weird things to make pairs of characters nearly equivalent in power.

22. Blackgutter

Blackgutter Versed in the lewd.

I would like to know if the robot chicken DC universe will ever show up. They are quite funny.

23. Mr Zoat

That was John Stewart. In theory he does it in the comics as well. In practice, it was mentioned once and then forgotten.

24. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Kyle power levels(and powers) keep changing but if he wants something canon, he was able to fight Parallax away with just a bit of help. And I meant the fear entity.

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Depends on which crossover you're talking about. If it's JL/Avengers, then no, it's still canon, even despite flashpoint.

Krona was trapped in a universe egg at the end of that crossover.

That universe was shown to have hatched in Trinity, where Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman replaced Krona as the gods of that universe.

That universe is now Earth-1 of the post flashpoint multiverse.

So that universe is the setting of Superman: Earth-One, Batman: Earth-One, Teen Titans: Earth-One, Wonder Woman: Earth-One, and Green Lantern: Earth-One.

26. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

He knew the secret identities of the entire Justice League, and a huge number of other heros and villains, to a high degree of accuracy. Certainly the Justice League was something like 100% accurate.
    He isn't familiar with the exact universe, but he's accurately predicted many plotlines, backstories, ex-cetera.
    He was basically fully aware of the general state of Vega, with enough detail in some cases to know where, specifically, to find several different people. One of which was hidden behind a false wall deep inside a heavily secured prison.

I'd say that there's a very good chance that his information is accurate.

27. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

The real problem would be if he brought up Guy's Warrior phase. That was... Really something.

Cuchulin likes this.
  28. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

And even if Walker's ring has the malware, Being near Alan's green light soul would unlock it.

29. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

6th February
    11:43 GMT

"Megatron."

"Megatron."

Best Starscream voice. "That's all I ever hear! After today no one will need to use that name again!"

Guy squints. "Huh?"

"When I was little, I had a cassette with a Transformers story on it. At one point Starscream throws a classic hissy fit and shouts 'Megatron! Megatron! That's all I ever hear…"

Guy leans back, shrugging. "I didn't really watch th' show."

"So… Do you actually know who Megatron is?"

From the pilot's seat, Xor grunts. "No."

Guy looks mildly offended. "Sure I know who Megatron is, but that's 'cause of… Cultural osmosis, or whatever. How tha Hell is Megatron your inspiration?"

"As well as that cassette, I had a tape with two episodes of the animated series on it. The first one was set after the film, with Starscream's ghost collecting city transformer eyes for Unicron-"

Guy shrugs and shakes his head. Damn casual.

"-the planet eater… Never mind. The second episode has the Decepticons build a machine which lets them share their special abilities with Megatron. He then challenges Optimus Prime to a fight and kicks his arse. And it might sound silly now, but when I was little that was a big shock. The hero of the story flat out losing because the villain was better prepared."

At the pilot's station, Xor's ring starts glowing. Why-? Ah, he's asking it to explain Transformers to him. Good luck with that.

"So you grab all the powers you can, because that way you can beat up Optimus Prime."

I lean back in my chair. "I was at an impressionable age. It made a big impact. Oh, and the other part of the story had the Constructicons digging into the Autobots' fortified mountain base while they were all out watching the fight, so the whole thing is double relevant to me."

Guy thinks about that for a moment. "Kinda… Kinda think I took the hard road as far as childhood motives goes."

"I…" Urghhh… "I can't.. joke about that."

Guy turns to look straight in front of us, at the main view screen. "Sure you can. I've got the piss-tasting beer to remind me he's gone, haven't I?"

"Fine: I got productive kleptomania out of my childhood trauma and all you got was a lousy haircut."

"See? Not so hard." He shifts in his seat. "'course, if I'd had VHS tapes I liked watchin', pa woulda smashed them up." He shrugs. "Maybe burned them while I watched."

"A…""A…"

Guy turns his eyes my way and the git starts smiling.

Xor looks around. "Giant robots? You are talking about giant robots?"

Guy holds up his right hand and generates a passable Generation 1 Megatron construct.

"No. Made up giant robots. If they'd been real giant robots this would be a sensible thing ta talk about."

Xor stares blankly at me. "You are motivated by your desire to beat a fictional giant robot you remember from your childhood?"

"No, it's the principle. A comedically evil character wins because he's studied his enemy and built up his own power. In the core of my nature is an abhorrence of that."

"Evil don’t get to win when Orange is around."

"I-."

"Which makes me kinda curious about what happened yesterday."

"I thought my report was fairly thorough. I don't really like what happened, but it was the best I could come up with in the time I was prepared to spend there."

He dismisses his construct. "Givin' Megatron a do-over?"

"There was a story where Shockwave managed to unify Cybertron under his leadership after millions of years of war by creating and controlling a reliable fuel supply. Look, you've seen enough of the really evil civilisations which exist in the universe to know that a criminal network on Earth isn't actually that bad in the general scheme of things. Heck, I made a deal with the Spider Guild last year. They eat people."

He jerks his head in my direction. "They still eatin' people?"

"They didn't specifically promise to stop…""I'll visit Vega once we're finished here."

Guy frowns at me. "Yeah, you do that. And how come we've got another Star Sapphire?"

"Guy, now that you're in a long term relationship with Tora, are you happier or less happy than you were before?"

"Hal was happier when he was with our Carol. Love's… Great. That ain't the point. Our Carol was a rookie. You gave a crystal we know makes people crazy to a goddamn vet."

"A veteran who's used the violet light without going crazy for years, yes. That's like comparing me to Larfleeze." I lean towards him. "Look, the way I see it, it was only a matter of time before the Zamarons make a nuisance of themselves. But Maltusian society prizes the ability to exert influence. If she flies up to them with a template for, A, letting mortals use the violet light without going crazy and, B, making a Corps of their own, I strongly suspect that they'll go for it."

"And if they don't?"

"Then they've got-"

"We are arriving."

"-one extra Lantern."

Normal space reappears, an unimportant system outside the nominal borders of Alignment space. And in the distance I feel our contact, Lantern Canar.

Guy pulls himself out of his chair.

"Alright then. Let the shit storm commence."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  30. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, that's pretty interesting. Up until now I had the impression that Paul spent his childhood reading/watching every bit of DC media ever made.