1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

no, as in gigastalins- it’s not a metric system, half the units and scale points don’t make consistent sense!

boo600, Ardy, Navi-Hank and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you @ThrawnCA for the reminder. 'Seven' refers to the fact that Grayven said he would pick her up at seven.

boo600, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 5 others like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

No idea what that was so I'll just delete it.
    Changed.
    Updated.
    I seem to remember that the tense thing was intentional.
    Thank you, corrected.
    She's punctuating it as a tamaranian name.

4. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Wasn't that hinted in this whole Arc? That the reason he can feel alternate universe Scoot Free is because the native Scoot helped him with his whole "Anti-Life" problem?

Navi-Hank and DAT_NOOB like this.
  5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I think the real problem is that there is no known life equation, even to Scott.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  6. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Or put another way:

erebus1994 and DAT_NOOB like this.
  7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

However, given Zoat's much-professed love of the new 52 perhaps he knows of the white lantern's light being the life equation? unless that came after the start of the story.

Ardy likes this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The Life Equation has been a term in DC for decades before Flashpoint actually.

In a New Gods series, Highfather referred to the Source as the "Life Equation" I can't recall if that was in the seventies or eighties.

And in one history of Darkseid's obsession with the Anti-Life Equation, he got the concept from the Martians explaining their concept of the Life Equation to him.

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah - but the Life Equation being the source is kind of mutually exclusive with Scott knowing it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Mother Boxes literally run on the Life Equation.

companionship + understanding + assurance + joy + altruism ÷ respect ÷ commendation ÷ sympathy x innocence x dignity x success x acceptance y=n where y=despair and n=caution, love=truth, death=rebirth, and self=light side

Buggy123, Ngamer11 and Prince Charon like this.
  11. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Among other issues one would think it would be ”Self = Valid” but what do I know.

12. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

In anti life is Self = Dark side

But if you want to have fun...

self=Be a Bro!

13. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's five different equations.

Also, only altruism is multiplied/divided by respect, commendation, and sympathy... and it's divided by them, in series, so the overall 'value' of life goes down with more respect, sympathy, innocence, dignity, success, or acceptance?

I'm not saying Highfather is bad at math... but mmaaaaaybe he should try to find a New God of Arithmetic? No wonder Darkseid usually wins.

boo600, Vorian, Jormuungaand and 2 others like this.
  14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, this is the anti-life.

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side

boo600 and Buggy123 like this.
  15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but life = pain isn’t part of that dark side equation. The light version would also probably have Life = pleasure in there. Also, we still have no indication that Scott knows it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

[Points vaguely in the direction of the FAQ.]

[Goes to have a lie down.]

17. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 20)
    Mr Zoat

Life=Pain.
    Life=Pain.

The girl I took into my home, took into my family, the bright and vibrant young thing who blossomed under my tutelage was just casually killed by my alter-ego.

Grayven cringes and grabs his head while the tamaranian takes a fighting pose, a glowing starry-blue claw forming around her right hand. I walk out of the upright sarcophagus, my steps leaden.

I remember her infectious enthusiasm, the joy she felt at arcane discovery and her anticipation for her return to Equestria, where now I will not even have a body to return to her former mentor.

"Anti-Life, he gave you-!"

"My Lord?"

Her face her face her face her face-

"No. You can't control it!" He smiles, an expression I'll never see on Sunset's face again. "I will learn so much from your-."

"Pain."

He staggers. "No no! You-!"

"There's nothing to control. It just is."

"Madman!"

"Every action you take, every thought you have."

The tamaranian's claw strikes my armour, biting at it but failing to penetrate.

"Life."

She looks up to the sky and admires the beautiful fires in the sky which she learns were the Citadel and gordanian landing craft when one drags her away-

"Ah!"

-to begin her life as a valueless slave. She will be violently raped for the first time that evening, back before she learned not to try fighting back.

She stumbles, half-collapsing, her claw fading away into nothing.

"Pain."

"Tube!"

Boom!

"Life."

Grayven darts forward to grab the tamaranian, then dives for the tube opening. I could follow, but why bother? It works out the same anyway.

Life=Pain

I made Lynne a safe home, and now one of her friends is dead. It was bad enough when Father showed up, but this? The idea that any of her friends could just be gone in a moment will drive her to shut down once again.

Why am I even standing? It will…

Why did I chase them off?

I-.

Sunset's dead. Rex is dead too, from events his infant mind couldn't begin to-.

"Grayven? Oooooh no."

I look up as Scott tries to decide whether to leave the room or not. It won't matter. In here is the man who brought him to the attention of his Grayven, out there the angry New God who has certainly decided that keeping him alive is no longer necessary.

"Anti-Life infection. Mother Box?"

"Ping." / "Ping-g."

"But just a little one. Ah, okay."

He leads the gordanians away from the refugee extraction point, smiling as he dodges around their fire and the force fields close around him and his instinct-

"Yeah, but that was then-" He steps forward, taking hold of my hands. "-and this is now." Always a Way Out.

-deserts him-

"Which was pretty scary, I don't mind telling you-"

Fear.

"-but it just made me want to get free that much more."

"Uuuuhhuuhuhuh."

"Yeah, you can say that again."

I'm shaking as I meet his eyes.

"You know, out of the two Grayvens I've met, I definitely like you the best."

Sunset's dead-. No, no, that way lies the death spiral.

"You're.. only joint first, for Scott Frees. Your Barda's bringing up the rear."

"What did you do?"

"I've got an Anti-Life fragment inside me. The-. Your Grayven destroyed the Justice Lords' Watchtower. A dear friend of mine was probably on it, and the son of a couple of other friends. I was trapped in that-" I glance backwards at the machine, whose tron lines are gently smoking where they tried coping with the Anti-Life and came up short. "-device and it was the only way I could come up with to get out."

"Well, thank you. I was trapped in another one until you did that. The guy in purple and black was blocking me somehow. Constantly changing what the Sarcophageus was doing to keep me inside."

"'Thank you'? She's dead, Scott-."

"Not necessarily. Batman… Is a very cunning man. They might have made it out. You don't know that she's dead."

"I-." Intellectually, I know that he's right. There are ways they could have escaped. And I know that how I'm feeling is an effect of Anti-Life exposure. I should focus on the feeling of hope in order to free myself faster.

But I'm just not feeling it quite yet.

"Barda?"

"Somewhere else, I hope. Mother Box?"

"Ping."

"Looks like black-and-purple is blocking my boom tube again. Can you get up?"

"I think.. so."

I plant my right hand on the floor and push, get my feet back under me…

Sinestro?

Still here, Lantern Grayven. Please try to avoid situations where you might need to do that again.

Will.. do.

I nod to myself. "Where do we go from here?"

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  18. Cherico

Cherico Connoisseur.

that moment when you realize the softer lighter version of you is also more bad ass then you are.

boo600, Jaron, FourthPear and 45 others like this.
  19. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*my boom tube

And a space is needed between these lines.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

Things at which Paragon is better: coping with Anti-Life.

Given that Darkseid is (one of) the big bads of the DC Universe, and especially seems to be Renegade's endgame boss, I feel like that's going to be the biggest difference between the two paths Renegade and Paragon have taken.

Can't wait to see you curse at the Source Wall, "Grayven"!

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Did Scott's fear and avarice help stabilize Grayven via his rings?

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow, Scott can deal with the Anti-Life pretty easily o_O

ChestBurster, zerofarad, RGFJ and 4 others like this.
  24. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

The thing a lot of people forget is that the Velvet Glove does a lot to protect the Iron Fist.

Paulven's views of "The biggest badass is not the guy who gets in all the fights; it's the guy who ends them." probably isn't that obvious to a native Apokoliptian.

Thanks
    Luc "'The Velvet Revolver In The Latex Glove' on the other hand..." French

25. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Well, yeah.

There's Always a Way Out, after all.

Drizaro, Vorian, Gilhelmi and 14 others like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, Grayven-50 ain't getting out of this without loosing stuff. Just a matter of how much he can save for himself.

She has no chance. Interesting power, though... A Psion experiment?

Hey, she might have gotten away. Don't doubt the Girl-Unicorn.

Heh, G-50 seems shocked. Daddy didn't like him enough to give him a little gift?

The Renegade isn't trying to control it, though... Grayven-50 has so much overconfidence, it's making him stupid.

And now he's learning how much overconfidence can backfire. Trying to grab more than he can hold? Big mistake, especially where Earth is involved.

Oof, unlucky for her. I doubt she deserved the full force of that, but working for Grayven-50? Probably not a nice person anyway.

That's it, cut and run. Doubting your resistance to Anti-life, are you?

Surprised he bothered to save his flunky. Maybe she's the one thing he bothers to care for?

Damn, that hurts to read, and I don't just mean the text colour. Seriously, if not for the Anti-life, that would be Violet and Indigo as fuck.

Ooh, John and Shayera must be pissed.

Ah, possibly the one man who can help the Renegade right now.

I like that confidence. 'Just a little one', eh?

Ah, that's how he got caught, eh?

Ah, I see. Channel Emotion at him to weaken the crippling depression of the Anti-life chunk.

Ha!

There we go, Emotion back at the wheel.

Well, that's one way to keep the New God of Freedom from escaping: a cell that constantly changes.

In the words of the Fifth Doctor: Brave Heart, Renegade.

If Ring-nestro is as complex as he seems, I doubt that felt particularly fun.

Home, I would hope. As much as Grayven-50 deserves it, there's not much hope of tracking him down and feeding him his ass.

Well, Godzilla has come and gone. I bet Grayven-50 feels a little bit like Tokyo right now. No less than he deserves...

A little Godspeech, free of charge:

27. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

It is kind of the man's shtick

28. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

It's kind of ironic and amusing that the Renegade's worst moment, one can argue, has ended up being his last option double edged poisonous sword. And that both times he has used or showed it is against his Grayven alter-ego.

Besides that, Scott is 'best bro', and that 'Doctor Nobody' guy better run or he won't like when the Renegade gets his hands on him. I mean, I don't think Scott will let the Renegade exercise his right for lethal retribution but 'mishaps' happen, you know.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

In a non fan-fiction world to New Genesis to have the Anti-Life equation that's slowly killing you removed.

But since this is a fan-fiction I am going to guess to go pick up your miraculously surviving allies. (Except maybe the Genomorphs who are pretty much faceless clones so don't really count on the "always survive" scale.)

30. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

.... Random question but did we ever find out what happened to the Earth-50 Paul?