1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

OL: "Violence is the answer."
    DC characters: "Seems legit."
    Well. He's gone native.

2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but there’s always fairly easy ways for someone even slightly competent to get around things like national registries. For guns, 20 years ago smuggling was a thing, and guns can be made from simple components that can even be 3D printed nowadays. Prohibition is similar, for a historical example. With some other illegal things (such as slave and drug trading on the Dark Web), VPNs are a thing nowadays as well. Hopefully, saying that doesn’t cross the no politics rule, since it’s fairly old, and more to do with technology than politics. Also, it avoids whether or not it should be done, and argues for whether or not it’s even possible.

With magic, everyone evil worth fighting is probably competent enough to avoid a national registry registering them in some way. Maybe with the same way they’re keeping OL from tracking them. Everyone not competent enough, such as novices trying to gain power through blood sacrifice, can’t really be considered a dangerous mage. And if they have a teacher, untraceability will just become one of the first things taught. Don’t really see the registry working out for catching old offenders. At best, you can idiot proof magic, but the risk of it going wrong, and difficulty of learning it, already makes it idiot proof. However, the more you idiot proof things with registries, the better people get at hiding illegal activity in general, and the more it gets concentrated on being done by select individuals, leading to fewer, but worse crimes. This is actually possibly fairly similar to DC. Scarcity causes demand, which raises funding for supply, allowing more creative solutions. What they can do, to avoid the people now being trained in magic from going evil, is to keep a registry of students’ magic. Though that might start to lead to a situation like in the Dragon Age games, now that I think about it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    The rule is not 'no politics'. The rule is 'no modern politics', 'modern' being defined as 'the last twenty years'. The Second Amendment to the US Constitution is 228 years old.

4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Discussion of gun control laws is much more modern, really only coming to a head in the past 20 years, with the ability to actually keep track of guns with things like fairly cheap computers and the internet, capable of recording every gun sold preety much ever.

5. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

1. If it wasn't inappropriate, it wouldn't be funny.
    2. Men sell Avon too. :D

dogbertcarroll, ninguem and Navi-Hank like this.
  6. DaftTechno

DaftTechno Standard Gamer Metalhead

Maxim #6 "If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Simonbob, Vorian, BBJimmy and 7 others like this.
  7. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

It is really inconsiderate of these magic cultists to hide all of their empowered equipment from the latest adventurer. Your dungeon has been invaded, your minions thwarted, your traps sprung, your backstory touched upon, your plan ruined and your doomsday device is being torn to shreds.

What more do you want?! Start sharing the loot!

Edit: As for the global magical energy detector/warning system... There are so many incidents involving a hero mucking with a neutral or positive "monstrous" party of supernatural or magical origin that leads to violence. I have a feeling that every solstice and eclipse, just for starters, will measure a magical buildup somewhere on the planet which does not require a nuke or militarized response.

Rebu, Simonbob, Lord Ernest and 6 others like this.
  8. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I've been seeing a bunch of stills from the injustice comics on social media and it got me wondering, do we have any omakes from paul living in the injustice universe?

DrThoth and NightmareWarden like this.
  9. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

I don't think we do! Which is particularly odd since we even got a Marvel Cinematic Universe omake for him.

DrThoth and DAT_NOOB like this.
  10. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

Yeah, I imagine that the sixth or seventh time Zatanna gets called in for orgy magic she'll regret backing it.

Rebu, Simonbob, Vorian and 6 others like this.
  11. DAT_NOOB

I'm sorry context? your reply isn't quoting anything?

12. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

*dryly* in that case, im sure you have no problem with being the next sacrifice yourself...
    i mean, you'll probably be the only one this month!

Ardy and Frank Iannetta like this.
  13. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

In this you are wrong.

It is like saying Trump isn't modern politics just because he was born over 20 years ago.
    When I am pretty sure getting into a Trump Rant™ here (on either side) will earn you a nice little vacation for drowning the thread in politics. Modern Politics.

The Second Amendment is old hat, but Gun Control is very much a Current Political Issue. So getting into what you think the right, proper, or sane response about Gun Control is or should be is in fact a Rule Eight violation. Look again at the first post that prompted the Moderator response.

For example, Abortion and Women's rights is Modern Politics (Roe Vs Wade being over 20 years ago notwithstanding) because it is something people have divisive opinions about, and lobbyists both for and against. But women being allowed to vote or the prohibition of alcohol are Not Modern Politics because there is no large scale opposing viewpoints within the last 20 years, and they have this became settled issues, as opposed to raging clusterfucks the forum administration doesn't want to have to deal with.

14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Should be "a", not "an".

Not quite sure why OL is pushing the brute force methods...

Navi-Hank likes this.
  15. Navi-Hank

He's pissed that the Tameranians didn't inform him or Dox that they were glassing the Psions.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Violence is the answer to a fairly narrow range of problems, one of which the SI is encountering. That is to say, an ancient serial murderer.
    Yes, but I've watched the cinematic universe. The story for Injustice just doesn't make enough sense for me to want to write one.
    There is nothing that has been part of politics over twenty years ago that has not been a contentious issue within the last twenty years somewhere. Women voting is a contentious issue in several countries.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  17. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

I suspect the intent is something more like "no tribal/identity politics", is. no topics that major groups of political alignment among the playerbase are currently making hay with.

The reasoning would be that people have an unusually hard time tolerating/disregarding divergent opinions on topics under active contention or that are central to their identity. Ie. since politically "hot" topics tend to escalate while they're ongoing, the forum wants to avoid becoming a battleground for them.

From that perspective, the intent of the 20 year rule would be that such politics are likely to be dead and done with, which is obviously not the case with gun control.

18. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Just mentally add "in America" to every post.

19. Navi-Hank

Yeah, Americans as a general rule don't give a shit about the rest of the world. Only those dumbasses in Washington do.

DAT_NOOB and alid610 like this.
  20. alid610

alid610 Light of the Revolution

No no add first world country or a superpower.

Now hopefully OL can use the fear of another 2 worlds incident to pass a magic monitoring agency law.

21. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

No, sorry, but given a traumatic event of the magnitude of Klarion's little stunt people would be lining up to sign away those "fundamental rights" to ensure that it could never happen again. It's unfortunate, but we've seen it happen in the real world more than once so arguing that it wouldn't happen is just silly. The most recent example I'm going to give (because Rule 8) is the Japanese American internment camps during WW2.

22. DAT_NOOB

allow me to clarify why is Zatanna giving orgy maigc?
    Here:

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

All of which is completely meaningless since it would violate the US's 4th Amendment and numerous EU privacy laws for what's likely at most one or two people dying a month.

24. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thats unfortunately close to the 20 year rule for me to directly call you a retard but just think back and realize your stupidity

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Buggy123 like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

I think the implication was that a group would be performing a magic orgy and trigger the detection system, much in the same way that burning toast triggers smoke alarms.

Of course, given how Astra Logue ended up in Hell maybe it's worth checking.
    Even if you wish to disagree with someone vehemently, please take a moment to be a little more polite about it than this.

26. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

.... .... .... Ok Vaermina. We can't get into this here, so I'm just going to go back to pretending not to see any of your posts for a while.

27. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

You know, you can click on users and choose to ignore them.

28. Navi-Hank

That sounds like quitter talk

29. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

As a single example, in paragon-verse the sacrifice-making, demon-worshipping cult that composes the majority of the U.K. government cares little for laws, be they privacy or more basic things like "don't murder people". If they think that such a system could be used to their advantage, they'll find whatever loophole or justification they want and make it work.

As for the U.S., just as a single example, might I point out that OL is legally entitled to mind control/mind read anyone he suspects is doing 'supervillain' stuff? How much opposition do you think there will be to a system to detect big magic spikes like Roanoke? 'Clearly', says the average person, 'anyone using that much magic is up to no good, so it's more than justified to detect it.'.

30. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I imagine, that one day, pretty much everyone will have Vaermina on block. He'll still be sitting there, screaming into the void I imagine.

Gotta say. Enjoying this arc quite a bit so far. Refreshing after all that lumpy Gravy.