1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

... then he must be spending an awful lot of time in the sub continent, and Africa, and for that matter wider asia, because well after decolonization all those ethnic groups that hated each other before Europeans showed up went back to fighting each other with AKs.

I feel that this should have probably more directly referred to twelve ongoing civil wars. Like I could probably find you twelve separate insurgencies between the countries that are just in Southern Asia, or Central Africa, and depending on how you define insurgency in central and latin america (never mind South America), which actually is probably a good out with regards to the situation of the charter as to why the league isn't supposed to get involved, because bad feelings about US interventionism, because DC Earth including Earth 16 certainly appears to heave close to Real World relations, for example Bialya and their neighbors disputes

2. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

The point is that, if there were no supers involved, the sheer scale of this conflict would still be beyond the purview of municipal law enforcement/the criminal justice system, so, yeah, the concept of "crime" no longer applies, until someone breaks international laws which actually apply at the same scale.
    As a dedicated crime fighting unit, the Team is already discharged of their duties, and could kick it up the chain whenever they felt like it. OL isn't 'bailing' so much as 'indulging' the others by doing even this amount of diplomacy.

Chaoswind, Ardy, DrThoth and 6 others like this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If this happened in the Renegade timeline, how would it go down? On one hand, Grayven would love it if humanity made itself physically superior. On the other, he might prefer it if he has more intel in that area and might set up some deniable assets to assist the natives and have more of a say in what happens.

Cuchulin, Ardy, DrThoth and 5 others like this.
  4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Indulging others, sure but he's also indulging himself. Paul wants to do this too. He likes helping peoples reach compromises. After all, a rising tide lifts all boats and the tide is going to have to lift a long way before they're out of the Reach's reach. :oops:

Ngamer11, Cuchulin, DrThoth and 3 others like this.
  5. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I prefer the original, where (IIRC) Oz says that he's not a Republic serial villain.

Ardy likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I updated it. Oz was speaking in a different era.

7. Profipfreely

Profipfreely Verified Pun

Zoat, if he's floating, he's very clearly above them.

8. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Are we allowed to beat other posters to the ground with rolled up newspapers?

9. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Fire could probably do alright even against 100 Danner Enhanciles. Even if her fire has trouble flat out burning them, she could probably just use her flames to suck up all the oxygen and asphyxiate them.

And I have to admit, the justifications for not interfering in this update is kind of amusing to me. None of these kinds of political concerns stopped the team from stepping in when Queen Bee was using her ability to try to bloodlessly annex one of her neighbors.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin, Darko and 3 others like this.
  10. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Civil disobedience, I think.

Depressingly accurate.

11. Mr Zoat

As of now, yes.
    That was one nation attacking another.

12. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh it's not quite the same thing, Queen Bee was a known super villain who was suddenly buddy buddy with a leader who up until recently openly hated her and upon investigation was mind controlling him and, iirc, holding his daughter hostage to ease her conquest of a foreign nation

Whereas here it's citizens of the country in question, albeit superpowered ones, protesting against their government, making it a civil political issue and thereby outside of the League's purview

13. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Technically it's not an issue of 'if,' it should also be happening in the Renegade timeline as well (along, of course, with all the other Earth-16 SI timelines). I'd definitely be interested in how that goes, as well. IIRC, Black Manta is doing some work that's loosely related to assisting marginalized groups. Though the Brazilian government would probably try to stay far away from Renegade's radar, given his history in toppling governments (even if no one knows about his role in Darfur).

14. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

To quote the manual to the old 1986 game "Balance of Power" (a wonderful Cold War-era geopolitics simulation by the then soon-to-be-legendary Chris Crawford), "every nation in the world is blessed with its very own insurgency." In game terms, yes, this meant the primary opposition to the government, which, in some of them (mostly stable Western democracies) ended up being the Opposition/Minority party; for example, in game, the US's "insurgency" was listed as the Democratic Party, since the game came out when the GOP held power in the US. That said, in less stable areas, the in-game insurgency would be a group more commonly associated with the term, such as FARC, the Contras, the Mujehaddin, and (in West Germany) the Red Army Faction.

Even so, in the real world, just about every nation has its own semi-underground group of people who are opposed to the government and want to see it overthrown; many of them actually have multiple such groups, each with its own take on how things should be. I suspect that Zoat's meaning here was twelve cases of a civil war or what US law refers to as an "armed insurrection" against the government on the level of, say, The Troubles in Northern Ireland, where open acts of violence are commonplace, widespread, and openly endorsed as a means of action by the bulk of the anti-government forces, and said anti-government forces are powerful enough to pose an actual active threat to the stability of the government. By contrast (and I'm deliberately picking older examples here to avoid violating forum rules--but I'm pretty sure anyone can identify more recent examples that would qualify), the political violence in the US in the 60s and 70s being perpetrated by groups like the Weather Underground and the Symbionese Liberation Army would not be considered an active insurgency for these purposes, but rather criminal acts being committed for political purposes.

The lines between a terror campaign committed by an active insurgency and a series of terrorist attacks by a small group of thugs motivated by political goals are blurry, but they're an important distinction in this case.

15. Profipfreely

Profipfreely Verified Pun

I came out here for a good time and I'm feeling very attacked right now...
    entirely by the newspapers.

Ardy, moralrelativity, Aeess and 2 others like this.
  16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

You're thinking of either the fire magic Green Flame version or the post gene bomb turns into green flame that flies around version.

Zoat went with the "can breathe fire up to eight inches away from her face" version.

There's a reason Paul thought Tora was the more useful potential recruit of the two.

Bramble Thorn, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  17. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

She can fly and throw fire a longer distances now, she leveled up after Linda/Noriel aka Loriel got recruited and taught Paul the modified magics Loriel is using and learned after thousands of years of being one of the angels of creation with her specialty being fire.

Ngamer11, Bramble Thorn, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  18. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

When did that happen? 'Cause I don't remember reading that or where if it was implied somewhere, maybe? In fact, I can't remember the angel bitch sharing any specific knowledge of fire magic or something... and now that I think about it, I'm still salty that they let her take the 'Supergirl' title, even if Kara didn't want to be a superheroine. It just feels stolen.

19. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

so for you, no news would be good news? :D

20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

It came up shortly after the loriel episode, Paul visited fire and told her about Loriel and how she was cooperating with Atlantean magic researchers and how Paul figured the magiks loriel was using could apply to her aka Fire (Loriel is using magic to drastically enhance her new nature as a human soul "touched" by the angel of creation aligned to fire).

You would have to wait for Zoat or one of the regulars to give you the exact update as I am just a random internet dude with an above average memory that is too lazy and uninterested in life to put much effort into anything.

True Ninja and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Jungle Gym (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

18th March
    12:12 GMT -6

I sit in my chair in the dining room, staring pensively at the far wall. Sunset crosses my field of vision, her eyes splitting their time between her tablet and the sandwich cupboard. She makes it halfway there before noticing me, and three quarters before she processes my expression.

"Grayven?"

"Talk to me… About Harmony."

She blinks, looks me over, and then puts her tablet down on the sideboard and folds her arms across her chest.

"Did.. something go wrong?"

"It's going wrong. Not an emergency yet-."

"The Anti-Life fragment. You want to-." She shakes her head. "Grayven, that was a worst case scenario plan. Even if there is some way to channel Equestria's entire magic field into you, and even if you could survive that, I don’t know if it would do anything to the fragment. We don’t have things like that in Equestria."

I nod, not really focusing on her.

"Tell me about Harmony."

"It's…" She makes a vague circling motion with her right hand. "It's usually when I started tuning Celestia out."

"Oh. Um, in that case, how's the portal coming?"

"The terminus rerouting's all set and I've got it set up to open a year after I arrived. Keeping it open this time should be pretty easy." She looks away for a moment. "I.. do remember some of what she said. I…" She shrugs. "What do you..? Need to know?"

"What is it? Is it just a theology, or is there some underlying truth to it?"

Her eyes widen.

"Are you dying?"

I frown. "No, almost certainly not. Why?"

"'What is Harmony?' 'Is it real?' Those are dying pony questions, Grayven!"

"Heh." I manage a small smile and bow my head slightly. "No, not dying. It's possible that I'll go insane and become Darkseid's willing thrall, but it's unlikely that I'll die. So."

Sunset looks a combination of relieved and irritated, but masters herself, pulls out a chair and sits down on it.

"Harmony is something… How ponies live when they're completely virtuous. How Equestrian society would work… The 'utopian' version, rather than the real version we actually live in. But it's also… When ponies work together-. When ponies who know each other work together on something with their magic, they can do… More. Even if their special talents don’t directly relate to the thing they're doing, and even if they aren't directly working on the same thing."

"Interesting."

And not at all how it works on Apokolips. Apokoliptian New Gods serving the same master could buff one another, but only if their natures and that of their master were similar. A couple of basket-weaving New Gods working for DeSaad couldn't get any sort of boost from one another. If anything, they'd probably make worse baskets and then be made to fight to the death with them.

"And… If they'd known each other a long time, the effect was even more pronounced."

"If they were friends."

"I couldn't quantify friendship." She blinks, her gaze growing a little distant. "I mean, I suppose I could quantify it in terms of exactly how much their output was boosted… But it.. could just mean that they've learned to instinctively harmonise their magic when they work near each other. I'd have had to find ponies who'd worked together for years and still didn’t like each other in order to check, and I'd still have needed them to self-report."

"Is that why you didn't?"

She looks at me like I've said something a little dumb, then brightens up. "Hey guys, I'm Sunset Shimmer. I'm trying to study the effects of combining magics. Which of your co-workers don’t you like?"

"Are ponies too friendly for you to get any subjects?"

"Either that, or they just didn't want to admit it. And that was about the time Celestia told me to move on to something else." She snorts. "Just when I was getting somewhere. Like always."

"I'd have thought that she would have wanted you to study Harmony."

"She got the impression that I was going to study it by learning to be more 'harmonious' myself. Ah…" She looks at me awkwardly, then looks away again.

"What?"

"Thanks. For… Y'know, everything. Taking me in. Setting up my lab. Stuff like that."

I slide my chair back, stand and walk around the table to her. Then I bend down and spread my arms out.

"Hug?"

She furtively looks around, then leans towards me and puts her arms around my chest.

Aw.

Then she pulls back and waves her right index finger at me.

"This didn't happen."

I nod. "Of course."

I rise to my feet and walk back around the table to my seat. "So. Harmony?"

"Like I said, Celestia told me to stop studying it. I guess… Over a sufficiently large area, if everyone synchronised their magic… But I don't know whether it's additive or multiplicative. And there are plenty of tail hole ponies so there's no way that everyone's contributing."

I regard her levelly for a-.

"Yes, I know I was one of them. I've got some ponies I… Need to… Need to be polite to. When I get back. It's just… Not having to deal with Celestia's horse apples all the time, I'm a lot less… Tense."

"You don't have to go-."

"No! No, I… I know you said I should just.. cut her out, but she was a huge part of my life and I… Want to-. I want her to see what I've done and just-! Admit she was wrong. That she didn't.. know? Ugh."

"I hope that it provides you with the catharsis you're looking for."

"Thanks." She thinks for a moment. "Harmony… There might be a way to focus it and purge the Anti-Life fragment, but… I don't think anypony in Equestria is going to be able to do it for you."

"No?"

"I tried studying it, remember? There wasn't anything written down that was any use, and Equestrian thaumaturgy is far less advanced than what Atlantis has."

"You don't think Celestia might have some sort of friendship-powered superweapon hidden away somewhere?"

"I hope not."

"Oh? Why's that?"

"Because I'd have wanted to study it. If a weapon like that existed and I'd seen it, that would mean that she'd been on to something with her whole 'friendship'.. thing."

"Yes, which-."

"And she'd have known that and still chose not to show me anyway. If I knew there was something like that laying around I'd have made friends just so I could study it. If that actually happened then after I ascend then I'm going to buck her in the face twice."

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  22. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I hope she learns that friendship truly is magic.

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Nawwww.... so sweet. *squee*

24. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

In her home land and many Shounen manga at least.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Prepare to be disappointed.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, that isn't an trigger for "Oh my god, are you dying?" or anything...:D

Definitely giving off a 'condition terminal' vibe there, Grayven... You need to learn not to worry people.

Well, she's a smart one. Maybe she can work out some way to do it...

Heh, not the best student.

Heheheheh... Oh, you guys are just going to love the trip back. I wonder if Twilight Sparkle's been sent to Ponyville yet?

Come on, Grayven, you're flashing all the 'imminent death' flags here. I thought you were genre-savvy...

That is almost certainly the definition of 'a fate worse than death'...

The power of Friendship!

I suspect the latter part is mostly on Desaad, though... The bastard probably expects a healthy amount of one-upmanship amongst his minions.

And that would bias results because, guess what, people lie.

I doubt she would have gotten many responses, other than "What the hay?"

And of course, she couldn't have had some secret plan for you, oh no. Clearly she was just being a royal plot-head.

I think she just realised something about her life here...

Ha! Grayven's a good dad. Or father figure/mentor, in this case.

The power of love...

She has a reputation as a hard-ass to maintain. One even Donkeys would say "Girl, ease up." to.

Or a handful of randomly chosen Ponies who discover their synergy through Adventure!

Good to see she realises how bad she was back then.

I just know it'll leave her feeling burnt-out and empty instead. She's changed in the last year.

I seriously hope the Mane Six have assembled, just to see her reaction when she hears about it...

Dammit, trying to hold back laughter...x3

And you're wondering how you'd feel when you realised you were wrong. It's not a feeling you think you'd like...

Ah, there's the Sunset Shimmer we know and love.

Anticipation for the next episode building fast... We just have to get through the Second Children of Dawn Uprising first.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

While Sunset may be extremely biased against her mentor, Celestia, to the point where she does some extremely stupid things, you have to admit that those secret tests of character can sometimes be extremely stupid, especially as some people will never pass them even if they have the qualifications, but may lack the necessary knowledge that they are being tested so won't perform in their best.

28. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Why do you think it took a thousand years for Celestia to find someone who was:
    1. Naturally strong at pony magic
    2. Willing to study like an obsessive maniac for years to develop that natural talent into genuine prodigy status, AND
    3. Willing to set aside all those years of effort because of a whimsical demand by her mentor to throw a party in a backwater nowhere town just for funsies, and throw enough effort into it that she'd bond with a half dozen other ponies along the way
    Celestia was trying to thread an extremely narrow needle to put together the conditions needed to restore the Elements, and only managed it through luck and arguably destiny. The fact that Sunset met two out of the three criteria was just bad luck for her, and if she hadn't f-ed off to another universe then Celestia would have probably had a whole lot of apologies to hand her once Twilight got her accessory.

29. Mr Zoat

Except that's all wrong, because Twilight never had to use her own magic to trigger the Elements of Harmony. She just had to realise the intrinsic virtues of five other individuals which happened to match those of the Elements. Studying magic only would have mattered if that related to harmony, and given that neither Sunset or Twilight really knew anything about it we may reasonably conclude that it didn't.

30. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

IIRC in most fics ponies use the term "plot hole" as plot is the term for pony butt.
    Well, that's kind of the point. Who you are in the dark, matters regarding Harmony and it's related stuff.

I predict much shenanigans, as the anti-life is one of the few things that would scare the shit out of Celestia.