1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

2. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Which suddenly explodes!

3. Mr Zoat

I hate everything about this post, including the font and text size.

4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Did Luna get her Orange sigil? It seemed like she was about to... but then no indication that she did.

DrThoth, Ardy, david and 2 others like this.
  5. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

I don't know, the concern for Grayven's fireplace was somewhat endearing. Although I don't remember him building or buying a new house recently, so I'm not sure what that part was about, but presumably it has a lot of statuary (unless the graven stuff was just carved stone walls?).

Travisplo, Oglymogly, DrThoth and 4 others like this.
  6. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I'm honestly a little concerned about exactly how pissed Luna is going to have to be to earn this last sigil because she literally just tried to stab Grayven and still wasn't mad enough.

Razorfloss, Citizen and DrThoth like this.
  7. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

Well I fixed the text a little bit as far as the words I was using stupid phone screwed it up again. I don't know what's wrong with the text font and size since it's the same one I used every time I write on the Forum and as far as I know I never change it I just use whatever's the default.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Okay, now this has to end with Luna going through the mirror and messing with Grayven.

9. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Fixed that for you.

10. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

I'm more of a fan of this one. Also, this one.

dogbertcarroll likes this.
  11. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

Since we know sexual preferences r.e. species don't transfer past the mirror... Guys is Grayven a zoophile? Did we discover his kink? Ngl, that coming to the Justice League's attention would be completely hilarious.

Imagine Hal and co. use it as more proof to demonstrate to the Team that Grayven is evil, but keep cringing and stuttering because they're talking to kids, unable to even finish a sentence without trailing off into embarassed mumbling. Then Grayven just boom-tubes in like "IF LOVING THAT SWEET HORSE PUSSY IS A CRIME THEN LOCK ME UP"

12. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

13. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I could see the fun if Grayven finds out that there's a mysterious dark sorceress wandering around, asking questions about him... Mind you, she might be more interested in OL, seeing as they apparently share abilities to manipulate the Moon...

I'm unsure if Stars in My Pocket... might be relevant, but it would be fun if it was... (Luna, stars in her mane/hair, etc., etc.)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Wild Transient likes this.
  14. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Remember the Harkness Test. If it can talk, it isn't bestiality.

15. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Already came up, new gods have non standard attraction by default and are attracted more on personality, aptitude and soul than on a basis of physical appearance. They can also get pregnant anything that can be impregnated on the basis of their arcane might same as standard gods and to a lesser strength humans.

I believe it's also a known point in the paragon time-line thanks to art fuck boy (can't remember his name), also Paul remembered one of his alternates fucking nightmare moon and wrote it in his report and got teased by plastic man about it.

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I think Luna took control of Celestias sun when she brought eternal night.
    Celestia did that with the moon when she locked up her sister and made it work.
    Though magic bullshit does sound better.

Zoat i have several questions about Old Gods in your fic.
    Prepare yourself this is going to be a lot.

If an Old God has more that one domain such as Mars who is a god of war and agriculture, would it be possible for him to not be able to influence one aspect of his domain on the same level as the other?
    For example if he is worshipped more for his war domain then would he find it difficult to use his agriculture domain powers?

Would an Old God find it more difficult to influence a certain area, such as another continent where someone may have never heard of them, on the same level as he does whatever area they are most worshipped in?
    Would this be because they are unused to manipulating the local magical/mana fields/energies, or because they have no worshippers in the area, or because the local gods have more experience manipulating the local energies, have more worshippers etc.?

Can an Old God lose their Domain if people stop worshipping them for that domain?
    Can they gain a new domain if people subscribe said new domain to them and worship them for it?
    If an Old God does not have a certain Domain as part of their portfolio, but people worship them for it could they use said worship to make it easier for them to use magic and powers that would make it seem like they do?
    Such as Hades being considered the god of wealth because people thought his kingdom was under the ground and thus he had access to precious metals and gems.
    Would this mean that Hades could add the domain of wealth to his portfolio because people thought he already had it, or would it mean he would be able to use his powers to locate and manipulate these precious metals and gems because people thought he could, thereby making it easier for him to influence the material universe, but not to the same level as a god who actually possess the domain of wealth or... gem/metal finding/manipulating?

Can Old Gods learn to be a god of something else even if they already have a domain?
    I seem to remember Vulcan telling Paul and Donna that he and Heph can't learn to be tech gods but they have tried, but would they be able to learn to become something more closely related to their domain?
    For example could a volcano or fire or metal god learn to forge things until he gets the domain of divine forging instead of just being a god that knows how to forge things but without being a god of the forge?

DrThoth likes this.
  17. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

The question of whether someone "can" do something can be taken in one of two ways. "Can" as in does it break some sort of physical law of the universe that completely and absolutely positively cannot be done. "Can" as in whether in practice someone will fail at what they try.

Most stuff with magic and divinity seems to to me to fall more int he second category. Rather than demanding absolute answers, it's probably more prudent to say "These guys tried and failed and didn't even get close. That doesn't mean everyone will automatically fail, but it doesn't portend well for success either."

Bramble Thorn and Darko like this.
  18. Ace Dreamer

You might want to consider the practice of 'god making', which is the manipulation of societies and their practices of worship, so as to create new gods or change existing ones. The Godmakers, a Frank Herbert novel, played with these ideas (as did other of his novels), as did The Primal Order, from Wizards of the Coast (in their pre-D&D owning days).

Public speaking, social engineering - want to build a god from scratch, and, maybe choose who gets to be their High Priest(ess)? Hint: smart people will make sure it isn't them. :)

Might make you wonder if the New Gods need to keep an eye out for 'god makers'. And, whether New Gods go around and break the windows of atheists, on Sunday. :)

Bramble Thorn, DrThoth and Darko like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Hey, she passes the Jack Harkness test.
    Yes, but Grayven was slightly distracted.

20. Mr Zoat

Do you mean Canis Minor?
    He didn't remember fucking Nightmare Moon. He remembered recruiting Nightmare Moon.
    No. How a god is worshipped makes little difference to its nature. However, if people keep asking for help with war and not with agriculture then most of his impact will be in the field of war and not agriculture.
    If no one asks, the god isn't going to do anything.
    No. It would take a massive feat of magic to alter a god's nature once it has come fully into its powers.
    No.
    Only by radical thaumatic chirurgy.
    No.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  21. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Then about what was Plasticman teasing him for?

Travisplo and Darko like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably wanted to tease him about being a fanboy or something like that.
    That or just surprise him.

Ace Dreamers suggestion about making a god out of pure belief could work in the comics, but i'm not so sure it would work in this story. The gods in this story are more their own people in a way and aren't as easily influenced by the thoughts of mortals like in Gaimans work.

Wild Transient and DrThoth like this.
  23. Mr Zoat

The giant pony hallucination.
    You could probably rig things if you were creating an entirely new god. It's re-engineering an existing one that's effectively impossible.

Ngamer11, Doccer, erebus1994 and 8 others like this.
  24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

CRUELLY

"Mother of Munchausen."

"Slim Shady."

"Puddin Tame. Ask me again and I'll tell you the same."

"King Arthur of Camelot."
    "What is your quest?"
    "To find the holy grail."

I prefer this one.

I think you're trying a little too hard to deny the unabashedly-confessed fact that Zoat is indeed a brony.

25. Ace Dreamer

I liked "Awn the Blink", in the "Books of Magic"... An anti-repairman. Maybe there's a need for more tech gods? Maybe Grayven could consider adding (a portfolio of) "Transhuman Tech", on the basis of Conquering the obstacles in the way of human advancement?

Darko likes this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

New Gods can only be the gods of one domain instead of more like Old Gods in this story so the renegade can't add tech to his domain but he could stretch his domain a bit. However i doubt he could accomplish this.

Still a god of tech could potentially arise.
    I wonder if Zoat isn't so against the n52 if he would have included the Metal in his story.
    For those of you who don't know what this is, it is a new elemental parliament that arose in the n52 Swamp Thing comics that embodies machines and computers.
    Helping the parliament settle in and somehow get their help and stop them from doing some of the crazy shit they did in the comics seems right around Pauls alley.

There is a story on SB called Assimilation by Satire Swift that has the Metal in it, interesting story that i highly recommend.

Cuchulin likes this.
  27. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I don't think that's strictly established. It may just be easier to develop one's metaphysique if you're consistently exercising a particular aspect of it.

I can certainly see there being the relevant metaphysical impetus given Paragon's push for recognition of AI personhood and the presence of the Life Entity on Earth. I don't think it would play out the way it did in the comics, by any stretch, though.

Darko likes this.
  28. Ace Dreamer

I'm really not a fan of n52, and will admit to have drifted away from DC&Marvel, etc., the last decade or so. The Green was workable, as an elemental mystical realm, the Red I was more dubious about (arguably it should pre-date the Green), the Grey was (I think) fungi, which I can just about see, but...

The Metal is really dubious, as without oxygen there's naturally iron and nickel all over the place (universe), and gold, silver and copper has been around humans for quite a few millennia. Tech is, if anything, moving away from metal, towards materials with useful nano-structure, providing required properties, like silicon and carbon, neither of which are metals. In a lot of cases the structure and flow of information is what makes the tech work. Metal? That's the clothes the tech (currently) wears. The Flow (electrons, photons, something more esoteric) would arguably be a better name.

Sorry, got a bit carried away, there. :)

Osserumb, Vorian, Darko and 3 others like this.
  29. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Silicon and (arguably) carbon are metalloids, at least! And some allotropes of carbon are even semimetals!

30. Ace Dreamer

Astronomers call everything but hydrogen and helium 'metals'. The Red includes things with no (red) blood - it seemed to be based on non-plant=animal=blood=red (excluding fungi), what you might call the 'common understanding'. Like most terms, 'metal', when you look at it closely enough, is fuzzy around the edges.