1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Probably an accurate reflection of Twilight Sparkle's brain at that moment.

2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

True, Lathander is the greatest god who is not Apollon.

Although for all that the Sun God is amazing, I'd rather follow a craftsman who is better than the gods. One who could craft something better than the Sun and Moon.

3. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

"Sorry about being so hung up on this, but I have had a NUMBER of emotional breakdowns over the years and the immortal sun princess who mostly raised me, employed me, helped me get most of my friends, gave me spike as an egg, etc and so forth... she is a bit of an anchor for me."

"... Yeah, I can see that."

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    [​IMG]

Seems legit.

5. Railhazar

Railhazar I trust you know where the happy button is?

And here comes the massive weakness in ponykind collective psyche.

Celestia is considered by her little ponies both as an all knowing, all powerfull GOD-queen and their MOTHER.

Therefore, she CAN NOT be wrong !

She is the cornerstone of their whole universe. Without Celestia the sun WILL litteraly not rise.

Doubting Celestia is as alien as thinking that the sun may one day not rise.

However it was proven and established that Celestia, i mean the actual pony, in spite of all her power, wisdom and
    good intention has made mistakes. She is responsible for many faillure, she can be defeated and she is far from being perfect.

In my opinion, it is unfair for every parties involves in this matter.

For Celestia because she has to shoulder those expectations and the responsabilities dumped on her by her subjects.

For all the little ponies because they have allowed themself to become overreliant on one allmighty parental figure.

Perhaps, it is the reason why she lets the Mane 6 handle all those crisis. She is trying to gently teach her people that
    they could do thing by themself. That they don't truly need her anymore. To grown up.

Eld_Tiger, Ngamer11, Xjalnoir and 8 others like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Eh. She's had a thousand years to fix it. She could have trained up a squad of unicorns to handle the sun, and created a parliament to run the country. If she decides not to, that's on her.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  7. Railhazar

Railhazar I trust you know where the happy button is?

True.

It's simply prove even further that she is as faillable as any other.

Lupercal and Darko like this.
  8. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Or she and her sister just don't give a fuck and decide to retire, forcing someone who isn't in any way prepared for the burdens of leadership to take up that mantle.

Which I think Zoat is disregarding, even if a retiring Luna is just the opportunity Grayven needs to convince her to move in with him.

Lupercal and Darko like this.
  9. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

you know, tha-

[​IMG]
    You beat me to it. :p

10. Mr Zoat

When that happens, Celestia and Luna are in very different places.

Celestia's had a thousand years of ruling over Equestria and is so done with the place that she can barely wait until Twilight ascends to get out of the door.

Luna has returned and made no impact on Equestrian society at all. She has no real role and everypony thinks she eats children. She wants to leave because at least that way she'd be starting from nothing, which would be an improvement.

With Grayven around she may well find a role and not want to retire.

11. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Are you kidding me with this. Everything Albus did was because of the prophecy. Harry had to be hidden? Because the prophecy showed signs of being true once Voldy attacked the Potters at the end of whichever month it was, and he needed the blood protection charm to subsist. Why did he hire Trlawney? To keep her safe because her prophecy turned out to be true. He also always suspected hocruxes from the start because if the prophecy was true, that meant Voldemort had some form of immortality to allow him to survive beyond death. Even then, prophecy was a mostly accepted discipline, besides McGonagal, which seemed more a humorous addition than a serious attempt at world-building.

And again, you keep trying to invalidate the example instead of actually addressing my points, but you don’t even do that properly.

Except, whenever someone talks about doping, the context is always sports. It’s a very reasonable assumption. And ‘getting jacked’ is the literal definition of steroids. Even if it is done in the context of showing off, there is still a significant aspect of effort and competitiveness inherent in the act.

If it is done ‘for its own sake’ as you say, or getting a more attractive body, I would say that it would be perfectly viable, except for the shiton of health hazards, including but not limited to, drug dependence, impotence, poor eyesight, anxiety, heart problems, metabolism problems, hair loss, etc.

And again, you’re only trying to (faultily) combat the example and not the point I was trying to make. Also, as Lord Ernest says,

12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

What example? I was using an example to attempt to demonstrate why there are incorrect ways of obtaining certain things and that was the most relevant human equivalent I could think of (due to the lack of any magical transformations that I'm aware of IRL)

I was attempting to use an example to combat the point that in terms of achieving a new form/powerup any means is fair game.

As for the point surrounding the relation to sports, I had considered that and decided not to clarify further. I was assuming that not talking about sports would be enough to give the idea that I wasn't talking about sports.

I should have clarified that further my bad.

Was the crux of my objection.

Although I'm at the point where waltersobchakeit Is applicable.
    (I am aware of its non-existence as a word)

In regards to lord Ernest
    Natural variation among populations occurs, some people are born bigger and stronger than others, some people are naturally small.
    Using money or studying how to make steroids doesn't make it any less cheaty.

Lupercal and david like this.
  13. RichardWhereat

You really don't know shit about Harry Potter, do you.. you seem to just know the fanon.

The only reason thr prophecy mattered at all was that Voldemort believed in it, and was acting using it as a guide. Therefore Voldemort had to be responded to, whether or not Albus believed in the prophecy. He was quite explicit in explaining this to Harry.

I refuse to use fanon to explain canon, especially where fanon is directly opposed to canon. Your arguments are worthless as they show a naked lack of Potterknowledge. Therefore I won't bother continuing this with you. Go reread the books. Nonetheless, this story isnt HP until at least the next in-story April 1st.

Zarus has an interesting story, but he doesn't appear to be Fëanáro Sintamotar.

Lupercal, Aeess and Ardy like this.
  14. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

I’m not quite sure why people are talking about cheating in what doesn’t seem to be a competition? Whether you become an Alicorn through studying/friendship/magic, unless you define the competition as life itself and becoming one gives you an unfair advantage, it’s a weird argument to be having that one method that doesn’t harm others is inherently fairer than another.

Lupercal, Sceptic, Vorian and 5 others like this.
  15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Solitaire isn't a competition, you can still cheat at it.

16. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

It’s not a competition maybe, but it is a game with rules, so breaking those rules equal cheating. Again, unless you consider life itself to be a game/competition, I’m failing to see how what Sunset’s doing is cheating.

17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I'm not sure how natural variations in populations are the same as becoming an Alicorn, but if we had the science to reliably edit genes why would it be cheating if I add a couple of inches to my height or change the color of my eyes/hair? Especially if I studied and developed the method to do it myself?

Yeah, I'm sorry, but if I study Superman enough and find out a method to replicate his powers on myself, you can call what I did cheating all you want, I still accomplished it and the powers are mine; to me that's as valid a method to become a Super individual as being born with it. At that point, if the universe didn't want me becoming a Kryptonian, it shouldn't have allowed it.

Vorian and BBJimmy like this.
  18. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Fair" isn't necessarily the issue; rather, it's that if enlightenment is a key part of becoming an alicorn, sidestepping that might end up with someone much weaker than if they had done things the orthodox way, or failing entirely because they left out an important step.

Lupercal, Darko and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I hear this talk about how using a more reliable, less complicated method of becoming an alicorn is cheating and it's giving me flashbacks to the Calvin & Hobbes strips where his dad would talk about how doing certain things certain ways built character.

20. RichardWhereat

Everything builds character. Sometimes, it's just a bad character.

21. Hidden Variable

Hidden Variable Know what you're doing yet?

Take the harry potter argument to PMs. You guys have spent long enough off topic.

22. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Then I for one would not give a shit.

This is more like a Witchblade story I read.

Aliens visited ancient Earth, and gave a princess one of their omnitools that respond to thought as a gift.

The omnitool, a ubiquitous gadget that to the aliens might as well have been a cell phone.

The omnitool responded to the princess's thoughts, including thoughts born from anger and fear, which meant she couldn't actually control it.

She frightened the other people, who then attacked her, which frightened her more, it ended with her civilization falling.

The aliens you see, don't have thoughts or emotions they can't control, the idea of an omnitool not only doing what you specifically want it to do was a completely alien concept to them.

Unicorn/Alicorn magic is like that alien omnitool, it responds to emotions, not just conscious decisions.

Sunset Shimmer didn't choose to become a demon in Equestria Girls.

Princess Luna didn't choose to become Nightmare Moon as in she made a pros and cons list and did the math and saw that becoming a living nightmare who frightens everyone and brings about eternal darkness had more advantages than not, ditto Stygian and the Pony of Darkness.

Sombra, well, he might have been enough of a dick that going all Darth Vader with Dark Magic was something he decided to do after making a pros and cons list.

This isn't about fairness, this is about qualifications.

This is the equivalent of a teen genius not being able to pass a driving test, so she builds her own vehicle to technically not need a driving license, as if that will be a comfort to the victims of her vehicular manslaughter.

Sunset figured out a clever way to do something very stupid.

This isn't Hermione figuring out how to make muggles into wizards, this is like someone who wants to be a Jedi inventing a process to gain Force powers, as if someone with no training whatsoever to avoid gaining glowing eyes of doom and a new habit of torching nuns and orphans with force lightning, gaining Force powers without proper training isn't a bad idea. Unless the goal is orphan and nun BBQ.

If Gravy makes a New God out of a nun tending to the sick in a third world country, she isn't in danger of becoming the New God of Eating People While They are Still Alive to Feel It after one bad day.

An Alicorn is however one bad day away from trying to bring Eternal Night So They Can Laugh Maniacally As All Fall To Despair And Die.

The enlightenment component of alicornization is a good thing because it makes it less likely that an alicorn is susceptible to one bad day.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  23. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

This was all before I ever found your story. This is the first I am hearing why you haven't updated ur story there. If you don't mind can you tell me what happened? Broadstrokes? If not oh well I am just curious.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I'll answer that in PM to hopefully avoid cluttering up this thread.

Doccer and Sceptic like this.
  25. RichardWhereat

Did you not read how that conversation is already ended without your post? Hours before you even posted?

Gantradies likes this.
  26. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Well, if breaking rules count as cheating, than Sunset is kinda breaking a few. For one, she has very little actual motivation for trying to become an alicorn, she's demonstrated no real interest in wanting to actually do anything with the status and power once she gets it, she just wants to satisfy her own ego. Seeking power simply for the sake of having it... well, I can't think of a story where that's ended well. But it tends to result in the person, having achieved their goal of immense power proceeding to use it to acquire even more power. And if you want to know where that kind of path leads, this fic already has a pretty good example: his name is Larfleeze.

27. rman916

rman916 He Who Reads The FAQ

Just to inform you, but this is answered on the first page.

I’ve also come to the realization that the reason the FAQ isn’t referred, at least some of the time, is for people jumping back to the story after years or for the first time, there isn’t one in the story only thread.

Mr Zoat that might help with the issue? I know that’s a pet peeve of yours.

Jormuungaand and DrThoth like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Warlantern 40,000
    Mr Zoat

0 086 936.M41
    Or thereabouts
    Probably

I wince as the ork kroozer's magazines finally detonate, visibly blasting the lower part of the hull away from the more heavily armoured prow and… Um. Top? Then I wince again as the construct orks I had onboard return to the ring and I'm forced to feel their thoughts and feelings… I suppose if there were any species able to cope well with constructhood it would be the orks. They want nothing more than combat and expect to be reincarnated as orks after their deaths. In a way, I've just arranged things so that neither Mork nor Gork need to trouble themselves with arranging matters.

At this distance the size of the thing looks almost reasonable. For goodness sake, I boarded that bloody thing and I know that it's colossal. The little models Battlefleet Gothic use really make you underestimate it. Though far from the biggest ship in the Grim Dark Present, it's still four and a half kilometres long and home to hundreds of thousands of orkoids. I mean, I've seen bigger, and I'm very glad that I didn't get a closer look at any of those monsters I saw when I appeared back in the Sol system, but there's something about hundreds of bellowing lunatics firing at you with automatic scatterguns that makes you appreciate the scale of these things.

Or when their primary armament tries to aim at the little orange blip and you realise as one flies past that the shells they're firing at you are taller than you are.

Yeah. But-

Up and to my right the last Ork escort explodes and the squadron of Manta bombers that finished it off begin their return flight to their command ship.

-now that's dealt with, I can calm down to something approaching sane levels and make first contact with the least mental major faction in the setting. I gave the matter some considerable thought after I legged it away from 'Terra' with my non-warp based FTL ring, and appealing as the idea of finding an isolated, human-inhabited world somewhere safe is… It's the forty first fucking millennium! Where am I going to find somewhere safe?! I mean reliably safe, in a universe where daemons can enter some poor bastard's mind from the warp because he didn't realise he was a psyker, or there might be a sleeping Necron tomb under the ground ready to eradicate all life above, or a Hive Fleet might be about to turn inwards towards the Milky Way Galaxy from any part of intergalactic space.

So. Yeah. I try not to look threatening as I accelerate towards what looks like an airlock in the middle of the front half of the dull green Tau ship. And I try not to worry about the ion cannons which are almost certainly tracking me and are likely to be a little more accurate than the orks' gunnery. The Mantas ahead of me return to their launch bays located on either side of the third quarter of the ship. Though less massive, narrower and flatter than the ork Kroozer it's actually a fair bit longer. Which strikes me as odd; I seem to remember Tau ships having the same sort of wing shape as their tanks. Maybe… No, they're definitely using Tau transponders, but… Maybe they're auxiliaries? Armed merchantmen? Tau-aligned aliens? Not sure. I can also see the damage its hull has taken; though their damage control is better than that of the orks I can see dozens of hull breaches as well at the remains of ork boarding torpedoes where they struck the rear quarter of the ship from below.

I see a couple of smaller Tau ships turn and… Huh, they're not small-small, but in a setting where attack craft are jumbo jet size they're practically tiny. A single main gun plus wing-mounted turret weapons… Less well armed than the Manta, so I'm going to guess that those are interceptors.

I should probably contact the ship.

Ring, do it.

Ave, Lanterna.

No, see, that would be fine if I was joining the Imperium, but for the Tau-.

"This is the T'olku Lar'shi Vhel-." The speaker pauses. "Vhel'ua. Identify yourself."

I'd say the voice was female, but I don't know whether 'high pitch = woman' holds true for Tau. How.. best to begin?

"You're welcome."

Another pause. "For.. what?"

"I just destroyed the cruiser that was battering you. Naturally, your first response was to thank me. I have decided to be magnanimous. You're welcome."

"Ah-?"

"Who are you?"

"I am Kor'Ui Vey'ue. And.. I.. apologise for my lack of courtesy. Our diplomats are… Not available at present."

"I quite understand. It's hard to switch from battle command to negotiation. Look, I'd like to come on board. Could those fighters you're sending my way escort me to somewhere suitable?"

"For what reason?"

"I wish to request political asylum, with a view to studying Tau philosophy and eventually becoming a citizen of the Tau Empire. As you can see… I can make myself quite useful. Also… I've been awake for thirteen days straight." I think. "I need sleep."

"I will not allow you to board this ship until you tell me who and what you are."

"Fair enough. I'm a human, and I'm currently flying through space using an alien device known as a power ring."

"You're hu-? Stand by."

"Look, I know my whole species went insane some time in the last thirty nine thousand years. I was born in M Two, I wash my hands with the whole lot of them. I still remember when we looked forward to meeting other intelligent species."

"You.. do..?" A new voice, slightly deeper.

"Yeah. Want to guess what the first alien species we met was?"

"I do not know."

"Orks. And then daemons, because those come with the warp drives. Suffice to say that between the two of them they rather put us off." Those.. fighters are getting a bit close… "Look: if you're not going to let me on board just say so. I'll go somewhere else where the people are less ungrateful."

"No." Kor'Ui Vey'ue again. "I will authorise this." On the side of the ship I see a circle of light flicker around the airlock while the lights further away go out. "Please proceed to the airlock. I will send a party to meet you."

"Thank you. I look forward to meeting you in person." Ring, transition.

The universe… Is far enough away that it doesn't actually appear to move, other than the fact that a chunk of it is now obscured by a wall of ship hull. But the airlock is sized for a single person and-. Ah! A button! And even better, it isn't made of fucking skulls!

Ring, open it up.

Compliance.

The ring picks up a series of warning radio pings, then there's a slight vibration as the outer door unlocks and swings inwards and upwards. I transition inwards again and send the signal to close the outer door. Still no skulls! Curved edges, which is a little strange, but otherwise it looks pretty much like a science fiction airlock should, damn it!

I feel the vibration as the airlock seals behind me, and hear a very quiet noise as air begins to enter the compartment. Good show. Ring, show me what's on the far side of the inner door.

Compliance.

A small team of soldiers in dull green armour move into position around the airlock. Fire-caste marines with.. what are probably pulse weapons of some kind. Fully sealed armour, I note. Well done them. Their squad leaders motions with her hand and the guns are lowered slightly. Another tau, this one more slightly built and not wearing armour, hurries down the corridor. A diplomat?

Any threats I can't see?

Yes.

Oh dear.

The inner airlock opens inwards and I walk inwards towards my hosts, a strained smile upon my face.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  29. Mr Zoat

Sorry, that first site should be SB and not SV.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  30. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Change "find" to "fine".