1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

The vizier was actually the right hand man of the king. His post would be best described as ‘prime minister’. The queen in chess is also called vizier in some middle eastern languages, I forget which.

2. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Pretty sure he is responsible for Dox giving a nutcase like Khan a power ring.

I’m actually rather curious about what other maniacs Dox decided to equip with the Ultimate Tool then release to their own initiative in the name of trial and error experimentation.

3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

IIRC, 'vizier' or equivalent was the original name for that piece, but it got changed to 'queen' in (I think) medieval Europe because most variants of feudalism in Europe didn't have a close-enough equivalent to a vizier. Also why the 'chariot' pieces became 'rooks/castles,' and the 'elephants' became 'bishops.'

Vorian, WhiteNoise and Darko like this.
  4. Idkusername

What? How? If anything, Dox is responsible for Paul, since Paul is his subordinate. Paul is only responsible if he was supposed to be involved in further recruitment (he wasn’t), and if he saw a flaw in the plan that he didn’t point out (there was no flaw), or Dox goes acts the rules and principles of the Corps and his position (he didn’t).

I would be able to confirm that, since shogi, chess, and the like originate from the Middle Eastern ‘Shatranj’, which itself originated from India. Except the British popularised their own version of it, replacing the old, similar to what happened with ‘0’ and the decimal system.

The more you know!

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

He's responsible for Dox being in a position to give out rings, but he actually agrees with the idea that it's worth trying different types of people out to see what works. He'd just rather have had a heads up.

6. Idkusername

I’m pretty sure that what you mean by responsible in this context is ‘cause’ and what I mean is ‘charged/obligated to take action in the best of interest of something or be culpable for his own or his charge’s mistakes’ sense.

WhiteNoise likes this.
  7. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I'm sure they're out there, but I can't think of any shapeshifting species in DC besides the Martians and the Durlans. What I know of the Durlans is mostly from Legion of Superheroes, but they don't seem like they'd be especially exploitable trading partners.

8. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Both this and keeping fake superheroes going for like half a century are covered by the same SOD.

In fact it might explain why the Boys are able to get powers that don't suck while the main company is still using the roulette approach. That is being the Boys got a formula based on al those fetuses experiments. Unfortunately that formula makes you crazy as seen with the Boys later actions.

As in, there is literally decades of human experiments to make stable and useful powers possible.

The Boys is not only a horrible setting made by someone with a hatebonner for superheroes, is not even consistent or make sence.

You can't make a Megacorp capable of lying and manipulating the world since WWII be so careless and so easily to fall unless you clearly explain why their business model is no longer working.

Take Kodak as an example, their business model was not longer working but they ignored that and as a result they died.

If in half a century they didn't have the biggest cover up possible I will eat my non existent hat.

Of course you can claim that eventually something happened that was too big to cover up but that doesn't not work with the Author making the fake superheroes so useless.

9. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

As a reminder for those who missed Grayven's version of this issue, here is the advisor who provided Orin with his understanding of Venturian succession.

Ardy, Darko and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

She really advise him on this, or is this a joke?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  11. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Well, he may have gotten on the council, but at least they did not grant the rank of master.

12. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

This makes no sense. Why would they get rid of all the other successes? Or are you claiming they didn't and Homelander got special treatment for some reason?

Um yeah the system didn't work, and that's why it collapsed... I don't see what your'e trying to claim is going on.

It's completely possible for there to be inefficiencies and budget issues inside a successful mega corp. The individual projects and departments are going to be doing to each other what the corp as a whole is doing to the rest of the world. The homelander project is competing with the PR department, the people in charge of buying senators, and the executive benefits package.

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  13. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Are we going to be done with Paul soon? Frankly he is an asshole and is no longer even an interesting asshole. Renegade is a thousand times more enjoyable.

14. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I think most feel it's the other way around.

Ardy and Darko like this.
  15. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

I mean.... Most are probably fine with both. They both have the intractable problem of every figure of authority around them being incompetent, and went about solving it different ways.

Ardy, BlueMangoAdea, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Either "with Aurania's senate" or "with the Auranian senate"

Apply directly to the forehead!

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Idkusername

Look,
    If you want to know, simply check the Table of Contents on the first page.

19. Ganurath

CITATION!
    Not only is that very article linked to describe her, but Orin addresses her by name to confirm the new information Grayven provided regarding Venturian succession.

Bramble Thorn, Xmaster3000 and Darko like this.
  20. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

I’d advise you to stop pretending.

Xmaster3000 and Cuchulin like this.
  21. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Paul probably pretends to be human because being openly inhuman affects social relationships with most humans in such a way that he finds sub-optimal. In which case, why would he stop pretending?

22. Ganurath

You also have a habit of being human. Are you pretending?

23. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

1: Fair
    2: Unfortunately no.

24. Threadmarks: Low Politics (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

9th April
    06:11 GMT -5

"…deadlock in the UN, Senator Knight has called for the US to pursue its own policy separate from other world governments."

Oh, that's a point.

I pause with my spoon part way from my porridge bowl to my mouth.

I didn't even consider talking to the probable next president of the United States of America. But America has a pretty strong iconoclastic bent at the best of times, and if they stop bothering with the Security Council there's no way that the others will keep at it.

No… No.

I take another spoonful of porridge as I ruminate.

I need to let human civilisation make these decisions for themselves. Even if they make a bad one, the consequences are unlikely to be catastrophic and it will be good experience for when they have to deal with more dangerous alien parties.

I…

I should talk to Cyprian about what King Orin was actually planning. I doubt that Orin will actually tell him, and him knowing that will hopefully take a good deal of bile out of the relationship. It did sound like something a well intentioned but surprisingly ignorant person might try, and I… Don't think it would make the population more likely to vote 'rejoin'. But it might make coming to sensible terms afterwards easier, and I think that trading with their neighbours would reduce tension-.

Except they don't need to trade with their neighbours. Given the distances and their history of self-sufficiency, there isn't really anything Venturia can get from anywhere else in Atlantis. Certainly nothing in terms of raw material or manufactured goods. King Orin would.. probably have been offering them access to the goods Poseidonis gets from the surface which Venturia can't-.

Venturia has islands. Venturia's defence is nominally being undertaken by an alien merchant prince. Those islands are easily big enough for one of his prefabricated trading posts to be landed there. Venturia is-. I suppose will be a micronation rather than a world power, and even if they do become a bit more interested in the rest of the universe after this they're not going to be interested in dominating surface nations. But it would remove King Orin's carrot.

Breakfast over, I clean my bowl, glass and spoon and float them back to their homes in the cupboards and drawer. Venturia is four hours ahead, so there shouldn't be any problem with me appearing. Fingers to

forehead

9th April
    10:13 GMT -1

and nod politely to the usher.

"Is the king available?"

"Certainly, sir. If you'll come this way?"

It's only a short walk to the room that serves as Venturia's cabinet office. Naturally, the room is shielded against as many forms of detection as they can defend against. I can't even see that there are people inside. Slightly unusually, it's underwater, because-.

"I hadn't thought about it before, but… The Venturian buildings with air pockets inside them. Is it just a matter of tradition or pride, or is it an overt reference to pre-sinking Atlantis?"

The usher waves his hand through the 'request attention' sensor.

"I hadn't really thought about it, sir."

"Because Teth Adom used to consider Queen Gamemnae a-"

There's a slight twitch, which makes me wish I could remember that comic in more detail. Naturally, I've read up on the woman's history as much as possible, but that doesn't tell me anything about the cultural significance she has in modern Atlantean society.

"-friend, and the other potential reference in having air-filled rooms is her effort to return Atlantis to the surface."

"I.. don't think it's that, sir."

There's a faint chime, and the usher regains his confidence. He pulls open the door and gestures towards the opening.

"In here, sir."

"Thank you."

Unlike the British cabinet where the Prime Minister sits in the middle of one of the long edges, Cyprian very definitely sits at the head of the table. I.. half-recognise some of the other members, though we haven't been formally introduced. Archmage Thalia was part of the team that came with me to Tillettit, and General Megarios was more than a little interested in the potential military uses of orange power rings. He probably wouldn't make a bad Lantern, but he's more… Dox's sort than mine. There's no philosophical conundrum to resolve, aside from maybe his background desire to conquer Aurania to prove a point.

I stop just before I reach the table and bow.

"Your majesty, honoured councillors."

"Illustres." Cyprian nods in acknowledgement. "I understand that King Orin will be sending a deputation to campaign here."

"He has expressed that desire. How familiar are you with how surface world elections are conducted?"

"We are descended from surface-dwelling Greeks. The idea of public consultation isn't wholly lost on us."

"Yes, but the Greeks usually had a fairly limited suffrage. I would encourage you to-." I frown. "Actually, the precise terms of the ballot are something you should probably discuss directly with King Orin."

Cyprian nods. "If you don't mind acting as a go-between, I'm happy to meet him whenever it's convenient to him. And while I'd rather my cousin wasn't in attendance, I won't insist upon it."

"Right. I should probably warn you that not only am I not his favourite person in the world right now, his… Actual plan for preserving Atlantean unity wasn't as confrontational as you were assuming it was."

"What makes you think that?"

"I live with Kaldur'ahm. We had a… Fairly robust exchange of views at dinner last night, and according to him, King Orin's plan was to apply diplomatic pressure on you until you peacefully accepted Ptra."

Cyprian looks mildly puzzled. "I would never have done that. Quite apart from anything else it would be completely against Queen Clea's wishes."

"I know that and you know that but apparently King Orin didn't know that. And with the military option firmly off the table I think it might be wise for the two of you to have a slightly more expansive discussion, because whatever the outcome of the vote you're going to have to live with one another afterwards."

Cyprian meets the eyes of a few of his ministers before nodding to me.

"It sounds as if that would be wise."

"In other news, the individual whom my Corps dispatched to guarantee your independence has arrived and is… In a way which is actually completely in keeping with my Corps' operating philosophy, expanding his mercantile interests to include Earth. Would you at all be interested in leasing one of your islands to him?"

I hold up my hands.

"To be completely clear, it's not at all conditional, you're not obliged to agree, but Poseidonis has become a lot richer as a result of trading with the surface and I thought that you might like the opportunity brought to your attention."

"It's worth investigating, I suppose. And it would be politic for me to meet with the Lantern in command anyway. How long will it take to arrange to speak with him?"

"Speaking with could be difficult. Being spoken to by him on the other hand is extremely easy."

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think it could be 'long edged table' rather than just 'long edged'

Though I'm not completely sure.

26. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Or perhaps "long edge", referring to the sides?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

28. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

I suspect it was intended to be

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, he came to a similar conclusion to Adam 'Captain Comet' Blake on the fact that separate nations could easily make their own arrangements with Manga khan? Remarkable.

And it's caught OL quite off-guard, it seems...

Ah, breakfast. A great time for casual thought on the oddest of things.

Unfortunately, Human governments are still in the 'these fellows in long underwear and capes seem to be on the ball, let's let them handle it.' phase...

I doubt Kaldur's comment's last night were said in confidence either, so you're clear on that front to share them.

And so we're getting the same set-up the Renegade made with his Venturia, about six months to a year later.

And let's be honest, this will make Aquaman want to yell at you... Does that make it a good plan?

I do hope you didn't bust in on a council meeting...

Ah, good. You had the sense to go through channels. This guy must be used to OL popping by now...

Or a case of practicality? Some things would be easier to do in air rather than water...

Oooh, not a good name to drop... Isn't Gamemnae one of Atlantis' great evils in their history?

Yeah, context, OL. She is not thought of fondly, methinks.

The tempo of politeness. No announcing his name?

Yeah, that might disqualify him I think. Personal obsessions tend to get in the way of using Orange rings in any reasonable capacity...

Though with what OL's about to drop, that may need to change...

Oof, that sarcasm. Thick enough to chew on.

Otherwise it might descend into a shouting match, and I doubt Orin wants that... Rather hard to get anything done, certainly.

And finally someone's actually explaining things...

In other words, 'hell no, that would never have worked.' Good to see people's estimations were correct.

Sounds like that's a tentative 'Good plan' from the council.

If nothing else, the taxes gained from fees and levies (despite Manga Khan's complaints about them) will fill Venturia's coffers nicely...

Hard to resist the lure of money. Especially for a city-state that's fairly independent of the Atlantean economy...

True enough. Let's hope he's had his meds recently, too.

And finally some progress gets made on both plots. By twining them together. I suppose that's one way to do it. This is going to vex Poseidonis quite a bit though. Aquaman isn't going to be happy, I bet...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, recorrected.