1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

No, the mistake was mine, I was under the impression the Eyes were magic, given their effects.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually we know from the comics that Assimilation doesn't effect the soul and is basically just making a copy of the person.

It's why Necron could bring back all of Larfleeze's assimilation victims.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat may have changed it so that the assimilation shown in go's ring do affect the soul.

4. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

That's a good point, but it actually only helps my case because that's even less like murder than assimilation is.

Darko likes this.
  5. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

I define murder as the loss of identity or loss of continuity of existence (disregarding sleep and the like), just as much as the physical death itself. Think of it this way. You die. Dr Frankenstein uses his pseudo-scientific knowledge to bring you back to life with your body wholly intact, but like Frankenstein's Monster, you don't have any memories of your past life, just like the monster didn't, despite clearly having an adult's brain (but not knowledge or mental state).

Is it still murder? Absolutely. In that case, is the soul really so integral to the definition of murder? The situation described above is pretty similar to what happened in the snippet, except it's the soul and body being carried over, instead of just the body.

Gantradies and Cuchulin like this.
  6. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Also the memories are carried over. Everything is carried over except motives. When Satanus pumped Mamon into the SI did he murder him?

7. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Attempted yes. He didn't SUCCEED, but he did attempt. Considering the way their world works, and the nature of what the soul trap actually WAS it was actually much more heinous. Destroy someone's body in this universe, they hit an afterlife, often with faculties intact, and go on.

As that was direct soul manipulation, had he succeeded completely Paul would've been more gone than most character deaths.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  8. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

I feel like he missed the obvious of trading in media. Koriand'r already liked Harvest Moon.

*Coughs in recurrent laryngeal nerve*

Cuchulin, WhiteNoise and Darko like this.
  9. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He may not know whether the average Tamaranean citizen would like Earth media.

Koriand'r is just one individual after all, so she isn't a perfect indicator on what your average Tamaranean would like.

10. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

Tangseid did something to brainwash the league, until we know what that is we can't be sure why WW has a thing for him, it could be unrelated or accidental for all we know, so speculation is pretty meaningless.

Prince Charon likes this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Less than 150 likes but people are still talking about it. I think that's a failcess. Or perhaps a Sucure.
    Intentional. When a couple of his early brainwashing subjects came onto him, he realised the unintended effect of making them respond to him favourably. When he finally got Diana he decided that if he was going to erase her anyway he might as well make her interested.

12. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Oh Richard, you are the master of understating problems.

Though, I guess when you deal with potential "world ending" disasters regularly, a few ships disappearing is almost a minor occurrence.

Cuchulin, Darko and Prince Charon like this.
  13. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

Hitting a 'Like' button is a considerably cheaper effort compared to actually posting a message?

So, I'd call it a 'resounding success'.

IMNAAHO.

14. Gilhelmi

Technically, assuming that (younger, non-human I forget her name, Ari?) is still on Earth. There are currently; Five Green, One Orange, One Blue (Alan Scott is a member of the Justice League IIRC) and Two Violet (sapphire) (Is Earth -14 Carol 'whatshername' still around trying to get the Zamoranian's to play nice?)

So that is 9 Lanterns by my count. Unless I am missing one of the new Green Lanterns that might pop-up from "DC Superhero Girls". I really would like to see OL explain some things about law enforcement to Jessica Cruz before she gets someone killed by being a complete pacifist. (I don't disagree with her completely, but she keeps saying "violence is never the answer" in stupid situations. Violence should be the final resort, when all else has failed. But it is occasionally the answer. /rant *sigh* I do like her as a character in general, she is a bit too....... hippy sometimes.)

15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

The eye being an alien artifact is from his 2000AD incarnation, in which it had symbiotically bonded to him like a Reach Scarab.

Zoat was inspired by the Wildstorm's (a DC imprint) Albion, although he didn't actually include that storyline. In Albion, the British government imprisoned all the supers and other wierdos from the comics and then unpersoned them, pretending like they had never existed like ala Men in Black. In a setting in which supers and other wierdos are in fact a worldwide phenomenon, that wouldn't make sense.

So ironically, Zoat's demon summoning baby eating goat fucker government was better to the native supers than the British government in Albion.

There's also a version of Tim Kelly in Rebellion's Vigilant, in which Cursitor Doom formed a superhero team including Kelly, Cat girl, Robot Archie, Steel Claw, and Tri-Man, but all of them but Doom died saving the world from demonic invasion. Kelly threw his eye into the demonic portal, the result was quite explosive....

Zoat didn't need to change it, because in the comics it's Nekron's Black Lanterns who normally have shit all to do with souls.

Deadman was still floating around as his corpse was driven by a black lantern ring.

Cyrus Gold's soul was in Hell while Solomon Grundy's corpse was being driven by a Black Lantern ring.

Black Lantern Spectre was an exception, not the rule.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  16. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I may be wrong, but, I thought there was an implication in earlier comics that it was alien? I'd not trust 2000AD's version of anything after what they did to Dan Dare, to 'bring him up to date'.

I still remember the fun of being given a (ancient, second-hand) Dan Dare annual, because, "You're into that science fiction stuff, aren't you?"... And, a copy of the "Eagle Book of Rockets and Space Travel" (1961 version).

As for 'Albion', yes, it was pretty, but I was less than happy about some parts of the story. I almost preferred the Marvel throw-away version of the UK heroes, in the Captain Britain stuff, where they just appeared to die...

I did like Mr Zoat's fight of the SI with the UK heroes...

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I was counting officially sanctioned Humans, mostly. Greens: Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, and John Stewart, plus the new girl, Savenlovich. (No Kyle yet, and Simon Baz or Jessica Cruz are a long way off, if at all.) OL for the Orange Lanterns.
    Alan was never an offical Green Lantern, and could probably qualify as Illustres of the Blue corps if it ever gets started, especially if Saint Walker never gets recruited. And Earth-16's Carol Ferris was never a formal Lantern, merely someone attuned to a Star Sapphire...
    As for off-worlders (including Earth -14 Carol), none of them are permanently on assignment to Earth. Arisia is visiting, Koriand'r is visiting, Ghia'ta is visiting... Lots of visiting space babes, really.
    (Way too many edits there, methinks. wow)

Jessica comes from the New 52 era mostly, part of the outcome of one of the later crossovers (Forever Evil or Wrath of the First Lantern?) I presume her SHG portrayal is a bit of a flanderisation... So unless someone writes an Omake of an OL in the DC Superhero Girls verse (in a mentor role perhaps?), we're unlikely to see her.

18. Gilhelmi

That would be a hilarious Omake. Seeing Paul forced to go back to High School would be interesting.

I admit, I have not kept up on the "New 52" era. I started to get burned out on DC's main series, the writing bounces all over the place. (even worse than my writing style)

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Keep in mind that is completely non-canon since they didn't own the rights to the character.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So instead of having just one teenage girl, Zatanna, attracted to him, he'd have at least dozens, possibly hundreds, attracted to him.

Even when people have owned the rights to a comic character they sometimes tended to ignore their Canon characteristics for their own interpretation.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat does Ghia'ta look more like her GL Animated series self rather than an average comic Zamaron?

Specifically does she look like this:

[​IMG]

Instead of this:

[​IMG]

Cuchulin likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Jessica might exist in this setting, but she'll never get a green power ring. The whole reason she got one in the comics is that her version of Volthoom wanted someone completely weak-willed so he could dominate them. While she eventually found her courage, she's still not exactly strong willed and the SI would insist on the Volthoom ring either being destroyed or at least handed over to a Maltusian group.
    Top one. She's half korugari.

23. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The Animated Jessica Cruz never encountered the Ring of Volthoom and was naturally chosen by a Green Lantern ring.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  24. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Comic Jessica on the other hand did encounter the ring of Volthoom and was chosen by it.

Prince Charon likes this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

This is an Animated universe though, not a Comic verse.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat has added things from the comic universe that never showed up in any sort of DC animation, including in the YJ show.

27. Threadmarks: Plutonian (part 9)
    Mr Zoat

12th April
    09:28 GMT

Koriand'r lowers her left hand, ring dimming as she shakes her head.

"I do not know where the ship went."

I nod, then look at Khan just in case he's got something helpful to say. Since I'm not a member of the Justice League I don't know quite how critical things are going in the Kremlin at the moment. I don't think that someone prone to fits of genuine rage -as opposed to the staged kind- would survive in the current atmosphere, so I think that we're going to get a reasonably measured response… At least in the short term. In the longer term… This was a major investment of financial and political capital. The heads that roll might do so from any height.

Khan hasn't noticed-.

"Lantern Khan?"

"Hm? Yes, one class three ClusterShip, seventeen executive level-. Yes, that's the one. The valuation is up to date?"

Jam.

"You see, it's rather clever: we make sure that anyone who could be due a payout is also on the ship. That way we minimise our exposure to piracy. Hah, 'bring your child to work year' was a masterstroke. And you have a backup of L-Ron's personality? I'm pretty sure I paid for it, but I want to make sure that it's ready to go."

"Did you just hang up on me? How dare you hang up on me! I want to speak to your manager!"

"Lantern Khan, if I could borrow you for a moment?"

"See if I use you people again. Yes, Illustres, how may I help at this tragic time?"

"Do you have any way of tracking the ship?"

"Yes, of course. L-Ron!"

He's… Looking around.

I'm actually feeling a little sad.

"I'm assuming that he was on the ship?"

"Yes, I-. Yes."

"Okay, does he have a locator beacon of some k-?"

"L-RON!"

Orange energy bursts out of him in a high-power scan wave, and I spot Lantern Savenlovich hurriedly throw up a shield as the orange light cascades through local space. Leonid's ship actually overcharges its shields in response to what the mostly reassembled tactical computer thinks is an attack.

I'm actually a little impressed with that. Not only was it powerful, I'm pretty sure that would have bypassed most forms of stealth and phasing. I was pretty sure that wasn't what had happened here, but it's nice to be certain.

Khan… His armour is just armour, so there's no body language to read. His gaseous form on the other hand is Brownianing with alarming ferocity and I.. don't know what that means. I don't know if he knows what that means. And then-.

A construct L-Ron appears besides him. His helmet swivels a hundred degrees right and he stares at it for a moment. Then it bursts.

"L-Ron doesn't get sick days or job-share. I'm going to find him so that I can dock his pay."

And he actually wants him back. There are ways to mislead my empathic sense, but using power rings requires the real thing.

"Alright then, both of you. How could the ships have vanished, given that we can't detect them?"

Koriand'r looks thoughtful. "Some form of faster than light travel that is not on our database, which leaves no traceable sign?"

"If it's not on a Maltusian database then we've got bigger problems than a missing ship. And unless there was something a lot more valuable on board than I think there was, they were wasting their time."

"Your reports mention that some people on Earth with great technical ability do not apply their skills wisely."

"Painfully true, but perfectly stealthy mass-teleportation is incredibly difficult, and the Justice League is perfectly capable of detecting the sort of massive power draw it would require. It could be that, but what's more-?"

"Magic." Khan's eyeholes are glowing orange. "A rare resource I wanted to exploit. Hard to detect with power rings."

"That's my first guess. There isn't much we can do about it until Doctor Mist arrives, but just in case they weren't as clever as they think they were…"

I take out a couple of rune stones and use construct tethers to move them around where the ClusterShip used to be.

"Now, it would be quite hard to actively cast this far from the Earth, but there have been some rather significant breakthroughs in bound spells recently, so with a little luck…"

No, nothing. Ah well. I pull the stones back.

"Lantern Khan, do you have a record of every trip your people made to and from the Earth?"

"Yes, but our security-. Mmrughmrppffah, would not be easy to breach. We've had incidents in the past, infiltrators and the like. L-Ron can-."

I float forward and pat him on his armoured shoulder. He really thinks about L-Ron in the same way as I think of my rings; not exactly separate from my own concept of me.

"Then the obvious potential source is the Russian ships. I'm sure that everyone involved underwent extensive vetting, but Russian magic is rubbish. It wouldn't be too hard for a sufficiently skilled person to sneak something in."

Would they have done this deliberately? Would they risk the security complement of the ship in an attempt to steal it? No. No. They might get away with salvaging ships that crashed in their territory, but they have to know that if they tried piracy then the Green Lantern Corps would not be on their side. They were already stealing a march on every other country on the planet; there wasn't any need for them to risk it.

The Light is a possibility, but… I'm not seeing the payoff. Khan was here to trade. If they wanted technology then buying it was the easiest way to get it. And we get enough alien visitors that any competent international conspiracy could get hold of parts… And the ClusterShip wasn't all that advanced by interstellar standards.

I've got a worrying feeling that this is going to be someone I've never heard of.

"Orange Lantern Illustres to Watchtower."

"Manhunter here. Go ahead."

"I'm not getting anything. If the Russians will have us, I'd like to take a look around their launch site in case something got onto their ships that wasn't supposed to be there."

"Doctor Mist, Hawkman and Batman are already on-site."

"And none of them are empaths."

"True. I will relay your request. Stand by."

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Think it could be 'who could'

'Then it'

STELLA!

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe it could be just 'I think' instead of 'as I think' ?

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  30. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Roll, I think.