1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

The big concern is what will they be doing while you wait? Is it something you can afford to allow them to do? Better to go in hard and prevent it.

And I doubt there's enough structure out here to support the creation of any kind of pattern. Unless they're hoping it happens to Pluto.

I mean, OL can accept the calculus of war, but there's only so far you can go...

Which would be a total pyrrhic victory move.And a dick one.

...OL, you really should be paying attention to Pluto...

Thanks goodness someone isn't holding an idiot ball out here. Seriously, OL is going out of his way to have tunnel vision there.

He's guessing whoever's controlling the ClusterCorp workers has to be nearby? It's a logical assumption.

Yes, he's always like this. You get used to ignoring it...

I'm impressed, he's already good at keeping Manga Khan on plot.

No doubt thinking 'Seriously, who gave him a power ring, and how can I slap him upside the head?'

He'd have to be fucking amazing at it...

Oh gods, please don't let him get started on the marketing goodthink doublespeak...

Well, he's efficient when sufficiently motivated, at least. Didn't even slow down.

Can get a little carried away, though...

Oh, shite, it is the Chaos Starros. Time to go Doomguy on them!

Clever. That hopefully breaks the spell instantly.

Ow. I bet that doesn't feel pleasant...

But a total dick. It's getting a kick in the sphincter-mouth for that.

Ouch, it overloaded it? That must have taken a lot out of it, though - those spell eaters are built Tonka tough...

And that will get the other local Lanterns on site five minutes ago. Good call.

Thanks goodness for nigh-indestructible skin.

Kick it inna gubbins!

FEED!

Nicely done, leeched almost all of its magic out of it...

"Ah, a favorable welcome! You missed me!"

Okay, ship's secured. Now for the Russian crews (assuming they weren't amongst the enthralled) and whatever's happening to Pluto. Because a continent-sized Star Conqueror is not going to be fun to fight. And yes, they grow that large.

Feels awkward. Perhaps 'puppeteering' would fit better?

2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Haa!

Called it:

No Ayn Rand bullshit speeches, please.

Not really a shame.

While an Ace of Order could be useful, its primary abilities would be damaging Chaos elementals and some other magical beings.

While the Helmet can provide a mage with a great deal of power and has far more versatility, like teleportation, magical shields, healing and who knows what else.

By contrast an Ace of Order would only be able to harm some things without the versatile powers the Helmet provides.

I guess he can try to make such and Ace if Nabu left notes on what his Helmet is made of, making more of that stuff and then infusing it with Order magic.

He could ask Hephaestus and Vulcan for help with that.

These Star Conquerors were created when Klarion used his magic on them.

Klarion, being a Lord of Chaos, lacks many of the restrictions that mortal magic users have on where they can use their magic, so maybe his altered Star Conquerors can dosome things an ordinary mortal can't.

Ok, I gotta ask, but have you actually been reading this story, or not?

Paul has spent time in Atlantis, is in contact with several knowledgeable magic users, one of which has what is possibly the largest library of arcane knowledge in existence, courtesy of its former owner being a space traveling alien Lord of Order who most likely also brought knowledge of magic from other planets, has acquired a great deal of knowledge about magic, has a database made by an ancient race that has encountered millions of civilizations, several of which were most likely magic using ones, he's been having a former Atlantean city explore the connection between the material universe and the Dreaming for him etc.

As for why he didn't assume they wouldn't operate under the same restrictions as Earth magic users, that can be explained as him using his previously acquired knowledge from his many, many sources on how mortal magic users can operate, and despite their nature, the Star Conquerors are at the end of the day still mortal magic users, with just a few Chaos modifications made.

Forget what Silverias said, you don't need a gutter for all your painfully ironic statements, you need a continent wide sewage system.

3. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

All makes sense to me... With the proviso, people get inventive/innovative, every so often. :)
    (It all had to be created sometime/somewhere, no matter how fantasy stories tell us to only look to the past for the good stuff... The gold you made the 'Golden Age' from had to come from somewhere... "Our ancestors were so much more clever than us." Ha! :) )

Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  4. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Genocide is just extinction with motivation.

Gilhelmi, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

6. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Honestly if it didn't have such a big chance of backfiring, probably the best way to deal with Star Conquerers would be to dump Black Mercy onto them.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Guess my question regarding magic has been answered.

Could the Star Hunter have a self-based magic system?

Basically an ego so big it generates it's own magic field?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  8. Profipfreely

Profipfreely Verified Pun

I don't know if it's intended, but that "Because-" doesn't have an ending dash (-). Seems out of place since you have "thralls-" and "-drop".

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

In this case, it's becuase the Guardians of the Universe exterminated magic from said universe.

Except for Earth, because they knew very well that poking the White Entity with an antimagic stick would be a case of "they chose...poorly."

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The comic Guardians did lock away magic from the rest of the universe, but this stories version most likely didn't.

Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  11. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

That one of the funniest lines this story has ever produced.

12. Mr Zoat

Because has a full stop, as the result he was trying to bring about then happened.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Yeah, it reminded me a bit of this:

14. topin89

topin89 Virgin Centrist

Should be

Chojin Patriarch and Mr Zoat like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Hahahahaha... Loving your understated humour Mr Zoat.

17. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

But let's not be disingenuous. I know that's not what you meant, and let's respond to what you did mean.

First of all, like Darko said, Paul has a host of experts to back up his opinion. Secondly, Earth based magic is different from other forms of magic only in where it powers itself from, and th inherent rules of that source.

This has been established before in the story multiple times.

18. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Don't go there.

19. WereDragon

WereDragon Bookwyrm

Wonder if he is lying to Adams or himself.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Darko like this.
  20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The greatest liars are those that believe their own lies.

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  21. nogoodnames

nogoodnames Getting out there.

Was going back in over parts of the story and came across a mention of a left eye while Grayven is transported to Major Kelly in arc Escalation as he uses it on a disguised Grayven to find out what he knows. Seems relevant to 'Evil' Paul. This to me indicates he would be a Grayven problem

Prince Charon, Vorian and Darko like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Hey Zoat how is Gold, formerly Anti Green, Paul's relationship with his version of Supes like?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  23. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Do Star Conquerors have a hive mind deal or are they capable of being individuals? I know they're literally Starfish Aliens but is it possible to have some of the species (whether the classic type or the new magical kind) act according to conventional human/humanoid morality? A heroic magic-telepath starfish could be fun.
    I'd have to reread their initial appearance, but my current impression is that their hostility largely stems from self-preservation, from their point of view, as well as natural instincts to control people to fulfil their goals. Are they incapable of learning a different path?

24. Xmaster3000

Xmaster3000 Know what you're doing yet?

Well, there is Jarro.

Gilhelmi, Vorian, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  25. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Really hope Jarro shows up and gets adopted by OL.

That scene with him helping Batman against Deathstroke was just beautiful.

26. Mr Zoat

They don't really have one. Or at least, not more than Superman has with any random superhero he met a few times.

27. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thought that they'd have a friendly one after Supes offered to help him with the ring.

Is Cursitor Doom on the same level of magic power with the likes of Giovanni Zatara, or is he stronger, like those Roanoke sorcerers?

28. Mr Zoat

Superman 12 is a really nice guy. The fact that he offered to help someone doesn't imply a deeper relationship.
    The Zatara family backwards talking is OP. Without that, then even outside of his place of power Cursitor Doom would be more capable. Doom is not a raw power magician.

29. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Supes offering to help him when he complained about his ring could be seen as the beginning of a friendship, especially since he probably didn't have many people offering to help him with it out of the kindness of their heart.

He was also very hopeful when Supes came back from the future.

So Doom is more of a skill magician.

Probably more powerful than a street magician, although not on the level of the sorcerers Klarion gathered for Roanoke, but incredibly good at using the magic he has.

30. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

I consider the relationship between philosophy and science roughly the same as the relationship between alchemy and chemistry, or astrology and astronomy. How do you find out if you're in Plato's Cave? You cut the damn chain and turn around to make an empirical measurement.

Prince Charon, Vorian and Lupercal like this.