1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. JamesEye

JamesEye Not too sore, are you?

Was Pluto the location of the mass relay in Mass Effect? Or one of its moons? It would be a funny joke if that’s what this was. I know it isn’t but coming from a mass effect fic to this just had my brain go there and gave me a laugh.

Alexandercctv likes this.
  2. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

Some morse code in there. Orange dots and dashes near the beginning, putting translation in spoiler.

Lord Lantern

3. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Can someone translate Manga Khan's Morse code?

I'm betting it says "Lord and Lantern" or something like that.

Edit: Ninjas. Also I was right!

4. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

What makes you think that Paul was worried about the gravitational pull of the neutronium? Paul doesn't mention that at all in the reasons why the ship might be moving.

First of all, that was an off-the-head number for a hypothetical worst case scenario. Second of all, fucking explosions strong enough to eject matter outside the atmosphere, and a series of them, so it doesn't have to be single mass that explodes simultaneously.

Yeah, he tanked his own reputation, and refuses to pull his head out of his ass, and constantly annoy the rest of the thread. That's not being thick-skinned, that's being pig-headed.

Hmm.

Yeah, he's no saint. He is just as vitriolic as the rest of us, he just has so many detractors it's hard to see that.

ChestBurster, Vorian, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. hidord

hidord Making the rounds.

I agree on the mass issue. A million tonnes of something is a billion kilograms, or 10^9 kg. Plugging that into the gravitational force equation, that mass a meter away from you would cause an acceleration of about 6.7*10-11 * 109 = 0.067 m/s2. Something far enough away to be on the planet they're orbiting would have to be several orders of magnitude lower than even that. Either the mass is off, or it's not gravity causing the issue.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  7. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Even a beginner's ward should be sufficient at this point. Best to be careful anyway.

'Lord Lantern' again? Seriously, Manga khan, he's not going to call you that no matter how many times you IM him.

Assuming they make it that far. Pluto is still cracking, isn't it?

Good to know they're safe. Presumably they were being used as batteries for the Chaos Starros' spellcasting.

Yet more work for Atlantis.

Ugh. Seriously, if only you had the direct authority to smack him upside the aurora.

Hopefully the League's previous dosage of anti-Starro device will hold out. Wouldn't do for the team to get mind-controlled again.

...Well, that isn't good.

Why ask him, he doesn't care enough to know.

God, it's like Manga Khan has been sapping his intelligence this whole arc.

They didn't need to go down there, they were already there!

I would still have real-time monitoring active. Even if you can't go outside yourself, you can look.

Here's hoping she doesn't get hit first by whatever's digging its way free of Pluto.

:eek:...Fuck, it's strong enough to pull them in from orbit?

Moving might be a good idea in general...

Oh, nothing much, just Pluto rolling in its sleep...

Physics isn't that loose, even in this universe. It'd have to vent, what, a thousand ship's masses worth of atmosphere to shift its orbital trajectory that much.

And it's really making your neck itch, isn't it? :p Feeling a knife there, about to slip in?

So many things, so little likelihood of any of them being the cause...

It's going to be like that scene in the Akira movie, isn't it? When Tetsuo lifts that container out of the underground vault... Slabs of rock tumbling like pebbles before something vast.

:confused: I'm sure others have plenty to say about the neutronium thing. All I know, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it, whether it's moving or not...

And now the Captain's starting to get concerned, isn't he? This is a bit above his pay-grade...

Oh, boy, that line's a big opening for so many comebacks...:rolleyes:

Well, that's not good at all. o_O Are we about to lose Pluto? It just never catches a break in any DC timeline, does it?

Man, this is looking worse and worse. And OL has no idea what's about to rip out of there, yet. Let's hope his telepathic shielding is up to snuff against five brains the size of New York State...

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Zoat did Paul just create some kind of symbol, most likely the symbol of the Orange Light, near the Star Conquerors and just set it up so that it absorbs their magic using Orange Light, like how he absorbed some of Sephtians magic after the Hell fiasco?

DrThoth likes this.
  9. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

How are they so blase about this?

The Star Conquerors cracked a dwarf planet and Paul is worried about the ship???

And he even detected a structure!

Unless the Stars are messing with their m(inds I will be very disappointed in them for not getting that something dangerus is breaking out.

DrThoth, CTrees and Vaermina like this.
  10. Mr Zoat

I don't remember exactly what he did back then, but no. This works the orange sigil into it but also has a lot of other runic programming.

11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Here's what he did

Nice to see Paul advance in his use of magic.

12. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

In space all motion is relative, so yes.

If the star conqueror is cut off from the rest of the collective by the telepathic inhibitor, it's identity should be small enough to assimilate.

13. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

These Star Conquerors were modfied by Klarions magic, so it may not be that easy.

infinityDivided and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

In Mass Effect, Charon is a relay incased in ice.

SaltyWaffles and JamesEye like this.
  15. Awkward

Awkward Know what you're doing yet?

Pluto is a dwarf planet, it is scientifically a planet, just so tiny as to be inconsequential.

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

No, V says stuff like this:

At least when they’re even involving the person making the argument at all, generally they stick to the actual argument.

Everyone else responds with this:

It not equivalent, at all. There’s only so far past reputation can justify your gut reactions, especially when I’ve seen interactions with V and others (presumably not regular commentators) that are generally positive on both sides. Even the regular’s who pile on generally have some kinda rebuttal, but you gotta add the toxic comments too. V has a problem with automatically having ‘Paul is wrong’ as a stance, you guys have a problem with automatically having ‘V is wrong’ as a stance. That’s an equivalency that works. V has the mildest form of aggression I’ve ever seen though, and his biases on Paul don’t really effect anyone but himself (unless you let it) because I’m almost certain Zoat has got him on ignore. You guys have the most self-righteous form of aggression I’ve ever seen for the most trivial shit, and while V seems to be fine with it, it’s still aggressively mobbing the unpopular kid.

17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

We don't have an automatic problem with Vaermina whenever they post some new comment. There are times when people have agreed with what they posted, including myself, rare as those moments are, but if they continue to post comment after comment with no basis in reality whatsoever and use every justification, no matter how insignificant. nonsensical, misinformed and pathetic it is, to justify it, which they tend to do most of the time, then people really aren't going to want to be friendly or agree with them. If they also don't actually try to stop or change their stance, even when provided with reasonable evidence on why their stance is wrong, then people won't try to politely dissuade them. There comes a point where you can just lose patience with someones stupidity, that being polite to them feels like a wasted effort.

And calling us self righteous and aggressive over trivial shit is ironic considering that Vaermina has practically come to define that on this site.

18. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Or what I actually see: ‘If they don’t try to stop or change their stance, even when piled on and aggressively mocked, they deserve what’s comin to em’. Because we all know having a personal head canon despite someone on the internet disagreeing with you, is grounds for whatever insult you can think of.

I’m not seeing it, overly certain maybe, aggressive and self-righteous? Nah.

Jaron and jasonh23761 like this.
  19. FeepingCreature

FeepingCreature Not too sore, are you?

Seconding that Vaermina is, unusually, actually right here. A million ton of neutronium has a mass of a million tons, which is basically nothing on a planetary scale. Now, a million cubic tons of neutronium at neutron star density... would still only raise Pluto's mass by 3%.

A million of a human-scale volumetric unit simply isn't gonna make any impression on a planet.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

It's more like 'If they don't change their stance when presented with logical reasons why their stance is wrong, and hold onto those wrong beliefs no matter what, then you honestly find it difficult to sympathize with them'.

No, an individual having a personal head canon despite someone on the internet disagreeing with them isn't grounds for insulting that individual, but having a personal head canon that you believe in, when said canon makes zero sense, contradicts the actual canon of the story, and you still hold onto it even when told in a reasonable way why it is wrong, and insult and consider everyone that disagrees with you on your beliefs, even when they try to be as reasonable as possible, to be utter morons that are barely able to function, then people can become less polite, seeing as politeness doesn't seem to be working.

If being polite and reasonable doesn't work anymore, maybe being insulting and reasonable will. It's certainly a lot less mentally taxing than trying to be polite to someone like that.

Just because someone is a pariah that doesn't mean they're somehow a poor victim that needs to be defended from everyone that thinks badly of them. There are times when the pariah can just be a giant bastard that people tried to be friendly with, but they just kept insulting those people, so those people eventually just stopped being polite. The insults we throw at Vaermina are at least based in reality and truth, unlike many other pariahs, who have had things completely made up about them to insult them.

We may have a very different definition on overly certain and aggressive self-righteousness.

Vaermina has been doing shit like this since Zoat started writing this story on SB, which was about 7 years ago, and doesn't seem to be stopping.

There comes a point when being overly certain can become being self-righteously aggressive, and after 7 years of Vaermina still doing this shit I'd say that said point has been reached.

21. Dragonvx100

Dragonvx100 Not too sore, are you?

I'm thinking when the Star Conquerors went into hiding one or more of the big ones got themselves frozen in Pluto. This was them getting it out.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin and Darko like this.
  22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Probably.

The other thing that could be down there is a ship they left from one of the races they controlled, but it's probably a really big Star Conqueror.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

Well its gonna be interesting reading about a planet sized starro.

Darko likes this.
  24. Mr Zoat

I'm sorry, this sounds like something I should actually have read. Would anyone care to reiterate?

25. Hell's Razer

Hell's Razer Passive Member

For some reason I have this image in my head of the -probable- Star Conqueror telekinetically using the ship as a lift up bar to pull it self from the planet.

Ngamer11, Vorian and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  26. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

I understand the comment to be about how the mass of that much neutronium would be irrelevant as far as gravity is concerned.

That what would be relevant is the change in volume, as a tiny volume turns in an immense one, which would produce an massive explosion. (That was in a second post.)

27. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

Exact quote.

28. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

That may not help...

I've not experimented with it, myself, but allegedly quotes are invisible as well as actual posts, if you block someone...

Prince Charon likes this.
  29. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

I didn't use the automatic quote function.

30. Galacticplumber

Galacticplumber Not too sore, are you?

Even if you had, it was explicitly a message bringing up the requested message and anyone can briefly turn off the block until they refresh page or move to a different page. You could literally make it not a quote if you had to take it a step further I suppose, but that seems unnecessary.