1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

If the SI had a kid they would most likely become a supervillain, like children are already selfish dicks, and now imagine one born filled with orange light and no enlightenment. And it's pretty clear from thr Show that Jade wouldn't be a good mother.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Have you got any idea how much those cost?
    Thank you, corrected.
    Yes.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Paul could just adopt a kid, or he doesn't even need to get Jade pregnant by having sex with her.

He could just make her pregnant by using his ring, or some other advanced alien tech he has, but not add any of his DNA into the mix.

Couples in which the male is sterile can use the sperm donated to a sperm bank by another man to have a child.

Paul also probably wouldn't care that the child is not biologically his, the other versions certainly don't care.

This stories version of Jade is very different from the one in the show.

The one in the show went back to the Shadows, while in this story the Shadows are destroyed so she has no one to back up any cultlike brainwashing they may have done.

This stories version has a better relationship with her mother and sister. So she has a better emotional support network.

Most of the people that would have cause to harm her if she betrayed them are either dead or are a non issue, the Shadows are gone and her father is in prison, so she has no reason to fear that those she cares about are going to be killed for her actions and believe she needs to abandon them to keep them safe.

This stories version is also different in a more biological way now.

When she got out of prison and OL got her to heal those people in Vietnam with his ring she had the ring improve her brain.

One of the things this did was give her more empathy, so she may find it emotionally more difficult to do some of the actions she did in the show.

Hope we see some of them soon.

4. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Fair Enough
    She was raised by Sportsmaster and the League of Shadows that didn't change. And the first thing she did after making herself more empathic was starting ot work for the mob. And while the Darkstars are a better than all that, they aren't particularly nice either.

Let's just say I doubt she'd turn out to be a much better mother than Canon Jade.

Cuchulin, Xmaster3000 and Ardy like this.
  5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I'd say that she would turn out to be a better mother than her show self.

Yes she worked for the mob for a bit, but I don't think she acted as anything other than a bodyguard, and not say as an enforcer or leg breaker.

Paul would have stepped in to stop her, and I think she genuinely wanted to turn a new leaf, but she couldn't find work due to her criminal record.

Yes she was raised by Sportsmaster and spent time in the Shadows, but she's also spent time with her loving boyfriend who has done a lot to help her become better, has a better relationship with her family members, has friends in Holly, Karon, Selina and possibly others.

Yes the Darkstars aren't nice, but they also aren't a group of brainwashed cultists who believe that wiping out 90% of a planets population is a good way to fix the planet. They're a group of people that want to stop an evil empire.

Her father is in prison, and even if he escapes Paul can just track him down, so he can't be near his daughter, who doesn't even want to see him, to influence her further.

The fact that she'll probably be in space for several years would also make it difficult to do that.

Most of the negative influences in her life were removed, while the positive influences were increased tenfold.

We've already seen what positive influences have done for Bat Jade and GL Jade, so it's highly likely they will do a lot for paragon Jade.

I'd say she's going to be fine.

6. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, why is Paul going? They already don't like the heretic and they've got two other lanterns?

Xmaster3000 likes this.
  7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

He's highly skilled and powerful, more so than the other two.

He did also play a part in killing Klarion, who I'm guessing is one of the worst criminals their society has produced, so that should give him some good points in their books.

He's also someone that can potentially take months off, since due to some time shenanigans months could pass on the other side.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  8. Mr Zoat

Beulah doesn't like him. She doesn't speak for the whole country.

9. Ardy

He was killed by an army of angels and allied with Hell. While they don't necessarily know that it's still a crazy risk for a guy who skill set is already on the mission roster by two other people.

10. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

In order to find that out they may need to summon a demon, which is about as likely to happen as George R.R. Martin finishing his book.

Or they could try to summon an Angel, but the Angel can just tell them that they made a mistake when they tried to kill him and even tell them that he helped them by exposing at least two corrupt Angels, which may give him more good will among the puritans.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paragon has almost nothing in common with those other versions that you're citing at this point.

Also you seem to be forgetting that he's almost incapable of saying "no" to someone he cares about in concerns to their desires. And has the attention space of an goldfish with ADHD. Both of which would make him a horrible parent just in general.

Further he's been a horrible boyfriend to Jade, heck, they aren't even really dating any longer, he's just too thick to notice.

12. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Except the fact that they all care for their teammates and those they love, try to better the world by advancing it, are brave and heroic people who have greatly improved many things both on their world and in the wider universe.

Truly they have nothing in common.
    ( I'm being sarcastic in case you aren't capable of comprehending sarcasm. Just wanted to make sure you didn't assume I was agreeing with you)

You remember that he was able to say no to Kaldur, a close friend and teammate, when he asked him to stop associating with Venturia?

And there was that thing with Raquel, another teammate, and Angelika.

And that thing when he rejected Zatanna, a very close friend, when she tried to romance him.

Or did you forget this like many other things you tend to forget to try and justify your position?

He is fully capable of saying no to someone if he believes they are in the wrong, even if the person he is saying no to is someone very close to him.

He also is capable of having a very high attention span, seeing as he kinda planned to kill Nabu for months. That's not exactly something a person with a low attention span can do.

And even if he sometimes seems to have a low attention span, calling it lower than a 'goldfish with ADHD' is a bit, no, a lot too far.

You remember that he helped her with her prison sentence being so low because of his advice to her that made her fight the other prisoners during the breakout and got her transfered to a nicer prison with a lower sentence?

You remember that he put her father, who has abused her and her sister and would have continued to have an influence on her even after she left, in prison for life?

You remember that he helped her reconnect with her family?

You remember that he helped her find her new job in the Darkstars, which she has grown to like very much?

Jade has a job she likes now, but that job can make it difficult to meet up with Paul since she is fighting an evil empire and her missions may take at least weeks to finish.

Paul and she also communicate and probably meet up whenever her schedules is free, as has been shown many times.

Jade has been shown as loving Paul, but also needs to focus on her career now, which Paul is fully supportive of. Not a lot of people would be if it happened to them.

As far as boyfriends go, Paul is pretty high on the list.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Congratulations, you just generically described millions of people on the planet.

Fact is, Paragon is nothing like his other selves, he's not even like other humans with how badly he mindfucked himself.

Orange Light Morrow says otherwise.

As does all the things he starts then never checks back up on.

And they haven't even talked in month and now he's running off on a long term mission to another dimension.

14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Congratulations, you forgot that paragon had all those qualities and used a pathetic excuse to justify your position.

Fact is, paragon has a lot of similarities to his other selves that have adopted children.

Yes he isn't an exact copy of them, but he has a lot of similarities to them.

And humans can sometimes be absolute bastards, so saying that he's not like them can also be seen as a compliment, kinda like how saying someone is nothing like Adolf Hitler can be seen as a compliment.

He doesn't want to even think of Morrow now because he discovered that he may be influencing how he thinks and feels.

Paul isn't exactly all that comfortable mind controlling people, even if he's done it on occasion.

He also asked the Controllers to figure out a way to turn assimilated people back to normal.

This was a smart thing to do as they probably know more of the orange light than anyone in the universe.

Currently he can't do anything to turn Morrow back into an ordinary human, so visiting him is pointless.

You also forgot that in one of the previous episodes we saw him visiting the various things he started and checking up on them, though I guess we shouldn't be surprised you did that, you've certainly done it before.

The most severe case of him not checking up on something he started was the Vega thing, and now he checks up on it.

He warned the Crown Imperium not to try to take over Vega, and before you say that it's just that single time he checked up do remember that he does do things off screen and having it stated in every single episode what is happening in Vega would most likely get boring after a while.

And that whole thing with him not knowing about Manga Khan can be explained as him not knowing every single member of his organization because a lot of people aren't going to know every single member of their organization if it numbers in the thousands.

Jade and he had lunch in the previous episode.

They also most likely talk through communication devices off screen when they can't see each other.

Jade also may be used to not seeing someone for months given her lifestyle and occupation, yet still manages to have a relationship with them.

Jade is also a big girl who can take care of herself and doesn't need her boyfriend to be with her all the time to help her.

Hell she may actually resent him if he tried to do that, seeing as she could think that he considers her incompetent and incapable of taking care of herself, which she would be offended by because she takes pride in her skills as a warrior.

15. Ardy

They are, remember when they talked via ring about how Zatanna tried to bang him? But don't worry, he won't acknowledge this, he's just Vaermina-posting

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Actually he doesn't.

Also you are comparing him to Renagade, a person who had pretty much his entire identity re-written by Fatherbox.

Side note, Renagade is also horrible at being a "father".

Yea... You don't get to claim all the things we see are exceptions and him not being that way totally happens off screen.

Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten that chapter.

Your going "oh they are totally still dating because they met up and had dinner for the first time in months last week" however isn't really a sterling example of them being in an actual relationship.

Prove it.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Ardy

See? Called it.

BoML, Deadring and Darko like this.
  18. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Actually he does, you just choose to ignore them, because acknowledging them would mean that you have to admit you're wrong.

Except it didn't, since they still share a lot of similarities, like their uplift desire, with each other other.

Renegade is prone to being more ruthless and use more intimidation than the paragon, but he didn't have his entire personality rewritten, since I'm fairly certain that if the Box did that it would have made him into just a generic villain that conquered things without any of the subtle methods he currently employs, as well as make him only care about himself and maybe serving Darkseid.

He's not a generic villain, he uses subtle methods to get his way, he cares about other people aside from himself, one of his ultimate goals is to stop Darkseid.

And remember that he's not the only other version that adopted kids.

You remember that he rescued his children from horrible, horrible places and circumstances?

Lynne was being used as a living weapon and later on was being used to channel the Anti Life Equation.

The hybrid children were left to starve and actually ate some of their older members when they reached a certain age.

Renegade gave them ways to control their impulses, taught them valuable lessons on taking their medicine, and actually shared a piece of his soul with Lynne, which saved her from the thing that killed her in canon.

He showed them love and care, something they probably don't remember receiving from an older individual in their entire lives.

And now he's going to potentially marry a pony, who will be their step mother.

All of these things are good indicators that he's very much good at being a father.

His parenting style isn't typical, but it isn't bad.

You make claims that have no basis in reality most of the time.

My claims actually have some basis in reality, so I'm going to make claims that can actually make sense.

I suggest you try it.

Yeah you do that a lot.

I'm assuming you've never had an actual relationship that's worked out.

Paul has stated multiple times that they are dating and Jade hasn't exactly corrected him that they are not, so I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they're still dating, even if it isn't your standard dating.

Jade doesn't have anything to fear from Paul since she probably knows him well enough now to know that he's not going to do something as petty as take away her job if she breaks up with him.

Here:

Why there's even a part where she says she loves him and has Violet colored speech.

Here's another part, just in case you say in happened just once.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    LurkingInTheDeceit, Rebu and Ngamer11 like this.
  19. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Should be "If"

Mr Zoat, Chojin Patriarch and Darko like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Step mother. To be their mother-in-law she'd have to marry the parent of their spouse.
    Thank you, corrected.

I'm afriad that due to the forum update today's story segment will be delayed until this evening.

21. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch and Mira00Mira like this.
  22. Itypeslow

Itypeslow Corpses for the Corpse God!

That ought to be an or

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thanks for letting us know. Now I don't need to keep the tab open and I'll just check again tomorrow.

24. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

25. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

The streak is unbroken! Hallelujah!

26. Threadmarks: Otherworld (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

1st May
    07:06 GMT -5

"What time of year is it?"

I look down at the nation of Columbia. I hesitate to say 'sleeping' nation because I don't want to trigger alerts by trying to scan houses that from the look of the glowing sigils on their eaves are probably warded. There are eight large towns that I can see from this height, and about a hundred smaller settlements ranging in size from farming hamlets with a few houses to market towns and mining towns with a few dozen. It looks like a successful colony from the era their ancestors were kidnapped.

"I'm not sure. I don't know for certain that they have seasons here."

"The planet's orbit is completely even? Their rotational axis is vertical?"

"I don’t know. I'm trying to avoid scanning anything I don't have to. Why do you ask?"

He shrugs awkwardly. "Since I was enhanced, I have been less sensitive to temperature and the… Pressure of the wind. As I have moved around the world, I do not always know what the temperature is. Or what time of year it is." He shakes his head. "I was curious. It does not matter."

"You didn't mention anything about numbness. Is it something I can help with?"

"No, it is not-. I am not numb. If you touch me I will feel it without you needing to punch me. It is that I do not…" He takes a moment to think through the sentence. "My brain does not receive it in the same way."

I nod. "Otherwise you'd get overloaded when someone in your weight class did hit you."

"That would be a problem. Please, continue with your task." He smiles faintly. "I will watch out for houses with chicken legs."

They've got road… Turnpikes? They appear to use the Macadam method, rather than covering them with tarmac. I also can't see any evidence of steam power, though I suppose with grundymen providing physical power they wouldn't need it. I can see horse drawn carts but no cars or sedan chairs. Sedan chairs would make sense, wouldn't they? A grundyman front and back and they could carry the occupant easily enough.

"Wrong mythology. Though I think I was right about the seasons." I point upwards towards a glowing dot in the sky. "I haven't checked because I don't want to trip an alert, but I think that's a white dwarf."

They've got canals and I can see boats on the rivers. Rivers that appear to have been straightened in places. I suppose that one thing this place isn't short on is manual labour. I know that the Seven Soldiers version had a prohibition on the menfolk performing certain types of manual labour in the belief that they should be done by grundymen while the men focused on their religious obligations, but the witch-hunters I met didn't seem to find manual labour particularly offensive. I can't see the sea from here, but the rivers appear to be draining to somewhere. Planets with liquid water on the surface but no seas are quite unusual.

"I see." He nods. "I had wondered why it was so light at night. I had thought that we were near dawn." He takes another look at the landscape below. "The plants have leaves, so there must be a normal sun as well."

"There are a couple of different arrangements that can work, but we're not in anything weird like a black hole system."

He raises his eyebrows. "Those exist?"

"They're uncommon, but yes. I'm only aware of two naturally occurring systems like that, where planets formed a very long way away from the star and survived its pre-collapse expansion. There's another one astronomers think was a capture of a rogue planet and a fourth where a sufficiently godlike being just moved a planet there."

There are people up and around. I can see people entering and leaving what I assume to be homes and businesses. A lot of them are accompanied by a grundyman, but I'm not seeing any grundywomen? Is that a cultural prohibition, or are they just employed in different work?

"Are they dangerous?"

"A black hole only has the same mass as the star it was before its collapse. I mean, ultimately, everything in the universe will crash into everything else, but a lucky planet can circle the drain for a very long time. You probably wouldn't want to live on one, though. Most species don't react well to not having a light in the sky."

The churches are easy to identify, and they're relatively modest affairs. Actually, that appears to be a theme in their architecture; frivolity and gaudiness are completely excluded. Externally, at least. Oh, I can tell the wood-built houses of the poor from the stone houses of the rich, but there's nothing flamboyant about the homes of the wealthy. No marble fascias or decorative columns. No stained glass. They've got leaded glass, but I'm not seeing any single-pane large windows.

Huh. Not seeing any overt use of Sheeda technology. That could be a taboo of some sort as well…

"I think I've got enough of a map for us to be going on with. Anything you want to take a look at before we head back do-?"

A blast of purple fire explodes next to us! I create a construct barrier between us and the blast while Leonid just raises his right arm to shield his eyes, the fires burning… It's eating at the construct but not going right through it. Progress!

"There." Leonid points down. "It came from there. We should-. Ask Wonder Woman for permission to engage?"

I look down and ah! My favourite witch-hunter! Who's busy reloading her jezzail while grundymen hold her barrel rest and ammunition pouch.

"No. These people may be dangerous for sixteenth century refugees, but they aren't much of a threat to us and we're not here to pick fights. Please go and tell Wonder Woman what's happening while I try talking Mistress Bleak down."

"This is the woman-." He nods, already floating back towards the menhirs. "I understand."

Beulah raises her miniature artillery piece again and I drop, dimming my glow in an attempt to throw off her aim. I didn't think that she was 'kill-on-sight' angry with me when we parted, but perhaps all she can see is an orange dot in the sky? I watch her grimace as she loses sight of me, her attempt to track my most likely location spoiled by the unresponsive nature of her gunnery crew.

I land a short distance away, raise my hands and step into her line of sight.

"Mistress Bleak. May I ask-"

She fires, and this time the projectile doesn't explode. Instead it strikes my construct barrier and keeps coming, bending my construct back in the effort to repel it. I opt to simply step aside and then dismiss my barrier, letting the projectile carry on into the nearby trees.

"-why you're shooting at me?"

She levels the jezzail at my chest, her motions slightly.. twitchy.

"Are you alright?"

There is a flicker of light from some of the sigils embroidered on her shawl, then a little of the tension leaves her.

"Well enough not to need aid from the likes of you, pagan. What dark turn of fate brings you to our shores this night?" She shakes her head in irritation. "T'was you who opened the witch-path, deny it not."

"That's how I got here certainly, but it wasn't me who opened it."

She regards me with a level, frustrated gaze. "How many?"

"Eight, including our most capable arcanist. We're here-."

"Why are you here?"

"Because Queen Gloriana Tenebrae's Sheeda are going to be attacking our Earth before too long, and we need information from you."

"We made war upon her husband and his accursed followers. We care not a whit for her."

"But she cares about Melmoth, and I doubt very much that the witch-paths will remain obscured to her if she defeats us."

She nods with clear reluctance. "Perhaps."

"Would you like to speak to the head of the mission, to discuss the matter in more detail?"

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  27. Mr Zoat

The streak was broken a while ago when I was house sitting for my parents and their internet conked out. I've got years to go before I'm streaking again.

28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I'm annoyed by the annoying annoyance that is the annoying word choice of this annoying sentence, which annoys me.
    Not one to take your birthday suit to the rugby field, then?

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I don't think I like these people very much. Self righteous religious folk are...blegh.

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wrong universe, the one you're in isn't a closed system.

Cuchulin likes this.