1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, I'm grateful.

2. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Considering her past interactions with the SI I find her reaction to be fully understandable.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

If you're talking about the fictional universe Zoat made then he can just make it whatever he likes physics wise.

Comic authors have been doing it for decades.

Being dragged to Hell because of your actions will make many people dislike you.

4. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

So has Zoat ever answered why he uses double quotation marks instead of singular?

moralrelativity likes this.
  5. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Probably because apostrophes aren't quotation marks. Even Americans know that.

BR549, moralrelativity, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  6. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Fun fact, you can have light in a Black hole system, if it has an accression disk and said disk doesn't rotate too fast around the black hole (or else the light emitted wouldn't be in the visible spectrum).

Interstellar shows how it would look like : you would see a dark zone where the black hole is, with a shiny ring in front of it, and a shiny corolla around the hole (the corolla is in fact the part of the accression disk behind the hole, its light curving around the mass)

[Edit : stupid autocorrect]

I still prefer our format : « like this »
    Much easier to see IMO

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And he already has... Hence the Bleed...

8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Bleed was a thing long before this story was first written.

9. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Look, Leonid, can we not assume this place is identical to Earth? Just because it has similar plants and wildlife, and can sustain people...

Surprising they haven't advanced visibly in the technological arena. But given their religious and cultural bias, they've focused entirely on the arcane, have they not? And presumably there're reasons to not form overly large cities ('towns' implies a certain size, yes...) besides the obvious limitations of their farming methods...

So relying primarily on passive observation of the main populated areas. That's got to be annoying.

Fascinating. I suppose it's a necessary side effect of being capable of unprotected spaceflight.

Or when making atmospheric re-entry without a suit. Or tanking energy blasts...

I doubt Baba Yaga is running around here, Leonid. Wouldn't be surprised, though.

Since the populated areas isn't especially spread out, you wouldn't need much in the way of long-range vehicles. And few people would travel far from home except for business, if they live like their ancestors do.

Witchworld's got some messed up physics, I take it. The weird output of a white dwarf might explain some of the stranger aspects of their environment...

Underground aquifers? Sunken seas? This place is very strange...

Eurgh. I shudder at the things such a place would produce... The Universe is a weird and wonderful place.

Because of course some deity wanted a holiday home under the shade of a black hole.

The question is, does the process that creates them actually affect women?

Unless they evolved under it to not use light. Like Rot Lop Fan's people, evolving to use sound instead of sight because their planet had poor light. :confused: Or am I talking out of my arse?

I expect any flamboyance is kept for private places. If they bother with it at all. As for Sheeda tech, could they even produce it without the support structures needed? Some of it is organic, sure, but not all, or not entirely.

Well, looks like someone finally noticed them. And he's learning to harden his constructs against the particular arcane signature of their weaponry. That'll be helpful down the line.

Hell of a shot. I had assumed they were higher up, like a couple of kilometres...

Yes, there's some history between them, so to speak. You don't want to get tarred with the same brush...

Yeah, I expect grundymen don't have the best reaction times. Probably why the actual fighters are human and they're limited to bearers.

Like a boss, OL. Letting her shoot at you and everything.

Calming runes? She must have some anger issues, then. :D

More or less what she asked, but not quite what she wanted...

Well, seven humans, and Brut. Which the Witchworlders will probably find significant.

Honestly. One lot is as bad as the other. The Queen would ravage your lands just as her hubbie would.

Good move, passing the buck. Diana should have an easier time of it, with her diplomatic skills.

Well, belated, but enjoyable. It did take a moment to remember who was with OL in the opening lines, but that's the nature of Mr Zoat's style. And very amusing that Beluah Bleak is the first person to interact with them. Not a great first (second?) impression...

10. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And it means the universe isn't a closed system...

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Who is leonid again?

12. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Even with magic and grundymen, they're weirdly static in their technological advancement. Or seemingly static.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  13. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

Russian Starfire

14. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Russian lad who had an alien engine blow up in his face and give him superpowers.

He doesn't realize how lucky he was, since another guy that happened to in DC was left as a goopy zombie.

Cuchulin and RichardWhereat like this.
  15. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

We see later that a magic projectile does go through his construct, so was the construct resistance here due to the nature of the purple fire or some actual power development on the Paragon's part? Saying 'progress' seems to point towards the latter, at least in my view.

16. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Not really. Remember, they are descendent from the kidnapped inhabitants of the Roanoke Colony, which was composed of approximately 112-121 colonists at the time of their disappearance. And doubtlessly at least a few died during their enslavement and liberation.

They had a very small starter population and it's only been a little over 400 years since their displacement to Witchworld. Technological advancement requires a large population, and while they've grown in number I still doubt they have the population of even one of the smaller American colonies during the Revolution.

What development they've had, has naturally been focused on infrastructure development(as they found themselves on a truly untamed wilderness without even natives to possibly get help from and no trade or immigration from a "mother country") and integrating magic into their society(which in itself would have drastically boosted them above the capabilities of a 16th century American colony).

They aren't stagnate, they've just had different needs and priorities, as well as a lack of the pressures that lead to an industrial revolution. Give them another half millennium, and assuming their population bottleneck doesn't cause them too many problems(at least problems that cant be fixed with magic and sheeda blood), their population will have grown large enough to have developed even more significant diverges from their colonial forebears, and possibly even start a magitech industrial revolution amongst them.

17. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

listen guys, i know you don't know me, and that this may or may not be the most appropriate forum to drop this factoid in, but i have to because i don't know where or when i'll ever get another chance to say it:

goddamn, i would raw-dog the shit out of Beulah Bleak, and corrupt her in so many carnal ways. i've never been one to succumb to the typical comic hotties, but something about my dear Beulah makes me want to run that gauntlet and shoot for the goal, and every other metaphor that could be reasonably applied to the challenging uphill battle i would face when courting her.

now that my creepy confession is concluded, i'll go back to lurking. thank you for your time.

18. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, thank you for sharing. I suppose. I bet Zoat really appreciates it.

19. deimos16

deimos16 Paragon of Grey

It's good that you've gotten that off your chest, but seriously? Beulah Bleak of all people? The weird creepy witch Hunter nun person?

20. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Because double quotation marks are the only acceptable mark of quotation in EVERY writing style guide.

Sonder, OrigamiPhoenix, BR549 and 2 others like this.
  21. Threadmarks: Otherworld (supplementary, Renegade Option)
    Mr Zoat

1st May
    07:31 GMT -6

"…President Horne getting a surprising degree of traction in Colorado."

"I…" I nod my head to the side. The gesture will be lost over the radio, but increasing numbers of people watch over the internet these days. "I think it's really more that… With me here… People are willing to look beyond their customary party loyalties and examine the actual content of his platform." I raise my hands. "Though I want to be clear-."

My interviewer raises her pencil-thin eyebrows sceptically. "You're not campaigning for the President."

"Just so. I-."

"Every time you get an interview and promote the President, you say you're not campaigning."

I shrug. "The President is what people ask me about. You can ask me about Senator N-."

"Senator Knight. Since you can't seem to remember his name from one interview to the next."

"I was going to say Senator Northrup Bristol…" I frown. "He's still in the running, isn't he?"

"He's still on the ballot paper, but he can't get enough delegates to win the nomination."

And she knows that I'm messing about. I nod to concede the point, and decide that it's time to retire that joke. Senator Bristol didn't have much of a following, even amongst the arch-conservatives who might be considered his natural followers, largely because he sounded dangerously close to wanting to give certain parts of his social ideals… An undue amount of legal authority. Fault-only divorce was one of his more sensible policies.

"You can ask me about my dealings with Senator Knight if you like, but it won't take very long."

"Okay then. What dealing have you had with Senator Knight?"

"Basically none." I shrug. "I arranged for his protection when Doctor Cochin tried to carry out his coup, and I've been on the periphery of a few discussions he and the President were part of, but that's about it. I don't think we've exchanged more than a dozen words. You see; I can only tell you about the interactions I've actually had with people, so anything I say on the subject is naturally going to focus on President Horne. But you can ask me about anything else."

"Alright then." She turns to the… Internet text-channel thing. "Have you got anything to say about rumours you're dating a horse?"

"No, no. Completely ridiculous."

"Because they've got pictu-."

"Princess Luna is a pony, not a horse. A horse would be taller. Also, she's from a parallel universe where ponies are intelligent. Really, it's no more weird than me dating a human would be. Also, she went from trying to stab me to dating me, a dramatic improvement on the order in my previous relationship."

Her expression suggests that she doesn't quite know how to take that. Jade's doing… I hesitate to call it 'good' work in Africa, but certainly 'productive' and 'beneficent'. Their politicians are mostly-. I should say, their surviving politicians are mostly honest, and we're making progress with their industry. The continent as a whole has never been more stable or principled and Lex is building so many spaceships without having to worry about first world spies.

"So.. I.. understand that you send your children to a public school."

I fro-. "Oh! Oh, sorry. Ah. In Britain a 'public' school is one you can attend regardless of where you live or what religion you practise. They're still private organisations, rather than public services." I nod. "Yes, all my children attend our local school. Since none of them had what you might call.. normal childhoods, I thought that improving their social skills and.. helping them make connections in the local community was the most important consideration."

"That implies you don't think very highly of the quality of the school's teaching."

"No, no, that's… I'm in the fortunate position to have good relations with the genomorphs. I employ a lot of them in Challenger Mountain and I've been involved in helping them find their feet in human society. So it really wasn't that difficult to have a lot of the purely rote learning stuff telepathically inserted into my children's minds. That's a service the genomorphs offer commercially, and since my younger children would have been so far behind their peers otherwise it seemed wise to avail ourselves of it."

"So between the genomorphs teaching them facts and the school teaching them how to use it, you've covered all of your bases."

I nod. "Nearly. I had to cover a couple of things myself. There aren't a lot of New Gods on Earth, so I had to teach Lynne the New God specific things myself. Likewise, my younger children have a tutor for their own arcane abilities. And since American schools are so reticent in that area, I had to cover sex education myself. Which was a little bit awkward, because I had no prior knowledge of how sanitary pads or.. tampons worked, until I needed to find out for my younger girls. If you're a boy, British sex education just skips right past that stuff-. Or at least it did when I was in school."

"You..? Ah, you didn't get sex education from… On Apokolips?"

"Sort of. That was a five minute aside from my father's chief torturer during my physiology lectures."

Confirmed by the late and unlamented Father Box.

"I can't say it really stuck out? And that wouldn't have covered 'feminine hygiene' anyway; female New Gods can consciously control their fertility and so have no need for that sort of thing. But when I was growing up in Britain during my 'second childhood', I didn't remember any of that."

"A lot of American parents don't want schools to teach their children about sex in case it encourages them to become sexually active before they're ready to deal with the emotional and physical consequences. How do you feel about that?"

"Well… I'm…" I shrug. "Just used to it being part of the curriculum. And.. it certainly didn't make me sexually precocious. But that's a.. wider difference between Europe and America, you know; collective responsibility versus individual responsibility. In Europe it's considered completely natural to make sure that children get a basic education on how their bodies work in school, along with education on everything else. I think… Some parents withdrew their children from those particular lessons, but it was a pretty small number. But in America it's seen as a big deal… So… Fine; you're responsible for your own children. If you don't want to delegate that responsibility then it's your job as parents to make sure they have the information they need presented in the proper context. I don't have a problem with that, either, and like to think that I've discharged mine in a reasonably competent manner."

She nods. "I see. And what sort of age do you think a parent ought to explain things to their children?"

"The explanations children get for things get… More complex as they get older. But I'd say that the very basics of how the reproductive organs work, it probably makes sense to tell them that as early as possible. 'This is what your heart does, this is where poop comes from, this is what your genitals do.'"

"Ooh."

"Because that way you're not making it sound like it's a taboo subject. You're not drawing any particular emphasis to it, and at that sort of age they're not going to take in the details anyway. If it's not a taboo subject, not only will they not feel embarrassed about asking you questions, it won't be anything like as interesting."

She sits back in the chair.

"I.. think we're going to get some calls about this."

"Good show, but while I don't really have a problem giving the talk to… Just about anyone, I really think… Children, if you're listening? The best ports of call actually are your parents, not phoning a radio program. I know it's weird and awkward, but they've almost certainly been through whatever you're going through, but long enough ago that they've got some perspective on it."

"OkayIthinkthat'senoughonthattopic! Ah. Let's try something nice and uncontroversial, like gun control."

"Ah, alright? To the best of my knowledge, President Horne's position is that the Second Amendment is pretty clear on the subject, and the Federal Government shouldn't be infringing on people's right to bear arms."

"His.. voting record as a Senator and his speeches tell a rather different story."

"The fact that he personally doesn't like private gun ownership doesn't change his reading of the Constitution. It's like free speech: 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'. He is very unlikely to spend any time while in office removing restrictions because he likes living in a country where those restrictions exist, but he isn't going to make more because he doesn't think he has the authority."

"Okay! Well, ah… This is Karolyn McDermott for DCNN, and we'll be… We'll be right back after these messages. … Probably."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  22. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]
    Nuns are catholic. She's puritan.

23. Prognostic Hannya

Prognostic Hannya Knight of the Yuri Crusade

We need moar Grayven (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

24. Razorfloss

Razorfloss I trust you know where the happy button is?

At this point I find grayven story much more interesting than Paul. He's reached his apex of power while grayven is still growing his.

Jaron, zerofarad, Lupercal and 9 others like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I doubt it.

The real Grayven probably got the talk from Darkseid, because if there's one thing Darkseid would never pass up, it's a chance to emotionally traumatize his offspring.

26. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

We need more Belulah

Kalem_Lee and OrigamiPhoenix like this.
  27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Welcome to the realization that Paragon has become a boring invincible hero.

We have T-Shirts and membership cards.

28. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

maybe 'exchanged'

29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

America: it's okay to show people suffering from their bodies, but god forbid they enjoy their bodies.

And no naughty words while you tear someone apart!