1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

A bleak and blighted place. Sounds like the perfect place for the tomb of a bastard like Melmoth...

I suspect some ravaging form of magic. Like in Dark Sun - something that rips the life out of the land itself...

Yeah, whatever went down here left its mark.

Like Kaiju in Pacific Rim... Toxic bodily fluids, so that killing them causes just as much damage as letting them run rampant...

Sounds like something killed the creatures native to the planet, and replaced them with controllable counterparts of Sheeda manufacture.

Trying to hold back your irritation at the rubes trying to understand their 'betters' working, knife-ears?

Don't tell me. There was a battle between Witch-hunters and warlock-breed. And the former (or maybe the latter) dropped some serious shit?

No doubt seeking to hunt down 'all heretics in the name of the true faith' or some rot like that..

A massed mobilisation of Witch-hunters, or did they involve a citizen levy too? Not covering yourself in glory here, Columbian.

Still some hard feelings, I see.

I doubt they have the resources to craft cannons... So, magic then.

Sounds nasty. I'm guessing an attempt at an alpha strike to take down as many as possible.

I doubt the Witch Boy endeared himself to the warlock-breed. Much too capricious to make friends, when he can have playthings instead...

That'll probably earn him a few beers in the taverns when news spreads. Not that he partakes.

Yes, they'd have to be skilled enough, and loony enough, to make a play for a Lordship...

Which also raises the question: Is there a local Lord in play here, or was Witchworld simply part of Klarion's parcel? Which would make it John Constantine's now. Poor bastards.

And been largely rebuffed. No doubt some youngsters might be plucky enough to go for it...

Unless they could travel long distances, whether in the way Abednego does or other methods, there'd be little chance of them going looking.

And now I'm picturing him picking up whole fields at a time, and plonking them down in a new location.

And there's always someone looking for power, or desperate enough to break the laws, to produce more Warlocks.

Oh, that was a gross oversight of safety. But I doubt they expected him to be able to use magic.

Yes, keep him monologuing. He's bound to let something slip he shouldn't.

And if you should just happen to find something capable of killing the humans without risk to yourself, well, that's just a bonus. Bloody knife-ear.

Okay, OL, time to play the Rogue. Just remember the golden rule... Never split the party!

Time for a dungeon crawl, it seems. Time to bust out the eleven-foot-poles, warm up the lockpicks and ready your anti-magic bubbles. Hopefully it won't go all Tomb of Horrors on them.

Feels a little off: Maybe 'eating away at a shore'?

2. Temp0101

Temp0101 Not too sore, are you?

Im confused about the diffrences between all these groups, sheeda, warlock, oathbreakers and columbians. Can some one give me a summary its kinda confusing.

BartlettMagic and Faiir like this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Which is odd in and of itself given the whole "white dwarf" problem.

4. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Sheeda are humans from the future who have become something like the Dark Eldar, a psychotic race of sadists and raiders.

The Columbians are a group descended from one Sheeda that kidnapped several humans and impregnated many of the women.

Oathbreakers, or warlocks, are Columbians that break their oath to not use the Sheeda part of their magic and are physically transformed for it.

Warlock breed are the children and descendants of oathbreakers. They get the transformation when they are born even if they didn't break any oaths.

Either Melmoth did something to make the place the way it is, or it's naturally like that and we wouldn't know because most of our knowledge is theoretical and we haven't been to planets under a white dwarf.

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

6. cereal_lurker

cereal_lurker Getting sticky.

Could the Sheeda actually be from the future of Witchworld? The vampire sun created using some powerful battle magic used between these factions? There might be some magical legacy in the tower that could 'trigger' the Melmoth blood in the Columbians and transform them regardless of any oathbreaking... Seem like an interesting idea for all the pieces being laid on the board.

Ardy and Darko like this.
  7. ⸺⸺⸺

⸺⸺⸺

del

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Cuchulin, Lord Ernest and Ardy like this.
  8. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There is a very simple answer for this.

Time travel makes no fucking sense.

Well that, or the Sheeda are from an alternate future timeline, or something like that.

9. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

This speculation reminds me of the episode before Mandate, with the time travelling stuff that I still don't know if I understand.

Supposedly the destruction of the world and the experimentation and weaponization of Metahumans by the Reach is necessary for a Legion of Superheroes future? And the Earth has to fall under a fascist dictatorship after the destruction to recuperate or some crap like that? And the fascist needed to use time travel to save caches of weapons and resources in the past, so that in his time he could pull from them to unit the planet or whatever under his rule?

That and Mandate were good episodes, but time travel stuff is always screwy.

10. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Now I am wondering if Talon changed his name to Robin (or even Batman) and becomes part of the Justice Underground. Taking inspiration from the other Batmans and Robins who are usually heroic. No one will trust Talon, but they will trust this new guy who wears a hooded mask.

Just because the war is over, the fight for Justice will carry on. With his cybernetically enhanced mind, he will deduce what crime the Syndicate might be up to and stop it. He has Ultra-Batman potential in every aspect of the character.

Cuchulin, Darko and Xmaster3000 like this.
  11. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

barring?

Peter Wynne makes a great Lex Luthor. Employing convicted supervillains; working with the law and by means of the law rather than against it; inconveniencing the Justice League and surviving to inconvenience them another day.

12. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

village's, or are they associated to more than one village?

Mr Zoat and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  13. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

4th May
    19:22 GMT -5

I look at the hibernating maggot-like creatures with the very visible insects inside their translucent abdomens. Giant normal maggots, not Sheeda-maggots.

"Why..? Beetles?"

"Dark Melmoth wished to farm here. They would consume the stones in the soil, and excrete substances to provide nutrition to the plants."

Peter looks interested for a moment, before setting his face back into neutral and pointing his hands at the closest. A.. complex witch-sign appears between his hands.

"I notice that your people use a lot of biotechnology. Is there a special reason for that?"

Anarawd appears to try and decipher the reason for my enquiry. The conclusion he reaches appears to be 'person asking is a fool'.

"The magic we use to control them would hardly work on a mechanical device."

"Perhaps, but machines can be operated with magic; I've seen magic-operated mechanical arms. Is there a reason why you don't use those?"

"If you want to talk about the rulership of our society, I suggest that you capture one of the High Born. I have never seen machines like that, but there are many things which I have not seen."

Peter dismisses his witch-sign and shakes his head. "How do we awaken them?"

"They may be commanded by any who know the proper signs."

"Show me."

"Alas, I know only the signs for their cousins in the Land of Summer's End. Perhaps your people can discover it."

Which is fair. I wouldn't expect an office worker to know how to fly an aircraft.

"Anarawd, what exactly is a 'vampire sun'?"

"It is the malevolent orb about which our world rotates, feeding on the life and animation of all who dwell there."

"Do you know why your sun is like that?"

"It is as it is. It has been that way for as long as I have been alive. Perhaps even for as long as we have been Sheeda, and not human."

Peter glares at the maggot and tries a different sign, causing its beetle-sack to ripple slightly.

Mr. Tao looks thoughtful. "I am impressed that they have remained alive for so long. I cannot see any way for them to absorb energy. They are not eating. They are not exposed to the sun."

Anarawd makes a dismissive gesture. "This is no great span of time for one of our living tools. If the spells are properly laid in, they could survive the passage of eons."

"Does Melmoth have that skill?"

"I would imagine so. He is old in blood and bone, and led Harrowings before the Queen removed him from power. He would not have survived so long were he foolish or ignorant."

"'Is'? Do you share your colleagues' opinion that he's unlikely to be dead?"

"I have no special knowledge of Melmoth's status. These…" I assume that he's looking at Peter, though his sheer black eyes make it difficult to tell. "Descendents of his, may have been able to kill him. Those who lived here fell to us too swiftly for me to assess them. And anyone can be taken unawares."

"Abednego, did your people ever try to summon his shade?"

"We did not. That form of necromancy is proscribed, on pain of broken-oath."

"Do Sheeda bodies reanimate in the way grundymen do?"

Anarawd shakes his head. "When we die and our remains are taken by our kin, we are placed in the reclamation vats, that the materials used in our creation are not lost."

"Lost..?"

"To the hunger of the vampire sun."

"And that doesn't happen while you're alive?"

"Perhaps if we were to fly close to it. I have never heard of anyone try."

"But on the ground or in the air, you are unaffected."

"Yes. Though I do not see how our sun will allow you to prevent the Harrowing."

"I don't hate you or your society. My preferred solution is to find a way for you to exist without the Harrowing. To do that I have to learn how things work in your era."

"Would it not be better to solve that problem for your own era first? If nothing else it would give us more to take."

"I'm perfectly capable of creating a matter transmuter which runs on a Bleed torsion generator. No external input required; you can make whatever you want. I don't because I think it would destroy our civilisation. But if it's that or suffer through a planetary invasion I'm happy to toss you one or two."

Anarawd looks at me incredulously.

"What would stop the vampire sun from consuming it?"

"I-." I blink. "No wonder Sivana couldn't get decent data. He hardly ever used biotechnology. He had to outsource his own children's augmentation."

"Sivana? The small human with-. He devastated entire colony sectors."

"To be fair, if those colony sectors were generating the Huntsman your people sent after him, that may have been me." Hm. "Abednego, do your people have any record of the sort of creatures their forebears used while they worked for Melmoth?"

"Not that they put to pen." He looks thoughtful. "Though if there are unhallowed dead as date from that time still at rest in these lands, it would be no heresy to call them up and question them."

"Can grundymen talk?"

"Aye, well. There are spells to aid such things. But I must ask: to what end would I be raising it?"

"I don't know what's important. We don't know what Melmoth's ultimate goal was. Any firsthand account might be helpful, it might be informative or it might be useless. I have no way to know in advance."

"I will ponder the wisdom of it." He looks around. "I believe that we have seen all we may of this chamber. Anarawd, where else did you explore?"

"Further down. Though I warn you, if Dark Melmoth put any defences anywhere, they will be there."

"Did you discover some in your first foray?"

"Yes, but they were designed to keep out beasts. Sheeda-beasts and humans alike. They did not trouble us. But you are not Sheeda."

"'Tis a true statement. But I be somewhat more hardy than my forebears. Lead the way."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I still don't get the basic logic of the Sheeda. Ransacking your own ooast should make your present even worse.

How do they avoid getting wiped out by a paradox or two?

And the Vampire Sun that doesn't do anything sounds like fear i nducing propaganda.

15. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

'tries'

'his sheer'

'reanimate'

'to prevent'

'generators' or 'a Bleed torsion'

16. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The Sheeda may be utterly insane and think raiding the past is the only way for them to survive, and their insanity is what's making them think these things. Crazy people don't tend to make decisions which make sense.

Time travel makes no sense, so that's how they don't get wiped out by a paradox, or they come from the future in a parallel universe and they're attacking the past of another universe.

Did you not read the parts where it was mentioned the sun drains their life from them?

When Sivana got back in the Family Day episode he told them that he felt the sun drain his life when he was exposed to it.

17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...Ew. Sheeda biotechnology, folks. Still, I suppose it's one way of having artificial wombs?

Like living ploughs. That also fertilise the fields as they go. Clever.

I suspect he has that reaction to a lot of their questions...

Perhaps they lost the knowledge of such technology. It has been a long, long time.

Presumably the beetle things are a lot more efficient than anything the warlock-breed have right now.

Like trying to install a program from one operating system on a completely different one, eh?

That... Does not sound entirely natural...

So, their mutations may well have been adaptions to this Vampire Sun. Logical enough.

Some manner of biological quantum energy tap? Enormous internal reserves filled upon creation? Magic?

Magic, then. In this case, a wizard literally did it...

If he's still alive, where is he then? Hiding, waiting for the right time to emerge? Hidden away to lick his wounds in peace?

True enough. So many unpopular rulers end up getting knifed in their sleep by concubines and the like. Or poison. Hell, even illness can bring down powerful leaders.

Damn. Presumably to minimise the risk of body-jacking or similar, I suppose.

Now that's a familiar concept. Recycling the dead down to the last cell.

Seriously, this Vampire Sun is sounding less and less like a natural star, and more like some form of entropic thing.

So the drain increases via proximity. I assume the Vampire Sun isn't as far away as Earth is from Sol. Hell, it may orbit close by...

Ah, OL. Hating to see anything wasted. Honestly, I don't see much profit in reforming the Sheeda...

Somehow, I doubt it would be so easy. There's got to be something...

...It eats technology? Machines break down in its' light? It really is some kind of living Entropic aura.

Good to see he's left an impression on them.

Because they'd have become Grundymen, wouldn't they?

I have to wonder how much of the grundyman's memories remain when they rise again. Surely parts of their brain would have decayed...

Boy, this gets twistier and twistier... I knew Witchworld was unpleasant, but some of this stuff...

I doubt they lost anyone in their original foray, he would probably have lamented it...

And with a Lantern, purely physical defences are worthless...

The crawl continues, eh? But this Vampire Sun... It sounds like it destroys mechanical devices. Some sort of system to prevent Humanity (or its successors) from building up the tech base to leave the Solar System, perhaps? I wonder, are there any entities capable of such things in the greater DC universe? Like Solaris, of 'DC One Million' fame...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  19. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Could be that there's an intervening calamity that makes everything before that point irrelevant to what comes next. If, for example, out-of-control nanotech causes a Gray Goo scenario, whether or not there's a Harrowing a few centuries before that point isn't really going to matter.

Alternatively, could be a closed time loop, where the ransacking is a necessary step to weaken the races that come before the Sheeda.

20. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Maybe the sun is past it's natural lifespan and is set up to drain thaums from the planet to maintain itself?

21. Ancalador

Ancalador Know what you're doing yet?

Technically it isn't "their" past. They went back eons and wiped out a civilization through the Harrowing, then when the remnants created another civilization from it's ashes, the Sheeda traveled to when it was at it's peak and did it again, and again, and again.

The reason you don't get the logic is because there is no logic. Eventually they will catch up to themselves and they will die out, never having achieved anything except destroy societies that probably would have outlived them if they hadn't destroyed them first. Which is kind of a head fuck when you think about it too hard.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There was this Sandman comic where the suns were shown to be sapient beings, including Sol's sun, who was a waiter for a party.

It's possible that it either went crazy, or was replaced, and started feeding on the life force of anything around him.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  23. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Well we know that before Time Trapper!Paul did his thing any timeline that deviated too far from the "right" one only had a limited amount of juice before it collapsed. In that case either they've always bern in a timeline where Harrowings happened at those points and performing them simply closed the loop, or if it works by a "close enough" system then there could have been some other cataclysm due then and the Harrowing just upsurped the role.

Since Time Trapper!Paul's changes paradox doesn't mean as much. It'd just split off another timeline.

Honestly, my biggest problem is that each Harrowing happens after the first. You could get more resources if you work backwards. Basically have Harrowing #1 be modern day times, Harrowing #2 WWII, Harrowing #3 in steam punk times, Harrowing #4 ye olde medieval times and so on. That way you can loot the same place multiple times.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat limited them a bit from the comics.

Nebulah Man had the brain of a 31st century telepath as a souvenir, which implies that the Sheeda have already harvested the future in the comics.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Welp, there goes any chance of a counter invasion by Paragon.

26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Unless they can figure out a way to not let the sun absorb their energy.

Otto von Saurion and Ardy like this.
  27. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

That would make sense. If a magically mature but foolish society exists on earth as the sun reached the end of it's lifespan, they may have ritualistic inflicted it with a type of lichdom or vampirism to extend it, not thinking about the effect a star draining enough energy to sustain itself would have.

Bramble Thorn and Mors like this.
  28. BlueMangoAdea

BlueMangoAdea Alive. For now.

...But why? A sun is useful because it emits energy. Why would anyone make the sun drain energy? Am I misunderstanding something?

Cuchulin and Prince Charon like this.
  29. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Maybe it drains only magical energy (though that doesn't explain Sivana)? Maybe it does it because someone wanted to punish or trap the Sheeda?

Cuchulin likes this.
  30. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

Better question is why do the Sheeda even stay in their crummy, tapped out future with vampire sun leeching them of vitality or whatever? Even if they have some massive species wide cultural block on spaceships why not just relocate to distant past and dominate everyone with their OP fae magicks? They obviously have the means - if they didn't the Harrowing would be impossible. Go back a billion years and live like kings, if they aim right they'd even have dinosaurs as pets.

Maybe they are a race of masochists or maybe their elite wants them miserable in some Orwellian scheme.