1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The last two make the most sense.

Another two are that either they consider it some kind of cultural betrayal to leave their home, which people do in real life, even if leaving your home is a logical thing to do.

If the sun is sapient it may also somehow keep them from even getting the idea to just leave.

If someone tried to do something to the sun it may have been an accident that it ended up as a draining force, or it was probably a deliberate terrorist attack for some crazy reason.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and zeebza like this.
  2. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Experienced.

After who knows how many times of getting dumped in the sun by frustrated superheroes Vandal Savage ended up tainting it somehow. Yes, that's exactly what happened.

3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I know you're probably joking, but if I remember correctly Darkseid once died and tainted the Source, so this may not be the first time some villain has died and tainted the universe.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Diraniola

Diraniola I trust you know where the happy button is?

I've got it! The Sheeda are from a timeline where Wotan wins in episode 1.

5. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

They might not be adapted to living long term in the past.

Melmoth managed it but he made himself immortal, and the hybrids are half human so they don't count. That might be why they are so fascinated with the alterations to the witchbreed...

Or perhaps they don't have the resources for a global migration.

Having the resources to send enough Sheeda to the past to conquer Camelot in 8000 BC doesn't mean they have enough resources to transport billions of Sheeda.

6. Agent Orange

What makes you think there are billions of Sheeda? Considering how resource strapped they are I'd be very surprised if their numbers count in millions let alone billions.

7. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Easy answer would be "time travel doesn't work like that", but that's probably incorrect. Looking at DC examples, it's more likely that some form of time cops paddle furiously in order to resolve paradoxes, or something. Thus keeping the sheeda future stable.... Or the sheeda future is separated from the timeline by a future Time Trapper.

Empty supersun. Solaris. Spell to keep sun from expanding into a red giant. Possible answers.

8. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Hmm, would having tons of Bleed Torsion Generators to overfeed the vampire sun helps?

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

So they're being slowly killed by a vampire sun.
    [​IMG]
    And your plan is to feed it more?

10. Agent Orange

If you feed it too much mojo too fast it might barf all the 'life' back at them. That sounds like a recipe for immortality. It cannot possibly backfire! ... OL would want immortality for everyone, right?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Every time Zoat leaves a post, Morgan Freeman gets another freckle.

12. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

No, what they need is a really big stake. Made out of neutronium.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Assumes there is one.

Realistically however if there was one the Sheeda would have found it by now.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Or they wouldn't have, either because the sun may be controlling them and preventing them from finding a way to do it, or they lack the advanced tech to do solar engineering, even if they tried to make it.

Paul on the the other hand is allied with the Maltusians, one of the most advanced races in the universe.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  15. ⸺⸺⸺

⸺⸺⸺

del

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    nick012000, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You seem to have forgotten just how advanced their technology is.

One of the most advanced races... A billion years ago...

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And you forgot that Sivana said their tech wasn't as advanced as it should be, or that just because someone has advanced tech, that doesn't mean they can do everything.

And if they have the tech, why didn't they fix their sun?

So every race in the universe is now capable of making power rings?

So now every race has average members who are billion year old immortal super scientific omni disciplined geniuses?

So now every race is capable of going to war with the Reach and Apokalips and not get slaughtered?

Ancient China was one of the most advanced civilization 5000 years ago, and now it would be considered primitive if it existed in our modern world.

You cannot use the same comparison for the Maltusians and the rest of the universe.

It's like saying that modern Earth is more advanced than the Maltusians just because the Maltusians are from a billion years ago.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Tou cut out that Sheeran's reaction so this sentence doesn't make sense.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

I seem to remember from Millennium that India was more advanced than China until about 1000 years ago.

20. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

I did not know about this.

Changed it to 'one of the most'

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And this is where you admit you know nothing about the Sheeda.

Again, you are assuming a thing not in evidence.

IE, that the sun can be fixed.

Why would they when there's better tech out there?

Probably.

Both of those groups are dead.

Sure I can, because we know Earth is since it was actually Earth that created power rings.

22. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

And this is where you admit you are a pathetic individual who knows absolutely nothing.

Again, you are assuming a thing not in evidence.

IE, that you actually know things.

So every race has the tech that can allow them to communicate through light years, survive in the vacuum of space, heal injuries as severe as missing limbs, reignite suns, become immortal, teleport, and has all those capabilities cramped into a device the size of a ring?

Where are you getting your information from exactly?

You remember that OL is preparing to go to war with the Reach and Apokalips is still very much a thing, right?

If you mean their versions from the Sheeda timeline then please provide proof with a link that states that both of these groups are dead in that timeline, and also a link that says both groups are dead in the version of the Sheeda future Zoat is writing.

Seeing as you've never read this story or the statements Zoat has left I feel like I should tell you that Zoat doesn't like the n52 and has only included a handful of elements from it, like seriously just a handful of things, like if I remember correctly there was a link showing Zatannas newest costume and it looked like her n52 version, a handful of Lanterns in paragons corps showed up in the n52 comics as members of other corpses, and one New God and one supervillain from the n52 showed up in this fic.

That is the sum total of things from the n52 Zoat has included in his story.

Based on Zoats dislike of the n52 I fell like it is a safe bet to say that the chances of him making it so that the whole Volthoom thing happens in his story are as likely to happen as George R.R. Martin finishing his damn book series before he dies.

Ardy and The Unaligned Player like this.
  23. zerofarad

zerofarad Know what you're doing yet?

Or it could be an instance of a more general problem with fighting time-travelers – even if their death is in your past, other segments of their life may yet be in your present and future.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

They can do that shit with things smaller then rings by the 64th century...

25. fluffy

fluffy Not too sore, are you?

I mean from what I get its basically they attack at the end of a civilization and they take everything that civilization had and basically become the mysterious cause of that civilizations collapse. Like I swear in the stories they are in they are blamed for like the bronze age collapse and shit like that.

Handlewithcare and Cuchulin like this.
  26. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Provide a link to the comics that proves this.

Provide a link that races in the present time have such tech.

Do the Sheeda have 64th century tech?

If so, provide a link to the comics proving this.

Would that tech even help against a power ring, seeing as Abra's tech was beaten by Paul, and he's from the 64th century?

Someguy Somewhere and Cuchulin like this.
  27. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I'm wondering if the Vampire Sun is orange.

inglorius likes this.
  28. Threadmarks: Faed Away (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

4th May
    19:37 GMT -5

"…say hold!"

The lines of green poison weave through the air and strike at Abednego's ward-signs even as Mr. Yao sings through the register-!

A stone cracks, shooting stone fragments across the room. The deadly tendrils fade a moment later.

Abednego lowers his arms and nods respectfully at Mr. Yao.

"Thank you, good sir. Melmoth was clearly both canny and vengeful."

Leonid winces slightly as he clenches and relaxes his right fist, the light of my purple ray playing over the area of his right arm where the strands touched.

"Yes, that feels better."

"Good show."

"But I do not understand how the spell got through your construct shield. It did not damage it."

"Construct shields only block tangible objects. It might look like a glowing strand of stuff, but as far as I can tell the light it gives off is a side effect of the passage of the arcane presence. I haven't… Yet worked out how to make my constructs drain magic by default." I shrug. "That's something I can work on while we're here."

Leonid nods, and touches his spell eater with his left hand.

"And this?"

"I never said that spell eaters are a perfect defence. Usually magic users try to power through the draining effect, but a sufficiently skilled one could probably find a way to bypass it. Any protection can be bypassed, though… I'd like Doctor Balewa to study the interaction."

Anarawd is standing back, not far enough to appear as if he's trying to escape but far enough that he feels justified in his hope that the defensive spells won't target him.

"You have Sheeda protective amulets? Did Sivana recover them for you?"

"No, I and an Atlantean magician called Sephtian developed them. Draining a spell tends to make it fall apart and prevents the more complex effects taking effect. And they eat through ongoing effects if the magician isn't continuing to supply them with power. We haven't ever really looked into sophisticated ways to bypass them, because… They're already cutting edge and they're not supposed to be relied upon."

"And you did not design them based on your study of the works of the Sheeda?"

"We developed them months before I had confirmation that the Sheeda even existed." I watch his face carefully. "Hey, is that temporal proof that we survive the Harrowing? The data had to-"

"No."

"-come from somewhere, and your people aren't particularly innovative."

"We may be less creative than the People of Spring, but we are perfectly familiar with spell-crafting. We could simply discover those same principles without your input."

"Did you?" Abednego and Mr. Yao begin cautiously surveying the room. Peter is giving Abednego the eye… Because the level of skill he just showed is above what he thought the average Columbian is capable of. That… Could be a problem, but we can probably explain it by the fact that he's a guide to the parts of the continent outside the boundaries of Columbia, and needed to study for his own defence. "Because that sounds like something that would cause the creator's name to be a rather big deal in your history."

"I have not studied our history in such detail."

"And I haven't studied avionics but I still know who the Wright brothers are. Still, it's nice to know that I'm such a big part of your culture; the last few time travellers I've met haven't even heard of me."

"No, that-." His eyes move away from us to stare at nothing. "No."

"And do you have records of how the Sheeda came to be? How you stopped being baseline humans and became this? Was it gradual or did you intentionally remodel yourselves?"

"That-." He actually backs up a step. "That does not matter. This is who we are."

I.. think I should give him a while to stew on that. I don't want to make him so afraid of what the truth could be that he does something foolish.

"It's interesting to see a time traveller so ignorant of history." I walk over to where Abednego is opening… Some sort of chrysalis? No, it's a living creature in its own right. "Found something interesting?"

"Mayhap."

It opens easily in response to a witch-sign, revealing a suit of armour like what the Sheeda wore, broken into parts. No, disassembled. This is an armour station.

Mr. Yao looks at Abednego.

"Mister Abednego? Is this significant?"

"We have not had a suit of their armour to study prior to now. Arrayed like this, 'twill be easier than with the damaged versions in town. Mister Anarawd, is this manner of device the normal way of arraying your armour when not in use?"

"Yes. When not in use. Simply taking it off in the field is…" He spreads his arms slightly. "Unwise."

His armour was pretty wrecked, and I'm not sure that we can learn much from it. But clearly it did its job, given that he's still alive.

Four more pods, four more suits of armour. Did Melmoth have accomplices, or did he just keep these spares for himself? For himself and any worthy descendants? Five suits of armour wouldn't be enough to conquer a planet, but perhaps it would be enough to carry out an assassination? Or reverse engineer to produce en masse? As a.. time traveller, I imagine that he was perfectly comfortable with long-term planning.

"How long would someone like Melmoth live?"

"Dark Melmoth often boasted that killing him was impossible. That a relic of one of the earliest Harrowings sustained him better than mortal blood."

"Is that true?"

"He… Survived a great many assassination attempts. Wounds that should have been mortal. Poisons known to be deadly. When a new attack occurred, he was said to make a great display of it. But… This is reputation alone. I was born under the rule of our glorious Queen. I have never seen him."

"And none of the assassins tried the whole 'fate worse than death' thing? Burying him in a solid block of concrete, that sort of thing?"

"The Queen has decreed something along those lines. I… Would imagine that it was because he was not entirely without supporters, who would see opportunities in defending him or liberating him. Or perhaps he stages the attacks himself, to better demonstrate his power. At this far removed, I could not say."

Abednego makes a slow circuit of the room, witch-signs faintly glowing as he checks for other traps. Leonid takes a closer look at the armour.

"Should we put it on?"

Abednego shakes his head. "I'd not recommend that, not unless your forebears were Sheeda."

"Or perhaps use it as a shield?"

"Without the correct invocations, t'would serve you not." His sigils dim. "The room is safe, as far as my magics can tell."

"Let's press on, then. I want to see if I can actually block the next attack."

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It's very specifically a White Dwarf...

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.
  30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Maybe 'tendrils'

'shields'

'the normal'