1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

XF Move To-Do List

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Vanathor, Nov 26, 2014.

1. doomlord9

doomlord9 Experienced.

I'm not sure how to go about this but being able to refresh the 'New Posts' screen without having to click the 'New Posts' button would be nice. Thus far it seems to link to 'index.php?find-new/<#>/posts' with <#> being the number of times I have gone to that page as it goes up by 1 weather an hour or 2 minutes has passed since I last checked. Thus if I refresh 'index.php?find-new/38/posts' it will only show topics that were new for the 38th time I checked the new posts page rather than new posts period, including dehighlighting old topics instead of removing them.

Why it even does it this way I have no clue. It seems horribly complicated when it should be very simple to just have the page display new posts without a check on if you had visited it recently or not.

Screencaps of what I mean Spoilered below

[​IMG]

Hitting F5 to refresh
    [​IMG]

Clicking the New Posts link at the top of the page
    [​IMG]

Note the URL addresses and the numbers in them. It went from 223 from the first screencap, stayed on it for the second, and went to 225 in the third because 224 was when I hit refresh but it didn't update the URL for the new address and just dehighlighted the topic I checked.

It's not a critical failure but it is a minor annoyance I have noticed that should theoretically be easy to fix.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. Happerry

Happerry The Song to the Flame

Is there any chance we can get the [abbr] command back somehow? I used it in Beast Art Online a few times, and the loss has turned my characters post into a total mess.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

There is a link at the bottom for the default style(Hydrogen), but that's it currently.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Mu-Sensei

Mu-Sensei No Work, No Life.

is it possible to have a simpler (and less visually tiring font) as the default posting font for a dark theme, or is it limited to the white theme (Nitrogen?) I see it everywhere but the posts, so I think it is. If its too much of a bother to implement, just ignore this.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. tehelgee

You can talk to Alethiophile or Vanathor. They're the Stylists. :)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. Mu-Sensei

Mu-Sensei No Work, No Life.

Alright. Will do.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. GiftofLove

GiftofLove A Gift From The Heart

Sure this isn't the right place, but I can't seem to find this IRC guide that was in the announcement. Where is it?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Check the Help menu. Look at the bottom of the board to find it.

Ddmkm122 and GiftofLove like this.
  9. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

To anyone with questions or requests regarding styling, kindly direct your gazes here.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

What happened to the recent posts section?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. tehelgee

Temporarily disabled until I can find what's causing so much CPU load.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Google bots are raping QQ

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Get elegee to add a robot.txt

To site.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. tehelgee

I have.

I created one that blocks everything, but robots are not actually required to obey it. They can ignore it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Only the most irreputable ones will ignore it. All the major search engines like Google or bing will obey them.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. tehelgee

Well, we must be getting hit by the bad ones, cause there are more of them now than there were.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  17. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. tehelgee

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  19. tehelgee

I have discovered the problem(s).

1. Google only checks for the presence of the robots.txt file once a day. It won't see it til tomorrow.

2. Googlebots are distributed and each keeps its own record of robots.txt.

So, today is gonna suck but tomorrow should be better.

20. Ampersandwich

Ampersandwich Outl&ish Gr& Panj&rum

Is the formatting of old posts (see, e.g., here, mostly unreadable, or here, painful, or here, hilarious) expected to be fixed anytime soon?

If not, can you please make absolutely sure you have an uncorrupted dump of the old forum's database before the plug gets pulled on it?

Ddmkm122 and Valette-Serafina like this.
  21. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

It's not a matter of being corrupted. It's just due to the coding differences between smf and xenforo. But alethiophile is working on a script to systematically fix it. Nothing to be done about it until he is done, or you want to fix it manually.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. Ampersandwich

Ampersandwich Outl&ish Gr& Panj&rum

No, it actually is corrupted. See that last link, especially: there have been a number of spurious tag insertions, and there should be several "[hr]" tags which are not present. The conversion scripts misparsed the SMF BBCode and attempted to generate equivalent XF BBCode, but failed miserably in all nontrivial cases and many trivial ones.

This cannot be fixed solely by looking at the posts in the XenForo database. If that's what alethiophile's script is doing, it's not going to work. It can, however, be fixed by doing a proper import of those posts with a non-broken importer. (Which will probably have to be written. I realize I may be volunteering.)

Ddmkm122 and Valette-Serafina like this.
  23. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  24. tehelgee

@alethiophile is working on using the database from the SMF forum to fix links atm. The formatting thing is a different matter.

He can give a better idea of what can be done there.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. alethiophile

What I'm working on at the moment is setting up redirection from old links to new ones. This is, happily, mostly trivial given the existence of the entry ID conversion table. Hopefully this will be up in some reasonable form by tomorrow.

Afterward, it becomes possible to look at the conversion issues. Some things, e.g. the constant in the middle of things, are trivially script-fixable. The broken attributed quotes can also be made reasonable pretty easily. However, the corruption likely can't be easily fixed in a wholly procedural manner. I'll look further into how things broke once I'm done with the links.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  26. alethiophile

Double post FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

Redirection of old thread and post links should now be up and running. Old forum and user links now should redirect to the main page. (Getting these to redirect properly is just a matter of me writing another regex. Anyone who finds any, do say so so I can write said regex properly.)

Please note here any issues with redirection or failed links.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  27. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Does anyone have any idea of how endemic the corruption of data is? Is it an issue effecting more then a handful of posts?

Because if not, a simple solution would be to host the old SMF board of QQ on a free hosting level, keep it shut down for new posting, but let users retrieve their old posts at their leisure if said post is corrupted.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  28. alethiophile

Okay, a comparison of old (SMF) forum code with new (XF). Pastebin links, contents ripped directly from the database in both cases; the example I chose was the messed-up post by @Ampersandwich above.

There's no "corruption", per se. The differences are mostly: 1. SMF code stores most non-alnum characters as HTML entities, while XF code leaves them as UTF-8; 2. text size is specified in points in the SMF code, while in pixels in the XF code; 3. the XF code strips out the

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Ddmkm122 and Vanathor like this.
  29. Vanathor

Vanathor 『Back In Black』

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. alethiophile

I've registered a bug report with XF. This does just represent a flaw in their software, and a fairly serious one, at least the post I cited.

Many others are just differences in render rules, e.g. link-attributed quotes. As many examples of different kinds of corruption should be posted here as possible, both for passing on to the XF people where they're real flaws, and for procedurally fixing where they aren't.

Ddmkm122 likes this.