1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Speaking of non-DC sci-fi series and their impact on Paul, I find myself curious as to why Paul seemed to find Mr. Hamill's familiarity with the Stargate series bothersome. Is it a distaste for the series in general, or just the oddity of being familiar with Stargate, but not Star Trek?

Alexandercctv likes this.
  2. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

That's not really that odd TBH. As a gateway series, Stargate is so much more approachable. I know I started from Stargate, and with a newfound hunger for Sci-fi moved onto Star Trek.

Sadly, as the lesser series, Star Trek could never live up to it. :(

BR549, DeAnno, Alexandercctv and 3 others like this.
  3. 9adam4

9adam4 No emotion, only "peace"

Can confirm.

I decided to trigger my first payout of Patreon creator funds at the end of December.

First I got an email that my request was under review and should be addressed within a few days.

Two days later, I got a second email from the Trust and Safety Team. They had reviewed my account, and were pemitting me to make the withdrawal.

It was as blatantly Big Brother as I had ever seen. Once I confirmed that the funds were deposited, I canceled my account and let my patrons know why.

4. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

You... got your money and so you canceled it. Logical.

UnthinkingWisdom likes this.
  5. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

I know for a fact that konamikode has a patreon and shamelessly solicits (their words) for patrons. I think the important thing is that people aren't paying to read the fanfiction, they're just making generous donations.

So, uh... Were you joking about that? Cuz I'd like to know the title, if not.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

It's the obvious power combination.
    Thank you, corrected.

7. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

"What do you want?"

"A roast beef sandwich and for people to stop expecting me to actually like tea."

8. Promenius

Promenius Not too sore, are you?

No idea if he was joking about reading it, but the fic does exist here, on the QQ NSFW Creative Writing forums.

Called "Herpetophilia" IIRC.

9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you for pointing that out. I'll know who's avatar to watch out for tomorrow.

Well volunteered.
    It wasn't bothersome so much as surprising. He expected anyone who was in to science fiction to know about Star trek ahead of anything else.

10. 9adam4

It was made clear to me that getting my money would always be subject to having avoided wrongthink. I'm not willing to entrust any portion of my income to a business that treats me that way.

I've dealt with banks for years. Never once have I gone to my credit union to make a withdrawal and been told, "Okay Mr. Pugh, let me just take a minute to check your twitter feed and make sure you haven't said anything hateful."

Mors, Obliviated fan, Bgbg and 12 others like this.
  11. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Clearly you haven't been dealing with credit card processors, then.

Mors, Bgbg, Gholam and 6 others like this.
  12. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

I'll do what I can.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  13. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Guys? Patreon isn't exactly the topic here, We have a Rants thread for that here. Keep going and you'll get hit for Rule 5.

14. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

15. 9adam4

I am a US intellectual property attorney.

This is a grey area. Our best guess is that the owner of the copyright in the original works could legally get the fanfic taken down, but most won't. And if the author either explicitly or tacitly allows you to post it, there is nothing "more illegal" about money changing hands.

People think money matters because the profit motive can matter for a Fair Use determination. But this sort of derivative work is unlikely to be Fair Use anyway (unless it's parodying the original work).

For more on derivative works, take a look at the Rocky IV lawsuit. The short of it is that the creator of the plot from that movie can't make Rocky IV without Stallone's permission, but Stallone can't use Ivan Drigo without that creator's permission. No, I misremembered. Eh, well: still an interesting and relevant case, since it is essentially dealing with fanfic.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  16. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

• Rule 5 AND 8 warning. I called to get back on topic and you should know better.
    I'll admit part of this is for the obsessive idiots and likely SV mods that are going to follow to see if you have more 'wrong thoughts'.

I had no idea about that dumb as fuck rule change either. What gender someone wants to be shouldn't affect your right to free speech, SV mods can go fuck themselves with whatever they he/she/it has on hand. Not using the right pronoun isn't a hate crime it's at best a crime of grammar. If a guy wants people to think of them as her, or a girl wants people to think of them as 'him' then try harder on passing you lazy fucks. If some guy in a dress with a five o'clock shadow demands I refer to him as a women the only thing he'll be getting out of me for a while after that is laughter.

What worse is that your writing obvious fiction about a magical transformation and they're so far up their own ass their acting it's ideological commentary and taking it personally. Holy fuck that is self absorbed as all hell, guess what trans people aren't remotely that fucking interesting most of us sane people hear about something good happening say 'Oh good for them, what should I get for lunch'. To the majority of sane people, we don't give two fucks about your gender your just another nameless waste of space that is driving to slow in front of us on the road home from work. Get over yourself, and learn that the only thing you get from taking someone's right to Free Speech to make yourself feel better is contempt at your cowardice.

Bgbg and CrossyCross like this.
  17. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

• No Gender politics. Rule 8 breach.
    I swear, I'm really starting to think that no one that uses that term even knows what a Trap is. It's not a transgendered person. A trap, or trap style as I've always heard to be called, is someone, generally a boy, who deliberately dresses up as a girl for the specific purpose of fucking with people. It's a prank (one that I would advise having back up if you're gonna pull).

Hence, when the observant point it out.. "Dude....it's a trap. That's an adams apple."

If someone is calling a transwoman a trap....then you're using the term WRONG. And getting on my nerves in the process.

Somehow I just know Hentai is responsible for this confusion.

As for getting gender swapped....well I AM already attracted to my own sex so....Okay I'd at least HAVE to try it out. For science.

But I'd imagine I'd want my dick back. Luckily, even I was stuck, Vag to penis surgery does exist. Hell, in some cases, I've heard you can even pick the size. So...upgrade?

18. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

As much as I agree with most of your points, this is political stuff. None of that here so best to drop it.

Just enjoy the fact you can call a trap a trap here.

19. Mordart

Mordart Making the rounds.

I'm just facepalming at some people in here. If you absolutely can't help but reply to a CLEARLY OFF-TOPIC remark? Take it to Private Messaging. Don't continue the trend.

Bgbg, Ardy, mc2rpg and 3 others like this.
  20. 9adam4

• Rule 8 is a thing, there is a banner on the site with regards political posts, there have been numerous warnings in thread. Drop the trans/trap/gender politics derail.
    The term isn't just used for pranks. It's a derogatory term for anyone who tries to pass as the opposite gender and hook up on that basis. Whether they're doing it as a prank, or trying to make bank as a prostitute, or just genunely looking for sex, "trap" applies if the intent is to fool the other person regarding their anatomy.

And, like it or not, it's now also used as a slur (often tongue in cheek) for trans women.

21. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

This is not the place for this bullshit.

Everyone just stop talking about this.

22. AsTheGlassMelts

AsTheGlassMelts Believe in me!

EDIT: I didn't think this could be considered political, especially not current since this was from before Obama was president, and was typing before our savior Crossy posted, but just saw his posts and he could be right, so I'll not do anything more on this just in case that's true.

Originates from the 'it's a trap!' star wars image, was bandied around on anime boards referring to otoko no kos. That's where it's from. Otoko no kos are what we first used traps to describe in this context, and not all of them are trying to look like a girl, trying to fool anyone, and the vast majority aren't trans or gay. They're just traps.

It's not the intent of the trap that matters, but whether or not the audience of the trap could be fooled, at least as far as the origin of the current usage of the word, and it having been appropriated for other uses and somehow become offensive to trans when it does not refer solely to trans or even gays(the gay boards of 4chan do not allow traps because they are not considered to be gay, even if it is man on trap or trap on man) is due to a misunderstanding on the part of those offended and not on the part of those to use the term. Is it a guy? Does it look to be physically female? It is a trap, even if that is not the intent of the trap, and even if you are not attracted to it or fooled by it.

And it's basically spawned by hentai so hentai can't be responsible for the confusion, hentai would be the only thing doing it correctly since it practically invented it.

The knowyourmeme, although it has less information than I remember from my own time on the internet exploring this part of my sexuality in the early 2000s:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trap

23. 9adam4

Oh, shut your trap.

24. Ganurath

I just realized that the first story post on QQ has Paul getting hit by an involuntary discharge of white stuff.

25. AsTheGlassMelts

AsTheGlassMelts Believe in me!

The entire first arc here on QQ is basically the most QQ arc the story will ever have.

26. Ganurath

He enslaved a catgirl prostitute assassin in the same chapter that he accidentally fingered a giant spider. Also, the morning after his first night with Jade was one to treasure.

27. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I wasn't aware that defining a term/or sexual activity was political, but fair enough.

Still a sassy gay bottom (He knows he is.) being a little shit.

(Yes, my trap-artist friend IS reading over my shoulder)

Either way, H-dial strikes again!

I'd say it'd be funny if OL got zapped by it, but as his time spent as a massive gut jiggling demon, he can already shapeshift with his ring. So...not as many shenanigans.

28. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

It falls under gender politics, very recent at that. It always ends up becoming a debate.

Just don't mention it and enjoy your freedom to call things as they are. please.

29. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

Unless we also get Grayven as a White Lantern, then the Renegade storyline will be covered in White Stuff (By which I mean any time Grayven speaks the quotation marks will be White Font as opposed to Visual Default and also they will be Bolded)

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

To be honest I am more surprised that Stargate is even really a thing.

I mean... In Young Justice it would basically be a slightly altered historical movie with a couple race names changed for in universe political reasons.